Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Super detailed Captain Falcon in HD~ <3 now I GOTTA SEE NESS

Oh yeah, Fire Anime characters. S'pretty cool I guess.  That Rayman was TOO MUCH of a tease though. Seriously, what the hell?? 

As for this debunking the Gematsu leak or not, I wouldn't say it does. This might be a result of the roster leaking and then the production team looking out for the reception of some of these characters.

All I know is if she is her own character slot she better be not a shitty clone. If she was Falco to Marth's Fox I'd be fine with that but I don't want an outright clone. 

I wasn't sure what to expect for Fire Emblem to be honest! I knew it would be another rep and an Awakening one at that but deep down I wasn't sure if it was going to be Chrom (and personally I didn't want him) or even Lucina. Hell I wasn't even sure about Robin!

To see Lucina in the game has made me very happy indeed since she's my favourite despite probably ending up being a Marth clone, but Robin looks to be a unique character for the roster and especially unique for Fire Emblem which has mainly been about characters who wield swords. I'm actually relieved Chrom isn't a playable character because like you said, he is yet another blue haired Lord who wields a sword and he's not very interesting.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the Fire Emblem reps and glad to see we get four great characters to choose from. This is a popular series everyone! It deserves four reps easy after Awakening's popularity.

This is EXACTLY it. I expected an FE rep, and was afraid it was Chrom. However, I was confident Chrom wasn't a shoe-in like everyone stated, and I thought the Avatar would be a great pick. Months later I researched Robin more and fell in love with the concept, so I went from wanting "not Chrom" to "Robin all the way!"

And now I'm ecstatic that we got Robin! Lucina seems quite good, too. She does appear to be a clone, but that FITS what she is. Chrom being part of Robin's Final Smash is something I never considered either. People kept suggesting "maybe Robin and Chrom can do Pair Up and fight together," but no one ever thought that "Pair Up" would be their Final Smash.

Also, Captain Falcon revealed in the trailer was epic as well. All in all, I'm extremely happy with this, it debunks Gematsu, it proves we're getting more characters, and it gives me hope for four DK reps as well. biggrin.png

As for the whole Lucina debacle, I think she's a separate character but is a direct clone of Marth. Basically, she's an alternate skin of Marth in all but name. The trailer was really about Robin, and announcing Lucina was a way to lead into showing off Robin. Robin better represents FE as a whole, too. Lucina was probably included for female FE representation and because she could be made from Marth incredibly easily.

All I know is if she is her own character slot she better be not a shitty clone. If she was Falco to Marth's Fox I'd be fine with that but I don't want an outright clone. 

Ok, here's the problem with that logic. Maybe Lucina is basically just a character skin, but she's got her own slot on the roster. Her development time didn't severely take away from other characters, she's literally just a slightly different Marth in design with her own voice.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ok, here's the problem with that logic. Maybe Lucina is basically just a character skin, but she's got her own slot on the roster. Her development time didn't severely take away from other characters, she's literally just a slightly different Marth in design with her own voice.

Clones are redundant gameplay wise. There's no game design related need for 2 of the same character. 

I'm pretty sure the reason why Lucina has her own slot and is listed in some way as a newcomer is because she's not "female Marth." There is no way to identify male Wii Fit Trainer as anything other than male Wii Fit Trainer because that is all he is. There is no way to identify female Robin as anything other than female Robin because that is what she is.

Lucina isn't female Marth. Lucina is Lucina. Regardless of whether she shares a move set with Marth or not you can not call her "female Marth" and pass her off as just that. That is why she has her own slot on the character page of the website. She's a "newcomer" but she isn't.

The real newcomer and the focus of this trailer was Robin. That much is obvious to me. Lucina is a nice compromise for Fire Emblem fans who want more female representation and those who are fans of her. It doesn't use that many extra resources so it was a "Why not?" situation I think.

• Thumbs Up 8

Clones are redundant gameplay wise. There's no game design related need for 2 of the same character. 

Have to disagree with you there since while clones do play the same as their counterpart they can still have a distinct playstyle of their own, like how falco, while similar to fox in terms of moveset has different priorities and effects that you don't get with fox that can change up your playstyle a bit (for instance, his down air spikes instead of being a rapid hit like fox's).

Lucina's a newcomer. Just look at the mobile site:

NqsHV5H.png

Capped from my phone. I think a more likely explanation is that since Lucina and Robin share artwork, there's no real reason to take up space when there's no artwork on the side.

