Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Mario is so popular that Wario, DK, and Yoshi split off into their own series', but what if Pokémon did that?

What does Pokemon have to split off to?

Wario, DK, and I would say to a lesser extent Yoshi, all have legitimate offshoot series with their own characters and elements to represent. If we got K Rool or Ashley or something, they'd be representing DKC or Warioware or whatever, not Mario. But everything Pokemon is still under the same umbrella; it's all just Pokemon.

Wario, DK, and I would say to a lesser extent Yoshi, all have legitimate offshoot series with their own characters and elements to represent. If we got K Rool or Ashley or something, they'd be representing DKC or Warioware or whatever, not Mario. But everything Pokemon is still under the same umbrella; it's all just Pokemon.

More or less yes.

The only Pokemon spinoff that REALLY branches out to my knowledge is Pokemon Conquest, but that's so young that even if it became a franchise that was really independent, it doesn't merit its own series just yet. Never mind, it's still using the same critters at the end of the day... whereas the mentioned characters have become so independent you could possibly pass them off as having nothing to do with Mario.

I'm expecting Zelda to break the 4-limit and Mario will almost definitely have above 8 now (Dixie Kong sounds like an obvious addition considering she was almost in Brawl) so I'm not sure why Pokémon of all series' can't reach new heights.

Even (big maybe) without Toon Link? Who else are you expecting to see?

I didn't pay that much attention to Brawl's development, so I hadn't heard about Dixie almost being in it. Was she as close to getting in as Mewtwo?

But that's exactly why giving Pokémon a limit that Mario isn't constrained to is plain unfair? Pokémon can't split off, so it can't have more than __ characters, but Mario can, so even though they're all Mario characters, it's perfectly fine! That's pretty unfair logic right there, especially since saying Pokémon can't branch off even though Pikachu practically has his own miniseries and therefore "doesn't deserve" as many reps as Mario is just

daft.

You're limiting characters on a rule that one series has and most series' don't, that's favouritism. Understandable favouritism, but no favouritism that could never be applied to another extremely popular series in another way. :/

Even (big maybe) without Toon Link? Who else are you expecting to see?

I didn't pay that much attention to Brawl's development, so I hadn't heard about Dixie almost being in it. Was she as close to getting in as Mewtwo?

Not as close as Mewtwo but she was one of the "forbidden 7". And I dunno, I kinda think another Young Link may appear along with another villain or side-character.

But that's exactly why giving Pokémon a limit that Mario isn't constrained to is plain unfair? Pokémon can't split off, so it can't have more than __ characters, but Mario can, so even though they're all Mario characters, it's perfectly fine! That's pretty unfair logic right there, especially since saying Pokémon can't branch off even though Pikachu practically has his own miniseries and therefore "doesn't deserve" as many reps as Mario is just

daft.

You're limiting characters on a rule that one series has and most series' don't, that's favouritism. Understandable favouritism, but no favouritism that could never be applied to another extremely popular series in another way. :/

It's not that pokemon necessarily can't (though it isn't structured in a way that I could see it happening), it's that it hasn't. Wario and DK have their own legitimate separate series that have basically nothing to do with Mario. DK may have started off in a Mario game (er, sort of? maybe the other way around), but the Donkey Kong Country games are their own thing. The DKC series isn't a part of the Mario series, it's a self-sufficient series in its own right. DK isn't in as a Mario rep, he's in as a Donkey Kong rep, as evidenced by his DK icon rather than the Mario mushroom. Diddy isn't a Mario rep, he's a DK rep, because he's from the DK series.

Pokemon hasn't done this. Pokemon's never had a character spin off into an independent series that provides its own characters, settings, and objects.

well, I ccould see Kid icarus getting a second character, I mean even though Pit was only just introduced his francise is what twenty years old, and especialy with the recent entry its quite possible. Heck in all technicality Metroid and F-zero are long overdue for new characters to the roster really as they are the only one of the originals who dont have a second rep

I'd say Yoshi is just as unMario as DK and Wario too.  A lot of people really hang onto that (US only) Mario World 2 subtitle but let's face it, Yoshi's Island is NOT a Mario game.  The gameplay is totally different and spawned several sequels that had no Mario in the title anywhere.  And Yoshi's Smash appearence is clearly based off the Yoshi games rather than his appearence in the Mario ones, so yeah.

