Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Why does everyone want this to be Super Mario Smash Bros.?!  Goddamn.

Paper Mario, Rosy, Bowser Jr...am I seriously the ONLY fucking person who thinks Mario is already represented enough?!

Like it or not, there ARE a limited number of character slots, and I would be really FUCKING happy if half of them weren't fucking third-rate Mario characters, or, >sarcastic gasp< yet ANOTHER incarnation of a character already in the game.  Yeah, Toon Link got it.  If I had my way, he wouldn't be.  I love the little guy to bits, but there are SO many Nintendo characters just sitting around twiddling their goddamn thumbs while fucking MARIO IN A TIE AND SLACKS JOINS THE BRAWLLLLLL!!!!

BEHOLD, THE ALL-NEW CHARACTER, PEACH WITH A DIFFERENT DRESS!

STARE IN AMAZEMENT AT SMALL BOWSER!

GAPE IN AWE AT MR. G&W BUT IT'S MARIO INSTEEEAAAAAD.

Oh yeah, there's also Isaac, the fucking psychic, Earth-elemental swordsman, Little Mac, the five-foot boxer who could K.O. Mike Tyson in his prime, and a purple dragon that's smarter than fucking Einstein, meaner than Hitler, and is probably eating your parents right now, but hey, forget those guys.  Let's just have more Mario.

I'm done.

Why does everyone want this to be Super Mario Smash Bros.?!

I blame the Mario series, for having likable characters that people want to see more of.

I mean, I'm on your side here, man, but people want to play as characters they enjoy. It's just another part of the video game world.

• Thumbs Up 5

Nah I'm actually kinda on board with Wario, I've been kinda blah in the past about the over saturation of Mario characters.

I get that it's Nintendo's prime mascot thing, and honestly a lot of them get to the point of branching off as their own sub series that one could argue that they're not technically "Mario" anymore, but when you see them all smooshed together on a roster screen (usually organized together even), it looks like "hey sure glad half of the character to choose from are from one universe =/" kinda deal. The thing is I actually wouldn't mind this, granted if it's not "taking slots" of other potential characters.

I do think some suggested would be redundant, like Roselina and Bowser Jr., but I guess Paper Mario could at least be completely different. Thing is not like that stops anything, since I still see Toon Link as a giant waste of potential to show off that Link in general has way more up his arsenal.

In the end I won't bitch too long if we wound up getting say, all 3 of those as characters, but I'd still always prefer a more wide spread approach at representing Nintendo's history, not just concentrating on Mario's enormous side cast.

Anyway, Little Mac better be a character. The idea of a "regular" fighter in this crazy mix up of brawlers seems super appealing, and would almost suit his role as an underdog like in his own games. Here's some pint-sized boxer kicking ass with nothing special up his sleeve compared to a fire-wielding plumber, ancient swordsman, space fox, electric rodent, energy gunning mercenary and so forth. How is that not awesome XD. Plus my god how satisfying would it be uppercutting someone off the screen into KO'd territory.

I'm not sure how one more character from the Mario franchise suddenly makes the game overloaded with Mario characters. Pokémon and Zelda both already have four reps, I think Mario can handle five. Mario already had five reps in Melee, what's the big deal about it now? Oh yeah, because we have one extra character that has virtually no ties to the Mario franchise beyond spin-off games. Right.

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst

*snip*

I agree with the sentiments, but were all the caps and underlines really necessary?  You could've easily expressed what you said without sounding so whiny.

• Thumbs Up 2

and a purple dragon that's smarter than fucking Einstein, meaner than Hitler, and is probably eating your parents right now

Sorry, Spyro is property of Activision now tongue.png

Out of a roster of 40 or so characters, 1 more slot is 2.5%. It may seem miniscule but as Wario said there probably are better things one can do with the slot, such as giving more representation to a franchise with less, or introducing a new franchise altogether. It stands to reason that if we want to include more universes, cutting or not expanding the already-big ones is the best option.

At the same time, however, it's understandable from a market perspective, as every business ultimately suffers from cash cow syndrome and has the sole concern of what will make more money.

Let us give Nintendo credit, however. 10% of the roster being their flagship franchise is a LOT better than what the All Stars series pulls off, giving about 1/3 (I believe) of the roster to Sonic characters? I think Smash Bros. feels more like a genuine crossover game and not "flagship franchise with a bunch of tagalongs pasted on" because of it. The title evokes the Mario games, but that doesn't mean it should become one.

