Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

f a person isn't going to enjoy the full range of stages or items (sure, eliminating the most bothersome is part of the beauty of customising each match, but eliminating them entirely is what I mean), they should probably play another game. Half the fun of Smash is how insane things can go when items get involved. They really mix up the match in that even a player with tons of skill can still lose. Yes, that pisses them off, but in my opinion, the greatest skill of all is adapting to any situation.

Those who do not adapt go extinct. Thus saith Darwin.

I shouldn't have to play another game because you do not enjoy the game in the same way that I and many other people do. In every Smash Bros. game I always start with all the items on and try out all of the stages multiple times. Then later on I stick to the stages I enjoy playing the most and turn off all or the vast majority of items.

One of the most frustrating aspects for me in any competitive game is the idea that someone with less skill can triumph over one with far more. It's not really something that I think should happen which is why gameplay mechanics such as random tripping are something I actively dislike. Adaptation is a skill but you can not adapt to literal randomness. That doesn't even make any sense.

How do we know the Yellow Devil isn't a boss for an Adventure Mode, or a even a new mode where you fight stage-specific bosses? That thing is way too big and has too much of a presence to be a stage hazard.

How do we know the Yellow Devil isn't a boss for an Adventure Mode, or a even a new mode where you fight stage-specific bosses?

Do we even know if bosses are going to return at all? I'm pretty sure they said they were stripping down the singleplayer mode so there won't be anything like subspace. Whether or not that means bosses will return I don't know, but personally I'm not expecting it. Pretty sure it's a hazard.

Hypothetically if he were a boss, he would be the only boss shown since release right? Something about that seems odd.

That thing is way too big and has too much of a presence to be a stage hazard.

Spear Pillar has some very big hazards. It's not unreasonable to expect Yellow Devil to drop in to wreck your shit every couple of minutes. 

Thats interesting.... I think it should be fun if it was a hazard. But that attack where he (it ? ) divides itself takes a bunch of space... Id prefer if hed only do that to transfer to the right side. Hopefully theres much more to the stage than just that platform. But otherwise that bit could get a little bit tedious... that is if its even a stage hazard, who knows? maybe its an adventure mode boss? or simply an assist trophy that Sakurai loves to put in that stage? XD

The size seems fair enough to me. That's about how much space you've got when you're actually fighting it in Megaman, after all.

Thats interesting.... I think it should be fun if it was a hazard. But that attack where he (it ? ) divides itself takes a bunch of space... Id prefer if hed only do that to transfer to the right side. Hopefully theres much more to the stage than just that platform. But otherwise that bit could get a little bit tedious... that is if its even a stage hazard, who knows? maybe its an adventure mode boss? or simply an assist trophy that Sakurai loves to put in that stage? XD

Their are smaller platforms that follow a path , sometimes disappearing and reappearing somewhere else on the screen.

Yeah I'm not sold on it being a stage hazard at all. I feel like it occupies too much space on the fighting area and is way to "busy" to be a stage hazard. I'm definitely on the boat that it's some sort of boss for something, wether an Adventure mode type thing, or maybe a new mode all together like Boss Rush or something. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Guys you do remember Norfair from last game right, with the lava that engulfed the entire stage every couple of minutes? And Donkey Kong, with the trampolines, fireguys, and DK himself? And others like Mario Kart, with the shy guys constantly driving through and around you, That Pokemon stage with the legendaries coming out and firing beams across half the stage/manipulating it, and even the Mario Bros stage with those annoying koopas and fireballs?

I don't see how it's so hard to believe Yellow Devil being a stage hazard when we've had much bigger, and odder hazards before.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Yellow Devil is nothing compared to the giant fish that swallows you up if you are in the water for even a second in Summit.

But Yellow Devil is still enormous; it literally takes up the entire main platform, with the only safe haven being the moving platforms on the left. If it is a stage hazard, which it likely is, then no matter how telegraphed its entry and attack pattern is, all fighting is going to stop so it can be removed just so players can have more ground to fight on. Shame.

The Yellow Devil is nothing compared to the giant fish that swallows you up if you are in the water for even a second in Summit.

But Yellow Devil is still enormous; it literally takes up the entire main platform, with the only safe haven being the moving platforms on the left. If it is a stage hazard, which it likely is, then no matter how telegraphed its entry and attack pattern is, all fighting is going to stop so it can be removed just so players can have more ground to fight on. Shame.

Or you can be a dick and KO the other players while running away from/fighting the Yellow Devil.