• Thumbs Up 1

Have to disagree with you there since while clones do play the same as their counterpart they can still have a distinct playstyle of their own, like how falco, while similar to fox in terms of moveset has different priorities and effects that you don't get with fox that can change up your playstyle a bit (for instance, his down air spikes instead of being a rapid hit like fox's).

I don't consider Falco a clone, in fact in an earlier post I said I would have no complaints is Lucina was the Falco to Marth's Fox. I was talking about blatant outright shit clones like Dr Mario/Mario and Marth/Roy in Melee. 

Yeah Lucina is a Newcomer and I'm pretty sure she will have her own character slot, regardless of whether or not she has her own moveset.

But Chooch is right. Making Lucina is not like making a new unique chara from scratch, she's not "taking anyone's slot". She's a "why not" character because they already have so many of her necessary resources from Marth. All she needs was audio and a model, a model that can be largely mapped to the same animations as Marth.

Because of this, I'm predicting Dark Pit will be playable afterall.

• Thumbs Up 1

If he does make it in, I actually hope he has a unique moveset. There are still some Uprising weapons that don't have proper representation (Blades, Cannons, Claws, Palms, and Staffs), and they could do some really cool stuff with 'em. He doesn't have to be a clone of Pit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah Lucina is a Newcomer and I'm pretty sure she will have her own character slot, regardless of whether or not she has her own moveset.

But Chooch is right. Making Lucina is not like making a new unique chara from scratch, she's not "taking anyone's slot". She's a "why not" character because they already have so many of her necessary resources from Marth. All she needs was audio and a model, a model that can be largely mapped to the same animations as Marth.

I think Dark Pit will still be a color swap of Pit. Unless I'm forgetting somehting, the colors are all that's different between the two, so there'd really be no point in making him a clone of him. It'd just add more colors to Pit.

I loved Fire Emblem Awakening so I'm pretty hype for these reveals. I wasn't so keen on Robin but he looks cool now that I'm seeing him in action, and Lucina is a character I wanted in since day 1. Plus badass new Captain Falcon model. All in all a good reveal for me. 

...I like Chrom too though, and he got shafted to hell and back, but I can get over it.

That was an excellent trailer. Glad to see reps from Fire Emblem Awakening.

Don't really give a damn about Captain Falcon. He didn't need to show up in this trailer.

Every move Lucina did in that trailer was frame by frame identical to Marth's. Not similar, identical. Even her idle was identical (at the very least every single clone in Smash has had a different idle animation to their original. Roy for instance has a different idle to Marth. Only exception I think is Doc but he is the same character as Mario).

If she's her own character she contributes nothing in terms of gameplay. If she's an alternate costume why would they draw focus to the extent that they did. Either way I personally feel Lucina could have been represented a lot better.

Robin on the other hand looks wicked. Interesting concept of disposable Tomes since it's been a mechanic in the FE series for the longest time. He/she looks stylish and unique and I'm keen to see more of him/her.

And Falcon...well Falcon needs no words.

Disappointed Shulk wasn't revealed today though I'm confident he'll get his time. He's still my most anticipated character.

That was a trailer which genuinely delighted me in a while..I dunno Just seeing Robin using all those moves just gives me a warm feeling..I would be fine with or without Lucina but eh, she's there and Sakurai and I acknowledge the following she has, I suppose.

The thing that confused was I thought Chrom was 5th FE rep but till I saw here that he's just a Smash...but whose exactly? Lucina's?

I seriously kept thinking that FE had 5 reps for a while there, which started to step into excessive Fanwishing territory..But more nods is a good way, I guess.

And Fire Emblem is the new StarFox of Brawl in terms of characters, it seems.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly Robin looks completely awesome. I still wanted Chrom, but I'll live with it. 

The major disappointment here was that Lucina ended up being very cloneish, to an unknown extent. I missed the Final Smash thing at first, too, so I ended up thinking that fans of everybody ended up winning when we really only got a character and a half. 

Um, pretty easily.  When both are on screen, just focus on which one has the girly hair, ladylike hips and feminine face.

Then you know that one is Marth and the other is Lucina.

Not to mention they wear completely different shoes. So yeah, it won't be that hard to tell em apart. =P

• Thumbs Up 1

Welp, we got Lucina, but we also got Whitebread. The character I want to play as is a clone, and the unique character is a cardboard cutout at best.

Curse you, Sakurai.

PS: I will give you all the cash in the world for Falcon tho I don't care how many attractive actors I have to gold-dig

I just wish we seen more captain falcon man. He was barely in the trailer!

Well, other than the intro movie.