Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I kinda wish waluigi did something else though.

Oh well waluigi still looks good in HD.

What is luigi doing? Is he in the middle of crouching down? Or doing his strong down attack

Rosalina at least appeared in main series games, Waluigi just came out of nowhere for Wario to have a partner in the Mario Spin-off games, he really has nothing going for him as it is.

That and theirs enough Mario reps as it is.

But hey, he's in Mario Kart 8, so it's not like Nintendo completely hates him.

Waluigi did come out of nowhere, and its a shame. He could have potential if they actually TRIED to do something about him.

That said, potential potential means nothing if he's not giving something to actually do. He SHOULD appear in other main series games, perhaps in both the Luigi and Wario spinoff series'. He should not be playable in Smash Bros., though.

I'm pretty sure most people want Waluigi in an ironic way.  I doubt anyone but the most hardcore fans are genuinely upset he's not playable.  It's just such a funny idea to imagine him being playable because fanon so consistently makes him out to be a god-tier maniac of awesomeness while also being just a tiny bit creepy in an entertaining way.

It's kind of a joke everyone's in on, don't assume every person posting disappointment is being entirely serious when it comes to a character like Waluigi.

Fanon probably makes him out to be that way because Nintendo doesn't ever want to seem to do anything with him. He's the only character nowadays that constantly appears in party/sports games who DEBUTED in a party/sports game. Well, other than perhaps Baby Daisy (though she's only appeared in two games).

Still curious who they might announce to be returning in March. Also still anticipating Isaac for April. :D

Honestly I kinda doubt Isaac will be announced in April whether he's in or not, but I can dream.

Well, time to scratch Waluigi off of my Top 5 list.

1) Mega Man

2) Little Mac

3) Waluigi

4) Chibi-Robo

5) Mach Rider

A little bummed about not being able to play as The Lord of Wa, but I've got two of my five most wanted characters, which makes me more than satisfied.

Though, one more wouldn't hurt...

Pfft, you guys and your waluigi. Guy like me wants toadette in, only she would be the best character to put in and everyone knows it :)

People are complaining that Waluigi, a character with no real personality and has never appeared canonically in any mainstream Mario game whatsoever, is unplayable? Its to be EXPECTED. We already have more than enough Mario reps as is. If anything unless Waluigi is updated to appear in future WarioWare games, he's not going to ever be playable in Smash Bros. He's too obscure of a character.

That said, I LIKE Waluigi. But he doesn't deserve to be playable in Smash Bros. Simple as that.

"...no real personality..." = False!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty sure most people want Waluigi in an ironic way.  I doubt anyone but the most hardcore fans are genuinely upset he's not playable.  It's just such a funny idea to imagine him being playable because fanon so consistently makes him out to be a god-tier maniac of awesomeness while also being just a tiny bit creepy in an entertaining way.

It's kind of a joke everyone's in on, don't assume every person posting disappointment is being entirely serious when it comes to a character like Waluigi.

Shhhhhhhh. Quiet, you. 

Basically this, although I genuinely think that if they wanted to create a character who represented Mario sports games and spin-offs, he's the perfect choice. He was born into those, and appears in almost all of them post-Mario Tennis. 

People are complaining that Waluigi, a character with no real personality and has never appeared canonically in any mainstream Mario game whatsoever, is unplayable? Its to be EXPECTED. We already have more than enough Mario reps as is. If anything unless Waluigi is updated to appear in future WarioWare games, he's not going to ever be playable in Smash Bros. He's too obscure of a character.

That said, I LIKE Waluigi. But he doesn't deserve to be playable in Smash Bros. Simple as that.

I agree that everyone should've expected it. I knew he had no chance, and it's true that he's relatively obscure, but "no real personality"? Compared to who?

I don't really think Sakurai was taking a jab at the Waluigi fans specifically so much as warning people not to get too attached to the characters they want in the game. Especially characters who never really had much of a chance in the first place

200px-Geno_SMRPG.gif

*Cough*

• Thumbs Up 9

I don't really think Sakurai was taking a jab at the Waluigi fans specifically so much as warning people not to get too attached to the characters they want in the game. Especially characters who never really had much of a chance in the first place

200px-Geno_SMRPG.gif

*Cough*

Well Geno had pretty much 0% chance to begin with...a character like Waluigi only really has a chance if Sakurai actually wanted to represent Mario Spin-offs in someway besides Peach's regular Smash attack.

Ridley *cough cough*

Actualy Ridley is just a matter of time and development, he has been in the same zone Little Mac has been since Smash one: Deserving, and fitting, but simply waiting for the right moment to be introduced

A better example for your arguement would proably be Shadow or Bass or any number of Kid Icarus Uprising characters

Also I see Issac as another that is simply waiting for the right oppurtunity, and has a high oppurtunity

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry

I can't see Ridley in.

But if he is, congrats to ridley fans. I certainty won't hate it if he's in.

