Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

What.  They're both pink balls and have multiple jumps.  That's literally the only similarity.  They're as similar as Peach is to Zelda.

Have you even played as both of them?

They have plenty of moves in common.

I can't list them all because I dont have a working copy of brawl and my melee save data has been wiped but they do have plenty of moves in common.

Edited by Dom

The bad news is that, I heard, Sakurai says that "An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any second" If this is true then so much for Ridley being a playable character. 

He may appear at any second.... because he is off screen! As a playable character! A shocking twist!

I just want ridley playable please

• Thumbs Up 4

He may appear at any second.... because he is off screen! As a playable character! A shocking twist!

I just want ridley playable please

actualy, only playable characters shown in there are samus and bowser, so Ridely COULD be playable.... maybe

In this stage, Ridley flies down onto the arena and pushes the players off of the sides of the platform because he is too big.

• Thumbs Up 5

Have you even played as both of them?

They have plenty of moves in common.

I can't list them all because I dont have a working copy of brawl and my melee save data has been wiped but they do have plenty of moves in common.

Well out of their special moves only Side B is vaguely similar.  The others are all wildly different.  I'm sure they have many similar A attacks (there's only so many combat poses one can do with circles with little arms and feet) but it's kind of the special moves that really define characters, and I don't recall Jigglypuff copying abilities or Kirby sending people to sleep or rolling around the stage (not to mention insta-KOing with a well-timed nap).

Pretty much all of Jiggly's tilts (and maybe the air moves too? That I'm less sure of) are completely identical to Kirby's visually... everything beyond that is kind of a stretch. Given that they're both round and have no joints, a few similarities were pretty much expected, really, but the former's special moves and ridiculous air manueverability easily puts Jiggly in a whole other league of her own.

Kinda wish they'd buff her Up+B though. It's kind of disheartening that her trademark move is pretty much the least effective move in her arsenal even when it does connect.

Ok, I may possibly get some flames for this buuuutttt....With all of the negative reactions from critics, the waning interest from both consumers and third party developers, and the system's insistence on gimmicky peripherals and forced touch screen usage, my question is:

CAN SUPER SMASH BROS 4 SAVE THE WII-U FROM EXTINCTION? 

or

SHOULD WE SAVE UP FOR THE 3DS VERSION?

Additionally:

CAN SMASH BROS MAKE THE TRANSITION TO PORTABLE?

AND WHAT WILL THAT MEAN FOR THE SMASH BROS COMMUNITY ON A COMPETITIVE LEVEL?

Okie-dokie, caps lock off.

Jiggles's Dair is a lot more fluid with less startup than Kirby's, but Kirby's has more force and has spiking properties. Kirby's Fair is a triple kick, Jiggles's is a dropkick. Kirby's Uair is a flipkick; Jiggz's, a handswipe above her. Kirby sticks both feet out in his Bair, while Jiggz sticks one foot out and spins. Kirby spins his body in place for Nair, while Jiggz just sticks a foot out.

Their aerials are widely different, except for Dair, which even then is an attacking posture that Luigi, Fox, and Falco use as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

CAN SUPER SMASH BROS 4 SAVE THE WII-U FROM EXTINCTION? 

No more than it did for the Gamecube.

SHOULD WE SAVE UP FOR THE 3DS VERSION?

Only if you have other people to play with locally.

CAN SMASH BROS MAKE THE TRANSITION TO PORTABLE?

That has literally never been in doubt.

AND WHAT WILL THAT MEAN FOR THE SMASH BROS COMMUNITY ON A COMPETITIVE LEVEL?

Absolutely nothing.

This is Captain Obvious, signing off.

No more than it did for the Gamecube.

Sooooo...the system will be dead in a year. K

Wait, hold up, what happened to online play? Surely the 3DS's online capicity is greater than that?

That has literally never been in doubt.

That doesn't sound like assurance based on evidence with hands-on or detailed reports. That sounds like delusion.

Absolutely nothing.

So another 10 years of Melee it is. Who knows, maybe Nintendo will be smart an offer a pot bonus at EVO instead of, ya know, shutting it down.

Admiral Reality, AWAAAAYY!!

Edited by FalconKick

Wait, hold up, what happened to online play? Surely the 3DS's online capicity is greater than that?

It is, but the biggest draw of a game that's playable on the move is playing with other people that are also on the move.

That doesn't sound like assurance based on evidence with hands-on or detailed reports. That sounds like delusion.

If the 3DS version plays even a single bit differently to the WiiU one on a control-based level I'd certaintly like to hear how.

