Awoo.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Or maybe people like Metroid more.

Maybe people figured Donkey Kong, who just had an insanely strong game, would be fine while Retro dug Metroid out of the flaming, piss-ridden ditch Sakamoto and Team Ninja put it in.

Thank you, Patticus.  I'm glad I'm not the only sane one here.

Why? Retro aren't bound to that franchise.

• Thumbs Up 2

Or maybe people like Metroid more.

Maybe people figured Donkey Kong, who just had an insanely strong game, would be fine while Retro dug Metroid out of the flaming, piss-ridden ditch Sakamoto and Team Ninja put it in.

Thank you, Patticus.  I'm glad I'm not the only sane one here.

And why should Retro have to run to Metroid's rescue every time Nintendo fucks up? If Retro want's to play a bit more with the Donkey Kong concept, I say they've earned it. They've done Metroid 3 times in a row. If Nintendo can't pick up the slack, that's a problem NINTENDO needs to fix. It's their franchise.

Edited by Wraith
  • Thumbs Up 8

While I agree, Retro should be able to do whatever they want.

And when I say whatever they want I mean whatever Nintendo IP they want (haha). They tried creating original IP for the GC and they all looked so generic that Miyamoto personally cancelled all of them. If Retro would rather work on DK then Metroid for now, why not? Also gives Nintendo a chance to prove they can actually still make Metroid themselves.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just read Patticus's post.

I did. So what?

I buy the argument that Retro would indeed be best handled to creating another Prime, I totally agree. But that doesn't have much to do with Retro's apparent responsibility to help the Metroid franchise. Retro is not the be all and end all for Metroid, and they've already made three games for that franchise.

• Thumbs Up 3

Retro doesn't want to be the Metroid team, and they shouldn't have to be. They should get to spread the love wherever they want. Not to say it would be bad if they became the Metroid Team, or Donkey Kong Team (or both) but, the don't need to be and shouldn't be shackled to one franchise just because Nintendo "fucked up".

"Retro made good Metroid games, but Team Ninja didn't, so if Retro doesn't come to make a new one they're big dumb stupid jerks who don't know what the fans want."

Really, they have no obligations to Metroid. It's Nintendo's franchise. I'm happy to see a new Donkey Kong game. Retro knocked the last game out of the park-- DKCR shits on the originals from great heights. If they want to make more Donkey Kong, I can't object. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Not to mention they got the truly exceptional part of the original Trilogy into this one, the soundtrack. Hell yes, David Wise.

"Retro made good Metroid games, but Team Ninja didn't, so if Retro doesn't come to make a new one they're big dumb stupid jerks who don't know what the fans want."

Really, they have no obligations to Metroid. It's Nintendo's franchise. I'm happy to see a new Donkey Kong game. Retro knocked the last game out of the park-- DKCR shits on the originals from great heights. If they want to make more Donkey Kong, I can't object. 

Explain please? I think DKC2 is better then Returns, but I think it's on the level of DKC1, my second favourite DKC. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

actualy, the other M's gameplay was relatively solid, though not perfect and a little short. What they did to annoy everyone was to mess with the personification, and way overdo the story

Explain please? I think DKC2 is better then Returns, but I think it's on the level of DKC1, my second favourite DKC. 

Have you played DKC 2 lately? DKC 2 is broken as fuck, see BattleToads for more information on Rare's 2D Platforming days. DKCR was a far better put together game in terms of everything save for soundtrack, but especially so in level design and difficulty balance.

Edited by Super Mario
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have you played DKC 2 lately? DKC 2 is broken as fuck, see BattleToads for more information on Rare's 2D Platforming days. DKCR was a far better put together game in terms of everything save for soundtrack, but especially so in level design and difficulty balance.

At least it has more animal buddies and the Kongs are not glorified animal buddies. And where do you get the level design and difficulty balance complaints from? I thought it was fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

actualy, the other M's gameplay was relatively solid, though not perfect and a little short. What they did to annoy everyone was to mess with the personification, and way overdo the story

Honestly I don't mind other teams working on Metroid,  To me? Other M was like an updated 2D game with just an over the top storyline. I didn't mind it honestly. I enjoyed Other M.

Retro had a trilogy under there belt, I would love for them to do 3 games of Donkey Kong which im sure they will do, and maybe move onto another? Starfox? F-Zero? Who knows...

At least it has more animal buddies and the Kongs are not glorified animal buddies. And where do you get the level design and difficulty balance complaints from? I thought it was fine.

2 Words. Bee Hive.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 Words. Bee Hive.

Yeah the Bee Hive was bullshit......but what about the rest of the game? It's not good to write off an entire game because of one world. 

