Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I was hoping for the comet observatory, I just felt like it would work really well. However this stage is also interesting and cool looking. It still captures the Galaxy atmosphere very well!

Not really true.

Except it is. Game dev time+budget+shared character roster between a handheld and console version+limited space on handheld game carts=limited character roster. It's already also been said by Sakurai that they're basically going for "quality over quantity" (when he talked about how he didn't want the next - this Smash - to just be "more of the same!", he wanted it to be more different than just wanting to have more content), so don't expect this game to double, or even go much, if at all over Brawl's roster. Heck, it may be smaller than Brawl's roster... Veteran Characters may be excluded to make room for new blood. And for every character that does get in, another may have gotten the shaft.

Edited by Shade Vortex

lol no.

As far as I know, a 3DS game cart goes up to 8GB at max. So the entire 3DS game cannot be larger than that, or they couldn't have a physical copy.

Edited by Shade Vortex

As far as I know, a 3DS game cart goes up to 8GB at max. So the entire 3DS game cannot be larger than that, or they couldn't have a physical copy.

I hardly think the game is going to be over eight gigabytes

• Thumbs Up 3

What I'm saying is just because one character got in, say Rosalina, doesn't mean that's the reason a character like Ridely isn't. If they want both the can add them, so the roster number is specifically limited. If they have a 50 character limit and think of a 51st they could add, they won't be stopped by the number.

I'm also talking about oversaturation.

Which Mario is already in danger of doing, with Donkey/Diddy Kong, Yoshi, and Wario all being Mario characters to some extent; so Mario effectively has double the roster of the rest of the series in the game.  Mario is important, yes, but so is Metroid, who still only has one rep.  Hell, nobody even fucking heard of Fire Emblem before Melee, and it still got two reps over Metroid's one (and Kirby's one, at the time).

Edited by 100% Original Wario

Smash doesn't count all of those characters as Mario reps, so I don't see why I should.

e: also you complain about Metroid not getting enough respect but isn't it kind of demeaning to shove everyone under Mario's umbrella, as if they haven't been successful and important on their own?

Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 2

What I'm saying is just because one character got in, say Rosalina, doesn't mean that's the reason a character like Ridely isn't. If they want both the can add them, so the roster number is specifically limited. If they have a 50 character limit and think of a 51st they could add, they won't be stopped by the number.

They don't have infinite development time. They have a deadline, you know, and wasting all of that on Mario characters when there are other franchises that also deserve representation is stupid. And while the prospect of Mario getting five reps (Yoshi and Wario, of course, are not Mario reps) isn't out of the question, the problem is who should be included? There are like five characters who people think should be in, and they're hardly going to include all of them.

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst

The only Mario characters that could be worthy at this point are either Waluigi or Fawful; sorry, but i can't see Rosalina being that original. As for Metroid, aside from Ridley (wich i still don't know if it's worthy: i mean, it could end up like Firebrand in UMvC3) i don't see that many characters. Rundus maybe, but i don't know.

But still, they should focus first to give justice to other franchises, both old and new (Golden Sun and Xenoblade for examples).

Hmm, looking at the screen again, I find it somewhat odd that Sakurai would miss up on the chance of letting Bowser Jr cameo on top of Bowser's Airship in the screens, which has me sorta thinking that we could see him getting in as well. I mean with him playing so many villainous roles since his introduction in Sunshine, I could really see him taking the spot (And pardon my grasping at straws but with Pikachu awkwardly there with the rest of the Mario cast kinda makes me feel that another little yellow guy should be in his place) 

Though when it comes down to it, I think that he and Rosalina are the most likely potential adds to the cast, especially considering her spot as a playable in 3D World (Though going by what happened in Brawl, Sakurai might end up ignoring it) and her increasing appearances in the series as of late. So I guess we'll just have to seee

but i can't see Rosalina being that original.

If they can turn a gymnast into one of the most unique characters of the Smash Bros cast, they can easily make a magical princess unique too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see the logic in "Rosalina is playable in 3D World, confirmed for Smash Bros."

By that logic Toad is the most likely character, as he's also playable in 3D World, is available from the start (meaning he'll be more immediately recognisable), is more icnonic to the franchise as a whole, and also actually has some potential for a moveset unlike Rosalina.

Bowser Jr is still my number one Mario newcomer though, with Paper Mario to represent his own subseries and maybe the Baby Mario Bros in an Ice Climber-type duo as a second Yoshi rep (unlikely)

Smash doesn't count all of those characters as Mario reps, so I don't see why I should.

e: also you complain about Metroid not getting enough respect but isn't it kind of demeaning to shove everyone under Mario's umbrella, as if they haven't been successful and important on their own?

But they're from Mario.  They're in Mario more than they're in anything else.

Let's just make Pikachu his own rep; he's starred in games outside the main Pokemon franchise, so why should he be a Pokemon rep?  Obviously Yoshi and Wario have made their own names in their individual series, but to say that they're not Mario characters is backwards and downright wrong.  Because they are Mario characters.  They've just gotten their own games on the side.

Edited by 100% Original Wario
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let's just make Pikachu his own rep; he's starred in games outside the main Pokemon franchise, so why should he be a Pokemon rep?  Obviously Yoshi and Wario have main their own names, but to say that they're not Mario characters is backwards and downright wrong.  Because they are Mario characters.  They've just gotten their own games on the side.

Well, it's nice to acknowledge that Yoshi and Wario have their own series.

Let's just make Pikachu his own rep; he's starred in games outside the main Pokemon franchise, so why should he be a Pokemon rep?  Obviously Yoshi and Wario have main their own names, but to say that they're not Mario characters is backwards and downright wrong.  Because they are Mario characters.  They've just gotten their own games on the side.

Because these games have actually given characters their own identities unlike the massive amount of Pokémon spinoffs. The Wario games are infinitely more notable than any role Wario has actually had in a Mario game. He may have been introduced in a Mario game, but his own games are what made him a character.

If they can turn a gymnast into one of the most unique characters of the Smash Bros cast, they can easily make a magical princess unique too.

Problem is, i don't know how much she can be different from Peach aside for the spinning move and using star bits instead of Toads.

Problem is, i don't know how much she can be different from Peach aside for the spinning move and using star bits instead of Toads.

Have her Final Smash be a Luna Storm Barrage? I got nothing. Yeah, I like Rosalina more than Peach, but I honestly don't know what moves she'll have, which is why Rosalina is an iffy choice for Smash Bros.

The difference is that WFT actually has some precedent for her moves - she's a gymnast. This gives her a lot of potential moves that would still work. None of her moves are out of place. She may not be seen doing these things in-game, but it still makes sense. Rosalina has no potential. She doesn't have some character archetype that justifies her moveset. Any moves she would have would be completely out of nowhere and not represent the character at all.

I'd honestly rather have somebody like Waluigi get in over Rosalina. 

Hey, he was an Assist Trophy. All the Brawl in the Family jokes will finally pay off, when WAH-Luigi is playable. WAH! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Lack of support for Paper Mario makes me sad. You'd think having such a varied moveset on paper would get him more support.