Its just that the pyrosphere stage reveal pretty much convinced me ridley is going to be some boss hazard. He could appear at any time sakurai said. Same with the yellow devil, I think.

But its not confirmed yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sorry

I can't see Ridley in.

But if he is, congrats to ridley fans. I certainty won't hate it if he's in.

Its just that the pyrosphere stage reveal pretty much convinced me ridley is going to be some boss hazard. He could appear at any time sakurai said. Same with the yellow devil, I think.

But its not confirmed yet.

It could always be the lava monster, or perhaps the giant guy from super metroid that you dump in the acid lava, there are a LOT of possibilities, and that statement could easily be a red herring

Also, the fact is that we havent seen anything yet which is a GOOD sign, since if Sakurai really wanted to calm the rumors and he was just a boss we could have seen him long before now, the fact that he hasnt seen him yet speaks to me that he is still being developed which means he could EASILY be in development as a playable character

But hey we just have to wait and see

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry

Its just that the pyrosphere stage reveal pretty much convinced me ridley is going to be some boss hazard.

Hey now, Alfonzo could always take his place if that's the case.

...no, I will not make an image macro for that.

• Thumbs Up 6

That is true though,

Pyrosphrere is the only level we know that has a boss and we haven't seen it yet. We know yellow devil and the green monster in 3ds mii stage.

But that could be not ready to reveal.

There are a lot of mystery pics he shown and one of the early one he shown was the Wii fit trainer with some solar power at her chest. An item? Her move? For some reason I keep thinking about that pic :P

Hey now, Alfonzo could always take his place if that's the case.

...no, I will not make an image macro for that.

That's right I forgot the big man Alfonzo

Lol this joke.

What happens when Alfonzo joins the battle?

"...no real personality..." = False!!!

Not so. Waluigi HAS no personality, because he's never really been GIVEN one. He's never appeared in a canon Mario game, Waluigi's personality is based on fan speculation. It changes based on his vague portrayals from game to game. I'm not saying that he can't be given one... the problem is, he LITERALLY doesn't have one. Why else would fans have to CREATE a personality for him?

Not so. Waluigi HAS no personality, because he's never really been GIVEN one. He's never appeared in a canon Mario game, Waluigi's personality is based on fan speculation. It changes based on his vague portrayals from game to game. I'm not saying that he can't be given one... the problem is, he LITERALLY doesn't have one. Why else would fans have to CREATE a personality for him?

Appearing in a main title Mario game doesn't mean jack about the personality of a Mario character, in actuality character's like Mario and Peach show more personality in Spin-off titles than they ever would have in the "canon" games. His personality doesn't really change from game to game...being a jerk, being a sore loser, being arrogant, being a coward, being a butt-monkey, and causing mischief...don't really change from game to game.

Most of these aspects will appear in the opening or ending cutscenes of the Mario sports games, mainly the games developed by Camelot, some of the others will appear in the Next.Level.Games. Mario Strikers duo "Scoring a goal" and "Winning the game" cutscenes. The fans made their own personality for the guy because that's what some fans tend to do, they just exaggerated most of what was already there.

Other than sports we don't really know what he does and what he likes.

He likes making fun of Luigi, likes making fun of opponents, likes taking the easy way out, causing mischief, winning, not being the butt-monkey, likes Daisy, and likes to Cheat. Other than that, anything else is not necessary to know because its really unimportant when he's in the position he is now.

• Thumbs Up 4

Not really, because Waluigi's characterization is constant despite the speculation that it is not. The problem that people who complain about him having a lack of character fail to pick up on the little details that he throws out in the games; which is very core to Waluigi himself - despite the brash ego he is a secretive character and would rather know more about you than you knowing about him. Nevertheless, some of this is to blame on Nintendo and their apparently weird standing about Waluigi's status in the games.

What do we know about Waluigi?

He loves mechanics, technological contraptions and has a genius ability or genius-like ability with them (as seen in: Mario Party 3, Mario Sports Mix, Mario and Sonic Winter Games DS, Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 and I'm sure I am missing more)

He is much smarter than he lets on (Mario and Sonic games are this - his skill level is higher than Robotnik's.)

He has stalker-esque qualities and never lets his problems go (as seen with the relations he has with Luigi.)

Despite his bizzare, mean-spirited outer shell he does have an underlying golden heart sort of in reflection to doppelganger Luigi and his sweet exterior with a deep, bitter interior brought to the front via Mr. L. (as seen when you help him in Mario Baseball/Sluggers, some may say that Mario Party 8's rose animation is also a reflection of this.)

Waluigi is skilled in the arcane arts and frequently has good chemistry with Magikoopa and Boos. His magical deception skills are seen in Mario Strikers.

Waluigi also likes plants as seen in Strikers. He is noted and associated with Piranha Plants as seen in one of his pieces of concept art for Mario Party 3.

Waluigi is also associated with feminine wiles - most of his gestures and positions are reflective of this in some of the games: speaking which...

