Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Little Mac being announced for Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS was a big deal here in the states, but what did our friends in Japan think of the reveal? It seems that Punch-Out!! is a bit more highly regarded here than in the land of the rising sun...

- The Punch-Out guy?

- He’s always been a highly-wanted character overseas

- Too niche, should’ve been left as a trophy. They should be using other companies’ characters before ones like this

- He’s extremely popular overseas and has been around since the Famicom days. I only learned about him from Captain Rainbow, though

- I dunno who this is. They should’ve used the guy from Kung Fu instead

- I think they should’ve left this as a secret character

- Makes sense for him to be in it, I expected some retro game characters

- The guy from Punch-Out? Is he really that memorable enough to be in Smash Bros?

- This guy was pretty strong assist character. So he’s gonna be an actual character now?

- I’m not as mad as I am dumbfounded. These character choices are such a joke 

That's just a small sampling of what people have been saying. You can check out even more comments here.

Since Japan doesn't seem too interested in Little Mac, just who do they want in the game? You can see some often-requested characters below.

Paper Mario

Nick / Captain Rainbow

Monster Hunter

Lucina

Dixie

Daisy

Waluigi

Shulk

From GoNintendo.

The one I really want on that list is Dixie. The best Kong deserves to be in the game.

Would definitely not want Monster Hunter. Paper Mario, too maybe. Everyone else I'm pretty neutral on. Daisy would be better as a full on alternate costume for Peach, though.

Keep in mind that character list was from a single poll and shouldn't really be seen as "Japan's most wanted characters." This Smashboards thread offers a more complete sample since it's taken from multiple Japanese forums, though we have nothing to really go on but Chronobound's word (but then that's the case with the other guy as well, and Chronobound is a pretty well-respected member at Smashboards iirc). Also it was written a pretty ong time ago so everything is pretty much subject to change, though with the roster being decided some time in 2012 any changes won't really matter anyway.

edit:

He’s from Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out, right? Only middle-aged guys like me would know him

lmao

>Waluigi was requested

See, Sakurai! You dun goofed! You don't even know what your own fans in your home country want!!!1one

• Thumbs Up 2

Wait, you guys I just had a thought, what if Diddie and Dixie are a TAG-Team, like Zelda and Sheik? that way it could still happen, but they just havent choosen to reveal it yet just like Zelda/Sheik

Wait, you guys I just had a thought, what if Diddie and Dixie are a TAG-Team, like Zelda and Sheik? that way it could still happen, but they just havent choosen to reveal it yet just like Zelda/Sheik

So far we don't even know if switching characters are coming back. And personally I hate the idea. I'd want Dixie to be an entirely separate character.

EDIT: On that list, Shulk and Dixie. I did not want Toon Link or Dr. Mario, and I do not want Paper Mario either. As much as I liked Young Link, as well, I didn't even want Young Link, either. I want new characters, not new versions of existing characters.

Lucina would be great if she wouldn't be almost completely identical to Marth. If they do create full alternate costumes which includes alternate characters, she'd be an excellent alt of Marth. Otherwise, because she is too close to Marth she just won't work out very well.

His banana Down Special seems to be unchanged though.

screen-10.jpg

I really don't know why people would want to see more tag-team characters. Most of the time, people only end up using one or the other, with the only real exception being the Pokemon Trainer who forces you to switch. It's just a bad mechanic and it's senseless to try and tie characters together when they really don't need it.

If they do create full alternate costumes which includes alternate characters, she'd be an excellent alt of Marth. Otherwise, because she is too close to Marth she just won't work out very well.

Creating other characters as alts kinda cheapens it for me.

But as far as her being too close to Marth... I don't really see it that way. Smash Bros is a series that takes liberties with everyone, and there's still enough to work with if they wanted to make a unique fighter out of her or Chrom. It's important to remember that Marth could've, hypothetically, had an entirely different moveset than the one he has now. Why can't a character that resembles him also be different?

They could use a lot of things as a starting point when making them stand out. For example, in Fire Emblem Awakening, characters like Lucina do a lot of lateral leaping and sliding in their attack animations, so there's already potential for giving them different attacks. Also, unlike Marth (not counting his FE:A DLC appearances), Lucina and Chrom can re-class/promote and use different weapons.

I dunno, I guess I just don't like seeing some characters written off so quickly. I remember people thought Little Mac would be boring because all he does is punch, or that Rosalina would have to be a clone of Peach because they have a similar figure/are from the same series.