Edited by Dogelvie

If Wario returns (and I'm pretty sure he will) I hope they get rid of his weird walking animations and some of his gross attacks. Don't just focus on his Warioware persona, what about the Warioland one? >< It's like Sakurai totally forgot that Wario had another popular series of platformers under his belt, not just a microgame collection!

• Thumbs Up 2

Five Mario characters in Melee is like, a quarter of the roster. Five in this game, assuming it has around 45 or 50, is a tenth. Hell, Mario actually lost reps from Melee to Brawl. One single character is not that big of a deal, because not every franchise is going to have five reps. Most are only going to have one or two, with some of the big names getting three or four. They're not "losing reps" by adding a single character. Adding Bowser Jr to the game isn't somehow stopping K. Rool and Little Mac from getting in. They aren't "wasting development time." Any character that the team thinks should get in will get in regardless of what other characters get in. If Sakurai thinks Ridley should be in the game then Ridley will eb in the game. If Sakurai doesn't think Ridley should be in the game then he isn't going to get in the game, and it has absolutely fucking nothing to do with what other characters got in. The only time a character will ever have an impact on another character's chances is if they're from the same franchise, and the only franchises that even have to worry about that are Mario and Donkey Kong.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd gladly exchange Diddy Kong for Rosalina if we have to make if even. I hate the little fucker in these games.

• Thumbs Up 2

Five Mario characters in Melee is like, a quarter of the roster. Five in this game, assuming it has around 45 or 50, is a tenth. Hell, Mario actually lost reps from Melee to Brawl. One single character is not that big of a deal, because not every franchise is going to have five reps. Most are only going to have one or two, with some of the big names getting three or four. They're not "losing reps" by adding a single character. Adding Bowser Jr to the game isn't somehow stopping K. Rool and Little Mac from getting in. They aren't "wasting development time." Any character that the team thinks should get in will get in regardless of what other characters get in. If Sakurai thinks Ridley should be in the game then Ridley will eb in the game. If Sakurai doesn't think Ridley should be in the game then he isn't going to get in the game, and it has absolutely fucking nothing to do with what other characters got in. The only time a character will ever have an impact on another character's chances is if they're from the same franchise, and the only franchises that even have to worry about that are Mario and Donkey Kong.

Didn't it say somewhere that this game's gonna have a smaller roster then brawl?

Why does everyone want this to be Super Mario Smash Bros.?!  Goddamn.

Yeah because considering maybe one more Mario character is turning it into Mario only.
  • Thumbs Up 4

Didn't it say somewhere that this game's gonna have a smaller roster then brawl?

No, that's people taking a quote out of context. All that was said was that adding characters isn't enough to keep the game fresh and justify making another game, not hat there are going to be less characters or that it'll have the exact same roster as Brawl. It needs something new to set it apart from the rest, not just "now you can play as this character!" In this case, the 3DS was what motivated Sakurai to make this game, as there hasn't been a portable Smash bros. game before. There's also the customization Sakurai's talked about, though we still have no idea how that will actually work.

Yeah because considering maybe one more Mario character is turning it into Mario only.

Pretty much everything I said condensed into one sentence

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst

My question with the whole Paper mario thing is why does it have to be Paper Mario? why couldnt we have another ref from the paper mario series, done in a special art style, with a unique moveset calls back ot the series? personaly I think Para Karry or Rawk Hawk could be amusing, but Sir grodus could be fun too, especialy if he could pull out minions and had charge moves that mimiced the players special moves

My question with the whole Paper mario thing is why does it have to be Paper Mario? why couldnt we have another ref from the paper mario series, done in a special art style, with a unique moveset calls back ot the series? personaly I think Para Karry or Rawk Hawk could be amusing, but Sir grodus could be fun too, especialy if he could pull out minions and had charge moves that mimiced the players special moves

Because Paper Mario represents everything about the series rather than a very small part of it like another character would. By choosing a single partner you're limiting everything to that single character. By choosing Paper Mario you can fit the entire series under that one character.

Because Paper Mario represents everything about the series rather than a very small part of it like another character would. By choosing a single partner you're limiting everything to that single character. By choosing Paper Mario you can fit the entire series under that one character.