Waluigi is known for contortion, flexibility and grace. Mario and Sonic games, Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, some Mario Party games and his animations in Mario Kart Wii are heavily reflective of this lithe demeanor. Mario Dance Mix also reflects this.

Hates Daisy: Mario and Sonic Winter Games Wii he will try to avoid her, in Sluggers he outright loathes her.

Actually, Waluigi seems to hate anyone who isn't Wario or Eggman. Yes, he even hates Bowser.

But his strange obsession with Luigi is apparent.

Now other things about Waluigi:

He is a sore loser and mean-spirited. See: Mario Golf games, Definitely Mario Strikers, Mario Kart series.

He is a hard worker and never gives up. He has a drive: Mario and Sonic Winter Games - character guide book

He is a snob: Mario and Sonic Winter Games - character guide book

He enjoys pulling pranks and having mean-spirited fun: see any intro with him and Wario

He is secretive and is great for mining information out of others: Mario and Sonic Winter Games DS

He is eccentric: Manual - I believe it is Mario Kart Double Dash that mentions this.

Likes money - Eggman mentions this during Mario and Sonic London Games 3DS.

Does has a grand ego - Not to the point of Wario, but he does like to slap his trademark moustache and nose on anything that is his. Sounds familiar like a certain scientist. Hmmmmm....

Also bonus: Eggman uses his skills and Wario's power to fine tune Metal Sonic in the same game and in London Games Wii, Metal Sonic's swimming animation is Waluigi's style. A little throwback to the previous event of the 3DS game. Neat.

So, do not say he has no personality - as you can see he does have one albeit not complete as say, Luigi's but it is constant and there.

EDIT: Oh! Almost forgot, most of these can be seen when he debates you in Fortune Street! He will help you if you help him and praise you. He can be kind, but only if there is a payoff.

I'm wrong then, that was a good bio of him.

I take back what I said. I was not sure of most these things.

I knew he was a sore loser but not realizing all those things you mention were constant in the games he is in.

The more you know.

But the rivalry with mario and luigi vs wario and waluigi could be its own series.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm wrong then, that was a good bio of him.

I take back what I said. I was not sure of most these things.

I knew he was a sore loser but not realizing all those things you mention were constant in the games he is in.

The more you know.

Don't feel bad. A  lot of these things are subtle and you really have to dig into his character to find out more things about him. Animations, phrasing, manual phrasing (though some of it is to be taken with a grain of salt since they are reversed - this is with all characters,) ect.

To categorize as short, Waluigi is one great big unwelcome mat who can be loyal if he finds someone to trust.

• Thumbs Up 3

Never appeared in a canon Mario game? First of all, canon in the Mario franchise is really loose, and hardly any of the games are interconnected; even the mainline ones. Miyamoto likened the character's portrayals to actors being cast into a stage play, able to change and fit the scenario. It's hardly a point to take seriously.

And since when is being in a main game some kind of prerequisite for having a personality? I really don't understand this line of reasoning. I'm not gonna get into a long rant about this because SchemingMinor already described him better than I could, but he definitely does have a personality. It's not so much created by his fans, rather, certain aspects of his character are played up for comedic effect. 

Never appeared in a canon Mario game? First of all, canon in the Mario franchise is really loose, and hardly any of the games are interconnected; even the mainline ones. Miyamoto likened the character's portrayals to actors being cast into a stage play, able to change and fit the scenario. It's hardly a point to take seriously.

And since when is being in a main game some kind of prerequisite for having a personality? I really don't understand this line of reasoning. I'm not gonna get into a long rant about this because SchemingMinor already described him better than I could, but he definitely does have a personality. It's not so much created by his fans, rather, certain aspects of his character are played up for comedic effect. 

Sorry, correction, I meant mainstream Mario game. And him not appearing in any mainstream Mario game has nothing really to do with his personality, my whole point on that is he's never been able to properly interact with other characters because he hasn't appeared in a mainstream Mario game.

Spinoff titles have shown bits and pieces of it, but has it been consistent? Either way, personality or not he's still never done anything for the series. And I'm not saying Waluigi is a bad character, I actually LIKE Waluigi. He's one of my favorite characters to play as in Mario Kart next to Diddy Kong, Yoshi, and Luigi. He's just never been given much more than spinoff status and its hard to accurately judge his character based on that.

As far as what I mean by "created by the fans," what I mean is, his bits and pieces of small interactions, grunts, and reactions to events are pieced together to try and make some sort of coherent personality from him. If he's at least been consistent in his spinoffs, I'll take back what I said about him having no real personality (I never said he didn't have a personality, mind, just that he didn't have a real one; and what I mean is, a consistent and accurate personality portrayal).

Regardless, we've still not been able to accurately judge his personality in a mainstream game that actually takes that into account a bit more. He's never had any sort of story role except in DDR Mario Mix and the Mario and Sonic games, and despite apparently supposedly being partners with Wario (even if not brothers, which I've heard they actually aren't), this has never been portrayed in a mainstream Mario game or WarioWare game, and its really quite annoying. Even him appearing in a spinoff RPG would be great.