Awoo.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

I think something Retro could do in the future to have multiple playable characters in the future instead of this piggyback crap is to give all characters their own unique strengths and weaknesses again.

For example, give DK the spin he has in smash bros but with limited rising, so that he isn't completely unusable in the air. And give him back the strength to kill certain enemies like in the old games how he was the only one who could kill Krushas.

Let Diddy stay the same, but he needs to stun certain enemies with his peanut gun to actually do damage to the bigger ones.

Dixie can stay the same too, but take away her bubblegum gun so that she has the weakness of diddy, but can't kill most enemies to make up for he broken double jump.

Let Cranky have his pogo stick but lose the teeth shooter. He has no way to stay in the air once his bounce is done, but he makes up for it with the pogo that keeps him moving. The speedrun character essentially.

I can see why many love this game....its amazing man biggrin.png!

Played the GameStop demos of this and 3d World the past two days (don't own a Wii U, but at least Nintendo are giving GameStops more demos; the system has the most demos out of all the systems playable at GameStop...) and now can't wait to get a Wii U in a few months for this.

Played 1-1, 1-Mine Cart, and 6-1 and they were all so much fun. The controls on the gameplay feel so fluid, having full control of DK without the dam waggle feels great and the underwater controls feel so smooth. The new partner Kongs are really fun to use too, with Cranky being the best with dat pogo bounce really making the level feel so fast (almost Sonic like to me). The presentation is awesome as well, with such vivid colors in 1-1 and really beautiful snow in 6-1. But the music..the MUSIC MAN! It is by far one of my new favoirte gaming soundtracks with all the ones I lissened to so far being so gooood (Grasland Grove, Scorce and Torch, Sawmill Thrill....the list is endless blink.png!).

I'm really glad I was able to play this modern masterpeace and cannot wait to play the full version of this down the line :).

Yeah that Pogo Stick bounce of Cranky's is really useful, infact you may need it to reach 2 specific secret exits.

I actually used Cranky in 2-K and it went by smoother than when I did it with Dixie.

BTW, not doing that stage EVER again, nope, nope nope! On my new game, I'm skipping it. That shit is more stressful than SM3DW's Champion Road.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dixie had a Glide in DKC 2 and 3, giving Diddy the Jet-pack in this and Returns makes Dixie's original purpose redundant or they could've switched their air abilities in Tropical Freeze as that would've made more sense.

That's my whole point. She had a glide; that's more horizontal than vertical, and apparently in this she can go higher than Diddy? That's really strange, you'd think the jetpack would be able to go higher than Dixie spinning her hair around (which she only ever used to glide in the originals).

Also, they didn't give Diddy a jetpack in these two games. They brought back the jetpack he had in Donkey Kong 64. Its actually a bit of continuity there, really; they're acknowledging DK64 and showing that Diddy kept the jetpack Cranky built for him during DK64. (Ironic that it was CRANKY of all people who gave Diddy the jetpack.) And in DK64, the jetpack was very much vertical, but ran on crystal coconuts.

Naturally, now the jetpack just has limited air time, but I still find it weird that its more horizontal than vertical. Just make it a bit more vertical than horizontal and problem solved; Dixie can get her infinite glide back.

I think something Retro could do in the future to have multiple playable characters in the future instead of this piggyback crap is to give all characters their own unique strengths and weaknesses again.

For example, give DK the spin he has in smash bros but with limited rising, so that he isn't completely unusable in the air. And give him back the strength to kill certain enemies like in the old games how he was the only one who could kill Krushas.

Let Diddy stay the same, but he needs to stun certain enemies with his peanut gun to actually do damage to the bigger ones.

Dixie can stay the same too, but take away her bubblegum gun so that she has the weakness of diddy, but can't kill most enemies to make up for he broken double jump.

Let Cranky have his pogo stick but lose the teeth shooter. He has no way to stay in the air once his bounce is done, but he makes up for it with the pogo that keeps him moving. The speedrun character essentially.

I think all of them should keep the guns, in fact, Donkey Kong should get his Coconut Shooter back as well. I do like the idea of allowing DK to only kill certain enemies, though for Dixie, just give her back her glide from the classics. Problem solved; she has no vertical double jump capacity whatsoever but she can glide at a slow descent until she hits ground or gets hit.