A villian could represent it decently, but wait here's a thought, what about dooplis? now wait a minute, what if he could transform into several characters fromt he series for a different though in most cases slightly weakened moveset? add to that if he also turned into paper mario, then he would represent him too WITHOUT being mario himself, and then he could also be one of the partners, and a villian, kinda makes me think of Taskmaster from Ultimate MVC 3,he represents multiple characters and movesets without being any one of them, and we do have a precendent of tranforming characters like pokemon trainer and shiek

A villian could represent it decently, but wait here's a thought, what about dooplis? now wait a minute, what if he could transform into several characters fromt he series for a different though in most cases slightly weakened moveset? add to that if he also turned into paper mario, then he would represent him too WITHOUT being mario himself, and then he could also be one of the partners, and a villian, kinda makes me think of Taskmaster from Ultimate MVC 3,he represents multiple characters and movesets without being any one of them, and we do have a precendent of tranforming characters like pokemon trainer and shiek

Again, Doopliss is a minor character in the Paper Mario series.

And you would have people complaining "If Doopliss can transform into Paper Mario, then why couldn't we have just Paper Mario?", Transforming characters is not always the answer.

It would be like adding in Luigi, but not Mario. You need Mario since he's the main and far more recognizable character in the Mario series.

Again, Doopliss is a minor character in the Paper Mario series.

And you would have people complaining "If Doopliss can transform into Paper Mario, then why couldn't we have just Paper Mario?", Transforming characters is not always the answer.

It would be like adding in Luigi, but not Mario. You need Mario since he's the main and far more recognizable character in the Mario series.

But on the other hand, him turning into other characters would provide a more unique look at the spinoff and universe contained withing, and I am saying that mario could be an option, he could turn into three other characters, say Para Karry or some other ally, Rawk Hawk, and Sir Grodus, then Hook Tail as his final smash? you could have a extremely varied moveset, and an extremely wide representation than mario himself could give

But on the other hand, him turning into other characters would provide a more unique look at the spinoff and universe contained withing, and I am saying that mario could be an option, he could turn into three other characters, say Para Karry or some other ally, Rawk Hawk, and Sir Grodus, then Hook Tail as his final smash? you could have a extremely varied moveset, and an extremely wide representation than mario himself could give

It'd be Paper Mario or bust. They are going to put the lead role in the game if at all because they want it to be recognisable from boxart and such things, not obscure characters you won't understand unless you play the game. It's like the FE reps in Melee, Marth was the first Lord and Roy was The Lord for the most reccent game, sorta like how they put Sonic or Snake in Brawl and not Shadow or Raiden

I'd gladly exchange Diddy Kong for Rosalina if we have to make if even. I hate the little fucker in these games.

He's only in Brawl...and why replace a major character from one series for a minor character from another series? How is this a fair trade-off?

Gosh it's all just characters characters characters with you guys.  Like Pacman, I think Paper Mario would make a perfect stage rather than a character.  I mean the stage could literally be THE STAGE, and the scenery and props change (and occasionally fall down as hazards).  Everyone is paper flat too like in Flat Zone and Hanenbow.  The audience throws items at players, and the occasional bucket of course.

Galaxy stage looks gorgeous incidentally.  Not what I expected, but an area based on Good Egg Galaxy's first planetoid is certainly just as iconic as the Observatory and Faceship.

I still wonder why nintendo just have waluigi be in the warioware games and Daisy in luigi's game, instead of saving mario.

oh well. 

This was like 3 pages back but I just wanna point out that Daisy got captured once, back when she wasn't resident badass Princess.  Luigi's the man but he's had to be saved way more times than my home girl.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 9

After giving it some thought I kind of hope this game either doesn't get too many characters added in or they get rid of all star mode, seriously its annoying to go through that mode constantly especially since you have to face against the same fighters every time and this really wasn't helped in brawl since not only did it have a pretty large amount of characters, it was way more annoying to do it with  a character like zelda since unlike in melee, you have to do the thing twice just to get the sheik trophy (or vice versa) so if anything an improved all star mode (or just something better in general) would be nice.

It's not like the game forces you to play it or anything

Yeah, but its still kind of a nuisance and to be honest with you I do enjoy the mode but the huge amount of characters makes it pretty un-enjoyable at some point (also when you have no one else to play the game with you kind of need all the fun modes you can get out of it).