Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Dixie was cut from Brawl, so it wouldn't surprise me if she made a come back now. And we're seeing signs that K. Rool may be around too. Both would be awesome choices; Dixie has co-starred in a few DK games and was the star of her own game, too, in fact, Donkey, Diddy, and Dixie are the only DK characters to be the stars of their own games. K. Rool was the main antagonist of all three of them.

Diddy should've been in Melee, really. I think it'd be great to add both Dixie and K. Rool this time, but we'll see.

Also, every time a francises roster has expanded past 2, its almost always got to include a villian, and I'm sorry, but neither the tikis or Snowmads have someone who would be anywhere as unique, or as Iconic as K.Rool, I mean he is THE iconic DK villian(other than mario obviously)

• Thumbs Up 1

Mario's not a DK villain, at least not anymore. It is true that franchises which expand past two characters usually get a villain, so yeah, I think K. Rool is the next likely choice, though they did clearly consider Dixie Kong before K. Rool.

Similarly, although Wolf is only a rival, he's the closest character to a villain Star Fox could've added. Also why I think we may get Grima from Awakening instead of Chrom or Lucina. Keep Ike, and add Grima as a villain to fill that third slot.

It should be noted that Pokemon actually DROPPED their villain in Brawl. I do think Mewtwo will be back, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I see a new meme has started:

tumblr_n3qt7e1GgR1r8fw6so1_500.png

tumblr_n3qpceZ1qR1rd8x3eo1_500.jpg

I guess no one cares about the competitive side of the fandom huh? *crawls into cave to cry for centuries*

Edit: talking about the second picture.

Besides his crown throw i can't think of any other moves K. Rool could use in Smash maybe they could use his "gun' from DKC2 and maybe his heli pack from DKC3 as a recovery, i'd like to a move similar to Zelda's Phantom slash attack where he summons a random DKC enemy.

Technically LoZ's third character was Sheik. Her victory animations, picking her from the start, and the announcer calling her name are enough to establish her as a character, even if she shared the same CS slot as Zelda.

About Grima, Fire Emblem's shtick is to play "Villain of the Week" with every installment - unlike Ganon and Bowser, Fire Emblem antagonists stick around for the Big Bad role for one installment before being cut down. The only exception to this is Medeus, but by FE3, Gharnef has played the Big Bad role for so long Medeus may as well be considered as having a Bigger Bad-type of role. So Grima, a Bigger Bad (Validar claims the Big Bad role here) boss that literally shares the same vessel as FEA's Deuteragonist, getting top billing over a character that's basically Villager or Mii in an RPG, doesn't sit well with me.

Just the Blunderbuss alone would make K.Rool a pretty interesting character. Have you seen the arcs some of his cannonballs fly in? Play around with it a bit and you could make it a fantastic area denial move, and the crazy arcs means a hell of a lot of possibilities for customization options too.

Beyond that you could probably give him some DK64 references if you need some extra move slots to fill. Like the bouncy Orange grenades, for example, or one of the charging moves he uses in the penultimate boxing ring fight. And that fuckoff huge laser cannon he tries destroying DK's island with would make a pretty neat Final Smash to boot, if not the laser firing cardboard cutout that is Creepy Castle's boss.

• Thumbs Up 1

Besides his crown throw i can't think of any other moves K. Rool could use in Smash maybe they could use his "gun' from DKC2 and maybe his heli pack from DKC3 as a recovery, i'd like to a move similar to Zelda's Phantom slash attack where he summons a random DKC enemy.

Just the Blunderbuss alone would make K.Rool a pretty interesting character. Have you seen the arcs some of his cannonballs fly in? Play around with it a bit and you could make it a fantastic area denial move, and the crazy arcs means a hell of a lot of possibilities for customization options too.

Beyond that you could probably give him some DK64 references if you need some extra move slots to fill. Like the bouncy Orange grenades, for example, or one of the charging moves he uses in the penultimate boxing ring fight. And that fuckoff huge laser cannon he tries destroying DK's island with would make a pretty neat Final Smash to boot, if not the laser firing cardboard cutout that is Creepy Castle's boss.

There is also the fact that he is stronger than DK, and is also extremely fast and agile, oh and can cause earthquakes with his fists, then throw in his intelligence, and skill with weapondry, you have an extremely formidable character with a ton of potential

Best comparison is that he is more or less a technical genius equivalent to Marvel's Kingpin, and is also a giant lizard

tricky part of putting him into smash would be how to balance him, since canonicly, he is a heavy-weight with high speed, and good jump, and tech

Technically LoZ's third character was Sheik. Her victory animations, picking her from the start, and the announcer calling her name are enough to establish her as a character, even if she shared the same CS slot as Zelda.

About Grima, Fire Emblem's shtick is to play "Villain of the Week" with every installment - unlike Ganon and Bowser, Fire Emblem antagonists stick around for the Big Bad role for one installment before being cut down. The only exception to this is Medeus, but by FE3, Gharnef has played the Big Bad role for so long Medeus may as well be considered as having a Bigger Bad-type of role. So Grima, a Bigger Bad (Validar claims the Big Bad role here) boss that literally shares the same vessel as FEA's Deuteragonist, getting top billing over a character that's basically Villager or Mii in an RPG, doesn't sit well with me.

The very reason I'm saying Grima is because he's basically the Avatar already, it'd add an FE villain character, Chrom wouldn't be a particularly interesting choice overall, and the Avatar is really generic as is. The only reason I'm saying Grima over the Avatar is because it'd be an Awakening character and a villain and it would be barely any different than just saying the Avatar anyway.

