Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

So  I was looking at the male WFT.

His face seems to just be a literal copy of Female WFT. (Everything else is changed from the look.) I mean before you say, "we'll they're both manikins, how different can they be?", I want to point out that in the Wii Fit games, male wii fit trainer had some noticeable alterations to his facial structure.

wii_fit___trainer_models_by_alpha920-d72

I mean, I'm not complaining or anything, I just noticed this. ( I mean it's just a skin, so that probably explains it lol.)

A real GOOD thing they have a For Fun mode, cause I don't want to be anywhere near Tournament crazed folks unless I feel like it on occasion.

Well, i'm betting you will still be seeing pros in for fun mode playing it seriously.

Waluigi heard that he wasn't going to be playable in the latest Smash Bros, so here's his reaction:

• Thumbs Up 6

All stages having an FD form is going to grant Diddy, Falco, DDD, and Ice Climbers significant advantages if they remain unchanged in terms of banana locks and chaingrabs. If they are changed explicitly to prevent FD-abuse like that, great.

But chances are the competitive scene will just take the original FD, and ban the rest of the FD-stages unless it is requested by the counterpicker and accepted by the opponent.

Good to know some competitive players are so scared of getting hit by karts that they can easily work to avoid in Rainbow Road that they're willing to ban it no question though. Open to new fighting strategies, they are not.

Same goes for Windy Hill. They may be claiming it's a "Counter-pick" now, but just wait until one too many players try to recover low and are bounced back by the giant two-faced springs.

• Thumbs Up 1

doesnt that defeat the point of the FD stages though? they are literally reskins of the normal FD so the competetive players can have a chance to have the other visuals and music choices rather than just FD. shame its only for For Glory mode and not normal multi/singleplayer mode

Despite the online looking like a massive improvement over the atrocity that was Brawl's online, this is still really disappointing. I wish we could play any stage we want with random matchups and have no items at the same time. Also was it stated we could have stock matches with random matchup? I don't remember.

doesnt that defeat the point of the FD stages though? they are literally reskins of the normal FD so the competetive players can have a chance to have the other visuals and music choices rather than just FD. shame its only for For Glory mode and not normal multi/singleplayer mode

Its not only in "For Glory" mode...the FD versions of each stage is accessible in all of the game's fighting modes, also the stages in Online with "Anyone" are selected randomly, no one is getting to choose the stage.

Its not only in "For Glory" mode...the FD versions of each stage is accessible in all of the game's fighting modes, also the stages in Online with "Anyone" are selected randomly, no one is getting to choose the stage.

We don't know for sure if they're available in "all of the game's fighting modes" or not. We do know they are NOT restricted just to For Glory, though, because Rosalina uses her Final Smash in the Good Egg Galaxy FD version, which means there's at least one mode you can play the FD versions on that allows items.

Despite the online looking like a massive improvement over the atrocity that was Brawl's online, this is still really disappointing. I wish we could play any stage we want with random matchups and have no items at the same time. Also was it stated we could have stock matches with random matchup? I don't remember.

I mean, that's when you play With Anyone, With Friends we can still just do whatever we want with the matches. And imo With Friends is the more important area most of the time.

It's kind of interesting that Sakurai decided to make an FD version of each stage.  It's like he gets the competitive community but not quite (or rather he gets it at a fairly superficial level which is honestly still better than nothing).  FD at first glance seems like the most neutral stage not having any platforms or gimmicks, but it's the absence of platforms and it's slightly larger than average length that actually mean it isn't completely neutral.  Whilst it's still classed as a neutral stage and is a starter stage in both Melee and Brawl, there are definitely characters that have a bit more of an advantage there particularly for characters with powerful chaingrabs such as Ice Climbers in Melee and Falco in Brawl.  Battlefield is actually a more neutral stage than FD.

However, I do very much appreciate the idea and the principle.

I sorta want to say that FD isn't actually the standard stage for competitive play. When Sakurai said what he did in the trailer it sorta felt like he was taking the piss based on that (although I actually remember hearing that the Japanese competitive scene LOVES FD, so I suppose he could be basing it off that...)

In Brawl at least Final Destination is considered a counterpick stage rather than a neutral and Battlefield is arguably more like your typical "neutral" level that's associated with the game. I think it's actually similar in Melee to an extent.

But yeah, it's annoying when Sakurai and others say that FD and it's clones are for the competitive folk when people who play competitively would've probably greatly preferred Battlefield clones (which would also allow for more diversity).

EDIT: Ninja'd! How could this be!

It's kind of interesting that Sakurai decided to make an FD version of each stage.  It's like he gets the competitive community but not quite (or rather he gets it at a fairly superficial level which is honestly still better than nothing).  FD at first glance seems like the most neutral stage not having any platforms or gimmicks, but it's the absence of platforms and it's slightly larger than average length that actually mean it isn't completely neutral.  Whilst it's still classed as a neutral stage and is a starter stage in both Melee and Brawl, there are definitely characters that have a bit more of an advantage there particularly for characters with powerful chaingrabs such as Ice Climbers in Melee and Falco in Brawl.  Battlefield is actually a more neutral stage than FD.

