Awoo.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

They could possibly work on Metroid after this.

Interesting that this is gonna show water levels. I thought they were cut from the first game because Retro thought they weren't fun enough?

I'm sure they got plenty of backlash from fervent fans for that water levels remark. Nice to see them listening.

The original is one of my favorite platformers, but I can't help but feel disappointed Retro isn't working on F-Zero or Star Fox. Did anyone even ask for a new DKCR?

Is this some sick joke?

• Thumbs Up 3

There's a fourth yet unannounced playable character.

I'm hoping against all probability that it's Cranky.
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm probably the only one here who wants it to be this bad boy-

kiddy_kong_02.png

Here's betting it's Funky though.

• Thumbs Up 3

Translation: "We asked to do Metroid, and Nintendo politely pointed out that DKCR sold more than copies than the Primes combined, so yeah. Also that Other M thing kinda ruined it for the rest of us."

hahaha

welp

-bang-

The secret character could be Kiddy Kong. =P

Trailer has got me really excited for Tropical Freeze now. And I know there are still no Kremlins, but those new enemy designs are very cool indeed! So much better than the Tiki's.

I have a feeling it will be Kiddy Kong. All of the additional characters seem to be sidekicks to DK, so it makes sense to have Kiddy in there alongside Diddy and Dixie offering support to the big ape. Having Funky or Cranky as sidekick characters would seem odd, whereas Kiddy seems a lot more plausible and it would be yet another throwback to the classic series.

Translation: "We asked to do Metroid, and Nintendo politely pointed out that DKCR sold more than copies than the Primes combined, so yeah. Also that Other M thing kinda ruined it for the rest of us."

I seriously don't think Retro wanted to make another Metroid, and even so I don't think they should stick to doing Metroid all the time.

They did three games and assisted on a side game for the DS. Their entire career has been Metroid. They did a bang-up job on all of them. It's time to move on towards greener pastures. By complaining about them "wasting time on things no one asked for" when all you want from them is a new Metroid it makes you frankly sound like kind of a hypocrite.

While I'd rather see them do other things instead of necessarily sitting on another franchise with DKC, it's at least them doing more of something recent and new that they had difficulty adapting to yet did really good at. They did fantastic with Metroid and now it's time to live it up with DKC. Whether you like it or not, you cannot fault them for that, and DKCR has proven to be fantastic in quality and performance.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm still wondering why Nintendo- the company actually responsible for these IPs we all want- is suddenly exempt from doing them in light of this news. Even if Retro deliberately decided to scrap another Metroid being tossed around for another Donkey Kong Country game, Nintendo's still the big elephant in the room here. They're the ones who should be most responsible for utilizing these IPs, and it's not like they have a horrid reputation; rather, they have the talent and capital to take the reigns on all of them. I almost feel like this whole sentiment is akin to deriding Sega for not doing another F-Zero. :/

It looks fun but I'm still kinda disappointed that the Kremlings aren't back. I mean, yeah the vikings are less generic than the tiki tok tribe(though they did have a pretty cool theme), but Viking Kremlings would've been kickass.

• Thumbs Up 1

I seriously don't think Retro wanted to make another Metroid, and even so I don't think they should stick to doing Metroid all the time. They did three games and assisted on a side game for the DS. Their entire career has been Metroid. They did a bang-up job on all of them. It's time to move on towards greener pastures.

I don't want them to stick exclusively to Metroid either, I would much rather see them develop some brand new IPs that are more like games you'd find on other consoles (Killzone, Halo, Mass Effect, Warhammer 40k & Fantasy, Skyrim, Burnout, LittleBIGPlanet & Spark etc), only with the Nintendo Difference, and the kind of quality that you only see in Nintendo's own titles. Why? Because if third parties are going to desert Nintendo en masse (business decisions I guess I can understand the logic of), I want to see what Nintendo's second party studios (which it really should acquire a few more of) can produce to pick up that slack.

Thing is though, they aced all three Prime games, they know it really well and I don't see them being allowed to let loose on their own IP for a while yet, and I would really like an HD Prime game because that would be the most kickass game on the whole system to me. Who better to do it than the guys who did the others? I don't think I'd even trust Nintendo's internal studios to take it on.

By complaining about them "wasting time on things no one asked for" when all you want from them is a new Metroid it makes you frankly sound like kind of a hypocrite.

As far as I know, a lot more people would like Retro to make a new HD Prime game than a new installment of any other Nintendo franchise. I haven't done any surveys, but I hear cries for Metroid far more often than I do StarFox or DK.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fuck all those people, Donkey Kong Country Returns was their best game to date. There, I said it.

• Thumbs Up 8

There's a fourth yet unannounced playable character.

I really hope it's a new Kong.

Although it'll probably be Kiddy or Chunky Kong, it's just we haven't had a new Kong since DK64!

• Thumbs Up 1

Fuck all those people, Donkey Kong Country Returns was their best game to date. There, I said it.

And on this day I knew I found a kindred spirit that I would stand in solidarity with to the very end.

I really hope it's a new Kong.

Although it'll probably be Kiddy or Chunky Kong, it's just we haven't had a new Kong since DK64!

If it is another returning Kong character I hope it's Lanky Kong.

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hope the fourth character is Chunky or Lanky. Because Chunky may move slow, he can't jump high, but this Kong's one hell of a guy. And Lanky, well that crazy Kong just digs this tune.

Stickerbush Symphony Returns.

Cross your fingers.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hoping the fourth playable is cranky kong. It would be hilarious to see him fighting Vikings with his cane.

New Gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XdZNv01AW-M 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FFxS-vGACO0 

Edited by Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Thumbs Up 2

I agree. Most if not all the DKC games will always be amazing. I guess people just hate 2d gaming or something these days... oh well.

I agree. Most if not all the DKC games will always be amazing. I guess people just hate 2d gaming or something these days... oh well.

Or maybe people like Metroid more.

Maybe people figured Donkey Kong, who just had an insanely strong game, would be fine while Retro dug Metroid out of the flaming, piss-ridden ditch Sakamoto and Team Ninja put it in.

Thank you, Patticus.  I'm glad I'm not the only sane one here.

I love the original theme for Cannon Canyon, now I have faith that David Wise has brought his A game.

Edited by Soniman