Who knows, maybe Nintendo will be smart an offer a pot bonus at EVO instead of, ya know, shutting it down.

I guess this never happened.

Edited by Blacklightning

It is, but the biggest draw of a game that's playable on the move is playing with other people that are also on the move.

So +1 for the 3DS, as usual, but what's this?

If the 3DS version plays even a single bit differently to the WiiU one on a control-based level I'd certaintly like to hear how.

THAT'S WHAT I'M ASKING YOU! Or am I asking the wrong person?

It is a valid concern, as history have often showed us that popular fighting games never really survived the transition to portable system unscathed. There is always a trade off for the convenience for portability.

Oh MY mistake, I thought you where actually paying attention.

So another 10 years of Melee it is. Who knows, maybe Nintendo will be smart an offer a pot bonus at EVO instead of, ya know, shutting it down.

So instead of Melee being some rare, once-in-a-blue-moon occurrence that had to be funded by fans to gain a spot @ EVO, Nintendo could actually join all the other companies and host a Melee tourney and offer the money for the winners. Cause the only involvement Ninty did with this year's EVO is causing distrust amongst their fans.

THAT'S WHAT I'M ASKING YOU! Or am I asking the wrong person?

Is it not obvious from the reveal footage? Serious question, because I am struggling to see the difference, lower resolution aside.

It is a valid concern, as history have often showed us that popular fighting games never really survived the transition to portable system unscathed. There is always a trade off for the convenience for portability.

Without getting into the argument that Smash isn't technically much of a fighting game so much as a party brawler, it isn't really so obtuse on the core level that most players are going to be inconvenienced by the amount of buttons immediately available to a 3DS player as opposed to the WiiU one. To a pretty good extent you could play it on a GBA if the hardware actually supported it.

What kinds of fighting games are we talking, exactly? Because it goes without saying that stuff like Street Fighter doesn't exactly translate well.

Oh MY mistake, I thought you where actually paying attention.

I was - I was just correcting this assertion that Nintendo ultimately cancelled the Melee tourney entirely, when it was a spat that lasted like two days, if even that, and even then only because nobody at EVO thought to actually ask them for permission, much less their own contribution. I get that Nintendo's kinda left people in the dark but wouldn't a little communication have helped?

Edited by Blacklightning

This is a point actually - all this time I've thought of the 3DS version as just being there "for 3DS owners" who haven't got a Wii U, and if you do own both then you enjoy the bonus of extra stages to play on.

I wonder if they'll include any semblance of Single Card play, and/or whether 3DS will have a slightly more expanded Single Player mode considering, in the grand scheme of things, more people will be playing alone due to the various factors portable gaming provides.

• Thumbs Up 1

My main concern with the 3DS version is whether or not it will run at 60 fps.  If it doesn't that's a pretty big issue considering that Smash is a game that often requires frame perfect execution and because every other Smash game runs at 60 fps.

That's a pretty good point. Now that you mention it, I don't think Kid Icarus ran any higher than 30FPS either... assuming this isn't, would it still matter if say, they used less frames to sync it better with the framerate? I guess it'd make certain things more lenient but I think I'd prefer that over taking a crapshoot over whether something will trigger between frames.

Edited by Blacklightning

Sorry if I misunderstand this, but you make it seem as if the 3DS version was deconfirmed for Online. Given, I rather play locally with friends to avoid lag, but Nintendo's online should be significantly better and there's no excuse to not have a playable online for the 3DS version.

I clarified that in the very next post. dry.png

I'll probably be using the WiiU version for all my online matches anyway. Can't say I'd know what everyone else's preferences are.

I clarified that in the very next post. dry.png

I'll probably be using the WiiU version for all my online matches anyway. Can't say I'd know what everyone else's preferences are.

kinda didn't know what you meant with that "on the move" comment is all, sorry about that I guess.

Given, the Wii U version would be my preferred console of online play, I do have friends who do NOT own a Wii U, so an online mode for both versions would be nice seeing how I plan on getting both.

Anyone wonder how much Smash 3DS would cost? I'm guessing $40, but I also wonder how much content the Wii U version wil have over the 3DS version

I think the 3DS version will run in 60FPS, well at least with 3D off it probably will.

Is it not obvious from the reveal footage? Serious question, because I am struggling to see the difference, lower resolution aside.

What was obvious is that there is more clipping than usual, a more limited field of vision, and that whole outline thing. I feel the backgrounds are duller than the Wii-U versions but that is a personal opinion. But none of that shit actually matters compared to...