• Thumbs Up 5

There really can't be a separate series for Pokemon because no individual Pokemon has their own series; the only spin offs that come to mind are the Ranger and Mystery Dungeon games but considering their mechanics work similar to the main games(Using Pokemon to fight) its kind of redundant.

• Thumbs Up 1

question, how did most of us miss this 260771-metroidstage.jpg
ya sure its an other M stage, but hey its still a stage

daft.

To be fair, Pokemon technically did surpass the 4 character rule with Pokemon Trainer being a 3 in one character. So technically there are 6 pokemon reps in the game. And while I'm poking at technicalities, wouldn't Mario technically count as a Donkey Kong rep seeing as he originated from the original Donkey Kong game? Meaning that there are only 5 characters in Brawl that originated from the Mario series, and then another 3 that originated from the Donkey Kong series. Which also means that Pokemon technically had the most reps in Brawl.

And while I'm poking at technicalities, wouldn't Mario technically count as a Donkey Kong rep seeing as he originated from the original Donkey Kong game?

Donkey Kong is considered to be the first entry of both the Donkey Kong and Super Mario franchises, so no.

....you're really reaching with that logic.

But why exactly does the series rep number matter anyways? So long as they're not clones whats the problem?

The real issue we should be looking at for Pokemon reps is trying to spread the rep between some of the other gens so that its not all Gen 1, and that should be fixable by changing the trainers team around anyways.

• Thumbs Up 4

I have to say, Pokemon is pretty good with the number of reps they have now. 7 on Mario's 4(even if the spinoffs count, it gives Mario 7.) even though Mario should by all rights be the front runner when it comes to playable characters. 

Given Gen 2 seems to have the most enthusiasm for it, and Gen 1 is the classic, I'm not surprised that the design choice is generally to pick from these generations. On that note I'd definitely support throwing in a Gen 2 Pokemon as playable in some manner.

If nothing else the Pokeballs are an excellent way to represent the entire franchise.

In my headcanon anyways, I've usually always seen Wario, Yoshi, DK, etc as part of the Mario franchise, since they I guess their origins started with sharing the same universe as Mario, and they occasionally come back to the Mario universe as well despite having their own plots and stuffs. I mean even further to that, they all look like Mario characters is the thing, so I guess that's why it's always been that in my head.

But that said I don't really mind too much if they're all in Smash, I guess it's more over if they feel the need to continue to expand the Mario franchise representatives to the point where half the roster feels like it should just be a Mario Kart/Party game. I don't really need Roselina/Bowser Jr/Toad/etc as added characters, since while they may be different from other characters already on the roster, I'd love for that space/time/effort to go toward other things that could broaden this game of "Nintendo's history," despite how big Mario is to that name.

Though if anything were to be added from Mario that I'd want, it's Waluigi lawl. He'd probably just be a puppet for all of the party and sports games in the Mario games, but still, he's just too amazing to pass up *shot*

---

On the Pokemon talk, while I feel there's a lot of Pokemon in the roster, it kinda feels natural too I guess? Pokemon Trainer serves as one and representing the original gameboy games, Pikachu is always a shoe-in for mascot status, Lucario/Mewtwo are one of the most popular and "cool" Pokemon. The only ones that I always felt were weird was Jigglypuff and Pichu. While I'm not sure exactly, I always felt Jigglypuff was just the joke character that also can still withstand a fight, and then Pichu was just a branching of Pikachu's status, but at the root of it I always felt those two could be easily axed. I've said my distaste for Jigglypuff in the past and everyone seemed to be on board that it'd be dumb if they got rid of her because "she's been there since the start !!!" but I don't get the love I guess lawl. I'd be perfectly content if this Smash held it back to Pokemon Trainer, Pikachu, and whatever "cool pokemon of the generation here" is.

