Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Uh, it looks to me like Nintendo might be advertising X as the next big JRPG. This isn't like Xenoblade which was released late in the Wii's life and only shipped a couple of thousand (and sold that many btw), this looks like it's going to be a big deal. We can only hope that Nintendo markets the shit out of X.

I agree on this one, and while nintendo has been dropping the ball on some advertising, a large portion of the people who bought and praised Xenoblade chronicles are extremely likely to buy X ESPECIALY if it manages to surpass Xenoblade quality wise(and xenoblade had a higher than 90% average, which is pretty insane), if they do a wide release and proper marketing, X would be a major system seller, especialy to the JRPG crowd, perhaps even bringing in FF fans

Oh and what if they put an X or Xenoblade rep in smash? now THAT would be a smart peice of advertising... actualy I wouldnt be surprised if they did, I mean they did it with Kid Icarus, and we didnt even know that game was going to happen!

Oh and what if they put an X or Xenoblade rep in smash? now THAT would be a smart peice of advertising... actualy I wouldnt be surprised if they did

Shulk as a playable character or even as an assist trophy would be brilliant. In one way or another, it will serve as a good piece of advertising for X. I mentioned this on the Wii U topic: X can prove to be a huge seller on the Wii U if Monolith can deliver the quality seen in Xenoblade and market it as the next J-RPG everyone must play. Despite being a limited release, Xenoblade proved to Nintendo that they have got an audience where they can push their J-RPG franchises, so I expect 'em to give their 110% to make X successful.

Take Kirby and the Amazing Mirror.

All the worlds are different Nintendo universes.

A boss at the end of each world.

Secrets and hidden collectables (sometimes needing to play as a certain character to get certain items).

My dream.

The Amazing Mirror was a brilliant Kirby game, let alone quite lengthy for the standards of the series. Loved the many routes you could take, explore every inch of their levels and discover many secrets and collectables. Coming from the person who created the Kirby series, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai would pull something similar for the next Smash Brothers' Adventure mode.

The Amazing Mirror was a brilliant Kirby game, let alone quite lengthy for the standards of the series. Loved the many routes you could take, explore every inch of their levels and discover many secrets and collectables. Coming from the person who created the Kirby series, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai would pull something similar for the next Smash Brothers' Adventure mode.

Sakurai has yet to give any real representation to any Kirby game that he hasn't worked on for Smash Bros. barring only 3 exceptions.

I couldn't get into Amazing Mirror (or Great Cave Offensive) that much tbh, I don't like free-roaming platformers since the level design tends to lack focus.  If they did something like that I'd want an easy to understand map screen and some kind of failsafe so you don't ever end up going round in circles with no clue where to go (which is what caused me to quit Amazing Mirror on only like, the equivalent to the game's second "World".

I am definitely hopeful SSE-style bosses return if nothing else. I think they're capable of being loads more interesting than "Metal X" or "Giant X."

Heck, I know he's third party so not entirely probable, but a "vs. Metal Sonic" match where it's the actual Metal Sonic would be kind of neat, as just an example.

I think a good idea would be having multiple different ways to finish a stage with different stipulations for each method. Maybe one idea could be spending X amount of time in the Mushroom Kingdom being the different between having Bowser take over Peach's castle which would lead to a Bowser Battle and Airship stage or simply having a battle with Mario/Luigi/Yoshi/Peach/Rosalina and then going to the Comet observatory which could then leave to an F-Zero, Star-Fox, Kirby, Metroid, Mario Galaxy, or another space based series.

I am definitely hopeful SSE-style bosses return if nothing else. I think they're capable of being loads more interesting than "Metal X" or "Giant X."

Heck, I know he's third party so not entirely probable, but a "vs. Metal Sonic" match where it's the actual Metal Sonic would be kind of neat, as just an example.

While I would like for boss fights to have some place in the arcade ladder as opposed to being locked away in some campaign or boss rush, I have a pretty big problem with how they were handled in SSE. Namely, because they way they fight and the way they're fought are completely at odds with even the most basic of core gameplay mechanics Smash is built on. They're all completely unaffected by any kind of flinching or knockback and stand still for long periods of time before making scripted attacks, which not only lends the impression that all bosses are HP-sponge statues, it also creates a Playstation All Stars-esque paradox in which you're wailing on them constantly and don't really feel like you're doing any actual damage, health bars be damned.

Basically as long as it's more Giga Bowser than Master Hand it's okay in my book. Hell, being able to KO even Master Hand by ring-out would be quite a sight to see.

The thing that makes Master Hand fun is that you can read his attacks.  Even the first time you play, all his animations make it very clear what he is about to do, and all the animations are very clear cut.  The SSE bosses are really annoying to read and learn IMO.

That is something I have been thinking about a while ago about Smash Bosses. I like the Idea of them basically be like Normal Fighters, but Bigger, unfaffected by Knockback and Grabbing, and most/all their moves having KO potential

heck, that way you could even setup a UMvC3 type Galactus Mode, where you pick a Boss and have them face off against the Normal Fighters in a Classic/All star type-ish mode.

