Awoo.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

I'll parrot what others have said and just say this game is a delight. I had no problem getting right back into it (it controls just like Returns, not seeing any control issues that Soniko mentioned). Don't mind the swimming either, but it is something you need to get used to. Once you do, the water levels feel like just another really cool stage in this amazing package; with Irate Eight perhaps being the best of the bunch in both fun and frustration (weird combination, hm?). I haven't beaten it yet, but from what I've played so far it's everything I could have hoped for in a DKC sequel.

Also, the Snowmads are a million times better than those damn Tikis.

Edit: Also, there is not a single track in this game's soundtrack that isn't anything less than great. To add to it, almost every single stage has its own unique music. Pardon my language, but it shits all over every other titles save for 2 (in the music department); and I'd say they're very close there.

• Thumbs Up 4

I just picked up this game today. And its seriously so wonderful. I'm currently just starting World 2 (the alps or something) and Tropical Freeze as of now is a much better experience than Returns. I lost interest in Returns around world 5. Donkey Kong for some reason controls better than he did in Returns (I found him to be kinda slippery then). The environments are beautiful looking on an HD Tv and the videos I've seen barely do any of it justice. There is just so much to like about it and I reaaallly can't wait to play more of it.

Also like everyone has said the MUSIC IS AMAZING. DAVID WISE IS A GOD. Every unique track brings such a great atmosphere to the levels and I'd say its worthy of Sonic music.

Who would have expected Hard Rock in DK?

Oh, I also like how I don't feel bad for beating the crap out of the enemies in this game. Cause the Snowmads are actual bad guys instead of innocent animals being mind controlled :C

I beat the main boss a while ago and all in all it was a great time, I'm glad I bought it.

Graphics are great, music is great, level design is great, has a ton of replay value with all the secrets and collectibles. My only complaints are that I wish the other Kongs were playable on their own and the final boss was kinda blah.

My favorite level has got to be the first Savannah level as it takes such pride in it's african inspiration that it's just…aww man. And the music is oh god the music.

About those Kongs, Soniman.

The other Kongs ARE playable. However, they are only playable in hard mode, which is like DKC's Hero mode (1 hit and you're dead, no check points). You can choose to play as any of the four in it.

The other Kongs ARE playable. However, they are only playable in hard mode, which is like DKC's Hero mode (1 hit and you're dead, no check points). You can choose to play as any of the four in it.

That's some bullshit right there. How do unlock that?

Seriously? They let you play as them solo only in Hard Mode? Agreed, that's BS. If they can let you play as them solo in Hard Mode, they can be playable solo in the main game, too. The way they could've resolved this? Just give Donkey Kong his damn spinning arms recovery from Smash Bros. and drop the whole "ride on the back" mechanic all-together.

At the same time, that makes me a LITTLE happy at least. They don't force you to play as DK in Hard Mode.

EDIT: The ride in the back mechanic somewhat makes sense, but really, what does it do that just making them follow DK's footsteps do not? Just do what the classics did; you have two hit points and when you die you switch to your partner. Or, if they really want to do it so that you keep playing as the same character, just make the partner take damage first the same way it works normally.

I'm pretty sure it's unlocked once you beat the game. Next time you load the file.

I watched GameExplain. You need to first complete the secret world and THEN you unlock Hard Mode.

Other than the whole "only play as DK" thing in normal mode single player I do like the look of the game and will definitely get it later.

I really dig the Minecart stage 4-2. =D

Doubt any Minecart stage can top that, unless there's another stage later into the game.

The mine cart stages were my favourite levels when I played, still not super into it, and the final boss can eat a dick.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just beat the final boss in World 6, overall impressions of the game remain firmly positive. While it's a shorter and perhaps less striking experience than Returns due to being very similar in nature, I still believe this is the better game because of the charm and (ironically) more 'original' feel it has to it. Whereas, to me, Returns felt very much like Retro were trying to recreate the DKC formula in their own way, this time they've got more creative control over things and it feels more like a new entry in the series rather than just "hey, remember this?". That's not to say there's not more they could have done with it, but it had a bit more soul in my opinion, and that helps it to stand out even if the gameplay remains relatively unchanged.

On the whole, I'd say it's a less challenging game than Returns (secret temple levels and a couple of boss fights aside... oh man how I hate the puffer fish and the Snowmad king). The levels definitely feel a bit longer though so it evens out, and there's not an overabundance of any one level type - for every few normal stages there's a minecart or rocket barrel level to change up the pace, or perhaps even a swimming level, which while the weakest part of the game for me, still comes as a welcome addition every now and again (with the exception of World 4 which is pretty much exclusively water stages).

Now to go back and find all the missing KONG letters, puzzle pieces, and get those last couple of figurines that are eluding me... I really wish it didn't spit them out at random, it could either take one try or a hundred tries to get them all now D:

• Thumbs Up 1

Seriously? They let you play as them solo only in Hard Mode? Agreed, that's BS. If they can let you play as them solo in Hard Mode, they can be playable solo in the main game, too. The way they could've resolved this? Just give Donkey Kong his damn spinning arms recovery from Smash Bros. and drop the whole "ride on the back" mechanic all-together.

At the same time, that makes me a LITTLE happy at least. They don't force you to play as DK in Hard Mode.

I'm pretty sure thats to stop players from abusing the other's abilities to make the main campaign too easy. If I could just fly around with Dixie all the time the platforming would be a complete joke and there wouldn't really be a punishment for getting hit. (other than dying, of course)

Anyways, I'm still loving this game. My favourite level so far has to be 4-3, and the mine cart stage right after is great. I'm only at world 2 and this game has so many memorable levels already.

