Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

What are those circle things? There's one above the ship and one by the gap of the cliff?

Those look like rings the plane is supposed to fly through.

I think this one is shaping up to be one of my faves. Seems to be very dynamic : ) Also can anyone say what were Sakurais comments on the reset bomb pic recently? I dunno where you see them :P Cause I see nothing in the actual site.

Also can anyone say what were Sakurais comments on the reset bomb pic recently? I dunno where you see them tongue.png Cause I see nothing in the actual site.

he posts them in the Smash Bros Miiverse community

Pic of the day. A Reset Bomb has gone off! It's meant to return the surrounding area back to nature.

and for Todays pic of the Day

A panoramic view of Wuhu Island. The stage flies around the right hand side of the mountain.

Boy I'm pretty slow at noticing things, but with Toon Link appearing as a background character on a Spirit Tracks themed level, surely that would mean he'll be unlikely to be a playable character?

screen-8_zps38f64bef.jpg

Frankly, I wouldnt be too bummed about Toon Link getting the cut, He was nice and all but I would rather to have his speedy attributes to be added to reguler Link (reflecting Skywards Swords also more Agile Link) at this Point

speaking of Link

Todays Pic of the Day

IupYlye.jpg

Link shows off his Flashy Moves, but kirby is throghoutly unimpressed, so he starts dancing instead

• Thumbs Up 1

The HD-ness becomes more and more apparent with each new Wii U screenshot. I like how this game is shaping up visually as well as mechanically 

Jesus christ, it took me a moment to notice that was just Link's FTilt. Even the normal moves look all flashy and purty-looking now. wub.png

Todays Picture of the Day

wfZdAdI.jpg

Samus and Mega Man find out who has the Bigger Balls in this Town.

....or maybe thats their version of a Arm Cannon High Five, who knows.

Sakurai says:

"The same name, yet a completely different move. Mega Man’s Charge Shot is a chargable side smash attack."

Edited by Mr. NinjaShark

I love how they still haven't got character sword glows right.  Link's sword trace there has the same issues as the Brawl one.  

What do you even mean by that? Hard as I look it looks pretty much flawless to me. o.o

INTf6Gn.jpg

This right here is clearly a flaw.  The glow should do a smooth continuous gradient fade but it instead leaves this weird, low-res after-image.  Also, this is a weird example to isolate of normal moves becoming more flashy, because 64, Melee and Brawl all had this kind of sword trace (something like this would be a better example). Furthermore as a side note, Link's bag on his belt is clipping through his sheathe.  Yeah these are nitpicks, but to say this is flawless is objectively wrong.

You know what isn't a nitpick though?  The character rigs in general.  I'm loving the art style of the game, the improved higher poly models, the brighter textures, the level of detail in a number of areas and the lighting engine of the game so far but seriously why are they still using Brawl's rather crappy rigs (or if they aren't, they look hardly any better than Brawl's)?   

Link's FTilt always had oomph to it though mainly thanks to the animation.  I think the solid after-image there would make sense if he was actually hitting something, but clearly here he isn't.  If the after-image stayed there during the post attack hitlag that would help to emphasise the oomph further imo.  I too prefer it when attacks have oomph and it's part of the reason why I prefer a number of Melee sound effects and animation to their Brawl counterparts (heck part of my personal animation style when doing actions is to try to make the action as short as possible and draw emphasis to the anticipation and reaction, sometimes to the point where the action occasionally doesn't read well).  I also like a number of the additional effects that they've added to the Smash 4 attacks (those to me seem a lot more like a stylistic choice than this).

Though mind you, Link FTilt in motion looks a fair bit better than that screenshot (barring the fact that it just vanishes without any sort of fade):

Link actually looks pretty dang fly in that screenshot. I'm loving his design in this game.

Wonder if they'll use this model for the next Zelda game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Link actually looks pretty dang fly in that screenshot. I'm loving his design in this game.

Wonder if they'll use this model for the next Zelda game.