• Thumbs Up 1

screen-10.jpg

I really don't know why people would want to see more tag-team characters. Most of the time, people only end up using one or the other, with the only real exception being the Pokemon Trainer who forces you to switch. It's just a bad mechanic and it's senseless to try and tie characters together when they really don't need it.

Agreed. In fact, so far, we haven't seen any switching characters whatsoever. We don't know if Zero Suit Samus is in, or Sheik, or Pokemon Trainer. I honestly hope all of them (yes, including Sheik; just make Sheik an alternate costume of Zelda instead) are gone, and Sheik's moveset can go to Impa instead (like I've never mentioned that before) but with a few differences to make her an entirely unique character from Zelda.

screen-10.jpg

Creating other characters as alts kinda cheapens it for me.

But as far as her being too close to Marth... I don't really see it that way. Smash Bros is a series that takes liberties with everyone, and there's still enough to work with if they wanted to make a unique fighter out of her or Chrom. It's important to remember that Marth could've, hypothetically, had an entirely different moveset than the one he has now. Why can't a character that resembles him also be different?

They could use a lot of things as a starting point when making them stand out. For example, in Fire Emblem Awakening, characters like Lucina do a lot of lateral leaping and sliding in their attack animations, so there's already potential for giving them different attacks. Also, unlike Marth (not counting his FE:A DLC appearances), Lucina and Chrom can re-class/promote and use different weapons.

I dunno, I guess I just don't like seeing some characters written off so quickly. I remember people thought Little Mac would be boring because all he does is punch, or that Rosalina would have to be a clone of Peach because they have a similar figure/are from the same series.

'Eh, perhaps. I'd much rather have Lucina than Chrom, I just can't imagine her being in because she's already so close to Marth and she even disguises herself as Marth. As far as Chrom goes, I'd rather they keep Ike than add Chrom, primarily due to the fact that Chrom does use Ike's signature attack, Aether, as well, and despite Ike not being "relevant" right now he's still a popular character and is the next-most recurring main Lord after Marth.

Maybe they could give Lucina Astra instead? That would be interesting. Granted, if anyone got Astra, it'd probably be a Final Smash.

Another problem with this idea, too, though, is that perhaps instead of picking out the most recent main FE characters, they may instead pick out a more iconic but still popular one. Lyn, of all characters, got into Brawl as an Assist Trophy. As the first FE character ever seen in the West, that gives Lyn an excellent first impression and Lyn is likely the first character people think of from Blazing Sword (the next being Hector; Eliwood doesn't seem to have really been all that popular).

I do think it'd be strange of them not to add an Awakening character, but I also doubt we'd get four FE characters (I can see three).

I could discuss how Robin/MU is far and away a more interesting FE character to think of a moveset for than any of the FE lords, but then we already knew that. tongue.pngOr we could talk about Tharja again.

I will say that with Olimar being the revealed character for Pikmin 3's release, despite having very little role in it, gives Marth more legitimacy by similarity. Marth's page includes an extension to the Fire Emblem Awakening website, even.

It could very well be that Marth might be the only FE character to be playable this time around. It's very unlikely, but still possible.

'Eh, perhaps. I'd much rather have Lucina than Chrom, I just can't imagine her being in because she's already so close to Marth and she even disguises herself as Marth. As far as Chrom goes, I'd rather they keep Ike than add Chrom, primarily due to the fact that Chrom does use Ike's signature attack, Aether, as well, and despite Ike not being "relevant" right now he's still a popular character and is the next-most recurring main Lord after Marth.

Maybe they could give Lucina Astra instead? That would be interesting. Granted, if anyone got Astra, it'd probably be a Final Smash.

Another problem with this idea, too, though, is that perhaps instead of picking out the most recent main FE characters, they may instead pick out a more iconic but still popular one. Lyn, of all characters, got into Brawl as an Assist Trophy. As the first FE character ever seen in the West, that gives Lyn an excellent first impression and Lyn is likely the first character people think of from Blazing Sword (the next being Hector; Eliwood doesn't seem to have really been all that popular).

I do think it'd be strange of them not to add an Awakening character, but I also doubt we'd get four FE characters (I can see three).

Lucina resembles Marth, but she was taught how to fight by Chrom. And as far as Chrom being too much like Ike, yeah, they both have Aether, but chances are they'd have completely different fighting styles. Chrom's presumably faster, and Ike wields a two-handed sword with one hand. I dunno, I'm sticking to my guns on this one. They can coexist, and I think this is true for most FE characters.

Other retro FE reps would be cool to see, too.