This would vary things far more; Cranky's pogo jump allows him to not lose any momentum whatsoever at the cost of less air time, and Diddy has extra air time. Meanwhile, Dixie has the most air time, but does not have additional vertical air time whatsoever. Diddy's jet barrels should be more vertical than Dixie's spin anyway.

And yeah, DK does need his spinning arms attack from Smash Bros. In his case, he probably won't get much air time from it, but because he IS stronger he should have a worse double jump. But he should still have a double jump.

Don't necessarily know if Retro has to do another DK game, though. If they want to make another DK game, fine by me, I'd love that. If they want to pass it off to someone else, not a problem either.

For those who own the game, I have one question, from the gameplays I've seen, I rarely see any barrels outside the character barrels, rocket barrels and cannon barrels, are there any normal barrels you simply throw at the enemies later on the game? Or are they using the enemies and those Melon Bombs for that now? Cause it seems rather weird for them to abandon such trademark of the series.

Yeah there are a few normal barrels, most of the time hidden in the ground in conveniently placed areas perfect for throwing a roll out and taking out several enemies at once.

So taking a shot on hard mode in world 1 and the temple level is kicking my ass.

Its the awkward vine climbing that throws me off. It feels so slow when climbing vines. Probably just me because I'm climbing for my life trying to not get hit. And no checkpoints too. I died 5 times in 1-1!

You also gotta get the Kong letters again which is going to be a pain in minecart, rocketbarrels any of those levels is gonna be returns all over again except these levels are crazier.

• Thumbs Up 1

For those who own the game, I have one question, from the gameplays I've seen, I rarely see any barrels outside the character barrels, rocket barrels and cannon barrels, are there any normal barrels you simply throw at the enemies later on the game? Or are they using the enemies and those Melon Bombs for that now? Cause it seems rather weird for them to abandon such trademark of the series.

Donkey Kong Country Returns pulled back on the barrels significantly as well. That was something I missed in DKCR. I've recently started playing DKC again, and I've noticed just how many barrels are in this game. You're constantly finding barrels, but in DKCR they cut back severely. Rocket barrel sections do exist, far moreso than in DK64, but again, not as common as in the originals.

Seems like Tropical Freeze is about the same, but perhaps they added a bit more? I do miss the save point barrels, too, honestly. You also can't set barrels down anymore, either.

EDIT: To clarify, I KNEW there were far more barrels in DKC than DKCR. Its just been so long since I played DKC that there's far more barrels around than I remembered. Another staple of DKC that's been dropped are tires, though its possible that tires started waning in DKC2 and 3, can't quite remember at this point. I'll play through them again after I finish DKC of course.

Is this game harder than returns?

I'd say it's ever so slightly easier. The challenge is definitely still there, and it comes at you with full force in some of the secret levels, but on the whole I had a far less frustrating experience than I did with Returns. The fact that you now have two hits for minecart and rocket barrel levels by default makes them much less stressful, and having Funky's shop to keep you stocked up on supplies if you need them is very welcome. Also, Dixie is such a great addition, she makes some of the stages far easier to deal with than having to go in with DK alone.

So for my money, it's still hard (undoubtedly!), but in a fairer way than it was in Returns. Some of the stages in that game, just... raaaaaaage...! :lol:

I say the rocket barrels are way harder than returns rocket barrel but tropical freeze made it easier giving us two hearts with mine carts and rocket barrels.

The level design is easier than returns I must say.

Or maybe its because I already knew how the game played so I was pretty much prepared for any type of difficulty in this game.

The last two bosses was difficult though they put out a fight.

Got this game three days ago and I'm currently up to World 5. So far, it's one of the best games I've ever played. The controls are nice and tight (Even underwater which really surprised me) the levels are very dynamic and have interesting level design, themes, and gimmicks (I really enjoyed Frantic Fields, Scorch 'N Torch, and Irate Eight). Not to mention that the soundtrack is already my favorite out of any game ever. I'm not even kidding, either. The music in this game is so damn good and memorable that it generally only took 1 loop of each song before I completely memorized it and was humming along with it. It even gave me chills in quite a few places, such as Amiss Abyss and Irate Eight.

