Awoo.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Idk why but I keep forgetting about this Game.

I'm excited for it but idk

It looks like its not gonna have that "wow" moment like I had in returns.

So has anyone played this already, is there something were the gamepad is needed?

I'm used to wiimote only.

So.... I'm not having fun with this game? I loved Country Returns but... I'm just not finding this one fun like returns, I don't even know why, but I'm regretting buying this day one, I think I'll be trading it in tomorrow when I'm done with it.

Ah, Really? That sounds a bit worrying. Maybe platforming fatigue? 

Oh, and question.

Is there a World similar to The Cave in Donkey Kong Country Returns, in which it's dedicated to only Minecart and Rocket Barrel stages?

Just found this on Tumblr.

Cranky took an opprotuinity to take a shot at GameSpot

tumblr_n1bee24TiT1s8ouhxo1_1280.png

tumblr_n1bee24TiT1s8ouhxo2_500.gif

Words really can't express how much I agree with that sentiment, cranky kong is now my favorite character.

Oh, and question.

Is there a World similar to The Cave in Donkey Kong Country Returns, in which it's dedicated to only Minecart and Rocket Barrel stages?

I hope so, those stages was so fun. And the music makes it better.

Just finished it, yeah I didn't enjoy that much at all which is weird... But to answer questions if anyone's got any.

Oh, and question.

There's a few minecart levels, and a few rocket barrel levels too, I'm guessing each world/hub has at least one minecart level and one rocket barrel level since some of the levels are locked for me right now, i'm guessing it's because i haven't collected every jigsaw piece and collected all the Kong letters, I've just pretty much burned through it so I can trade it in.

The game is visually stunning though, but the soundtrack? I was expecting more if I'm honest... It's got some amazing tracks, but compared to Country and Returns it's very underwhelming. However Cranky's gramophone is hidden in one of the levels, and if you pound the ground near it, it plays the original Donkey Kong Country title screen music =) 

Just finished it, yeah I didn't enjoy that much at all which is weird... But to answer questions if anyone's got any.

There's a few minecart levels, and a few rocket barrel levels too, I'm guessing each world/hub has at least one minecart level and one rocket barrel level since some of the levels are locked for me right now, i'm guessing it's because i haven't collected every jigsaw piece and collected all the Kong letters, I've just pretty much burned through it so I can trade it in.

The game is visually stunning though, but the soundtrack? I was expecting more if I'm honest... It's got some amazing tracks, but compared to Country and Returns it's very underwhelming. However Cranky's gramophone is hidden in one of the levels, and if you pound the ground near it, it plays the original Donkey Kong Country title screen music =) 

From what I heard of DCKTF compared to Returns, I kinda find that hard to believe since a lot of DKC's music was just rehased DKC1 tunes, though I didn't hear all of TF's music so that could change.

What it seriously that unenjoyable a game that you instantly feel the need to trade it in already?

What it seriously that unenjoyable a game that you instantly feel the need to trade it in already?

Honestly? Yeah it is seriously underwhelming. I have a feeling due to the delay my hype died with the game a bit more than it should have, I was anticipating this game so bad, but then it was delayed and fell off my radar, until like I said earlier it just sort of "came out without me realizing" It is fun, but I've been thinking a bit more about why it doesn't leave a huge impression on me and I can only pinpoint a few things.

Controls are no where near as tight as Returns, water controls are abysmal when you need to maneuver quickly, and grabbing ropes/grass can be finicky and not register sometimes when it should have, DK also feels heavier in this game so when I've been so used to Returns DK, it's hard to adjust. The difficulty is pretty easy, I have no idea why most reviewers docked it's score for "being too hard" Returns is like the gates of hell compared to this. Over all it was ok, but I didn't enjoy my time with it as much as I was hoping to.

I can do a review if you guys want me to go into detail and list what i like and junk *shrug*  

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I heard of DCKTF compared to Returns, I kinda find that hard to believe since a lot of DKC's music was just rehased DKC1 tunes, though I didn't hear all of TF's music so that could change.

The DKCR tunes wdre slighty modernized versions of the older tunes to make fans of the first game feel nostalgia. Why i had an eargasm when I hearx the minecart and factory music. PPlus the majority of the beach world. And the volcano world were original

Honestly? Yeah it is seriously underwhelming. I have a feeling due to the delay my hype died with the game a bit more than it should have, I was anticipating this game so bad, but then it was delayed and fell off my radar, until like I said earlier it just sort of "came out without me realizing" It is fun, but I've been thinking a bit more about why it doesn't leave a huge impression on me and I can only pinpoint a few things.

