Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

So temporarily saves you from getting launch of the stage? But you trip instead? I probably got that wrong

We're just discussing possibilities.

All we know is that it will heal more than 100% damage.

It won't happen but it'd be insane if it instantly saves you from a fatal blow. Like instead of sending you flying to your death off the screen, you'd collapse for a second or two as a fairy revolves around you real fast, so like a second wind of some sorts *shrugs*

Having insanely OP items is part of Smash Bros and I respect that, but having one that is essentially a passive extra life sounds incredibly obnoxious.

The only way I could imagine it working is if it was like, when you reach 300%, if you're still alive the fairy comes out and it reduces you back down to 100% maybe.  But that feels... overly complex and delayed somehow for a Smash Bros item.  Dunno.

I thought that was evident with Little Mac barely being over Olimar in height, and Dedede being one of the largest, widest, heaviest characters. :V

^ lol true. Though admittedly, Little Mac is supposed to be tiny because he was like that in the Punch Out games too, ^^

Anyway, since I forgot to comment on the Fairy bottle just wanted to say that it looks like an interesting healing item! It would be ultimate trolling if someone threw that off the stage.

I thought that was evident with Little Mac barely being over Olimar in height, and Dedede being one of the largest, widest, heaviest characters. :V

^ lol true. Though admittedly, Little Mac is supposed to be tiny because he was like that in the Punch Out games too, ^^

Anyway, since I forgot to comment on the Fairy bottle just wanted to say that it looks like an interesting healing item! It would be ultimate trolling if someone threw that off the stage.

Little Mac is supposed to be small, I think its more of the fact that Olimar is WAY too big. Little Mac is about the right size.

And this makes Ridley all the more credible to appear; Ridley always shifts size in the Metroid games anyway.

I always felt that Ridley hasn't been playable because he just has so many bones to work with. Larger characters like Bowser, DK, and DDD are rather rotund in body build, so it's straightforward to program a general oval shape, and have the bones stick out slightly for attacks, turning round, etc.

But Ridley is rather lanky, with a long tail, jagged legs, and two large twigs for a neck, all of which are spread out thanks to Ridley's wide posture. If the developers want to keep true to Ridley's stature, then regardless of his size, he's gonna be difficult to program attacks, grabs, hurt animations, rolls, all kinds of playable-character stuff without running into overlap of the bones and other graphical errors.

Unless I'm getting the bones concept completely wrong, in which case, I still cite lankiness as an issue, just to a smaller degree.

• Thumbs Up 2

If anything it's the exact opposite. Ridley's lanky thin body structure is less prove to clipping. The quantity of bones more is an issue for animating him. He's essentially Zard but harder.

Ridley could be done, but he definitely wouldn't be easy to make look right. I'm sure they could make him look an appropriate size, and I don't believe clipping would be an issue overall, but his aforementioned proportions are a hurdle. He's so lanky that shrinking his head and wings so that they're not too large could result in his neck or legs looking way too small, provided they didn't make really clever adjustments. As Bubblebeam mentioned, it's more straightforward to do this with characters who have more basic shapes. 

There's also the problem with how he animates. Every single concept of him in Smash I've seen has him hunched over with his wings drawn in and his tail curled up behind him. This may be fine for an idle pose but not for an actual game where he'll be cycling through dozens upon dozens of animations. 

So while the character could definitely fit if the dev team worked their magic, you can't really equate it to Olimar or Bowser's situations. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It would be rather tricky, this coming from someone who dabbles in modeling, rigging and animating, however its definately far from impossible, though I think what would end up being the optimun solution is that if he does showup as playable, he is going to be the smash version, not the current version, so they could pull pieces of the design from EVERY appearance, which makes thing a lot more fleible, as they could take his base from his original NES design, then incorporate elements from every other design(including the cyborg ones), and get both a diverse moveset and a more fitting character

But hey, those are jjust my thoughts

While it's still dull as heck (probably won't be once we know some more details) it now has some noticeable upgrades, it's looking better!

Compare:

pROhooj.png

vs

nintendogs3ds_zps652e578e.png

Okay maybe my screen of the first trailer is blurry, but still now it's brighter, looks cleaner (compare the dog model and the rug) and maybe it's not so jaggy? plus the items have more detail in them, check the cubes.  It's not too much, but it's still an improvement! I'd actually play in it.

Also I must be forgetting things or seeing things, but did we see Samus's new down-B bombs already (the new model) ? 

screen-7.jpg

EDIT: We have.

Incidentally, since I'm feeling a little guilty about my last post practically being image-only, I'll note that it seems to me they could simply give Ridley a design overhaul rather than trying too hard to fit in a model that wouldn't work.  I don't know much about Ridley but some kind of composite tailor-made to being a playable Smash character, as Mando suggests, seems pretty sensible.  Alter his proportions and posture to be less splayed-out.

Heh, but ya, only reason that Ridley has not shown up is due to time limitations, and sakurai's decission to not put him, SSB4 might be the time he finally makes the cut, and oh yeah, here is a neat size comparison chart that I got pointed tothat shows that he could work well size wise, while still looking intimidating

9tv4ViC.png

Though I am extremely curious to the tweaks and what elements from the various incarnations sakurai would decide to integrate in a playable ridley(also it would be awesome if roboridley was an alternate skin!)

• Thumbs Up 2

Heh, but ya, only reason that Ridley has not shown up is due to time limitations, and sakurai's decission to not put him, SSB4 might be the time he finally makes the cut, and oh yeah, here is a neat size comparison chart that shows that he could work well size wise, while still looking intimidating

9tv4ViC.png

Though I am extremely curious to the tweaks and what elements from the various incarnations sakurai would decide to integrate in a playable ridley(also it would be awesome if roboridley was an alternate skin!)

I am sorry, but that can't work. Ridley is just too big, especially in that picture.

JUST KIDDING!

Well, I personally would not mind if Ridley looked like that, especially even in that picture.

Daily Smash

daily.jpg

"Pic of the day. As shown in Little Mac's debut video, here is the height difference between Samus and Little Mac. He's used those mighty green gloves to punch out many challengers bigger than himself."

• Thumbs Up 1

Around six, seven feet, maybe? For a long time, Samus has been depicted as being rather tall and well-built, Mac is actually fairly on par with more average-height humans like Link and Marth.

You know what needs to be a stage in Smash4?

34002-super-smash-bros-nintendo-64-scree

This place. Right here.

If we can do small-scale levels then I want this. Would be the actual biggest throwback. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Little Mac is 5' 7", so just how tall is Samus? She's, like, two heads taller than he is!

Samus is above average in height and her suit makes her slightly taller still.  Mac's in a pretty wide stance in that picture, though.  

And I'm am really looking forward to little mac. It seems like he's focused more heavily on the unrecoverable KOs rather than any sort of gimping.  I also suspect he might be one of those characters where they can set better home run challenge scores off one of their moves rather than the bat.