Anyways just my thoughts lol

• Thumbs Up 3

In my headcanon anyways, I've usually always seen Wario, Yoshi, DK, etc as part of the Mario franchise, since they I guess their origins started with sharing the same universe as Mario, and they occasionally come back to the Mario universe as well despite having their own plots and stuffs. I mean even further to that, they all look like Mario characters is the thing, so I guess that's why it's always been that in my head.

But that said I don't really mind too much if they're all in Smash, I guess it's more over if they feel the need to continue to expand the Mario franchise representatives to the point where half the roster feels like it should just be a Mario Kart/Party game. I don't really need Roselina/Bowser Jr/Toad/etc as added characters, since while they may be different from other characters already on the roster, I'd love for that space/time/effort to go toward other things that could broaden this game of "Nintendo's history," despite how big Mario is to that name.

Though if anything were to be added from Mario that I'd want, it's Waluigi lawl. He'd probably just be a puppet for all of the party and sports games in the Mario games, but still, he's just too amazing to pass up *shot*

---

On the Pokemon talk, while I feel there's a lot of Pokemon in the roster, it kinda feels natural too I guess? Pokemon Trainer serves as one and representing the original gameboy games, Pikachu is always a shoe-in for mascot status, Lucario/Mewtwo are one of the most popular and "cool" Pokemon. The only ones that I always felt were weird was Jigglypuff and Pichu. While I'm not sure exactly, I always felt Jigglypuff was just the joke character that also can still withstand a fight, and then Pichu was just a branching of Pikachu's status, but at the root of it I always felt those two could be easily axed. I've said my distaste for Jigglypuff in the past and everyone seemed to be on board that it'd be dumb if they got rid of her because "she's been there since the start !!!" but I don't get the love I guess lawl. I'd be perfectly content if this Smash held it back to Pokemon Trainer, Pikachu, and whatever "cool pokemon of the generation here" is.

Anyways just my thoughts lol

It's funny because Jigglypuff isn't even very original because most of her moves are the same/similar to Kirby's and the fact that we have much better pokemon to use as playable characters(Gen 3 anyone? Anyone?)

EDIT: I agree on Waluigi. He needs to be playable.

Edited by Dom

So yeah, that rumor was fake it seems....

And life goes on.

It was from /v/. Of course it was fake.

Cynthia isn't a player character and you can't name her; why wouldn't they just call her Cynthia?

I doubt that we're going to see another trainer-type character, though. It's a cool idea and I like the one we've got, but it probably demands too many resources to be worthwhile.

As far as Pokemon reps go, I feel it may just be four once again (as far as slots on the roster, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard were all bunched under the Pokemon Trainer, which took up one slot in Brawl's roster).

I think it may just be these possible four at this point as I don't see any other Pokemon representing the game as actual fighters.

Pikachu (duh) 

Jigglypuff 

Mewtwo (Mega Mewtwo Final Smash possibly or Down+B move for the Generation 6 shoutout)

Lucario (Mega Lucario for similar reasons)

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd love another Trainer to be "playable", while I do think Red will return for the ever-relevant Gen1 rep, I think another Trainer might have a chance for representing a more recent Gen. Cynthia, N, or Calem/Serena are all possibilities, but what I want to know is how they would differ from Red. I'm sure Sakurai could think of a way for a separate Pokémon Trainer to be playable in a slightly different way, but it's a concern.

Which sucks because people love the human characters from Pokémon - it'd just be so bizarre to actually play as one directly.

So yes a problem. I'd love to play as Cynthia or something, but at the same time I highly doubt Red will be dropped. He's arguably more relevant now than he was at Brawl-time, because just recently he's appeared as a named NPC in both HGSS and BW2, not to mention the Pokémon Origins TV special airing soon.

It's funny because Jigglypuff isn't even very original because most of her moves are the same/similar to Kirby's and the fact that we have much better pokemon to use as playable characters(Gen 3 anyone? Anyone?)

What.  They're both pink balls and have multiple jumps.  That's literally the only similarity.  They're as similar as Peach is to Zelda.

• Thumbs Up 6