I don't even know what game GameSpot was playing, 'cause I don't see how this game is in any way "repetitive", "unfair", or "dull".

Just about to finish world 3 boss hard mode. Its actually hard doing perfect with this boss.

And its funny how the the chimpanzees becomes sonic by doing a spindash with the actual sound effects.

I had to sacrifice Ocarina of Time 3D to the Game Stop gods to get it, but I have acquired Tropical Freeze.

And I'm currently having Mexican food.

Aw yeah.

Time for Mexican Monkey night.

And it may or may not include

Samba de Amigo Wii as well~

A couple of quirky little CG trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VksJPWo-Lhs

I'm surprised he didn't end up like him

new-ice-age-4-continental-drift-images-7

• Thumbs Up 1

Strong new releases helped sales of Wii U software and Nintendo 3DS software in February increase by more than 180 percent and more than 25 percent, respectively, over the same month last year. Wii U software sales were driven by the Feb. 21 launch of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, which sold more than 130,000 combined physical and digital units in its first eight days on the market. This helped sales of Wii U hardware increase by nearly 25 percent over the same month last year.

In early 2013, Fire Emblem Awakening launched for Nintendo 3DS and became one of the surprise hits of the year. Bravely Default, which launched for Nintendo 3DS on Feb. 7, improved on the launch of Fire Emblem Awakening by more than 10 percent, selling more than 200,000 combined units in just over three weeks.

Other sales milestones achieved by Nintendo in February include:

Bravely Default and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze finished as the No. 2 and No. 4 best-selling software SKUs for the month of February.

Pokémon X and Pokémon Y for the Nintendo 3DS system sold more than 130,000 combined units in their fifth month on the market. This brought the life-to-date total to more than 3.4 million combined units in the United States alone.

Over the next few months, Nintendo will launch a series of games from fan-favorite franchises including Yoshi’s New Island (Nintendo 3DS, March 14), Disney Magical World (Nintendo 3DS, April 11), Mario Golf: World Tour (Nintendo 3DS, May 2), Kirby: Triple Deluxe (Nintendo 3DS, May 2) and Mario Kart 8 (Wii U, May 30).

PR email from Nintendo.

It didn't sell nearly as much as DKC:R Wii but it sold much more than DKC:R 3DS' first week sales it seems.

kkr.png

This definitely looks more intentional than the last K Rool rumor. One of the eyes are even bloodshot.

• Thumbs Up 6

The other one hardly looked unintentional either. But this one really takes the cake.

Well....I finally beaten the game in hard mode. Obvious Kong to use was Dixie of course, if I went with donkey Kong I'd still be having trouble.

And you had to get all the Kong letters again, except they are blue. At that point I would just kill myself if I miss it because I am done being stuck with one heart, it was a frustrating journey, but at the same time it was enjoyable because the controls worked so well so every time I die, I know it was my stupid mistake.

Well except the swimming levels, the swimming controls felt weird and it was just too hard to control my character and tense moments. In 4-4 irate eight, is probably one swimming level I actually like, it would of been one of my favorite levels but the controls just get in the way.

Based on the concept art they had a level were donkey Kong was in space on the moon or some asteroid and I think it would of been pretty sick with the gravity and stuff.

I would so dig if the next game takes place in space, and call it, Donkey Kong Country: Galactic jungle.

It was nice playing it again and actually giving me a challenge. I still hate the final boss, I can't even replay it for fun. I'll come back to it once I'm doing speedrun and stuff.

Now I'm going on a mega search of puzzle pieces and gamexplain barely started their guide for this game, I'm not sure why though. But I don't plan on finding the puzzle pieces blind, then again I can buy the bird at the shop, but who knows if that will help me.

Once puzzle pieces are done, I'll get to speed running all the levels and try and get gold. Not shiny gold that is a bit too insane, and lots of levels are too insane for me to get it done that fast.

So I'm far from being done with this game. Hopefully I'll be done before mario kart 8 comes out, if its out before I'm done, I'll probably never finish.

Any one else finish hard mode and collected the blue Kong letters?

I might do a review but I haven't done one before.