Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I personally wouldn't mind if jigglypuff came back (especially since im finally starting to get her playstyle in melee) but it would be cool to get a different pokemon instead. If I have to be honest here, at this point im a little more worried about the fighting mechanics than I am the characters, we already have plenty of good ones as is and knowing that most likely some would be reworked I wouldn't mind if we didn't get many and it would be good to have some fun with this game outside of unlocking the characters since that was about the only appeal brawl really had for me so hopefully this one won't be the same.

I'm upset about Lucario almost solely because so far this game just looks like it's gonna be a complete retread of Brawl's lineup with just a few extras. Which seems pretty boring, so yeah. :\

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm upset about Lucario almost solely because so far this game just looks like it's gonna be a complete retread of Brawl's lineup with just a few extras. Which seems pretty boring, so yeah. :\

My thoughts exactly. So far the roster is just shaping up to be Brawl 2 without very many new characters. I wont mind if they cut most of the clones that are just a waste of space but thats highly doubtful. I hope Falco, Rob, Marth 2 Ike and Lucas just don't return altogether. 

Would you guys be happier if less Brawl characters returned or something? I know you can't make everyone happy but removing characters usually just makes people sad.

The fact that most of Brawl's cast is returning doesn't mean there are less chances of new charas, it probably just means they were good choices and, given the choice of making a Smash roster from scratch, they'd probably choose them again.

• Thumbs Up 1

My thoughts exactly. So far the roster is just shaping up to be Brawl 2 without very many new characters. I wont mind if they cut most of the clones that are just a waste of space but thats highly doubtful. I hope Falco, Rob, Marth 2 Ike and Lucas just don't return altogether. 

The chances of Ike and Lucas returning are slim, considering they were placed in the game to promote the releases of the games they were in.

Falco seems likely considering he was in both Brawl and Melee, but I hope they don't bring him back. They did a good job of not making him a Fox clone in Brawl... almost. 

If Rob returns I'm quitting.

Anyway, which version are you guys aiming to get? I'm pretty much going to be forced to get the 3DS version, which bugs me because I've been set on the Wii U one since the announcement of the game. I thought I'd be able to afford a Wii U by now, but due to College stuff that's been.. yeah. The minimum wage is increasing to $11 here in June though, and tax return is coming up so maybe. 

I just hope the 3DS version has the entire roster and all of the stages. It would be a bummer if they left out a few or made exclusives to each version..

I personally wanted Zoroark or Greninja, though Lucario was one of my favorites is brawl so I ain't mad. If Mewtwo doesn't show up I won't miss him/her/it/that cat/science, never really liked how he was in melee but I don't exactly not want him to be here. So long as we don't get a joke character like Pichu I'm fine...though if we get any joke character at the very least make them awesome.

Ike wouldn't really return...no real point, But there's nothing really wrong with Lucas, why shouldn't he come back?

Ike wouldn't really return...no real point, But there's nothing really wrong with Lucas, why shouldn't he come back?

Lucas was simply a promotional character, placed in the game to promote Mother 3, which came out two yeas prior to the release of Brawl. It was only released in Japan. Seeing as how Mother is kind of dead now, I can't see them bringing back Lucas at all. 

Ness will probably be brought back considering he's a veteran... though as much as I love Mother/Earthbound, I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't bring him back

Though I can always dream about them adding Ninten sad.png

Lucas was simply a promotional character, placed in the game to promote Mother 3, which came out two yeas prior to the release of Brawl. It was only released in Japan. Seeing as how Mother is kind of dead now, I can't see them bringing back Lucas at all.

4 years actually, the game came out in 2004...Brawl came in 2008.

Lucas was meant to replace Ness but because of Sanic they had time to stick him in at last minute too.

Personally I think Ness is a bit more likeable and Lucas can just go awaaay.

The chances of Ike and Lucas returning are slim, considering they were placed in the game to promote the releases of the games they were in.

Falco seems likely considering he was in both Brawl and Melee, but I hope they don't bring him back. They did a good job of not making him a Fox clone in Brawl... almost. 

If Rob returns I'm quitting.

Anyway, which version are you guys aiming to get? I'm pretty much going to be forced to get the 3DS version, which bugs me because I've been set on the Wii U one since the announcement of the game. I thought I'd be able to afford a Wii U by now, but due to College stuff that's been.. yeah. The minimum wage is increasing to $11 here in June though, and tax return is coming up so maybe. 

I just hope the 3DS version has the entire roster and all of the stages. It would be a bummer if they left out a few or made exclusives to each version..

Nah, they made it a point of saying that both versions will be the same character wise and the stages on both versions will be different (trophies will probably be different too but im not sure).

4 years actually, the game came out in 2004...Brawl came in 2008.

Uh, Mother 3 came out in 2006 actually. It was released late into the GBA's lifespan. 

It's great to hear that the versions will be pretty much the same, though. I'm relieved..

Lucas was meant to replace Ness but because of Sanic they had time to stick him in at last minute too.

Personally I think Ness is a bit more likeable and Luca can just go awaaay.

Ness more likable...? Lucas has actual development as the story progresses...Ness is just a standard silent protagonist all the way through the game.

Also Sonic was the very last addition to Brawl, Ness was in way before that...the SSE story kinda brings that point home.