I know that FE has a villain of the week scenario. You have Avatar, Chrom, or Lucina to pick from if we anticipate an Awakening character. Avatar has the greatest potential for being a unique fighter, but combine that with the fact that the Avatar is Grima, why not just jump straight to Grima? It's the same thing really...

The next-best choices from FE I'd have to say would be Anna or Lyn. And we already know how well that went for Lyn.

And you can't really argue that whole notion because Ganondorf was released IN THE SAME GAME. The idea proposed is that once a series hits three characters, a villain is released at the same time. This has happened for every franchise to date. Saying that Sheik is the "third" Zelda character is really stretching things out, isn't it? Ganondorf was still released in the same game regardless.

K. Rool has four major boss battles worth of moves to grab from. He's got tons of potential. He can grab from all of those battles.

Dunno if anybody has talked about this, but something I would really love but probably won't happen would be to have a bunch of third party characters show up as trophies (like, ones you collect, not assist ones) if nothing else. I'd kill to see Layton, Phoenix, or Sissel as trophies for instance since all of them got their start on Nintendo.

Hell it'd be awesome to see reaaaaally obscure shit such as Mr. Gimmick or something.

• Thumbs Up 4

Dunno if anybody has talked about this, but something I would really love but probably won't happen would be to have a bunch of third party characters show up as trophies (like, ones you collect, not assist ones) if nothing else. I'd kill to see Layton, Phoenix, or Sissel as trophies for instance since all of them got their start on Nintendo.

Hell it'd be awesome to see reaaaaally obscure shit such as Mr. Gimmick or something.

That would be interesting. It'd be a nice nod to third-parties without necessarily making them playable. I really can't see third-parties getting references in-game and not having playable reps, but it'd be cool if it did happen.

...I guess it should have been obvious in hindsight that Zero Samus would have a better jump height than normal Samus's, but it's nice to have pics like this every now and then to put otherwise trivial details in good perspective.

Guessing the boots means they've scrapped ZSS's tether recovery?

...I guess it should have been obvious in hindsight that Zero Samus would have a better jump height than normal Samus's, but it's nice to have pics like this every now and then to put otherwise trivial details in good perspective.

Guessing the boots means they've scrapped ZSS's tether recovery?

Aye, as shown in the direct she does a sort of "Cammy Cannon Spike" upward kick for her Up B.  Unless they've given ZSS a Z-Air tether in addition to this (if those are in this game) or she has kept the tether on her Side B.

I guess its also confirmed that the normal color for ZSS (or vice versa) doesn't change normal samus' color. I know it was inevitable since they are on different camera slots now but its still nice to know.

The logo has a fire and ice theme, fire for the 3DS version, ice for the WiiU.

Ehhhh I think you're looking too much into things (I know you were probably joking about the release dates comparison meaning something).  The actual physical shape of the design is exactly the same - a flame.  But the for 3DS logo has red fire because the 3DS logo is red, and the for Wii U logo has blue fire because the Wii U logo is blue.

They sort of did that in Brawl. You had trophies from Another Code and Hotel Dusk, which as far as I know are third party Nintendo games. Could be wrong though. =S

I do agree however that I'd love to see trophies for Layton and Phoenix!

I just realized that last night I described K.Rool basicly as a 2-ton sonic with ranged weapons, but thats not entirely true, a goo explanation would proably be this, is that K.Rool is basicly DK's version of the Abomination: He's Bigger, stronger, faster, smarter, and has tech, however he is a clutz, and doesnt handdle perfectly, but ya it would be really interesting to see what happens if he does get in

Ehhhh I think you're looking too much into things (I know you were probably joking about the release dates comparison meaning something).  The actual physical shape of the design is exactly the same - a flame.  But the for 3DS logo has red fire because the 3DS logo is red, and the for Wii U logo has blue fire because the Wii U logo is blue.

It's actually not my theory, I was meant to link the origin in the post.  Edited that now.  Although look at the top and the bottom of the combined logo as opposed to the separate ones:

300px-Logo_EN_-_Super_Smash_Bros._Wii_U_

The top is fire (obviously), the bottom is ice (it's pointed and hard).  I recommend opening this in a new tab/window since the blue background of this forum makes it difficult to see.

It's actually not my theory, I was meant to link the origin in the post.  Edited that now.  Although look at the top and the bottom of the combined logo as opposed to the separate ones:

300px-Logo_EN_-_Super_Smash_Bros._Wii_U_

The top is fire (obviously), the bottom is ice (it's pointed and hard).  I recommend opening this in a new tab/window since the blue background of this forum makes it difficult to see.

Those guys are thinking way too hard about it, really.

If I was designing a logo for a fighting game, I'd go for red vs blue scheme too. It's a good contrast as the logo is now. Not much else to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I'd agree that they're definitely going for a fire and ice theme this time around, especially if you look at this game's Final Destination which absolutely solidifies that theme. Plus, it's the first time they've had two versions, so having two opposite themes helps to reinforce their differences. 

The Summer/Winter release window thing is probably just a happy coincidence though. For instance, if the game had needed an extra 6 months of development time per version and it ended up being a Winter 2014 and Summer 2015 release respectively, I doubt they'd have gone to all the effort of changing the colours around just to match the seasons. But it's a neat little theory nevertheless.

• Thumbs Up 5

I dunno. It definitely looks like they're going for a fire and ice theme.

Indeed, but it's not anything hidden like the thread seems to think in the original post. People are even going as far as claiming it's hidden characters when it's more or less to separate the games but make sure people know they're the same game, just different versions.

I guess you could say it's their way of differentiating their games like Pokemon does aka the Fire and Ice versions.

• Thumbs Up 1