Awoo.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Get Donkey Kong for 30% off at Game Stop: http://www.gamestop.com/collection/trade-in

All you need to do is trade in a working game or accessory. Pretty neat deal. I'll be trading in my copy of Rayman 3D.

It's US only, though. :[

It's not 30% off Tropical Freeze.

It's 30% more Trade-In Credit TOWARDS Tropical Freeze. If you traded in a $10 game you'd get an extra $3 in credit if you were purchasing Tropical Freeze with that credit.

Probably world three would be my favorite. The levels are just too good.

Then world 4 comes.....ok its not that bad but there was too much swimming and the pace was just slow.

You guys should take a look at this insane speed run of Stage 1-K.

I thought my time of 1:39 was decent.........until I saw this. =(

It's not 30% off Tropical Freeze.

It's 30% more Trade-In Credit TOWARDS Tropical Freeze. If you traded in a $10 game you'd get an extra $3 in credit if you were purchasing Tropical Freeze with that credit.

Oh.

I see.

*sigh* Guess it'll have to wait a little longer.

Just finished the game. Absolutely fantastic from start to finish and easily one of the best games that I've played in quite some time. Retro really took everything that worked in DKCR and cranked it up to eleven. Between the gorgeous graphics, the inventive level design, the great atmosphere, and the amazing soundtrack, every second of it was just a complete joy to experience every step of the way. It'll definitely take quite a bit to bump it from its current status as my Game of the Year so far.

Just finished the game. Absolutely fantastic from start to finish and easily one of the best games that I've played in quite some time. Retro really took everything that worked in DKCR and cranked it up to eleven. Between the gorgeous graphics, the inventive level design, the great atmosphere, and the amazing soundtrack, every second of it was just a complete joy to experience every step of the way. It'll definitely take quite a bit to bump it from its current status as my Game of the Year so far.

sadly SSB4 will proably knock it off that post, either that or Hyrule Warriors

Unlikely Hyrule Warriors can do that. SSB4 can give it a run for its money, but this honestly the first time I can agree that a came released so early in the year and yet already be a clear contender for GOTY. Everything just went so right that I don't see how it won't be difficult to top.

Just beaten the Secret Seclusion world and unlocked Hard mode. Man, even though it only had three levels, that world was challenging! That and the Kong temple levels are definitely the hardest in the game, mainly due to the lack of checkpoints. But what a sense of accomplishment upon finally beating them! Glorious stuff. Good to see our first ever hybrid minecart/rocket barrel stage, too.

Anyway, for any doubters, here's proof that you can play as any Kong in Hard mode (note the one heart, proving it's not co-op):

2d790fo.jpg

Playing through with Cranky alone seriously feels like a new DuckTales game... and I love it! I'm a bit confused as to why they made this an unlockable feature and not let you pick from the start - after all, the other characters can basically do everything DK can - but I guess it was for the sake of balance so people see the buddy characters as a reward and get the benefit of their special moves by playing well and keeping them along for the ride. Getting to play as them solo in Hard mode feels like a genuinely cool reward - all the difficult work is essentially done, so now you get to have free reign over how you play the rest of the game!

Gonna go back and find all the missing jigsaw pieces now. Finished the figurine collection, managed to get lucky and grab the final one without too much difficulty after it unlocked. Then onto time trials and Hard mode!

• Thumbs Up 2

So after finding the secret level 4-B shoal atoll. Its probably my most hated level. It was annoying and going in blind thinking I would get checkpoints and stuff.

I only died like three times but it was long. The first time I was exploring the place not realizing its a key hunt. I realized this after doing one lap.

Its annoying when your close to being done and its ruined by some extra enemies when you need to get the last key and that part I died twice. Dixie was best choice because I used her Kong pow to stay alive longer.

I love the kong pow though its really useful.

So yea, never again.

So after finding the secret level 4-B shoal atoll. Its probably my most hated level. It was annoying and going in blind thinking I would get checkpoints and stuff.

I only died like three times but it was long. The first time I was exploring the place not realizing its a key hunt. I realized this after doing one lap.

