Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

A deeper analysis by GameXplain of the Rosalina trailer.  It also covers some of the other elements in the trailer barring Rosalina and Luma themselves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y97iy2QpGSo

I also made my own considerably less professional analysis of the trailer though it only focuses on Rosalina and Luma.  It also offers some brief impressions up at the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lf3J3yi7hs

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone else find the GameXplain guy really hard to understand? He speaks way faster than he's able to do so clearly. Interesting video though.

• Thumbs Up 1

That was a pretty damn great video.

Does anyone else find the GameXplain guy really hard to understand? He speaks way faster than he's able to do so clearly. Interesting video though.

Yes, he really does. Surprisingly, he speaks more slowly than usual with this video, compared to other videos. XD

In one of the 3Dworld videos he just starts bookin' it....like he just suddenly sped up randomly when speaking.

15yjazq.jpg

Pic of the day. Rosalina's got height! She is seriously tall! However, she boasts an anti-gravity effect, so she's very light.

Rosie's confirmed to be a big, light target.

• Thumbs Up 7

The way she moves made her look light so I kinda figured- still she is a lot taller than I thought. 

Well, at least she isn't the size she was in at the end of Galaxy.

That'll probably be her final smash. XD

• Thumbs Up 3

Tall yet floaty? Mewtwo deconfirmed. tongue.png

3310lfn.jpg

So, you say I am wrong? That you are not this human's servant, you are her friend? You are pathetic as the rest.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's touches like making Rosalina very light (ala low gravity) or letting the Villager pick up just about anything that really makes me appreciate the efforts gone into the Smash series. The characters are always very true to who they are in their actual series, except now they're fighting.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's also pretty possible that luma colour is completely random, and serves no real purpose other than aesthetics. 

Yeah, I think there's a good chance of that, too. How many different commands would be necessary to summon specific Lumas? There's beige, red, green, yellow.... not to mention the amount of moves she'd have if every Luma had a different moveset. Granted, she looks pretty complicated already for a Smash Bros character, but I don't think they'd go that far.

It's touches like making Rosalina very light (ala low gravity) or letting the Villager pick up just about anything that really makes me appreciate the efforts gone into the Smash series. The characters are always very true to who they are in their actual series, except now they're fighting.

Except Captain Falcon, who is a serious no-nonsense kind of guy in his home series. But then again, this was in F-Zero GX, years after the first Smash Bros.

What if the Luma colour depends on damage it's taken, starts out yellow, goes red after taking damage and turns green when it's about to be destroyed/sent away?

I still think a Luma will have a special attribute that is decided by the color.

Pikmin all had different features ranging from health, power, grab distance, and immunity to certain moves, with each variance decided by color, all while still performing the same basic move. No reason why Lumas can't have the same level of features. Only difference between the two would be that the Lumas receive a wider pronouncement of their features at the expense of a higher level of commitment.

I'd like to see how Rosalina's height compares to Samus', Samus is supposed to be really damn tall (6'5" or something).

It's really cool that they made Rosalina tall though. Space goddesses n shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Slow, tall, light and floaty is never a good combination of attributes, especially since her recovery looks pretty poor (unless it has some kind of hitbox/armour/invincibility).  I'm going to guess that she's the kind of character that really has to focus on keeping her foes a good distance away from her because she won't be able to deal with pressure well at all.

I still think a Luma will have a special attribute that is decided by the color.

Pikmin all had different features ranging from health, power, grab distance, and immunity to certain moves, with each variance decided by color, all while still performing the same basic move. No reason why Lumas can't have the same level of features. Only difference between the two would be that the Lumas receive a wider pronouncement of their features at the expense of a higher level of commitment.

Yes, but Pikmin are from a game where they had unique properties to begin with. Forgive if I'm wrong but in their original incantation weren't the lumas all pretty much identical pickups? It's been ages since I've played Galaxy but I don't remember them having unique abilities at all. Or any abilities really.

So yeah. The reason the Pikmin are how they are is because they're replicating the source. The Lumas have nothing like that. It seems to me that it's unlikely that they'll play similar to the Pikmin just because the Pikmin have that feature.

The thing with the Luma is that

1.) Rosaline and Luma can be set far apart

2.) They can be controlled at the same time.

3.) There appears to be slight mirroring of moves, but they can also fight seperately.

But the Luma also very clearly doesn't appear to behave like any established characters, the Ice Climbers who are joined together by a tether mirror each other exactly 

I think Luma will work like other "puppet" characters that have been showing up in fighting games lately 

1:33: she summons the luma

1:35: She slaps the luma forward, it pauses before performing a special move

1:46: Whilst grabbed, she moves the luma to her to knock herself out of the grab

You can also note that the Luma mirrors what I presume is her UP+ B every time she does it.

People are drawing comparison to Olimar with unique Pikmin/Lumas- No way. The Luma seems to be just as much of a character as Rosalina. Giving them unique abilities would only needlessly complicate what looks like an already complex character.

Also, how would you get another Luma if you drew one you didn't want? The move that summons the luima appears to be the same one that relocates it to her. 

So basically I stand by my original assessment- she's a character type we haven't seem seen in SSB yet. A Puppeteer type fighter like Carl Clover. The Luma is just as much a character as she is. Hence "Rosalina and Luma" 

• Thumbs Up 1