Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Fuck the Great Maze.

We were all thinking it.

Seriously, who at Nintendo thought the Great Maze was a good idea?

• Thumbs Up 1

We were all thinking it.

Seriously, who at Nintendo thought the Great Maze was a good idea?

The same people who thought dedicating wasted months worth of development time into a story mode rather than having an actually balanced game. : P

• Thumbs Up 2

If we do get an Adventure Mode it definitely won't be on the same scale as Brawl's, amazing as that'd be.

This is probably true. I could see it being much closer to Melee's style of Adventure Mode, while something on the scale of SSE would (hopefully) be saved for a Smash 5, if there ever were one.

I enjoyed SSE overall (even though I haven't played through it again since Brawl came out so my opinions might have changed), but like Felix said, I would have preferred actual Nintendo-themed locations. Hopefully a future Adventure Mode in this game or the next will have that. A Xenoblade level/world would be insane.

• Thumbs Up 3

The SSE was basically wasted by having a rather generic world rather than just a huge amalgamation of Nintendo locations and whatnot. The actual gameplay wasn't really any worse than Melee's adventure mode, though, and the original cast of enemies were gloriously trippy as hell. Tabuu was also a pretty crazy final boss. Though Rayqauza got jobbed.

Hopefully the next Smash gets in a better adventure mode. Smash Run and Smash Board aren't exactly great substitutes, the former is a nice diversion, but the latter is just awful.

Edited by Candescence
  • Thumbs Up 6

If we ever did get a new Adventure Mode in this game or in Smash 5, it'd be awesome to see what the cutscenes would be like. With how amazing the CGI is in many of the Smash 4 character trailers, it'd definitely look pretty at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

And hopefully we'll have actual fucking dialogue next time around, Uprising is a demonstration of the horrendous missed opportunity caused by making everyone mute.

• Thumbs Up 5

The same people who thought dedicating wasted months worth of development time into a story mode rather than having an actually balanced game. : P

Now hold on here for a second, are you saying you didn't like Subspace Emissary?

And hopefully we'll have actual fucking dialogue next time around, Uprising is a demonstration of the horrendous missed opportunity caused by making everyone mute.

omg imagine how beautiful Ness' Engrish would be. Now I want this so badly.

Now hold on here for a second, are you saying you didn't like Subspace Emissary?

Like I said, I'm mixed. I dislike the gameplay and how drab and lifeless the environments are. The cutscenes were really well done (particularly the one where Kirby ripped apart the battleship with the Dragoon, and Sonic stopping Tabuu) and it was cool seeing the characters interact with one another despite them being mute. The tone overall just kinda felt way out of place for me, especially when this is a bunch of Nintendo characters we're talking about.

Eh, I still think an expanded take on Melee's Adventure Mode would be the ideal thing to have for a Single Player mode. Just make every level have a platforming section instead of just a fighting section and things should be just peachy.

• Thumbs Up 5

omg imagine how beautiful Ness' Engrish would be. Now I want this so badly.

Hell, they don't even need to have everyone speak the same language, for certain characters who Nintendo is really not keen on having proper voiced dialogue. Zelda, Shiek and Ganondorf could speak Hylian so they don't even need to speak in any comprehensible language (which is pretty much what Midna did in TP). Mario and Luigi could use their fake Italian nonsense from Superstar Saga, and so on and so forth.

Might be interesting to have Peach be fully voiced again for the first time since Sunshine, and Samus' Other M VA actually having proper voice direction to work with.

• Thumbs Up 4

The Great Maze is one of my favorite parts, but that's probably attributed to two things:

- I was playing Project M, where you keep momentum when you jump (making the platforming much more fun)

- I replaced pretty much every song with ones I actually liked

It wasn't nearly as fun in Vanilla Brawl.

Anyways a Melee-esque Adventure Mode would be fine.