Its annoying when your close to being done and its ruined by some extra enemies when you need to get the last key and that part I died twice. Dixie was best choice because I used her Kong pow to stay alive longer.

I love the kong pow though its really useful.

So yea, never again.

Yeah I'd agree that level is one of the weaker ones, purely because it's easy to go round and round in circles - which, when you have an air meter to keep an eye on too, can become a bit of a pain. But once you know the right sequence, it's not too taxing.

I think Dixie is just all round the best Kong to choose as your partner. She has the best air movement and her Kong Pow move, as you say, provides you with extra hits which in the context of an actual level are probably infinitely more useful than life balloons or coins. I do tend to forgot the move exists, but it's saved me from an otherwise inevitable death on a couple of occasions now, so it's a neat little addition when you remember to use it laugh.png

I think what they wanted to differ between Dixie and Diddy is that Dixie excels in vertical air while Diddy has horizontal, but I feel like Dixie has never had a problem with horizontal air and she feels way better to use as a safety net then Diddy.

I think what they wanted to differ between Dixie and Diddy is that Dixie excels in vertical air while Diddy has horizontal, but I feel like Dixie has never had a problem with horizontal air and she feels way better to use as a safety net then Diddy.

I find that to be very weird, I'd think it'd be the opposite. Originally Dixie was always very horizontal in the original games, and Diddy more vertical with his jetpacks.

Then again if you repeatedly tap the jump button with dixie you are pretty much hovering like diddy,

The only time I'd probably use him is for speedruns for underwater.

I find that to be very weird, I'd think it'd be the opposite. Originally Dixie was always very horizontal in the original games, and Diddy more vertical with his jetpacks.

Dixie had a Glide in DKC 2 and 3, giving Diddy the Jet-pack in this and Returns makes Dixie's original purpose redundant or they could've switched their air abilities in Tropical Freeze as that would've made more sense.

Really fucking hate that there's an air meter in this game, its stopping me from enjoying aquatic stages, otherwise the game is growing on me each time I play it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Especially considering there was no need for one in the original games. I think the Air Meter doesn't really add anything then make the levels more annoying then they need to be

• Thumbs Up 2

At first it didn't bother me but now that im exploring and stuff its starting to piss me off. Shoal Atoll is the worse level in the game.

I only died three times.  died twice at the end which is PAIN.

its a slow process of getting the kong letters for me. I just need them in world 6 and then complete the temple levels and then done that part.

i notice a small detail in the rocket barrel stages. when you hover close to the water you can see the water get push away from the barrel and the closer you get, the bigger the wave of water you push. kinda cool to see I guess. Not sure if this was in the first one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Especially considering there was no need for one in the original games. I think the Air Meter doesn't really add anything then make the levels more annoying then they need to be

The original games didn't need them because they weren't designed around restrictive environments and were entirely comprised inside the water areas. DKC's original water levels were very straightforward compared to DKCTF's water levels, which are treated in a lot of aspects like a different breed of obstacle courses within the stages.

Tropical Freeze's iterations of the water levels have more in common with DKC2's water levels, which didn't have an air meter, but would impose more controlled and restrictive environments by sometimes having to cool down the water and race between surface points, or introducing characters like Snapjaw.

• Thumbs Up 4

In 6-4 the Rocket barrel in the cave, I think that has to be my favorite Rocket stage. its pretty intense and the remix is way better than the other remix of the rocket barrel music.

It funny to see the Big purple Bat that you see in Returns is all frozen up. I always hated that Bat, with his Laser beam cannon. he's staring at Donkey Kong like it was his fault that the island is frozen. 

What's with the boss battle music on this game?!

They make me wanna nod my head like this:

qtKQf.gif

I also like the cute bee enemies on this game. Much better than those evil wasp bastards from the originals. Although I only say that because they seriously creep me out back then. In fact...they kinda still do...

ZingerDKC.jpg

*shudder*

Also, speaking of water levels, when I noticed this game had them, I half expected to bump into an old friend again. But...alas...

EnguardeArtworkCountry.png

I still freakin' love this game, even though I'm dreading the temple levels. XD

With dk returns gameplay, I can't see how it worked in this game

But I shouldn't say since I never played with that fish (forgot name)