I hope you can actually interact with the yellow devil though. We did see Kirby riding on top of it in one pic

Not like he was riding it, Kirby is just positioned that way to make it look like he is riding the Yellow devil, but if kirby is riding it, this feature is abit too much to be in a regular match,

Boss hazards will make the match very interesting but hopefully we can turn it off, its good to have options.

But I do hope they have some Boss battle mode like they did with brawl, Beating every boss with every Character on intense difficulty was super fun and hard!

That would be very nice, but sadly he's probably not going to. Its a shame, Yellow Devil just looks like he gets in the way and it doesn't look very fun.

That would be very nice, but sadly he's probably not going to. Its a shame, Yellow Devil just looks like he gets in the way and it doesn't look very fun.

who knows, maybe he only pops up once or twice. He could also be one of those stage hazards that could be taken care of by hitting it pretty hard a few times.

who knows, maybe he only pops up once or twice. He could also be one of those stage hazards that could be taken care of by hitting it pretty hard a few times.

Theres probably going to be a 50/50 chance of him popping up in the level. Kinda like all the different Legendaries in Spear Pillar.

I'll never understand why people will still argue over whether stage hazards ruin the game or not when we could just all shout for them to put in a Stage Hazard toggle and then everyone's happy.

If they want to go one step further, could even make it so you can unlock "Tour Fix" toggle, when turned on, selecting a Tour stage brings up a menu of landing locations and stays at that location for the entire match.

Don't think there'd be any way to balance scrolling stages in this regard which never have any stopping points designed to be fought on within particular restrictions though.

I'll never understand why people will still argue over whether stage hazards ruin the game or not when we could just all shout for them to put in a Stage Hazard toggle and then everyone's happy.

If they want to go one step further, could even make it so you can unlock "Tour Fix" toggle, when turned on, selecting a Tour stage brings up a menu of landing locations and stays at that location for the entire match.

Don't think there'd be any way to balance scrolling stages in this regard which never have any stopping points designed to be fought on within particular restrictions though.

who knows, Brawl had so many modes and options maybe Ninty is running out of ideas. A stage hazard toggle switch or location selection doesn't seem too far-fetched 

Games like Mario Strikers Charged (Football) have switches to turn off stage events on their courts. I don't see why Smash Bros can't do the same. 

If Brawl had that kind of option, I wouldn't have taken so many stages off the random list. And it's not that I can't handle the random element or anything but some of the stage gimmicks were just flat out annoying

Doesn't the caption say that the players unite against the yellow devil?

That sounds sort of like a boss to me.

No, that's a reference to the Yellow Devil's ability to spilt itself into chunks which re-unite on the opposite side of the stage back in the same shape he started. You're kind of grasping at straws there.

All these complaints about stage hazards just make me wonder how many people here suffer from severe tunnel vision.

Sakurai specifically said that he won't add such a feature. It's fucking stupid, but that's what he said.

I generally don't mind stage hazards when they're scripted and don't punish the player too harshly, but Sakurai has a tendency to go overboard which is why I usually end up turning off the vast majority of Smash's bullshit.

I'm gonna have to agree with the people assuming that Yellow Devil is a stage hazard.  If its appearance was tied to a specific mode, I'm inclined to believe we would have heard about the mode before seeing one of its "exclusive" fights.

Having said that, the talk of adventure modes or boss rushes got me thinking.  Since it's already been said that they're not gonna go for another full blown Subspace Emissary type adventure, I've been thinking it would be best to go back to a Melee-style Adventure Mode, with series themed platforming stages and fights, ultimately leading up to a final boss.

The idea I had, that I think would be pretty cool and not entirely unreasonable, would be to have the final boss of Adventure Mode change depending on which character you're playing as.  Some of these bosses would be other playable characters, like Mario fighting Bowser, but there could also be characters (that aren't playable for whatever reason) who would be exclusive to boss fights like, hypothetically, Sonic fighting Eggman, or Mega Man fighting Wily.

The boss-exclusives could then be used for a Boss Rush mode on top of that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thats pretty neat G-Force : )  Your idea is awesome!!!  To be honest I never liked Melees Adventure mode TOO much, probably cause the backgrounds seemed so bland to me, plus Id rather have em be just platforming and fights, rather than different gimmicks, Zeldas stage was not fun at all from what I remember, but as long as the backgrounds look decent (Like subspace emmissarys) and the enemies are related to the series and avoid annoying gimmicks, it would be quite enjoyable. Im sure they can throw something else thatll make it all the more enjoyable.