Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Oh hey, Dedenne's a Pokeball Pokemon now. Makes it the first time a Pika-clone is a ball Pokemon.

2lizn9e.jpg

There was a lapse of judgment from me concerning Marth here. Silly me.

....Dedenne doesn't evolve into Raichu....

Also they're really subtle with the pattern of the electricity. Do you think this pokemon was introduced in X? :V

omg x pattern, Mega Man X confirmed

If you ask me, Raichu makes a better evo for Dedenne than Pikachu.

That's really only because of the color...and because this pokemon looks a bit similar to both Pikachu and Raichu anyway.

t0U3Y7g.jpg

Are you sure about that?

Yes.

Go to Bulbagarden or something to find out for yourself.

Unless you're purposefully acting like a troll or something, in which case you're not funny.

Sorry to step back a bit but why does Waluigi's model not have fingers? It's excusable on the Wii but we're but this is an HD console now with significantly more power and disc space. It's like they literally just recycled the Brawl model, up-resed it slightly and slapped a different texture on and called it a day. It's very lazy.

In fact that's the main issue I've been having so far with this game. Part of what made Melee and even Brawl awesome as a whole was that they gave the impression that they were really pushing the hardware and the developers were pushing themselves to make something incredible. Both Melee and Brawl remade a lot of resources from their predecessors. Brand new models, animations, everything really and both games had an exceptional amount of content for the platforms they were on.

I'm not getting this impression from Smash 4. They have 25GB of disc to work with (Brawl was 8GB, half of which consists of SSE cutscene that we know won't be in Smash 4) and a team of talented developers. They have no excuse to be cutting corners so blatantly in the areas they are unless this game is going to have an insane amount of content.

Don't get me wrong there's still a lot about this that I'm excited for, this is just something that really bothers me.

I also noticed that Waluigi's hands had a distinctly block-like shape, and the handle of his tennis racket was suspiciously square, but I don't know if that's sufficient evidence that the game is a soulless iterative sequel for which they had no new ideas.  Much though they may have announced the game before development had actually begun, indicating that the game was founded on the sole principle of making a new Smash Bros. game rather than due to any particular inspiration, and then not bothered to give it an actual title, indicating a lack of interest in providing it with a distinct identity in the series.

I don't know if I'll be bothered by Waluigi's lack of individual fingers when I'm too busy punching Jigglypuff's face in with Little Mac's punching combos.

I mean I get the fact that a lot of you think that this doesn't look like it has as much "heart and soul" as Melee or Brawl, but really? Smash 4 looks absolutely gorgeous, so I'm just excited regardless.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yes.

Go to Bulbagarden or something to find out for yourself.

Unless you're purposefully acting like a troll or something, in which case you're not funny.

I wasn't trolling, I was joking. There's a difference you know.  rolleyes.gif

Only reason I made the joke was because Dedenne looks more like a Raichu pre-evo than Pikachu and there were jokes about that after he was revealed. Only reason I posted a follow up was because Kamiciolo thought I was serious. Only reason I added text was because the newer mods are stricter about the no spamming meme pics only posts thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know if I'll be bothered by Waluigi's lack of individual fingers when I'm too busy punching Jigglypuff's face in with Little Mac's punching combos.

I mean I get the fact that a lot of you think that this doesn't look like it has as much "heart and soul" as Melee or Brawl, but really? Smash 4 looks absolutely gorgeous, so I'm just excited regardless.

Basically this, pushing the hardware to its graphical limits isn't always necessary when most of the time your most likely not even going to be paying attention to it (well, unless you play with the camera close up to your character).

Ok, now that I know that this version of this song exists, anybody else think it would be awesome for a super erie and dark Bowser's Castle stage?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNhbzNgDFdI

and not just any castle, but one that mixs the best ones over the years, especialy SMRPG's and paper marios!

Honestly, I'd rather they regress Waluigi back to N64 models, so as to reference his debut in Mario Tennis. The first thing I thought of when I saw his hand was "Oh my Rosalina, that's an N64-styled texture!", so why not.

It would literally be the same thing as the Advance Wars AT using GBA sprites and the Excitebike AT going full NES style.

Theirs no need for extra details all the time, especially in a Party Fighter that has a lot of stuff going on both in the foreground and background, I doubt you'll really notice anyway while your battling.

Shoot, If you want to see Waluigi in full detail so bad, prep yourself up for Mario Kart 8, same said for DK and Diddy who look a lot better in Tropical Freeze..

I don't see why we need to "push the hardware to its limits" at this point, anyway. Maybe for a game that has less things going on, but the graphics look beautiful as is. You're barely going to notice these small little details, and all kinds of references in-game use older graphics anyway. Some things are redrawn, heck they completely recreated Lyn who originally had a 2D sprite.

The only characters you're going to see excessive detail on are the playable characters and probably bosses, and even then, its not going to be as detailed as how they look in their own respective franchises. If you want to see Link pushed to his limits, wait until the next main Zelda game (not Hyrule Warriors; like with this game, Hyrule Warriors has TONS of things going on in the background, so it doesn't have nearly so much detail as a regular Zelda game would have).

Honestly... that's one major problem with Skyward Sword's graphics, IMO. They look incredibly muddy. And I'm not even referring to the cel-shaded look, the models look more like clay in SS. Despite more crap going on in the game, Brawl's graphics are shitloads better than Skyward Sword and this game is already a huge step up from Brawl. Course I'll have people argue with me about that.

I know we don't need incredibly detailed models for something that's only going to be on the screen for a few seconds, but is it really too much to ask for them to give him something that slightly resembles hands?

I know we don't need incredibly detailed models for something that's only going to be on the screen for a few seconds, but is it really too much to ask for them to give him something that slightly resembles hands?

Maybe not, but you're not going to ever see them that up close while you're busy actually playing anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

It kind of is if it really won't matter in the long run, unless they possibly decide to change how the assist trophy worked and there fore have a reason to update a model for new animations...otherwise it isn't necessary and not a detail worth caring about.

Maybe not, but you're not going to ever see them that up close while you're busy actually playing anyway.

Granted they did implement and encourage snapshots for Brawl, so fingers would be a better choice if they decide to use it again for this game.

Other than that, the game is still under construction so that might be why some of the models are less than Wii U standard fare.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erm...I wanted to mention something else but...

Aren't some of you possibly jumping the gun a little? We are seeing screenshots of an unfinished game after all.

They should go back to the 64 days when the pokemon (and now assist trophies) are blocky gifs instead of 3D models XD.

Just kidding of course. I don't personally care how detailed (or lack of) the assist trophies and Pokemon are going to be. If anything I hold high expectations of them because some of them look great already, like Skull Kid and the pokemon already revealed.

If this weren't a series I've invested so much time and effort into, I would concur with you but Smash is a series that has constantly (well, at least for Melee and Brawl anyway) tried to push what it could do on the console it's on.  That's very blatantly not the case with Smash 4 and that bothers me.  I'm very glad they returned to a brighter art style and the lighting engine as well as various details in the stages for instance look wonderful, but it doesn't look like a game that's trying to push the WiiU's hardware.

The reason why this all bothers me is because I really really want Smash 4 to be an absolutely spectacular game on all fronts because the WiiU is in dire need of those kinds of games.  A game that boldly exclaims "this is what the WiiU is capable of, and this is the new generation of Smash".