Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

You know, what would have been awesome for a FE rep is if they had Titania.

300px-Titania.jpeg

Really, how many axe fighters do we have in Smash? And a female one at that? Now that's something you can make a unique moveset over.

Or catgirl Lethe...or Lucia if we want another sword user. Then again, I'm too much of a sucker for the Tellius series compared to the Awakening. Doesn't matter all that much tho. laugh.png

But really, I kinda do want Titania. I don't even care about popularity.

dLyEldz.png

OFFICER DOWN, OFFICER DOWN, SHOTS FIRED

And at this point this game has like HOW many female characters now? Peach, Samus, ZSS, Zelda, Shiek, Rosalina, WFT, Palutena, now Lucina and Female Robin?

This just goes to show how lazy some teams can be when it comes to female characters, nevermind a large variety of them.

Nope. There is one. Three, even. Lucina explained!

72qgjb.jpg

Pic of the day. Along with Robin, Lucina joins the battle!! Her physical ablilites are identical to Marth's--it must be in her D.N.A. However, where Marth's power is concentrated in the tip of the sword, Lucina's attack strength is balanced throughout the weapon, which might make her easier to control. She's also a little bit shorter than Marth.

juab9s.jpg

With the Wii Fit Trainers, the male and female Robins, the Villagers, and Little Mac, varying their appearances and voices works just like selecting alternate color variations. However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually.

2rm5dt1.jpg

By the way…there's probably no chance you'll be able to see this in the game, but Lucina has the mark of Naga in her left eye.

• Thumbs Up 8

uuuuugh...

goddammit. Nothing against Lucina. I just really dislike the idea that She could be now taking up a spot on the roster. A spot a more unique fighter could be taking.

That and for petes sake why does Fire Emblem have 4 Reps now. Am I really missing an amazing game? I just never liked Strategy games, but apparently if its this popular to make this happen...

Would have made more sense to have the M and F WFT's next to the M and F Robin's but whatever. Also, Lucina now confirmed to be a clone with slight differences I guess. And no one was surprised that day.

Ugh. Well it's confirmed that she is a clone, and more like a melee clone than a brawl one at the moment.

uuuuugh...

goddammit. Nothing against Lucina. I just really dislike the idea that She could be now taking up a spot on the roster. A spot a more unique fighter could be taking.

That and for petes sake why does Fire Emblem have 4 Reps now. Am I really missing an amazing game? I just never liked Strategy games, but apparently if its this popular to make this happen...

There's not much to worry about Lucina "taking up a slot". It most likely took them no time at all to put her into the game. I'm willing to bet it took longer to assemble her voice clips than it did to actually make her work.

Fire Emblem is getting pretty popular nowadays thanks to Awakening, so the newcomers' inclusions are warranted. To be honest, I'm surprised we didn't get more sooner. The series was always big in Japan, IIRC.

• Thumbs Up 7

So...wait...

Marth is more sluggish now with more KO power with his tippered attacks naturally.

Lucina is a seemingly faster Marth with less KO power but evened out power on the sword overall, and she had little to no landing lag in the trailer which could be unique asset of hers or just a general buff to landing aerials in general.

But if this is right all of the good qualities of Marth were split between him and Lucina.

...I'm...not sure how to feel about this...maybe I'm just thinking about it too hard

I'm cool with this. Clones are pretty much bonus characters on the roster anyway.

The best part is that it actually makes sense for her to be a clone of Marth. Could Dark Pit be on the horizon? 

Given Fire Emblem having a lot of diverse moves and classes in itself, I don't see why they couldn't give Lucina more differences to her movepool. Takes less effort than imagining one completely from scratch when the work is done for you beyond implementing it in a fighting game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm cool with this. Clones are pretty much bonus characters on the roster anyway.

The best part is that it actually makes sense for her to be a clone of Marth. Could Dark Pit be on the horizon?

Dear god I hope not. I was hoping this game wouldn't have many clones, Dark Pit could be more than a clone anyway. Someone said it earlier, Uprising has much that could be represented still.

Anyway, I hope clone characters in this aren't anymore common than they were in brawl. Which was barely iirc.

Agreed. I'd rather have them in the game than not at all. Plus, clone characters are almost always just as good, if not better than their original counter-parts and Marth was already top-tier (Before they nerfed him, anyways), so there's no doubt that Lucina will be too.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, if they're going to be clones, then I'd rather them not be in the game. I find it a lot more fun when characters have more differences to them; nothing wrong with sharing some moves from others, and it's even better if they were mixed from multiple characters, but I believe every character should stand strong on their own merits and fall on their own weaknesses than that of someone else's.