Without getting into the argument that Smash isn't technically much of a fighting game so much as a party brawler, it isn't really so obtuse on the core level that most players are going to be inconvenienced by the amount of buttons immediately available to a 3DS player as opposed to the WiiU one. To a pretty good extent you could play it on a GBA if the hardware actually supported it.

What kinds of fighting games are we talking, exactly? Because it goes without saying that stuff like Street Fighter doesn't exactly translate well.

I think your definition of "core players" are different from mine. It sounds like to me you're speaking from a general level while I am speaking from the competitive side. Now are correct in stating that, at it's most basic level, SSB can played on any system, because it is very simple to pick up and play. However, SSB is still very much a precision based fighter, even more so than other traditional fighters. How in the world are you guys gonna do wavedashes and L-Cancels on a slidepad and a 24 hour charge limit?

Everyone knows that even the slightest change in control scheme and peripherals can change an entire way you play your game. This is probably why so many fighting game fans prefer playing on Playstations than XBOX. This is why Nintendo offered the options to use GC Pads and Pro Controllers in Brawl. THIS IS the actual reason why everyone hops on arcade stick eventually.

What that in mind, YES, I consider Smash a traditional fighter, like Street Fighter, Tekken and BlazBlue and NOT gimmicky anime stuff like Final Fantasy Dissidia and the legion of bad DBZ fighters. When you construct your own terminology, have players creating techniques on their own, create player strategies and have a strong competitive community like Smash does, than I believe it has transcended it's party fighter status to rise up to be a genuine fighting game. 

I was - I was just correcting this assertion that Nintendo ultimately cancelled the Melee tourney entirely, when it was a spat that lasted like two days, if even that, and even then only because nobody at EVO thought to actually ask them for permission, much less their own contribution. I get that Nintendo's kinda left people in the dark but wouldn't a little communication have helped?

I never implied that they made good on their promise: they already pussed out on that. I was just stating their intentions to cancel the tournament. Though i will give you this one, EVO and Mr. Wizard should have contacted Ninty, even for a surprise entry backed by fan's money. On the flip side, EVO is THE Place to show off your premier fighting games (even Warner Bros bribed their way in to EVO). If they where smart, they would be hosting Melee entries every year.

Nintendo are ran by such paranoid freaks, they scare off anyone who wants to give them free advertisement unless you are A) Another Japneese Developer or cool.png You work for them. It's sad really.

Without getting into the argument that Smash isn't technically much of a fighting game so much as a party brawler, it isn't really so obtuse on the core level that most players are going to be inconvenienced by the amount of buttons immediately available to a 3DS player as opposed to the WiiU one. To a pretty good extent you could play it on aGBA if the hardware actually supported it.

What kinds of fighting games are we talking, exactly? Because it goes without saying that stuff like Street Fighter doesn't exactly translate well.

Maybe fighters didn't transition well in the era of the GBA, (yo if you've played SF2 on GBA you are gonna hear me on this) but the vita has good ports of both Blazblue and MVC3. I think along with like DOA, Tekken and maybe MK?

Fighters are fine on a portable. Although with the 3DS specifically I can see the circle pad being a pain in the ass, smash will most likely be fine too because people were using analogs for gods sake 

• Thumbs Up 1

1537n6f.jpg

DK with a new Dthrow? Or at least a new posture for the Dthrow?

Oh hey there's the big gaping hole Ridley left when he bailed out.

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maybe fighters didn't transition well in the era of the GBA, (yo if you've played SF2 on GBA you are gonna hear me on this) but the vita has good ports of both Blazblue and MVC3. I think along with like DOA, Tekken and maybe MK?

Fighters are fine on a portable. Although with the 3DS specifically I can see the circle pad being a pain in the ass, smash will most likely be fine too because people were using analogs for gods sake 

I agree, the thought of playing smash on a slide pad does concern me a bit, given it will be the only way I can play with friends onlne (if 3DS supports online) seeing how they don't own a Wii U. Maybe I'll suck it up and if they give you the same control configuration as Brawl, switch the controls over to move them with the dpad.... but that worries me too XD

While I'm admittedly tempted to go into another quote dissection, I think for once I'm just gonna bail out of this one, if only because I usually turn to Smash specifically to avoid all this talk of tourney-level bullshit. It never ends well for me. =S

DK with a new Dthrow? Or at least a new posture for the Dthrow?

It seems to be hitting Mario behind him though...  part of me wonders if this some strange new midair application of his Down+B. Don't suppose Sakurai's quote sheds any light on it?