Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

No, he and the other Kremlings are owned by Nintendo. They've appeared in a TON of Paon's DK games like Jungle Climber and Mario sports games like Strikers and Super Sluggers. All of which were post Rare buyout.

Doesn't King K. Rool still belong to Rareware? If so, he's not going to be in the next Smash Bros.

K. Rool has appeared in multiple post-Rare games, and it makes no sense for Rare to keep the rights to the Kremlings when all the Kongs are still owned by Nintendo.

On another note, Diddy's weapons are still based on DK64 and not DKCR. Hopefully the same applies to K. Rool and they use his original design instead of the dreadful Paon design.

K. Rool has appeared in multiple post-Rare games, and it makes no sense for Rare to keep the rights to the Kremlings when all the Kongs are still owned by Nintendo.

Well Square Enix kept the rights to Geno didn't they? Though if K. Rool appeared in multiple post-Rare games, I suppose he must be owned by Nintendo.

He has no scales, no tail, no golden stomach and his bloodshot eye is much less prominent. He looks less like a Rare villain and more like Generic Mario Character #7. Maybe "dreadful" was an exaggeration, but it really doesn't compare with his Rare design.

b3bcDlU.png

This fan-made render is more or less how I envision K. Rool in Smash. Maybe fiddle about with the proportions and give his face a bit more personality and it's pretty much perfect.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've never really liked his eye being so large and pushed out, I think it was the TV show that did me in because it was REALLY pushed out of there and kinda freaky.

I love it. He looks delightfully insane, which is pretty much his thing.

I'm wondering how much he'd draw from each personification, though. The majority of his moveset would probably be based off of the King and the Kaptain, since they hail from arguably the two most popular DKC games (in the same way that Mega Man mostly draws from Mega Man 2), but I can see him having a few Smash attacks based off of Krusha and maybe the Baron's jetpack as his recovery.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tropical Freeze really doesn't affect K. Rool's chances at all, though. Sakurai doesn't care about "relevance." Little Mac and Mega Man are both "irrelevant" to modern gaming, but they were still included because they were popular and unique characters. The only thing Dixie has over K. Rool at all is having appeared in one game that may have been revealed too late to even mean anything in the first place.

I disagree with the notion of Sakurai "not caring about relevance." Little Mac and Mega Man have huge history with Nintendo, and, more importantly, they are the stars of their respective IP. Sakurai doesn't hesitate to add new IP's regardless of CURRENT relevance as long as they've been relevant in the past. I've never seen Sakurai add in characters that weren't relevant to the respective franchise, though.

He even replaced Young Link with Toon Link, whom was more relevant at the time (despite the fact that we shouldn't have two versions of the same character PERIOD), as well as Roy with Ike, again, Ike being more relevant at the time. People even keep speculating that Ike will be replaced (and personally, at this point I don't think he will).

Dixie has also been getting a ton of appearances in the past few years after she was gone for about ten years or so after Dixie's Double Trouble. She is one of the core main cast members and despite a brief disappearance in Returns she was brought back again in Tropical Freeze. K. Rool has appeared since Rare left, but his roles have been greatly diminished.

I'm not saying K. Rool won't make it in, personally I wouldn't mind either way. If we get Dixie, we've got a new great female character with loads of potential and with K. Rool, we've got a great new villain with loads of potential. I do think that Dixie's chances are way higher than K. Rool, though, even if you don't agree with me on the "relevance" part, because popularity also does play a role in it, and Dixie is very popular as well (probably moreso than K. Rool).

If we even GET a third DK character, I think Dixie is the more likely choice. But again, either way is fine by me and there's no guarantee we'll even get a third one.

FYI: The relevance aspect doesn't apply to certain franchises such as Pokemon, because there really aren't any Pokemon more relevant than others. Pokemon become more relevant primarily due to popularity as is anyway.

He looks perfect to me!

Continuing that King K. Rool topic, I personally don't care what design they go with just as long as he makes some sort of appearance. Doesn't matter if he's an assist trophy or a playable character (unlikely although I'd like to be proven wrong) I just want him to show up on the battle field.

Well I'm glad he's back, not that I play that much with him. But still good to see him back!

Also what is the possibility that we'll get a DKCR / DKCRTF assist? be it the Tiki Tribe or the Snomads? I wouldn't mind.

Tiki Tong could possibly end up being a boss, though I can't imagine it being much more than a reskin of master Hand and Crazy Hand to be honest

Well Square Enix kept the rights to Geno didn't they? Though if K. Rool appeared in multiple post-Rare games, I suppose he must be owned by Nintendo.

Square Enix created Geno and any other original character in Super Mario RPG(Mallow, etc.), Rare didn't create any of the DK series characters, so they don't have the rights to them, Or even if they did , the DKC series; Characters and all still belong to Nintendo. That's how this stuff usually works.