I could discuss how Robin/MU is far and away a more interesting FE character to think of a moveset for than any of the FE lords, but then we already knew that. tongue.pngOr we could talk about Tharja again.

Robin would definitely give a lot to work with, but when representing a franchise with such a colorful and iconic cast, it'd be a little weird to see him. Chrom and to a lesser extent Lucina are pretty much the face of Awakening. 

I could discuss how Robin/MU is far and away a more interesting FE character to think of a moveset for than any of the FE lords, but then we already knew that. tongue.png

He/She is also boring as crap, so I think that evens the field.

I will say that with Olimar being the revealed character for Pikmin 3's release, despite having very little role in it, gives Marth more legitimacy by similarity. Marth's page includes an extension to the Fire Emblem Awakening website, even.

It could very well be that Marth might be the only FE character to be playable this time around. It's very unlikely, but still possible.

Yeah, I do agree. The problem is that Robin wouldn't be all that interesting as Soma has noted.

Now GRIMA, on the other hand, using the Avatar as a base, would probably be a far better alternative IMO. It'd give the FE series a villain, and we'd still get the epic fighting style of the Avatar. Granted, personality and backstory wise, Grima isn't much better than Robin overall.

EDIT: And no, I highly, highly doubt Marth will be the only playable. In fact I think we may have three FE reps this time. The FE series really is big enough to get a third rep. Star Fox has a third rep for crying out loud! (Although at this point Star Fox doesn't really deserve it... the series has simply had characters ever since the original, and the only reason FE wasn't represented is because its Japan-only.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Too lazy to rip and reupload the pic, but Koume and Kotake are confirmed as stages hazards in Gerudo Valley:

Pic of the day. The twin grannies, Kotake and Koume, appear in Gerudo Valley! They're definitely up to no good.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKlmqUQW5A

One of the most exciting announcements for me so far. I was disappointed we were getting an OOT stage in the apparently handheld focused 3DS version, but them appearing is really cool. I hope they occasionally transform into Twinrova. I can't imagine them not.

That would explain the bridge going on fire in one of the earlier screenshots, the fire witch likely set fire to it.

Ok, this reminds me, for those of you who say they arent pushing themselves on this SSB, that is not true, They are pushing themselves TWICE as hard, as they are Making 2 Complete, and similar, yet different games at the exact same time, so while there may not be anything pointing out right away, making 2 games on 2 systems with incredibly different capabilities, yet making a unified experience

Now THAT is groundbreaking and new on SSB4(even if I do wish they were putting all the focus on the Wii-u version which is the one that is REALLY needed)

Ew Little Mac, I dunno who that is

Well same to you Japan, with your "Captain Rainbow" nonsense. rolleyes.gif

(Who, by the way, looks like he would've been a C.Falcon clone or something anyway had he been included, minus "yo-yo" attacks, or something)

256px-CaptainRainbow.jpg

Well same to you Japan, with your "Captain Rainbow" nonsense. rolleyes.gif

(Who, by the way, looks like he would've been a C.Falcon clone or something anyway had he been included, minus "yo-yo" attacks, or something)

256px-CaptainRainbow.jpg

It would be ironic if he ended up as a Captian falcon reskin

It's funny, the Japanese complain about Little Mac, but when Fire Emblem characters got into Melee, the reception in the west was positive enough to bring the series over there after being Japan only for years.

Now THAT is groundbreaking and new on SSB4(even if I do wish they were putting all the focus on the Wii-u version which is the one that is REALLY needed)

Says you, mate. With all due respect, I don't care about the Wii U version myself. I don't want to buy a Wii U just for that game, and the fact that a 3DS version exists is enough for me. I don't care if that version comes out at a later date, nor I do care about it being rougher, so to speak, since...it's the 3DS. I mean, once I unlock all the stuff in Smash Bros., what's left? Having a portable version of the game means that I can play it everytime I want, everywhere I want.

We now have two examples of characters as stage elements, along with the Yellow Devil in Wily's Castle. "Ridley as a stage hazard" is becoming more plausible as time passes, honestly.

I guess that explains the fire and the bridge being broken.

I can not make up their faces, where are their eyes or nose? lol

Edit: Found it. big ol eyes

I guess that explains the fire and the bridge being broken.

I can not make up their faces, where are their eyes or nose? lol

Edit: Found it. big ol eyes

Collectively their eyes and nose make up 90% of their faces. :V

koume-kotake.jpg

my god I forgot how ugly these two were. They're fantastic though; one of my favorite Zelda bosses ever.

• Thumbs Up 2