I mean, really, I actually like having Lucina in the game (would prefer Titania even more tho), I just hate that her moveset doesn't seem diverse enough from what we know. I'd love to be proven wrong about that, but I still stand by my point regarding clone characters. It just comes off as creatively lazy to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

So not only is she an identical clone to Marth but they removed the one element of Marth's gameplay that really defined him and made him more interesting to play.

So essentially she is literally a more bring version of Marth. Man how lame, she could have been so much more interesting.

The irony is, taking those 12 seconds of game play at face value, Lucina looks better than Marth.

At least when comparing that footage to what people who have played the game know from having played Marth, Lucina looks to be generally faster, and having a much better air game. Most people who played the game agreed universally that Marth's been crippled, that his speed was reduced and that his air game isn't as potent. I think the reason people realized so fast that Lucina was a clone in this context is just because she looks a lot more similar to the Marth we are all familiar with.

I never thought Lucina would have been the best addition to the roster since her existence in Fire Emblem is literally as a bait-and-switch clone, and this was the only way you could probably approach a character like her in Smash (hence why I expected someone like Anna if Sakurai preferred original reps this time around). So she's basically going to be a "Melee" clone.

Can't call this a waste of a roster slot though.

• Thumbs Up 5

The entire roster will be revealed next month!

nfFBmjD.png

The countdown begins!

Edit: Gonna put an asterisk here. It might not be totally confirmed yet, but keep an eye out I guess.

Clone or otherwise, I tend to shake my head at the whole "waste of a roster slot" statement when that often comes across as entitled to the point of saying "because I said so" over who should be in. That's one thing I'm glad Sakurai hardly gives a damn about given how entitled fans can be.

See this is why I don't understand why they'd give both versions separate release dates, if they have the same roster and features for the most part. This is why I think Smash U will have a few more extras that the 3DS doesn't have.

*shrug*

See this is why I don't understand why they'd give both versions separate release dates, if they have the same roster and features for the most part. This is why I think Smash U will have a few more extras that the 3DS doesn't have.

*shrug*

Of course it will. After all, 3DS has Smash Run, and Sakurai already made it clear that the key difference is that 3DS has different stages.

All of that will most likely be extended with the supplemental content. The only thing that's the same is the character roster, so we'll probably hear a lot more after the release of Smash 3DS.

The irony is, taking those 12 seconds of game play at face value, Lucina looks better than Marth.

At least when comparing that footage to what people who have played the game know from having played Marth, Lucina looks to be generally faster, and having a much better air game. Most people who played the game agreed universally that Marth's been crippled, that his speed was reduced and that his air game isn't as potent. I think the reason people realized so fast that Lucina was a clone in this context is just because she looks a lot more similar to the Marth we are all familiar with.

I never thought Lucina would have been the best addition to the roster since her existence in Fire Emblem is literally as a bait-and-switch clone, and this was the only way you could probably approach a character like her in Smash (hence why I expected someone like Anna if Sakurai preferred original reps this time around). So she's basically going to be a "Melee" clone.

And this is making my fears grow...welp.

nfFBmjD.png

The countdown begins!

I highly doubt this, I feel like it might be some mistranslation or we're misinterpreting it somehow, are they even allowed to do something like this?

*snip*

The countdown begins!

If this is real... DAMN. IT. ALL. I don't want to have the roster spoiled for myself, but I just know everyone's going to be talking about it non-stop until release. Guess I'm gonna have to disappear from the internet sooner than I thought and sooner than I'd like, too.

EDIT: Wait a minute, where did you find this?

*shrug*

They gave them separate release dates because the 3DS version will be done first. I'm sure that if the Wii U version was also nearly ready to be shipped they would have similar release dates.

"Crippled" is a hasty exaggeration imo. Marth's fundamental design allows him to at least be decent due to his naturally strong spacing game. I'm not quite sure where people are getting the idea of Lucina being faster from. Her animations are frame by frame identical to Marth's and Sakurai did state that their physical abilities are identical.

• Thumbs Up 1

So Lucina sounds like the cloniest clone of the entire entire series so far. As a fan of her, this is pretty disappointing.She's also the only newcomer like this in a sea of characters who have been looking incredibly unique. 

Not gonna lie, yesterday's reveal was awesome but gave me a lot of mixed feelings. I hope we do find the rest of the roster next month just so the speculation can end. 

• Thumbs Up 3

nfFBmjD.png

The countdown begins!

Considering that Japan usually holds big news for high-expected games like this one for TGS, i highly doubt that.

Smash 4 is out before TGS occurs. TGS happens September 18th-21st. Smash 4 releases on September 13th.

• Thumbs Up 1