So what's the consensus on this game anyway?

Judging here and reviews, some say that it's a great game all around, others say it's a good game that suffers from difficulty/controls as well as being too similar to Returns.

Well Im having fun speedrunning some of the levels and so far I have been doing pretty good.

I got the first two levels uploaded recorded from my phone, the quality is pretty bad but you can still tell what's going on at least in this speedrun.

and plus you gotta watch it in 240P or a blackscreen will show, at least thats whats happening to me.

1-1 (01:47.09)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6FAFr-r3pw&list=UUu2Fq0Hn2aupyfc6z2Q0NTw&feature=share&index=1

1-2 (00:56.92)

http://youtu.be/OWjkIuQzXx4

Im gonna give 3-1 another shot and record it this time to upload. mostly cause the level is just so fun to play in.

I beat the game tonight, and hot damn was Donkey Kong Island hard. I'm not ashamed to admit I used Kong Barrels in the Factory Stage and the fight against Lord Fredrik. Speaking of Fredrik, he's definitely a homage to King K. Rool in the way you fight him. Mix of King and Kaptain, with a few new tricks like freezing the ground and being so damn fat that anything he jumps on temporarily sinks into the lava below. Very short opinion, this is an amazing game. It's been a long time since I've actually played a game that demands significant effort in seeing the end, no Super Guide to save you this time, no easy mode, just your own skill and the items you buy. As it should be.

I'm pretty sure thats to stop players from abusing the other's abilities to make the main campaign too easy. If I could just fly around with Dixie all the time the platforming would be a complete joke and there wouldn't really be a punishment for getting hit. (other than dying, of course)

Anyways, I'm still loving this game. My favourite level so far has to be 4-3, and the mine cart stage right after is great. I'm only at world 2 and this game has so many memorable levels already.

It's true enough, with Dixie you could cheese almost the entire main game (you'll die a few times, but pits are pretty much a non-threat). I think they were right to put caveats on the usage of the other Kongs.

I beat the game tonight, and hot damn was Donkey Kong Island hard. I'm not ashamed to admit I used Kong Barrels in the Factory Stage and the fight against Lord Fredrik. Speaking of Fredrik, he's definitely a homage to King K. Rool in the way you fight him. Mix of King and Kaptain, with a few new tricks like freezing the ground and being so damn fat that anything he jumps on temporarily sinks into the lava below. Very short opinion, this is an amazing game. It's been a long time since I've actually played a game that demands significant effort in seeing the end, no Super Guide to save you this time, no easy mode, just your own skill and the items you buy. As it should be.

It's true enough, with Dixie you could cheese almost the entire main game (you'll die a few times, but pits are pretty much a non-threat). I think they were right to put caveats on the usage of the other Kongs.

Then why not use this caveat?

You switch like in the classic games. When your current Kong loses hearts he/she runs away and you switch to your partner. Don't make DK barrels refill all your HP.

Just a minor nitpick. I loved Returns, I just prefer the classic partner formula over Returns. If someone makes a new DKC game (whether its Retro or another company that picks it up) this is the first change I'd like them to make.

Also, Cranky is cool and all, but I did read somewhere one major problem with making Cranky playable. It basically outright denies all of the ranting and raving Cranky makes about how fast he can beat through the games and get through the levels and everything. Its downright awesome that Cranky is playable and can pogo jump on his cane, but, it just goes back to the little fact that the reason Cranky was so epic is because of his rants. Making Cranky playable loses a lot of the fun had regarding all his ranting and raving...

Either way, still cool to see him playable. I wouldn't mind him playable in future DK games, but I would like it if he was unlockable in future games so we still get Cranky's rants.

3-1 (01:40.72)

http://youtu.be/3wJ1jWqEDNA

Boy this one was hard to pull off with Cranky kong. he was good use for this stage instead of Dixie kong. it starts getting easy after the giraffe bit but I was playing it safe on how fast I was going so there is still room for improvement but im not touching this level for abit if its for speedrun.

Also its a no hit run too! You get a heart beside your time when you achieve a not hit run. But forget that.

Also,, Dixie was probably the kong I used the most. As Diddy just seemed like a weaker version of her and Cranky was kinda just to weird in his playstyle to use a lot of the time.

Cranky shines in time attack, his pogo bounce keeps your momentum (and from what I can tell, actually add to it). You can feel like you're going Sanic fast if you're buddied up with him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Get Donkey Kong for 30% off at Game Stop: http://www.gamestop.com/collection/trade-in

All you need to do is trade in a working game or accessory. Pretty neat deal. I'll be trading in my copy of Rayman 3D.

30% extra in-store credit when you trade any games, accessories, systems, smartphones, media players or tablets toward the following games:
  • Thief
  • South Park Stick of Truth
  • Titanfall
  • Infamous: Second Son
  • Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Valid 2/17/14 - 3/23/14

It's US only, though. :[

Cranky shines in time attack, his pogo bounce keeps your momentum (and from what I can tell, actually add to it). You can feel like you're going Sanic fast if you're buddied up with him.

Did not know this. I rarely use Cranky and I've not watched Time Trial videos yet from the leaderboards.

Thanks for the tip.

Jeez, taking time to notice background detail, Anyone get the feeling that the Lost Mangroves are part of the Bermuda Triangle or something, cause boy there are hundreds of crashed Planes and Ships their, both modern and old, apparently even attracting Space ships like Samus Aran's Starship too.

Anyone got a favorite Island so far?