Controls are no where near as tight as Returns, water controls are abysmal when you need to maneuver quickly, and grabbing ropes/grass can be finicky and not register sometimes when it should have, DK also feels heavier in this game so when I've been so used to Returns DK, it's hard to adjust. The difficulty is pretty easy, I have no idea why most reviewers docked it's score for "being too hard" Returns is like the gates of hell compared to this. Over all it was ok, but I didn't enjoy my time with it as much as I was hoping to.

I can do a review if you guys want me to go into detail and list what i like and junk *shrug*

Please do

Thanks for all of the information Super Soniko.

I actually have the game as of now, but won't be able to play until later in the day.

Hopefully, I'll enjoy it as much as Returns.

Controls are no where near as tight as Returns, water controls are abysmal when you need to maneuver quickly, and grabbing ropes/grass can be finicky and not register sometimes when it should have, DK also feels heavier in this game so when I've been so used to Returns DK, it's hard to adjust.

Wow. Not to say that you're wrong or anything like that, but this completely contradicts just about everything I've read about this game, ESPECIALLY the part in bold. Guess I'll just have to see for myself whenever I get this game.

I had great difficulty with the

puffer fish boss

due how the water controls are like, also adding air meters to Donkey Kong was the worst design choice I've seen for this game, we didn't need them in Country, Returns or Jungle Beat, why implement them now? It's just a cheap way of adding unfair damage when you're stuck exploring an area with no air bubbles to use up.

Rolling is still a problem in this game, even though you don't waggle shit to activate it any more, its a move that doesn't stop on a dime so you've got to time when to use it, or kiss your ass goodbye over a cliff edge :P It was good in it's own rights, but I don't know, maybe I'm just too hard to please with games lately, I'm hoping MK8 will make it worth re-buying a Wii U again, fucking SLW was a huge let down and I bought the console just for that, the only decent U games I've played so far have been 3D World and W101.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't remember the roll stopping on a dime in the original game. And you know you can jump while rolling into a gap, right?

Rolling carries your momentum when you jump anyway, so you'll still fall into the gap unless you have someone with a jetpack/helicopter hair.

Rolling is still a problem in this game, even though you don't waggle shit to activate it any more, its a move that doesn't stop on a dime so you've got to time when to use it, or kiss your ass goodbye over a cliff edge tongue.png

I seem to remember that it didn't stop on a dime in the original game, but you could jump and push back on the stick to cancel out of a bad roll. Can you no longer do that?

You go wherever your momentum is going, unless you short hop, you'll only jump a little forward, but you can't cancel your roll  by jumping straight up,you always come out at an angle which sucks.

I'm not saying that you could stop on a dime in the other games, part of the reason why you stopped in Returns was because of how shit the motion sensor waggling was, this you have to constantly press a button to keep rolling, and it's the same for dashing underwater, it doesn't always work well underwater though.

I picked up the game this morning and am currently about halfway through World 3. My impressions are in stark contrast to that of Super Soniko - I'm having a great time with it! Visually, it's a stunning experience and really pleasing to the eye. Control wise, it's pretty much exactly the same as Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, so if you're familiar with that control scheme then you'll be fine here. Underwater controls aren't necessarily perfect but they've been serviceable enough for me so far - maybe my opinions on it will change further down the line when the stages become more challenging. And of course, the soundtrack is excellent, definitely some amazing tracks in there that go along nicely with the traditional DKC music.

The only slight niggle I've found (that probably isn't a niggle at all) is that the rocket barrel seems a bit more sensitive this time, but that might just be me forgetting how to properly control it from DCKR. What seems to be a fairly gentle button press sends me flying further than I intended, but this is easily rectified with a series of smaller button presses instead. As I say, probably just me being out of practice laugh.png

Also, my favourite piece of music in the game so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybEwzEbYxW8

EDIT: Oh, and Dixie Kong is the best partner character by a mile. Cranky has a nice novelty value but he's a bit too context-dependent to be truly useful, and Diddy is all but made redundant by Dixie's altitude-boosting mechanics.

I'm up to World 5 now and I'd like to make two slight adjustments to my earlier remarks - firstly, yeah, the rocket barrel thing was entirely my fault. I was just a bit rusty. I've got the controls down now and can ride that thing with ease (well, aside from all the crap being thrown in your way, but you get the idea).

