Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Sakurai, stop giving us these completely free images as I may be disappointed when they differ from the finished game. Please understand.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well to be honest, with a game like Smash I'd rather know all the characters and the way to unlock them before release ala the Dojo, so I don't have to spend forever to get the full roster of the game. 

Edited by Ghostly Warp

Well to be honest, with a game like Smash I'd rather know all the characters and the way to unlock them before release ala the Dojo, so I don't have to spend forever to get the full roster of the game. 

That, to me and to the many devs I guess, completely ruins half the fun of the game.

"Oh wow this game is game is awesome. I'm on a winning streak. HOLY SHIT I JUST UNLOCKED MARIO! I had no idea he was in this game! This is the best game ever!"

Instead of...

"FFS I need to win 50 matches in a row on hard mode to unlock Mario. Don't care about all these other characters that I already know about, I just want that one. "

Instant gratification in games kinda sucks.

I don't want the whole game to be spoiled, but seriously, one NEW character reveal in 4 months can't hurt, right?

I just want a new character I can be excited about again. After months of old character reveals, I simply don't care anymore. Is it really that bad I want something fresh and new for once?

That, to me and to the many devs I guess, completely ruins half the fun of the game.

"Oh wow this game is game is awesome. I'm on a winning streak. HOLY SHIT I JUST UNLOCKED MARIO! I had no idea he was in this game! This is the best game ever!"

Instead of...

"FFS I need to win 50 matches in a row on hard mode to unlock Mario. Don't care about all these other characters that I already know about, I just want that one. "

Instant gratification in games kinda sucks.

IDK, when one of the things that Smash Bros is for is friends coming over to play with you, not having the full roster is a massive pain. Honestly, I think that Smash 4 should just not have character unlocks and have the whole roster available from the start like many other fighting games, and have other unlockables such as stages and skins. The reason I want to know the character stuff is because they most likely won't go that route.

People will find out everything within a week anyway.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm honestly fine with character unlocks. Even if you already know all the characters and how to get them, the process of getting them can be rewarding and enjoyable in its own way. Like they say, it's the journey, not the destination.

The problem with the pictures, like I said, is that they're so mundane and usually involve the characters just standing around. The 100th Daily Pic was Luigi touching his nose, for crying out loud. This is Super Smash Bros. A game based around fighting. So why have none of the pictures lately had anything to do with that?

>Colors bots, Shadow, and Amy are being offered in discussions of Sonic's alt skins

I guess I'm the only one who wants to see a classic Sonic alternate skin. :(

Classic_Sonic.png

I'd think it's be a giant missed opportunity if "slight darker shade of blue Sonic with pink bracelets" or somebody else got in over the Genesis design, especially considering that they even have the Generations model at hand to use as a basis. Some people have even hacked the Generations model in Brawl with little if any problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX93A8hyZM8

On a slightly lesser note, a Metal Sonic skin would be pretty cool though.

• Thumbs Up 8

Unlocking all the characters in Smash Bros. has never been that fun so I don't really get why having them all at the start is a bad thing.

In Brawl especially it was a massive pain in the ass and I'd rather they just do away with it if they can't make it something other than tedious bullshit.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unlocking all the characters in Smash Bros. has never been that fun so I don't really get why having them all at the start is a bad thing.

In Brawl especially it was a massive pain in the ass and I'd rather they just do away with it if they can't make it something other than tedious bullshit.

Nah, unlocking the  characters was kind of half the fun for me, it gives alot of incentive to even playing the game and its probably the only thing that really gave the game some replay value for me since unlike kid icarus uprising (and kirby air ride to some extent), getting most of the achievements done was just boring and the rewards were really lacking too so unless they made some pretty cool unlocks, id rather they keep the unlock characters rule.

• Thumbs Up 4

Why HAS no one suggested Classic Sonic yet? That seems so obvious. Obvious and awesome.

