Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Personally I wouldn't mind the Avatar appearing as playable, I just can't see it happening. The Avatar's default name is Robin? Good, then I can stop calling it "Avatar" all the time. If they did use Robin, since Robin can be Male or Female they can do the same in here, and just make the alternate color variations alternate designs that the character can take. It'd be a pretty good deal, I'd say.

But still, I can't see Robin getting in over Chrom. If it DOES happen I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and yeah, over Lyn I'd prefer them to add a magic user as a second/third Fire Emblem addition. Fire Emblem isn't all about swords. The only two characters who are capable of getting in that have this capability I cannot see them actually getting the role. I don't think they'd take two characters from Awakening and I don't think we'll get Robin over Chrom. And Lucina, if she gets in, she'll probably be an outfit for Marth (aka, Marth has Lucina's "Masked Marth" outfit as a nod to her appearance).

The only other mage-type character I could see them even consider adding is Micaiah. Radiant Dawn is probably one of the best games in the series, but its still six years old. If they were ever going to add Micaiah, it would've been in the previous Smash Bros. game, and Ike always overshadows her anyway.

So yeah, I just don't see it happening. And anyone claiming to even suggest that Tharja can make it in are just grasping at straws. Haven't played Awakening and I KNOW that Tharja isn't important to the story whatsoever. They may go for more popular choices, but only if they're significant to the series they appear in. Some insignificant characters have appeared in Smash Bros., but only from old games that haven't seen the light of day in forever and there are few characters to work with. If you look at the franchises that HAVE significance and have a large cast to them, they always pick the most significant ones from the series.

Now, if they ultimately decide to keep Ike and add a new character (I could POTENTIALLY see them keeping Ike), then they'd probably choose Robin over Chrom. Out of all the characters in recent memory prior to Awakening Ike is easily the most significant, so its always possible that rather than drop Ike they'll keep him. If they don't keep Ike, though, I can't see them using anyone but Chrom from Awakening (I'd expect Chrom's fighting style to be similar to Ike's).

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I'd honestly hate to see someone like Tharja or Donnel get into the Smash games. I mean sure their inclusion could be cute and all, but we're talking about completely optional characters with zero relevance to the story whatsoever. Hell, even if you don't want to see just another Lord get in, there are still plenty of better options to choose from, like Micaiah from Radiant Dawn or Anna from like every game, both of which able to easily cover what the first two could bring to the table, and then some, and also have had a greater impact on the series itself than either of them. Hell, and odds are we're going to get the Avatar or Chrom when it comes to new FE reps, which I wouldn't have a problem with, but from just Awakening alone there are so many characters that did so much more for the game as a whole than either of those two, like Emmeryn, Tiki, Nowi, Basillio, Flavia, King Gangrel, Say'ri, Walhart, Virion, and so on, and yet I'd probably be against any of these making it in over Chrom or the Avatar. Like I can understand popularity, but I'd rather that a representative of a franchise actually did something substantial for the franchise itself at some point in its history, because if they can't at least do that, I really don't care how popular the character itself is

Now, I don't know about you guys, but I believe Matthew Taranto speaks for all of us here when it comes to the roster, what with the recent Marth reveal and all.

We need Roy.

2013-11-08-526-SmashVotersMarth.jpg

Yes Yes Yes yes yes yes. I would totally replace a character in my roster if Roy Koopa was in Smash.

The only sword + magic wielding character named Robin that I care about seeing in Smash Bros. is from Golden Sun.

And by "Robin" I mean "Isaac."

• Thumbs Up 2

The only sword + magic wielding character named Robin that I care about seeing in Smash Bros. is from Golden Sun.

And by "Robin" I mean "Isaac."

I think Isaac would be a great choice as well. In fact wasn't he an Assist Trophy in Brawl?

I can't see the Avatar from Awakening happening either, but personally I think it'd be a decent choice. If they are going the route of allowing Male/Female variants for specific characters that are usually either sex (Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Pokemon Trainer if he returns), Avatar/Robin could work well for that, and the addition of magic adds much, much more variety than the usual Fire Emblem Lord wielding only Swords.

