Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Oh, hey, Lucario's back! Awesome! He was one of my mains, and I'm gonna enjoy playing h-

>his aura has been powered up

... Oh, yes. Hopefully that means upping the amount of attack power he gets when he's got high damage, because that would be brutal.

Also, I don't think we've seen this stage yet:

screen-9.jpg

I'm pretty sure there isn't a Galaxy stage on the 3DS version, and this doesn't look like any game I've seen before, despite being vaugely familiar...

It looks like Rainbow Road to me, the floating star is a dead givaway

tumblr_lxejxub2UO1r9zabzo1_400.gif

I hope he actually gets a decent finisher this time. His Aura Sphere was decent but it was too slow to be accurate.

He better keep his down air, cause that little tapdance thing he did that keeps him in the air a little longer is pretty funny.

Once you get to a high enough % half his moveset becomes finishers...

I personally think it's cool to see Lucario back (though admittedly I am quite surprised he's returned).  He's one of those Pokemon that has enough popularity to remain relevant for a good length of time imo.  His Mega Evolution breathed a bit more life back into him, and he's still one of the most popular Pokes to use competitively.  He was also a pretty effective character in Brawl as well as a pretty unique one.

However, I have a few issues.  One is the aura system.  Yes it's a unique system, but it's a silly one imo.  You're essentially rewarded for taking damage as opposed to dealing it which to mean seems backasswards.  Now they chosen to exaggerate this even further so you're rewarded more for taking the same amount of damage relative to Brawl.  Not to mention Lucario was naturally quite a defensive character considering all the ridiculous disjoints his moves had.  I personally hope they still make him a more direct and involving character.

Also, a lot of his animations in Brawl lacked oomph for me.  Barring his DSmash most of his attacks looked kind of feeble.  I hope they push some of his attack animations further, or better yet make cool new attacks.  Oh and his run animation looked god awful in Brawl, that one really needs to change.

I guess I look forward to him with careful optimism.  Though hey, on a side note the UTaunt graphics in the pic of the day look wicked.

• Thumbs Up 1

M-maybe Mewtwo will be an unlockable character...

...as a Lucario clone...

...a-a-and Sakurai's not revealing him to make it a surprise...

...right?

...RIGHT?!

;A;

• Thumbs Up 4

My problem with this is less that Lucario got in before Mewtwo did (even if I'm not ruling the latter out yet) and more that Sakurai gave the aura system a fucking buff instead of removing it entirely. I want to main Lucario, but getting anything done with him seems to inevitably requiring sucking to some degree, which is so mind-numbingly counter-productive I'm surprised anyone at HAL even considered it to start with.

quote name="Shirou Emiya" post="825296" timestamp="1391155956"]Oh, hey, Lucario's back! Awesome! He was one of my mains, and I'm gonna enjoy playing h-

>his aura has been powered up

... Oh, yes. Hopefully that means upping the amount of attack power he gets when he's got high damage, because that would be brutal.

Also, I don't think we've seen this stage yet:

screen-9.jpg

I'm pretty sure there isn't a Galaxy stage on the 3DS version, and this doesn't look like any game I've seen before, despite being vaugely familiar...

That's MK7's Rainbow Road, it was already seen in severap screenshots already.

And where the heck are people thinking that Lucario's popularity decreased after gen 4, damn thing has always been popular whether it be in the games, competitive play, or the anime. Were people living under a rock or something?

• Thumbs Up 2

...am I the only one who still wants Jigglypuff back for consistency .w.

*runs*

You're not, Jigglypuff is back, no one is questioning the practically definite appearance of the original 12, which is probably why people aren't talking about her or the others.

The ones from Brawl cause more of a fuss because if anyone is being dropped, it's them. Lucario being in doesn't affect Jigglypuff's chances even a tiny bit.

• Thumbs Up 1

My problem with this is less that Lucario got in before Mewtwo did (even if I'm not ruling the latter out yet) and more that Sakurai gave the aura system a fucking buff instead of removing it entirely. I want to main Lucario, but getting anything done with him seems to inevitably requiring sucking to some degree, which is so mind-numbingly counter-productive I'm surprised anyone at HAL even considered it to start with.

All the italics in the world doesn't change the fact that you don't get it. 

It's not about sucking, it's about taking risks. Playing lucario at high percentage is a risk which is rewarded with extra damage. I don't consider taking damage sucking- inevitably everyone, no matter how good they are is going to take damage in a game of SSB. It's not sucking. it just happens.

I think the fun for a skilled player, when picking lucario is jumping into dangerous situations on high percentage and using your huge bonus damage to clean house. I would not consider the game giving you bonus damage up to 167% "requiring you to suck" I would more consider it "encouraging you to play like a psycho."

And seriously, if you can stay alive at high % that's like the opposite of sucking.

Risk/reward is pretty much the thread by which all good fighting games derive their fun from. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Lucario's back? Eh......I do like using him enough but he's not my main or anything. I just hope that Sakuari brings back Mewtwo as well.