The old DKC games have bad, often gimmicky level design, loaded with beginners traps and leaps of faith. The camera's also too zoomed-in and shifts back and forth uncomfortably based on what direction you're facing, which sucks when you're just trying to adjust yourself. 

And from a visual standpoint, they haven't aged well. The graphics are all muddy, and it's an artistic mess; enemies are placed in any level without consideration for tone or theme. You fight the same vultures in the jungle and in the snow as you do inside caves. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's enough to put it below DKCR because, DKCR had none of that bullshit. Everything was totally fair, and every single time you died you knew it was your fault for being a baddie.

I'd just like to share an observation.

The DK Barrels seem to be different depending on the circumstances.  In Single Player, they change to reflect which Kong is in them.  Diddy Barrels have "DD" in blue on them, whereas Dixie Barrels have "DX" in pink.  In Co-Op, they seem to just be the regular DK Barrels regardless of who's actually in them, which implies that character selection is handled entirely outside of levels.  Of course, that in turn raises the question of how levels that are designed for a specific character work.  Perhaps the already-in-level barrels will be guaranteed to hold the needed Kong if he/she is not already in play?

Also, since Diddy and Dixie are being associated with blue and pink, respectively, that implies that the fourth character will not be associated with either color.  Not terribly helpful, but, you know, whatever.

Edited by G-Force

I'm just hoping that, whatever the case may be, you can choose which Kong to play as. Even if you can't switch in-level it'd be nice to switch at least outside of levels. Either way it still looks awesome, but this would be a huge turning point and would greatly benefit the playability of the game.

New Gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FFxS-vGACO0 

The discussion went to shit after this got posted and no one save Soniman's one post is discussing how fucking awesome this new Dave Wise soundtrack seems to be coming along! This is a Donkey Kong Country successor as you truly imagined it! Damn it I wanna hear moooooore! I was just getting hooked when they went and finished the level.

Edited by Chili Dawg
  • Thumbs Up 5

The old DKC games have bad, often gimmicky level design, loaded with beginners traps and leaps of faith. The camera's also too zoomed-in and shifts back and forth uncomfortably based on what direction you're facing, which sucks when you're just trying to adjust yourself. 

And from a visual standpoint, they haven't aged well. The graphics are all muddy, and it's an artistic mess; enemies are placed in any level without consideration for tone or theme. You fight the same vultures in the jungle and in the snow as you do inside caves. 

I dunno, I played DKC2 recently without any nostalgia and I still thought it was pretty damn good :u

Sure there was some trial and error bullshit sometimes, but it was never enough to ruin the experience for me, the graphics are still nice looking for pre-rendered stuffs and I could never really call an area "ugly". As for enemies? Well DKC2 fixes it somewhat so I also don't really see that as a big deal either. DKCR may have done a ton of stuff right, but it was still missing some of what gave the original games charm, namely in the rather safe looking graphics (though it has it's moments it really needed more atmosphere) and remix heavy soundtrack.

Tl;dr DKC 1 and 2 still hold up well and are to this day enjoyable game to play through, never played 3 so I have no comment on that.

Edited by Soniman

Speaking of that music. I'm not too sure about the new bonus room music, but the stage BGM was phenomenal, as was the new bonus and level clear jingles.

The story of David Wise's involvement made me smile;

“I worked with David, many, many years ago, and have stayed in contact ever since. He’s actually a friend of mine. So, as we approached this particular project, he became available. So I picked up the phone and said ‘Hey David! You have some time? Would you like to help us out with Tropical Freeze?’ And he jumped at the chance. It was a coincidence that he was available at the time… he wasn’t prior [for Donkey Kong Country Returns] and we couldn’t be happier. (Tropical Freeze's soundtrack will be original) Yet, there will be some familiarities… you can hear that it is David Wise.”

An original soundtrack with a familiar feel! I don't think Donkey Kong Country fans could ask for anything more. This alone has gotten me much more hyped for the game, I'm already feeling like it'll be a DKCR beater :D

• Thumbs Up 6

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Same here, im really excited for this game. DKC was such a great game for me back in the day, and really was a hard game for all of us back in the day as small kids. It really was the first game / series to get me more into the hard core 2d platformers, which later did get me into Sonic as well.

Is it just me, or does this game compared to its predecessor have a Rare-ish vibe to everything involved? The designs of the Viking animals look like something from the Rare heydays compared to the abstract Tiki Tong tribe of the former game. They even brought back Wise who composed the majority of two of the three soundtracks from the SNES titles.

I think Retro is trying to simultaneously bring back the style of old while playing on the older audience's senses of nostalgia.