Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I don't like the idea of Waluigi being in Smash Bros, I'd rather not have a character who has to resort to pulling go-karts and tennis rackets out of his ass, thank you very much. Bowser Jr. or bust.

Also yes, Paper Mario should also be in. He represents a very popular subseries and has loads of potential for a unique moveset, though I fear if he was included he'd mostly take inspiration from Sticker Star, which is not a pleasant thought

I don't like the idea of Waluigi being in Smash Bros, I'd rather not have a character who has to resort to pulling go-karts and tennis rackets out of his ass, thank you very much. Bowser Jr. or bust.

Also yes, Paper Mario should also be in. He represents a very popular subseries and has loads of potential for a unique moveset, though I fear if he was included he'd mostly take inspiration from Sticker Star, which is not a pleasant thought

Hey, Paper Mario could tell you about the Sticker feature. You know, that feature that nobody used in Brawl. I forgot that was even a part of the game. 

But they're from Mario.

Yes, and then they spun off and established their own identities. Insisting that they're Mario characters because they started out in the Mario series is like insisting that Mario is a Donkey Kong character because he started out in Donkey Kong.

Let's just make Pikachu his own rep; he's starred in games outside the main Pokemon franchise, so why should he be a Pokemon rep?

Because those were all Pokemon games even if they weren't "main" Pokemon games.

Obviously Yoshi and Wario have main their own names, but to say that they're not Mario characters is backwards and downright wrong.  Because they are Mario characters.  They've just gotten their own games on the side.

You might be able to make that argument for Yoshi, since he still has close ties with Mario, but Wario barely ever appears in Mario games outside of spinoffs, and he's had his own platformer series and the Warioware series (which is the primary source for his appearance and abilities in Smash). He and DK have spun off sufficiently as to have their own self-sustaining series that have nothing to do with Mario.

Rosalina has no potential. She doesn't have some character archetype that justifies her moveset.

She's got a bit of a magical/cosmic bent to her. And there's plenty of characters in Smash that had their moveset invented from nothing more than passing references and vague thematic elements, so that doesn't mean they couldn't include her.

I don't like the idea of Waluigi being in Smash Bros, I'd rather not have a character who has to resort to pulling go-karts and tennis rackets out of his ass, thank you very much.

AC Villager. Also Peach. And Wario's bike. Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 7

Well, a character that would be interesting, is extremely unlikely is Stanley the exterminator, he did have a trophy in brawl, and he is a Donkey kong character NOT a mario character(only appaerence was in DK3, which featured him and DK of course) of course his moveset would center around his spray can, and could have other exterminator stuff, but again, unless nintendo wanted to bring him back for a new game for some reason, rather unlikely he would show up

Another thing that would be interesting is a team of Robot Masters, but again, rather unlikely, despite how cool that would be

hmmm, well here is a thought, what if we got a truly antagonistic pokemon, or a bad guy pokemon team, but thats just a thought

if they wanted to add a classic DK enemy ref, King rool would be kool, but unlikely

personaly I think Issac from golden sun would be cool, and since we are getting a portable version its a lot more likely, but still iffy

How would that be a bad thing? There's literally nothing different about Paper Mario in SS compared to the rest of the series.

How would that be a bad thing? There's literally nothing different about Paper Mario in SS compared to the rest of the series.

Except for the fact that it threw out everything that made the games great in favour of a bland as fuck, gimmicky casualfest

Literally the only similarity between the games at all was "press button to jump on enemy," so even if you like the game saying there's nothing different about it is completely false

Using the special abilities of partner characters on the field and in combat is one of the defining features of the first three Paper Marios, possibly the most defining feature after the paper concept itself, but Sticker Star tosses out that mechanic for an increased focus on the paper environment and the tweak in battle mechanics.

That said, Smash characters take inspiration from all titles - Link still has his upward and downward thrusts from Zelda II - so Paper Mario would still get callbacks from PM, TTYD, and SPM. Possibly not the same amount as SS, but enough.

Edited by Razor Wind

Except for the fact that it threw out everything that made the games great in favour of a bland as fuck, gimmicky casualfest

What the fuck does that matter for Smash Bros though?
  • Thumbs Up 3

Literally the only similarity between the games at all was "press button to jump on enemy," so even if you like the game saying there's nothing different about it is completely false

...Okay, let me try to be a little bit more clear. there's nothing different about that games variation of Paper Mario. Of course the gameplay is radically different, but there's no way that any of those changes would translate into his moveset.

If PM is in this game (And isn't a clone), he'll use his various tools like any other variation of PM would.

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

So some guy brought up the prospect of having the Wisps as items

I actually really like this idea as it would be a great way of representing the most recent Sonic games without forcing stupid abilities on Sonic

The only Paper Mario character rapresentation i could want in this game is Mr.L/Green Thunder as an alternate costume for Luigi.

The problem with Paper Mario as a Smash character is that the actual combat abilities that he personally possesses are directly inspired by the Super Mario platformers.  The basic jump attack is obvious, and the hammer comes from Donkey Kong.  Everything else is an extension or a variation of those basic moves.  The Spin Jump is the Ground Pound, the Tornado Jump is the Spin Jump, etc.  The only abilities that don't fit this theme are things like the partners' attacks, the Star Spirit powers, the Crystal Star powers, and the Thing Stickers, none of which come from Mario himself.

Instead of having Paper Mario as a separate character, here's a better idea.  Drop FLUDD from Mario's moveset, and replace it with the ability to pull out a hammer.  That move would swap Mario's moveset would swap Mario's moveset out for a new one that can draw inspiration from the Mario RPGs in general, rather than just the Paper Mario games.