On the subject of dialogue that'd be great. Banter between Mario and Sonic would be especially amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

sakurai

On another topic, I'll be streaming the Smash Direct tomorrow. I'll be posting reminders when the time nears, but it'll be streamed live here at my Taima channel, at 5 PM EST which is when it begins.  As you know by now you don't need an account at all to come in the chat, we'll probably watch videos and stuff before the direct starts. Also added all the character head icons from Smash 64 to Smash 4 to use as emotes, along with some other ones I found.

I don't think the Subspace Emissary was that bad per se. At least it was worth playing it if you're curious to see how the cutscenes would play out, or to easily unlock all the characters in the game without having to play a shitload of vs. matches. (Mewtwo in Melee, I'm looking at you, you jerk!) But as a standalone single player experience, it leaves alot to be desired. Like what others said, not using many of the actual different franchises'  basic enemies was a missed opportunity, as well as just generic locales rather than a few iconic locales from the Nintendo series as well. (I bet everybody was thinking 'Angel Island' when they saw the ROB's home base)

Also screw the Great Maze up the @r$e as well, it's a giant pacekiller compared to the already somewhat sluggish pace of the SSE, and it makes you search for every door just to refight every boss you fought up until that point and every playable character you could obtain at that point in the game too, just to get Sonic and to fight the real final boss.

Edit: Nice Felix, will definetely watch that alongside you.

Edited by RustyRick
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'll just be posting reactions on Twitter. Taima stops loading text after a while and I have to scroll down manually.

I just hope nothing gets leaked beforehand.

With the Great Maze, I think it would've been far better if it served as the sole "level" and the entire Subspace Emissary map, instead of essentially being the sudden Metroidvania level in what is otherwise a typical platformer game.

• Thumbs Up 4

As far "story modes" go,  the one thing I'd like retained from SSE is the adventure,  variable cutscenes,  overall story and character interactions.  The gameplay,  and level choices/designs could use some refining.

I think Shulk has the best air game in Smash 4.

Either that or I'm just more used to his aerials compared to other characters I play as.

The guy I was fighting on For Glory was one of the rare ones that actually complimented me after a previous match, and he was really great.

Oh right, Yoshi's amazing. That Nair <3

Still I love the range on Shulk's back air specifically.

I'm... Still not completely confident in using Buster, so I'll generally start it if I'm about to die and Shield has run out. I'm also trying to rely less on Speed as well.

Honestly I'd be fine with an Adventure mode that recycles content.  Reuse assets from the existing stages, re-use the enemies from Smash Run, whatever you wanna do.

I'd be okay with a few non-platformer stages like Melee had (Fire Emblem for example would be fine to rep with just a fight rather than platforming) and they could randomise it a bit since there's so many franchises to cover this time.  Have a few stages be swappable in which franchise is represented each run, like Brawl's Classic mode.

All I'd want is a more equal ratio of platforming to fighting.  Melee only had like 4 stages with platforming out of the 12 or so you go through.

• Thumbs Up 2

For as many problems as SSE,  I can't possibly be the only here pining for at the very least,  it's caliber of cutscenes featuring Smash 4's powerhouse cast interacting with one another.

Real, cold hard factual leaks from the recent maintenance.

Cloud's alts were also leaked here: http://imgur.com/a/QMURr

If you think this is all the presentation will be, however, pass me some of that high-grade, because that would be duuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb.

Real, cold hard factual leaks from the recent maintenance.

Cloud's alts were also leaked here: http://imgur.com/a/QMURr

If you think this is all the presentation will be, however, pass me some of that high-grade, because that would be duuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb.

Yeah, from what I've heard, there's a shit ton of incomplete and/or encrypted data. Also, there's only two songs for Midgar, and there's no way we're ONLY getting two songs. Plus, both songs are already in the Direct. The only new thing is one costume we didn't know about before.

Basically, it seems like Sakurai uploaded a partial of the patch early so that it'll be quicker pushing the remainder of the data to the servers for people to download. And they only pushed the stuff we knew, except for one thing that slipped through (or maybe was put their on purpose as a teaser).

Why does Cloud look so much more muscular here than in FF7R...as well as less soulless?

also those alts are very underwhelming. Ah well, should have seen it comings