Uh, Mother 3 came out in 2006 actually. It was released late into the GBA's lifespan.

It's great to hear that the versions will be pretty much the same, though. I'm relieved..

Well...I should've known better.

There is no reason to cut anyone.

If there is time to bring back all the characters from Brawl and also add a decent amount of new characters, then why not do so? Plus, Sakurai hates making cuts. I don't think he's the kind of guy to look at character with a unique moveset, let's say Ike, and go "Nah, I don't want him any more". He has already stated that he's trying to add as many characters as he can.

http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-not-enough-time-to-bring-back-every-smash-bros-character/

"...I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character. So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it’s good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans.”

If a character is cut, it will probably be because of time constraints or some other form of issue, not because Sakurai doesn't want them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ness more likable...? Lucas has actual development as the story progresses...Ness is just a standard silent protagonist all the way through the game.

Agreed. Lucas has a TON of development compared to Ness, but you would have to play their games to understand that. You can't get a good feel of those two from the SSE, ESPECIALLY Lucas. He looks like a baby, but if you played Mother 3 you would understand why he is that way. I won't lie, I cried about five times when I played that game..

Ness is more likable because Mother 2/EB was the only release the series saw here in North America. He's more known than Lucas and Ninten.

And I understand your confusion of Mother 3's release date. Who would think a GBA game would be released in 2006?..

• Thumbs Up 1

And that's perfectly okay. I really recommend trying out the games though! 

I'd be happy if they stuck with Brawl's roster and just added to it. That would be pretty great. 

Except Rob.

Would you guys be happier if less Brawl characters returned or something? I know you can't make everyone happy but removing characters usually just makes people sad.

The fact that most of Brawl's cast is returning doesn't mean there are less chances of new charas, it probably just means they were good choices and, given the choice of making a Smash roster from scratch, they'd probably choose them again.

I would be happier if less of Brawl's cast returned, because their return does in fact mean there is a lesser chance of new characters. The more time they work on changing existing characters movesets/models/balance, the less time they have to work on new characters. This is shaping up to be Brawl HD, instead of what could have been a brilliant next installment in the series. I played a ton of Brawl, like over 200 hours, and I think Sakurai really needs to start busting out the big reveals if he wants me onboard this hype train.

Don't get me wrong, I'm getting this game, it's the reason I got a Wii U. I just want it to be the best it can be, instead of shamelessly leeching off of Brawl's stuff.

If Mewtwo gets in (as is very likely) I see him having the Mega Evolution gimmick over Lucario. Having two Pokémon with the same gimmick would be pretty boring and only enforce the "Lucario is a Mewtwo clone" thing.

Also I'd rather it be a regular transformation ratehr than his Final Smash. Transformation Final Smashers are boring, at least when it's a Warioman compared to a Giga Bowser. Mega Mewtwo would be different from Sheik in that instead of making him a completely different character, it adjusts his attributes. So Mega Mewtwo is faster and lighter than regular Mewtwo, but is also a lot weaker. Maybe it should be mapped to a taunt instead of a special move, though.

I really don't know why everyone's so damn set on ROB getting removed. He has an original moveset, and was the "WTF" character of Brawl, along with adding in some "retro". I quite enjoyed playing as him.

Like, if you don't like ROB, that's fine, but there is literally no reason he would or should be taken out.

I'm happy to see Lucario again. I don't think he decreases Mewtwo's chances at all either.

But PLEASE get rid of Jigglypuff and put in Meowth, the rightful holder of that spot! 

• Thumbs Up 5

No veterans are getting "cut," at least in the sense that there was a conscious decision to remove them. There will inevitably be unfinished characters that they simply couldn't get into the game without sacrificing some other character due to time constraints, but those decisions will be made when the game is in its final stretch and they have a clear idea of how much they can get done within that amount of time.

Honestly I really hope they bring back any cut veterans as DLC. I can understand why they wouldn't want to include any major newcomers as DLC, nut when you've got a half-finished character sitting around who probably lots of people were hoping to return there's no reason why they shouldn't try to add those characters in at a later date.

Rob is boring. I'm sorry, his move set is better than some characters but I get no joy playing as him.

I'm kinda concerned about this being brawl 2 ever since toon link was revealed. And the characters I think will probably get the boot is lucas, ike, ROB, snake.

But its also possible he tryna show off most of the veterans first than the newcomers.

Plus I'm getting both versions of this game whenever It comes out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really don't know why everyone's so damn set on ROB getting removed. He has an original moveset, and was the "WTF" character of Brawl, along with adding in some "retro".

I agree! Rob isn't my favourite character to play as but he was a unique addition to the roster and is important because of his history attached to Nintendo, just like G&W! In fact it makes me wonder what the next WTF addition to SSB4's roster will be.

Anyway characters who will most likely not return are Ike, Lucas and Snake. Maybe Falco or Wolf will also be scrapped.

I agree! Rob isn't my favourite character to play as but he was a unique addition to the roster and is important because of his history attached to Nintendo, just like G&W! In fact it makes me wonder what the next WTF addition to SSB4's roster will be.

It was Wii fit trainer, the best looking WTF character as it looks to me.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wow, two of the three characters I was sure would get cut are back in as of now. The three characters were Toon Link, Lucario, and ROB. Guess anything is possible now.

Whatever, just give me Palutena already, please. =(