I agree with this.  I believe I said before that TP Link's design is actually very good and looks great in the artwork but wasn't amazingly executed in TP and Brawl in terms of the actual model.  But now on the Wii U they can properly add the little finer details and make the model look really amazing.  Not to mention the increased colour contrast to bring the colours closer to that of OoT Link really help to lift the design that extra little bit.  I think this is the best Link has ever looked.

• Thumbs Up 1

This right here is clearly a flaw.  The glow should do a smooth continuous gradient fade but it instead leaves this weird, low-res after-image.  Also, this is a weird example to isolate of normal moves becoming more flashy, because 64, Melee and Brawl all had this kind of sword trace (something like this would be a better example). Furthermore as a side note, Link's bag on his belt is clipping through his sheathe.  Yeah these are nitpicks, but to say this is flawless is objectively wrong.

All of which won't look bad or even be noticed when you're actually playing the game with the camera zoomed out.  These nitpicks are something you're only going to see when you pause the game and angle the camera or you're a developer using the developer camera.

All of which won't look bad or even be noticed when you're actually playing the game with the camera zoomed out.  These nitpicks are something you're only going to see when you pause the game and angle the camera or you're a developer using the developer camera.

Normally I'd agree and your statement applies to the majority, but as somebody who's been playing Smash games for years and mods them extensively, I've sort of developed an eye for noticing these sorts of things even in motion.  

Normally I'd agree and your statement applies to the majority, but as somebody who's been playing Smash games for years and mods them extensively, I've sort of developed an eye for noticing these sorts of things even in motion.  

if I remember correctly.... don't you play a part in Project M? A little of topic, but I hafta ask XD

if I remember correctly.... don't you play a part in Project M? A little of topic, but I hafta ask XD

Aye, I've been an animator for Project:M for the past 2 years and have been modding Brawl since 2010.

Though I apologise for potentially derailing the thread at all.  As far as more relevant discussion to Smash 4 goes, I wonder what other kind of gimmicks the Pyrosphere (the Metroid Other M) stage will have.  We've speculated that Ridley may appear due to the statement Sakurai made on Miiverse of "An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second…" but I wonder how he'll interact with the stage.  Will he tear down parts of it?  Will he attack the fighters?  How will the smaller platformers move if at all?

Aye, I've been an animator for Project:M for the past 2 years and have been modding Brawl since 2010.

Though I apologise for potentially derailing the thread at all.  As far as more relevant discussion to Smash 4 goes, I wonder what other kind of gimmicks the Pyrosphere (the Metroid Other M) stage will have.  We've speculated that Ridley may appear due to the statement Sakurai made on Miiverse of "An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second…" but I wonder how he'll interact with the stage.  Will he tear down parts of it?  Will he attack the fighters?  How will the smaller platformers move if at all?

well, I thank you good sir, my friends and I enjoy project M very much so, nice work

back on topic indeed.

As long as the metroid stage isn't as bad as the one in brawl was with it flipping upside down like it did... I'm cool with whatever. So many unwarranted deaths because of that damn flip....to this day I still don't understand how that fully works

• Thumbs Up 1

That ftilt of LInk's could very well be an updated version, and that afterimage glow is the first frames of Link's Skyward Strike energy slash shooting out.

Todays Picture of the Day

wfZdAdI.jpg

I didnt notice until now (Im ashamed xD) that this is a sample of the "no outlines" option Sakurai spoke of!!!

I can say Ill be using this one instead of the outlines wich makes it much easier to see but also somehow makes it uglier or dirtier IMO. (yeah I noticed I said clearer and dirtier, wich sounds ironic, but bare *wink wink* with me here :P

Sector 3 AKA Ridley Other M's battle room appears to be a playable stage1185644_10152131760918294_114771343_n.jp

The bad news is that, I heard, Sakurai says that "An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any second" If this is true then so much for Ridley being a playable character. At least he'll be a stage hazard so he's getting there, I guess... I wonder if his appearance will cause the characters PTSD.

Edited by Scootaloo