Also, another random thought, does anyone feel that this game might actually end up being...disappointing? Like it seems we're gonna get barely any newcomers with all these Brawl characters coming back, and I knew it wasn't gonna be as big a jump as Melee to Brawl was, but now it seems disappointingly so. I hope E3 reveals or something turn my thinking around on that. I'm sure I'll still enjoy the heck out of the game either way as long as the fighting mechanics are there, but still.......

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh cool, a character I barely use is back…..

Why is he back? His stardom from Gen 4 is all but gone now. I hope this doesn't slim Mewtwo's chances.

it has been said again but I feel like adding my two cents too, His Stardom did not go away, at all.

Lucario has Major prominence in X/Y, and even before X/Y it remained a Populer Pokemon to use in Casual and Competetive play. Lucario is literally the only Pokemon (along with Mewtwo) that gets close to Pikachu's Popularity I would say.

It shouldn't seeing as X/Y Mewtwo was made into a big deal with a movie and special, while all X/Y Lucario got was a screenshot and an art pic. but there would be no point have 2 character with the exact same ablities in the game.

except....Mewtwo and Lucario play literally nothing alike, Mewtwo is Floaty and uses Psychic Attacks, like Confusion, Disable and so on, while Lucario is not Floaty and Relies on Physical Attacks and the Aura.

The Only things they have in common is that their Neutral B's are simliar and thats it. They're about as Simliar as Mario and Captain Falcon are.

• Thumbs Up 2

EDIT: Actually fuck this, I'm going to bed soon and this post is going to be buried before tomorrow. Maybe another time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am a little worried about it being disappointing but I'm always worried about Smash being disappointing. There's like no other game out there with expectations as high as Smash expectations, and I think Sakurai know that.

I'm worried about the music.. I'm worried there won't be many unlockables, I'm worried the stages will all be Battlefields or tour stages, I'm worried it won't be well balanced or competitive, I'm worried it won't see post-release balance patches even in severe situations, I'm worried that Lucario's Final Smash won't be Mega Lucario..

Most of those worries I had for Brawl too.

In the end, the hype is so hype that it's not worth worrying. We'll all enjoy the game anyway, even if we get a final roster leak that we hate at first because we think it's disappointing but it's actually pretty damn good (Brawl).

My personal view is that he plans to bring back majority of Brawl's cast, Mewtwo, and a few newcomers. I never expected more than 6/7 newcomers, the barrel is already scratchings.

• Thumbs Up 1

I ditto what everyone else is saying. He's totally gonna have his Mega Evolution as a final smash. Speaking of final smashes, I hope they're improved this time around. In Brawl, some of the ideas for it seems a bit... lazy.

• Thumbs Up 5

Brawl kinda covered all the bases when it came to newcomers so I expect them to dig a bit deeper this time around.

coughTHARJAcough

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what would be cool? If they had every old stage in the retro stages part. I mean, of course there are exceptions like Battlefield and Final Destination, but other than that what's stopping them? It'll just add more stuff to the game.

Though, I can't say I'd care to see New Pork City again.

Dang, still no sonic.

Not even ice climbers too.

I never thought lucario was coming back.

11 new pics for the night, and still no sight of Sonic.

That's...honestly kind of depressing and, dare I say, ominous? Lack of not even a glimpse of Sonic's nose for the past month and half makes it appear like Sora's trying to phase him out. It's hyperbole, sure, but a single pic would be enough to quell my apprehension.

If Sonic hasn't been around for a while then I'm wondering if he's getting his moveset altered.. or maybe even his model, since its slightly off compared to his recent "modern" design.

I would only be half-surprised if Sonic got the boot, since Lost World tanked so badly.

No one's saying a character can't be cut mid-development.

/GradeAPessimist

It's probably as simple as them having to get SEGA's approval on every single bit of pre-release material that features Sonic.  Mega Man doesn't appear crazy often either.  I'm not saying SEGA are really fussy and wouldn't let a goofy screenshot with humour at Sonic's expense be posted, but they probably still have to go through that communication every time a Sonic screenshot is used.

• Thumbs Up 3

WEll I just had a thought, perhaps this is a sign that the roster is going to be bigger than we imagined? just an idea mind you but perhaps

In a way I'm kind of surprised but also not surprised that Lucario returned because he was quite a unique character.  I mean yeah so was Mewtwo and he got replaced, but Mewtwo didn't have a "gimmick" like Lucario does with the Damage Taken Is Proportional To Damage Given dealio.

I'd still be surprised if Mewtwo didn't return again though, considering the relevancy to current gen.

I hope Mewtwo comes back, but either way I don't care. Lucario always had a more interesting moveset and a unique ability. He actually had somewhat useful side and down B attacks. And using items while playing Mewtwo always threw me off.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if they brought back everyone from Brawl, considering this game seems to be Brawl's engine with a new renderer, tweaks to physics/mechanics and similar animations (the first thing Sakurai's team did was port over Brawl's engine to the Wii U and 3DS for testing). Leaves more room for work on newcomers, returning fighters, and changes to existing characters rather than recreate a large chunk of the last game's cast from scratch. It's certainly what I'd do, why redo everything from scratch when you have access an entirely serviceable engine and existing roster that you can use and tweak?

I wouldn't be surprised if both versions were using the same codebases for mechanics, but different renderers and assets.