So, Diddy Kong is in the new game. Alright! He was a good fighter in Brawl, though I did not main him, but still. I know it is probably unlikely, but I'd also like to see King K. Rool be a newcomer to the game.

Square Enix created Geno and any other original character in Super Mario RPG(Mallow, etc.), Rare didn't create any of the DK series characters, so they don't have the rights to them.

It was my understanding that K. Rool and his minions were creations of Rareware, considering the first game they appeared in was developed by Rareware. Which is why I made the comparison.

That's how this stuff works.

No need to be so condescending, buddy.

It was my understanding that K. Rool and his minions were creations of Rareware, considering the first game they appeared in was developed by Rareware. Which is why I made the comparison.

No need to be so condescending, buddy.

Well the comparison is a Spin-off game to an entire series though.

Sorry to be that way, its more of an automatic thing for me to put at the end of explanations. No intention of being rude here.

Well the comparison is a Spin-off game to an entire series though.

That's a good point, considering some of the examples in this thread I'm now sure K. Rool is Nintendo property. I only meant to acknowledge a possible reason for his absence thus far.

Sorry to be that way, its more of an automatic thing for me to put at the end of explanations. No intention of being rude here.

No hard feelings :)

Well, since we have nothing else to talk about, I am gonna post another Alfonzo picture.

Just kidding!

On a more serious note, I have something to talk about. We know that E3 is just four months away, even though that means it is not time yet. It is likely that the new Smash Bros will not be released by then. We'll probably get some big news by then, and more characters. Now...

What characters do you think/hope they'll reveal for the new Smash Bros at E3?

Probably a load of veterans and two or three newcomers. Something that will drum up hype for the game. K. Rool, Palutena, Mewtwo and Ridley are the most popular character choices and probably the ones that would have the biggest reactions, outside of an unexpected character that nobody sees coming, a la Rosalina.

Probably a load of veterans and two or three newcomers. Something that will drum up hype for the game. K. Rool, Palutena, Mewtwo and Ridley are the most popular character choices and probably the ones that would have the biggest reactions, outside of an unexpected character that nobody sees coming, a la Rosalina.

Other than Rosalina, we haven't seen any newcomers from an existing franchise yet. I think that, if they show off any characters... they'll show off new franchises they've added FIRST.

I'm really thinking we'll see Isaac, Shulk, and an Advance Wars rep. If K. Rool, Palutena, Mewtwo, and Ridley are in the game, I think they'd be unlockable, and therefore, not shown off before the game is released. (The only exceptions are third-parties; in Brawl both Sonic and Snake were announced early on but had to be unlocked.)

I still think K. Rool has less of a chance of appearing than Dixie, but if a new DK character is added it will probably be one of them.

Well, since we have nothing else to talk about, I am gonna post another Alfonzo picture.

Just kidding!

On a more serious note, I have something to talk about. We know that E3 is just four months away, even though that means it is not time yet. It is likely that the new Smash Bros will not be released by then. We'll probably get some big news by then, and more characters. Now...

What characters do you think/hope they'll reveal for the new Smash Bros at E3?

There's the list of characters I mentioned above (Golden Sun rep, probably Isaac; Shulk; Advance Wars rep: unless one of them is unlockable). I also think they'll show off Wario, Yoshi, and a Fire Emblem character (either Ike or a newcomer; I do NOT think they'll remove Ike but he made be turned into an unlockable). Ness and Captain Falcon are possible; I think they were starters in Brawl.

If another third-party character is in the game, he/she would be revealed at E3 mostlikely. I can't imagine another third party character being anyone other than Pac-Man, but one other good suggestion I've heard is Rayman. One other possibility that's SLIGHTLY likely is Lloyd Irving; I dismissed this notion before, but the Tales series is one of Namco's flagship franchises. More specifically, Lloyd himself has had far more important recurring roles on Nintendo consoles and is quite popular.

Pac-Man, despite being the mascot, hasn't had as much influence specifically from Nintendo and isn't a popular choice from what I've seen. (eah, Pac-Man has definitely had more games on Nintendo consoles than Lloyd, but he's shared them all equally with other consoles; Lloyd's original games were Nintendo exclusives until the revamps and he even was a guest in Soul Calibur Legends. Lloyd is more specifically seen as being a Nintendo-appearing Tales character due to this and maybe if Nintendo is working closely with Namco, they might even get Namco to at least released a Digital version of Symphonia Chronicles on Wii U as further promotion for Lloyd if they chose him instead of Pac-Man.

At this point I don't even think we'll get another third-party rep, but again, if we do, they'll be revealed at E3.