Of course the likelihood is that its not going to happen. But playability wise at this point I think I'd rather have the Avatar over Chrom (personally I'd rather just have Lucina in general, but unfortunately I think Lucina is too close to Marth; at least Chrom would be closer to Ike).

They say that as technology advances, items become physically smaller.

s1uefs.jpg

Seems to be a reference to the capsules with toys in them that kids can get in Japan. That's a cute little nod.

Edited by Razor Wind

Nice little change. They look less like pills now.

But now I can't re-enact my drug-induced hysteria with Nintendo characters. :c

• Thumbs Up 2

You mean that those were capsules all along and not drugs that characters took and caused them to hallucinate using weapons?

• Thumbs Up 1

Better that then the fanboys that want Goku in this game crying (seriously, where that idea even came from?).

Better that then the fanboys that want Goku in this game crying (seriously, where that idea even came from?).

Well...

CapsulesBulmaGoku.png

It turns out we've actually seen the capsule before, albeit in its Brawl design

xL9ce9M.png

Seems like a lot could change from now until release. One could also reasonably assume that assets were directly taken from Brawl and transferred here as a starting point of development.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, it [the original capsule] could had been a placeholder in the beta.

Or they could both be in the game and the wider one would be a stronger, slower moving projectile. Could be possible.

Edited by Crow the BOOLET

Slower moving...it won't go as far is a better differentiation and one that makes more sense if its suppose to hit harder.

Well...

CapsulesBulmaGoku.png

I know, that's precisely why i referred to that fanbase: the question was about when the whole "Goku must be in SSB, lulz!11!1" started and why.

Edited by Teoskaven

It turns out we've actually seen the capsule before, albeit in its Brawl design

xL9ce9M.png

Seems like a lot could change from now until release. One could also reasonably assume that assets were directly taken from Brawl and transferred here as a starting point of development.

I think thats why Sakurai hasn't shown off characters attacks because he'll most likely change them. He mention some characters that he is keeping like Samus's charge shot. We didn't even get any info on mario's moveset. So change is bound to happen.

Dragon Ball games have a very storied history on Nintendo consoles (counted 39). I mean, it's possible.. technically.

There are a lot of popular mascots for various series' that would be an interesting fit. You can't immediately dismiss them despite how unlikely they may be; take reference from Solid Snake's unveil for Brawl.

Personally I'd like to see Konami's Goemon make an appearance. Just a dream. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Dragon Ball games have a very storied history on Nintendo consoles (counted 39). I mean, it's possible.. technically.

Not really.

At one point during the lead up to Brawl, Sakurai put out a pair of rules for viable third party character suggestions.  One of those rules was that the character in question had to have originated in video games.  There's no good reason to believe that Sakurai has changed his stance on this.

There are a lot of popular mascots for various series' that would be an interesting fit. You can't immediately dismiss them despite how unlikely they may be; take reference from Solid Snake's unveil for Brawl.

Yeah, too bad that Goku is a freaking anime/manga character, not originating himself from a videogame: it's like asking to put movie characters like Bill & Ted or Beetlejuice just because LJN made NES games about them.

Very glad to see capsules back, I like that they look like Gacha balls this time.

However I hope they fix something that bothers me, I hate it when they randomly explode. You do not know how many times I've thrown one on the ground hoping to get a good item and it just explodes on me. Can they add like a little wick on the top of the ones that explode or something?

Very glad to see capsules back, I like that they look like Gacha balls this time.

However I hope they fix something that bothers me, I hate it when they randomly explode. You do not know how many times I've thrown one on the ground hoping to get a good item and it just explodes on me. Can they add like a little wick on the top of the ones that explode or something?

But the whole point on them is to test your luck and see what you get, just there's a tiny chance that it's actually a bomb.

• Thumbs Up 2