Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Sonic and Mario were the symbols of the console wars in the 90s, so I'd say Sonic definately belongs to Nintendo's history.

So yeah, Pacman doesn't have such a connection to Nintendo like Sonic does, but seriously, Snake didn't have one either.

Edited by Thighoul

Once again, sounds like Sonic. Why do we keep making excuses for Sonic but not for anyone else? This whole talk of Pac-Man being a terrible character and other characters being more "deserving" is nonsense.

Because it seems some (rather ironically) come to accept current precedents as the only means on which something may proceed or operate - despite the fact that said precedent itself has seen revision and modification. That, or it's just plain old bias.

Before Brawl, the thought of characters that weren't Nintendo exclusive was unthinkable. After Brawl, it is accepted. Is it that infeasible that they might be expanding their horizons again - and further still, must that be a bad thing? I for one don't find it that surprising, and given Pac-man's legacy and importance to gaming as a whole, as well as the fact that he has actually appeared in Nintendo titles and properties...add in Namco's involvement, and not only is it not that surprising, it makes nothing but sense. Most complaints about Pac-man apply to several characters in Super Smash Bros. Given the context of the situation, why is this one in particular such a big deal?

Edit: Subjective bias it is, apparently.

Edited by Heinous Creature
  • Thumbs Up 1

*Is disappointed that the 101st picture is not a Wonder Red Reveal*

Does Nintendo even own the wonderful 101?

Once again, sounds like Sonic. Why do we keep making excuses for Sonic but not for anyone else? This whole talk of Pac-Man being a terrible character and other characters being more "deserving" is nonsense.

Man it's as if we're on a sonic site so there's obviously going to be some bias( jk)

....Once again, read my posts. I feel like people are just reading the first sentence and stopping. I already covered Sonic and if you truly believe that Sonic has done little for Nintendo I just got to say... what? Crossovers, exclusive games, partnerships, promotion, publishing, etc? Please. It's gone so far that people are saying that Sonic is a part of Nintendo.

But I'd rather not talk about Pacman again, since we've already seen that it goes in circles. It just boils down to this - I don't want Pacman in the game. Easy as that. We could debate all the various reasons why, but it's meaningless.

Does Nintendo even own the wonderful 101?

Yes.

I did read the entirety of your post. I'm only quoting the first sentence because the rest of the post is just supplementary material used to defend that main point.

Sonic is often associated with Nintendo, sure, but he is not some major part of Nintendo's history. Nintendo can, has, and will long into the future continue function without Sonic the Hedgehog. Sega is not in any way the powerhouse that it once was and it hasn't been for an extremely long time. Sega's continued association with Nintendo is more of means to get by and stay alive in the gaming world than anything else. Nintendo exclusive Sonic titles aren't really doing Nintendo any serious favors. Nintendo stands on its own far more than Sega / Sonic has in over a decade.

Every single fucking point that has been made against Pac-Man's inclusion can be applied to Sonic so it's ridiculous to somehow act as if he (and several other characters) are exempt from your reasoning. You don't want Pac-Man in the game, sure, fine, but don't cite reasons that can be applied to characters already added to the game and feign ignorance.

Relevancy is an especially laughable point considering Nintendo's treatment of the vast majority of the IPs represented in Smash Bros. Pac-Man has a brand new game coming out later this month. When was the last F-Zero game again?

I'd rather not continue to talk about Pac-Man either, but some of the language used whenever he is brought up is rather irksome to me and I feel the need to respond to it. More so because I am actually a fan of the character.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 3

*Searches up Klonoa*

Pacman has more of a chance than this thing

Well, that's kind of, well, being ignorant. No offense, though, but honestly, you wouldn't be saying this if you had actually played his games. =/

Found this wacky little photoshop:

td1UlWP.jpg

And instantly thought of this 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU

Glorious.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well, that's kind of, well, being ignorant. No offense, though, but honestly, you wouldn't be saying this if you had actually played his games. =/

Probably true.

biggrin.png

That was rude of me wacko.png

Edited by jordine

Sakurai is starving us for news. When is the next reveal man??? When?! Pokemon,Wonderful 101,Returning characters, anything! I'm getting so eager for the next reveal. A stage would satisfy me.(I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you might as well show off that Mario Galaxy stage.:P) I mean the pictures are nice, but it feels like Nintendo are just dangling a reveal over us...