Secondly, having now completed World 4 - or as I like to call it, "the obligatory underwater world" - I can agree that the swimming controls aren't exactly spot on, but neither are they that bad. There's basically three different types of swimming: slow normal swimming, underwater spin attack (press X), and fast swimming (press B - also activates one of the partner characters' abilities in the process, e.g. Cranky attacking with his cane, and I can't remember if it's Diddy or Dixie who sends DK swimming like an unstoppable rocket). I guess it goes without saying but it seems to be a case of knowing which type to use when. You'll be tempted to use the fast swimming 99% of the time just to keep pressing on at a reasonable pace, especially with the air meter going down (again, I agree, no idea why that's there apart from to add extra challenge), but you'll need to go slow on occasion just to get throw tight gaps because DK's turning underwater otherwise is pretty sloppy, and the slightest hit will cause him to suffer damage. Once you know roughly what you're doing, the swimming levels are a neat enough addition, but I can't see them being anyone's favourite part of the game. Particularly when you factor in the puffer fish boss, too.

On the whole though I'm still very much enjoying the game. It's not groundbreaking, but it is what it is - a new Donkey Kong Country game - and what it does do, it does well. I personally think I prefer it to Returns so far, purely because it seems to have a bit more character about it, but even if you don't think it's better, it's still worth giving a shot if you like a good platformer and you desperately need something to play for your ailing Wii U.

S0 now I'm in world 2 level 4 and so far this game is quite good with platforming and visuals. It feels like donkey Kong has gain weight because he kinda feel a bit sluggish. I'm pretty sure returns was a bit more faster, but I'm already used to it so it hasn't bothered me that much.

The swimming is all right I guess. I totally forgot about the air meter. It feels like the game is nice with the air bubbles but I've to try out other levels. And plus I'm no fan of underwater levels it changes the pace especially if its the whole level. But it's okay so far.

Most of the music is non memorable, I don't know, I know they want it to fit in with the type of level but at least make catchy.

Anyways, I'm liking it so far, its finally nice to get a new game for the Wii u and yet another three months until mario kart which I think is gonna be those grand titles next to smash.

Edit: I take back on the controls I was not using my own TV at the time, and then when I got my game setup on my tv then the controls were better so now he doesn't feel all that sluggish.

I agree with doctor Mk, Dixie Kong is pretty diddy too because if you repeatedly tap the jump button you pretty much hover like diddy. So what a the point of choosing diddy Kong now?

I tried with cranky for a bit and i'll probably use for like speed running because you can keep your speed while bouncing on is stick

Edit: tried out time attack on 3-1 I already nailed the gold with my time of 01:46.24 I did it with Dixie Kong but I'm gonna try if cranky Kong can do better, I doubt it though because most parts involved Dixie.

We can compare times and stuff

Just listening to the music and I gotta say I'm really disappointed with the In a Snow-Bound Land remix. It's not just that it doesn't come close to the original, but it's also just not very good.

Here it is

and the original

Just got to World 6 now.

Admittedly, the game did take a little while to really 'grab' me, and even now, it's hardly something I feel desperate to finish ASAP. I don't think it helped that I replayed the DKCR3D recently as a sort of 'build-up' for this- the problem being that this is similar enough that it really hit home the sort of 'more of the same, is that it?' feel early on. 

Still, after that initial feeling of somewhat indifference, the game has definitely grown on me. I must admit though, the puffer fish World 4 boss needs to die in a fucking fire. mellow.png

Personally I'm fine with the minecart and rocket stages this time around- they're generous enough and have seen sense to use the regular health system in place of Returns' insta-deaths. The increased spectacle does make them particularly cool to look at, too. 

The bosses definitely seem a lot trickier this time around, in part due to the fact that they just won't die half the time. They can take so many hits that it's unreal. D:

One thing I'm wondering is how the game fares in terms of extra worlds. Granted I've missed most of the secret exits so far due to it being a first time playthrough, but I am wondering if there's anything beyond the six main worlds.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yes, I'm having a blast with this game. Killer level design and bosses.

Through I wish the had at least 2 more Islands before Dk island, 6 Worlds kinda feel short to me, compared to Returns with it's 8, 9 if you include Cloud world in the 3DS version.

They could've had a Egyptian themed island and a Asian themed one, even a haunted island.

Also I'm surprised their wasn't a killer Whale boss, or one possibly based off the Yeti/Abomable Snowman.

Im starting World 4 and it's great fun to be sure, I never played DKCR so the experience feels all the more fresh to me. I was kinda having a hard time getting used to everything but when I got into the game's groove it became a blast. So far the African level is my favorite as the game really gets good there imo. I hope the game can keep up the momentum