Yeah the boss battles in Brawl were really weak. I agree with the Giga Bowser comparison. That right there is a memorable boss fight, because it actually feels like you're fighting a monstrous opponent and gradually weakening them instead of going through the motions for ten minutes straight

• Thumbs Up 3

The thing that makes Master Hand fun is that you can read his attacks.  Even the first time you play, all his animations make it very clear what he is about to do, and all the animations are very clear cut.  The SSE bosses are really annoying to read and learn IMO.

The worst offender being Tabuu. I swear I did not know you had to press down and dodge whenever he does the beam wave attack until someone told me. ><

The worst offender being Tabuu. I swear I did not know you had to press down and dodge whenever he does the beam wave attack until someone told me. ><

Even then you have to dodge it THREE TIMES IN A ROW. Not to mention the fact that if you mess up and do it too slow or too fast you die.

Tabuu himself is just a complete enigma, too. Granted, I'm ok seeing a final boss other than Master Hand for a change, but Tabuu is basically a Giant Space Flee From Nowhere. I also dislike the fact that you don't find Ganondorf at all, and that Ganondorf is bowing down to another power. That's completely and totally uncharacteristic for Ganondorf. Granted, he shouldn't get any more significance that any other villain, but I didn't like how he basically seemed to worship the Master Hand. That's just OOC for him.

Minor complaints in the whole series of things, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah even after I knew what to do, Tabuu's insta-kill attack is impossible for me to dodge.  My utmost sympathies to those of you outside of EU, where you couldn't use a skip hammer on the beating Boss Battles on Intense challenge.

Ganondorf is bowing down to another power. That's completely and totally uncharacteristic for Ganondorf.

You mean... just like he did in OoT?

ganondorf-oot-3d-screenshot.jpg

For all you know, he could have been planning a power grab just like he was there, using outward loyalty to gain trust he could take advantage of.  Very well could have succeeded too, if not for Tabuu - out of all the villains in SSE it's clear he's the one with all the master plans, and by the looks of things everyone else from Wario to freakin' Bowser deferred to him.

I hate how when the bosses touches the player or an item they completely freeze which throws of your timing of dodging, the worst player for this case is Olimar. Throwing the pikmin at the bosses is probably the worst thing to do because the whenever the boss hits them because it freezes the bosses which makes your timing way off and then you die or take a lot of damage. Most of the times your Pikmin is right behind you due to using his moves which is hard not to because is whole move set needs to use pikmin.

Edit:

What move does sonic do to get in this position? I assume it was one of his air attacks but when playing as him in brawl just now, I couldn't match this pose with anything from brawl.

screen-6.jpg 

Double jump backwards compared to his initial jump's movement (i.e, for Mario he either does diagonal flip with double jumping forwards, or a quickly spinning backflip when jumping backwards).

I mean, that'd be my guess anyway.  Looks a bit too goofy to be part of his mid-air down+A kick.

Yeah even after I knew what to do, Tabuu's insta-kill attack is impossible for me to dodge.  My utmost sympathies to those of you outside of EU, where you couldn't use a skip hammer on the beating Boss Battles on Intense challenge.

Oh wow, you guys were able to use the skip hammer?  I eventually completed on Intense, but it was pretty frustrating to do this mode without taking much damage on the first 9 bosses, only to throw it all away with Tabuu.

Are there any other differences between the EU and other versions?

Oh wow, you guys were able to use the skip hammer?  I eventually completed on Intense, but it was pretty frustrating to do this mode without taking much damage on the first 9 bosses, only to throw it all away with Tabuu.

Are there any other differences between the EU and other versions?

Nothing gameplay-affecting aside from the hammer thing.  List of all the changes is here, but the other ones are all cosmetic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I managed to do it without the skip hammer, took months of training to do though, I'm nowhere near good enough to try that again!

No idea why the hell you guys even bothered with that awful boss rush mode full of awful bosses. Let alone on the hardest difficulty.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess i'm alone on this, even though the boss rush was a bit crazy on intense difficulty, but I kinda enjoy the challenge. Like right now i'm trying to complete intense mode with every character........it's a slow process. I'm about half way through the roster.

No idea why the hell you guys even bothered with that awful boss rush mode full of awful bosses. Let alone on the hardest difficulty.

For completion's sake. Beating Boss Battle on Intense gives a trophy to you.

Intense Boss Battles conditioned me to start spotdodging and flat out running away from attacks so I can reposition myself, instead of trying to shield the hit and inevitably eat a ton of shield damage, so I have it to thank for that.

For completion's sake. Beating Boss Battle on Intense gives a trophy to you.

Getting 100% in any Smash Bros. game gives you nothing interesting or substantial. It's not even really fun either so I find it pointless. I unlock the characters and stages (Maybe the music as well if we're talking Brawl) and then go back to having fun.

it's literally impossible as far as melee goes since some trophies were only given out at special events.