Hopefully this week has something.

As for the pacman thing, I just wouldn't want to see him because I feel we already have enough 3rd parties as it is.(not to mention I just don't like him all that much)

Not really. Klonoa is cool and all, and I'd rather have him than Pac-Man, but Pac-Man definitely has a better chance.

And he's not really any discernible animal, so "Thing" is a fitting word =P

Found this wacky little photoshop:

td1UlWP.jpg

And instantly thought of this 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU

Glorious.

You made me remind of this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P-HctwFU6U

Hmm, thats funny, that picture is making me wonder if we might get into 8-way gameplay in this entry....

Not really. Klonoa is cool and all, and I'd rather have him than Pac-Man, but Pac-Man definitely has a better chance.

And he's not really any discernible animal, so "Thing" is a fitting word =P

Well, actually, in previous Namco marketing materials, they specifically called him a cat. A long-eared cat. So I don't know about you or anyone else, but I'd rather stick to the official word rather than outright calling him, "Klonoa the Thing."

And I know that Pac has a better chance. I've said it myself after all a couple of pages back.

I really really really don't want Pacman in Smash Bros. Growing up with him in gaming was painful enough when you count every single shoddy game he had.

This topic is just a headache. Let's change the subject here:

What are your thoughts on the possible 5 player action in this game?

I want it. It would be something to distinguish it from the previous Smash Bros. games and would be a pretty neat innovation.

• Thumbs Up 5

5 player would be kind of cluttery unless we had stages as big as brawls (which would be bad) and it would honestly make it hard to fight anyone with 4 other players at your throat.

• Thumbs Up 1

This topic is just a headache. Let's change the subject here:

I agree completely.

5 player battles are not going to be happening. I also think Sakurai said he isn't going to use any of the unique Wii U features in the game's core gameplay.

Here's my prediction about the Gamepad.

1) A player can use it as a controller.

2) It will display a stats screen.

Edited by Autosaver

I would like some form of 5-player multiplayer, even if it's not five fighters on screen (although that would be cool and it would give big stages a purpose). Maybe some sort of mode where one person uses the Wii-U tablet to try to fuck over everyone while they try to fight each other using Wiimotes or Pro Controllers or other stuff like that?

• Thumbs Up 1

My thoughts on Pacman is that as a gaming icon he deserves to appear in the game, but I would much much rather see him appear as a guest stage rather than a guest character.

If he does appear as a character, I'm just sad that he'll prolly look like his lame Ghostly Adventures form.  They updated his look for Mario Kart Arcade GP 3 so I don't see why they wouldn't here, blurgh.

• Thumbs Up 5

I know this is probably too soon to be asking, but do you guys think either version of this will have a per-order bonus?(like a skin,level, early access to a unlockable character?)

I know this is probably too soon to be asking, but do you guys think either version of this will have a per-order bonus?(like a skin,level, early access to a unlockable character?)

Not really Nintendo's style.  They tend to prefer physical collectibles and I'm glad for it.  I'd be seriously surprised.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not a level/stage. If Sakurai's wanting to captivate the competitive crowd, restricting a stage that could be competitive to only a select few who pre-ordered would do a lot of harm.

Having skins and an early unlock for a specific character might be possibilities, but even then Sakurai wants to refrain from editing the original code for the game at the expense of others missing out of it.

My thoughts on Pacman is that as a gaming icon he deserves to appear in the game, but I would much much rather see him appear as a guest stage rather than a guest character.

If he does appear as a character, I'm just sad that he'll prolly look like his lame Ghostly Adventures form.  They updated his look for Mario Kart Arcade GP 3 so I don't see why they wouldn't here, blurgh.

I like his redesign, his old design look... bland.

New

pacman-thumbsup.jpg

Old

pacman.gif

But that probably just me.

Anyway, I don't think Sakurai want to do a 5 player mode due to him wanting the 3DS owners to have the same experience as the Wii U owner (Minus the stages).

• Thumbs Up 5

Anyway, I don't think Sakurai want to do a 5 player mode due to him wanting the 3DS owners to have the same experience as the Wii U owner (Minus the stages).

The 3DS is capable of having over 4 players. Mario Kart DS/7 both allow over 4 players and are playable on 3DS. Are there any other 3DS games(non racing) that allow 5 or more players at once?