I remember people getting pissed at Playstation All-Stars not having any unlockable characters, why are we suddenly flip-flopping for Smash Bros?

Brawl's method of unlocking characters wasn't THAT bad. Some objectives were tedious, yes, but at the same time, some characters literally had three different ways to unlock them, and almost all of them could be unlocked right out just by playing SSE. I remember being disappointed at how easy some characters are to get just because of SSE.

Why HAS no one suggested Classic Sonic yet? That seems so obvious. Obvious and awesome.

I remember people getting pissed at Playstation All-Stars not having any unlockable characters, why are we suddenly flip-flopping for Smash Bros?

Brawl's method of unlocking characters wasn't THAT bad. Some objectives were tedious, yes, but at the same time, some characters literally had three different ways to unlock them, and almost all of them could be unlocked right out just by playing SSE. I remember being disappointed at how easy some characters are to get just because of SSE.

Most characters have three methods to unlock them while Sonic the Hedgehog is the only one having four methods and you can unlock all of them by playing Subspace Emissary. 

Are you telling me that playing Versus for twenty hours to unlock Mewtwo wasn't just thrilling for you?

• Thumbs Up 2

I enjoyed unlocking characters in melee, but I never did those, 1000 matches or something something hours challenges. I got mine through the fun methods of events and adventure mode.

Are you telling me that playing Versus for twenty hours to unlock Mewtwo wasn't just thrilling for you?

Who did that? Each controller connected counted, so having two controllers made it 15 hours, 3 10 hours and 4 5 hours. Just connect the controllers, start a stock battle and go somewhere for a few hours. Me and my brother did it before school and when we were back we got Mewtwo.

I enjoyed unlocking characters in melee, but I never did those, 1000 matches or something something hours challenges. I got mine through the fun methods of events and adventure mode.

I just hope that they don't do what they did for the classic DK stage in melee and have you do a 15 minute melee for one stage.

Problem with classic Sonic is hitboxes. He's a fair bit smaller than modern Sonic and has different proportions (smaller body and legs most notably).

• Thumbs Up 2

Who did that? Each controller connected counted, so having two controllers made it 15 hours, 3 10 hours and 4 5 hours. Just connect the controllers, start a stock battle and go somewhere for a few hours. Me and my brother did it before school and when we were back we got Mewtwo.

Me. I only had one controller at the time. Truly was suffering.

I never complained about all of the characters in PlayStation All-Stars being unlocked from the start. I was actually pleasantly surprised.

Subspace Emissary wasn't fun so the easiest way to unlock the vast majority of characters was boring and tedious. Having three different methods to unlock Wolf and Toon Link didn't make them any less of a pain in the ass either. Unless you play 400+ Brawl matches (which takes a while) it's impossible to unlock Toon Link or Wolf without playing through Subspace Emissary in its entirety.

Sonic had four unlock methods but the only one that doesn't take hours is beating Classic mode with 10 different characters. The only other options are having him join you in Subspace Emissary (which is right before you beat it anyway), play the game for 10 hours (which is time that could be spent playing Subspace Emissary) and playing 300 Brawl matches (which still takes a long fucking time).

The illusion of freedom is a laughably weak one. Sakurai more or less told every gamer to play his mediocre Kirby Super Star knockoff to unlock everyone or kiss his ass.

My best friend and I set up a stock match and then left the GameCube on overnight. You shouldn't have to waste 20 hours unlocking a single fucking character in a fighting game.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2

The illusion of freedom is a laughably weak one. Sakurai more or less told every gamer to play his mediocre Kirby Super Star knockoff to unlock everyone or kiss his ass.

Yes this is certainly a reasonable interpretation of the scenario and not extreme levels of buttmad.

My best friend and I set up a stock match and then left the GameCube on overnight. You shouldn't have to waste 20 hours unlocking a single fucking character in a fighting game.

Well you don't have to "waste" 20 hours. You could, simply, play the game.
  • Thumbs Up 8