What the fuck does that matter for Smash Bros though?

I really need to read stuff more thoroughly, don't I

Mostly just personal bias tbh. I'd be fine with stuff like a stage and items from Sticker Star, but I just don't like the idea of Mario borrowing gameplay mechanics from it, since the original games were more enjoyable for me, and also more iconic to the franchise, and feel like they would make for a far more interesting moveset than anything from Sticker Star (I could just be biased in that regard though)

I suppose it would all hinge on whether or not Sakurai would prioritize representing the more iconic and popular games or going for the most recent title, assuming he ever got in in the first place. More likely for just a Paper Mario stage and maybe an item

Say, why dont we think about who some new includsions could be? I mean we have what, 3 new characters so far? well, why I am not expecting a ton of new characters, I feel like we more than likely will get 5 or so more additional newcomers, while not a ton, but some, so why dont we discuss and think about this a bit?

I think a possible one would be Issac from goldensun, as its a francise thats been around a while, even though mainly portable, and there are a number of interesting things they could do with his moveset

I also wouldnt nessecarily rule out a koopaling, especialy with their comeback, especialy sinc they have been around since SMB3, they do have the legacy for one of them to come, even if they by themselves arent too unique, they could have them in a fighting mech, and that could be interesting

I'm just gonna ask. Why do so many people want Bowser Jr. in?

Before you mention his powers and paintbrush in Super Mario Sunshine, he's only used those once, and in every other game he's been in, he's done stuff Bowser would usually do. Since they're so used to relying on recent stuff for representation, I doubt the paintbrush would even be considered. He'd be basically a tiny Bowser.

I can see Waluigi and Rosalina getting in before Bowser Jr.

Little Mac, K. Rool and Bowser Jr. need to be in this game

Waddle Dee would also be cool but three reps is enough for Kirby I think

Actualy here is a thought, what if instead of Paper Mario, they put in one of the more iconic bosses? now wait wait, I know you will say none of these guys would be mario, however it would allow for a more versatile ref, and a more interesting addition to the roster, like what if we got Tubba Blubba, or Lord Crump, or Sir Grodus, or Para Karry(just imagine the mail based attack pun style attacks XD)? and then add in what if they did them in a cel-shaded or stylized model appearance? any one of these would offer a much more interesting ref and appearance and a chance to expand the roster with a character with a completely new style

Or Rawk Hawk, that would be the ultimate troll character XD

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

The problem with Paper Mario as a Smash character is that the actual combat abilities that he personally possesses are directly inspired by the Super Mario platformers.  The basic jump attack is obvious, and the hammer comes from Donkey Kong.  Everything else is an extension or a variation of those basic moves.  The Spin Jump is the Ground Pound, the Tornado Jump is the Spin Jump, etc.  The only abilities that don't fit this theme are things like the partners' attacks, the Star Spirit powers, the Crystal Star powers, and the Thing Stickers, none of which come from Mario himself.

I don't see what part of this is a problem, though. There's no reason why he can't toss Bombette or punt Koops in the same way Peach pulls out Toad. There's no reason he can't use a hammer or the ground pound just because regular Mario has had them in other games; they're still iconic Paper Mario abilities even if they aren't entirely unique to him, and it's not as if they'd overlap with Mario in Smash. And it's not like he can't use a Star Spirit or Crystal Star power for a final smash just because it's not "his" power, considering part of Olimar's final smash is leaving players to get munched by enemies, and Pit's is to call in a bunch of Paulenta's soldiers.

I don't see what part of this is a problem, though. There's no reason why he can't toss Bombette or punt Koops in the same way Peach pulls out Toad. There's no reason he can't use a hammer or the ground pound just because regular Mario has had them in other games; they're still iconic Paper Mario abilities even if they aren't entirely unique to him, and it's not as if they'd overlap with Mario in Smash. And it's not like he can't use a Star Spirit or Crystal Star power for a final smash just because it's not "his" power, considering part of Olimar's final smash is leaving players to get munched by enemies, and Pit's is to call in a bunch of Paulenta's soldiers.

The point isn't that Paper Mario isn't allowed to have these moves.

The point is that I don't think there should be a second, separate version of Mario when the majority of that version's moveset potential can be applied to the version that's already in the game.

The point isn't that Paper Mario isn't allowed to have these moves.

The point is that I don't think there should be a second, separate version of Mario when the majority of that version's moveset potential can be applied to the version that's already in the game.

But they won't be. Mario has his own moves; they might change a few but I figure he's pretty much solid. And the ground pound is the only move that really applies; regular Mario has used a hammer but it's not really part of his core identity, and the partners and star powers and stuff are purely Paper Mario's deal.
  • Thumbs Up 2

But they won't be. Mario has his own moves; they might change a few but I figure he's pretty much solid. And the ground pound is the only move that really applies; regular Mario has used a hammer but it's not really part of his core identity, and the partners and star powers and stuff are purely Paper Mario's deal.

Hey, it's not like I'm deluded into thinking that what I suggested before was likely in any way, I just don't like the idea of having a separate character who is literally an alternate version of a character who is already in the game.  I'm not terribly fond of Toon Link either in that regard, if I'm honest.  I would rather see the developers try to work more elements into the existing versions of characters, in some fashion, than to have them do extra versions of characters who represent specific branches of their series.

I will concede that's probably not a very practical stance, but that's how I feel on the matter.

Having said all of that, the hammer is something that has appeared in literally all of the Mario RPGs, and Mario is normal in the majority of them.  So I'm inclined to think it's at least somewhat reasonable to associate the hammer with Mario in general.