However, I do very much appreciate the idea and the principle.

I have a hard time thinking of battlefield as neutral because Sonic's so bad on it, same with Lylat Cruise.  I have no idea how Halberd wound up being considered as neutral as Delfino Plaza, which I think is the most neutral alongside smashville.  

I'm rather disappointed in the competitive community for asserting that flat zone 2's hazards are random.  They aren't random, they're based on what the non hazardous parts of the stage are doing.  And yet distant planet is considered OK for counterpicks....

Wish Fountain of Dreams would come back.  Did Project M re add that stage?  And then there was Poke floats.  I found that level distressing for some reason. 

Suddenly I'm imagining an Ash Lake SSB stage

You're insane if you think Delfino is neutral. That stage has walk off sections at certain points which instantly removes any level of neutrality that stage has. Not to mention the factor of constantly varying terrain. Nothing about that stage is neutral at all. It's a counterpick at a stretch.

Flat Zone 2's issues IMO come mainly in its blast zone locations and the fact that again it's a walk off.

Battlefield is definitely neutral stage (barring maybe Smahsville in Brawl) and Sonic certainly isn't terrible on it at all. Platforms help his vertical chases and the lips of the edges can be wall jumped off of for additional recovery. He's no worse on that stage than any other character.

Oh and yes Fountain of Dreams was added back into PM (replaces Mario Bros).

I'm sure I've read this before but at the same time I'm sure it'll give a competitive fan pleasure to talk about so, to a For Fun Smasher like myself, what's the problem with walk-offs?  Is it too easy for a lot of characters to score KOs with them or something?

I once played as Kirby on a walk-off and just sucked in an opponent and blew them out towards the crash area. It was about 3 or 4 easy wins.

It's pretty exploitable if either you know how to bluff or if your opponent is otherwise unskilled.

In any case, it's pretty easy to get cheap kills regardless. Walk-offs in general are quite different from your average stage layout, so competitive Smashers who have built their meta game around final-destination levels are not going to enjoy changing their well thought-out strategies. For instance, walk-offs such as Flat-Zone completely remove the concept of recovery, since there's no "pits" to factor into the equation.

You'd think it would make thing easier, but once you've built a strategy around a concept, the shift in playstyle could turn even the most vicious Smasher into a sitting duck. But that's just me interjecting my observations. They're pretty militant about what stages are allowed in tournaments either way.

EDIT: 

Heh, this reminds me of the first Smash tournament I went to. I didn't participate, but there was an open TV and Wii there, so I went ahead and played classic mode in Brawl while everyone else was intensely focused on their competition. Once I reached New Pork City, one of the moderators afar freaked out and said "WHY DO I HEAR NEW PORK CITY."  I had to show him that I was just playing classic mode on my own. 

Yeah, they get pretty uptight.

"Smash ain't no joke."  - Doc Lewis

Edited by Indigo Rush

I feel every stage should have a Battlefield mode as opposed to a FD mode as Battlefield is the more balanced stage (and IMO the more fun competitive stage), but I still appreciate FD mode. 

Ah that makes sense.  For me variety is the spice of life when it comes to stages, so I even enjoy playing stuff like Mario Bros.  Not so much stages like 75m though, they're just awkward.  Mario Bros. mixes up the gameplay by giving you a unique gimmick of throwing enemies to score KOs but when a stage is just generally oddly shaped with no gimmick or exclusive fighting style to make up for it, I don't see the point.  100m would've been a much better stage - sorta like Brinstar and Luigi's Mansion in which you can change the shape of the stage by smashing parts of it.

Also if for some bizarre reason 75m returns, I demand that when Donkey Kong is in play, Alfonzo is in charge of throwing barrels.

• Thumbs Up 6

I feel every stage should have a Battlefield mode as opposed to a FD mode as Battlefield is the more balanced stage (and IMO the more fun competitive stage), but I still appreciate FD mode. 

Well even so, you gotta remember that a number of stages already are sort of variations of Battlefield anyway, there may be some redundancy. 

But the fact of the matter is that Final Destination is where all the competitive Smashers go, so the mode that's dedicated to them is going to cater to that stage layout.

I really really hope 75m does not return. That stage was just not fun, it was weird, really odd. I wouldn't mind Mario bros coming back, they can use the wrap around effect for that stage but that means it would take forever to die. So no wrap around.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not just competitive smashers, but also "competitive-to-be" kinds of Smashers, who believe that playing on FD only will help them get ready for the big tournaments. Smash 4 is already set to go with the middle-of-the-road approach between Melee and Brawl, so it isn't an unreasonable idea.

The community needs to stop with calling a stage a "Neutral" too. NO stage is purely neutral to the point where it grants even matchups across the board. By all means, avoid FD if you want to get away from DDD CG shenanigans, but Peach and Marth are gonna love ya if you to Battlefield. Lylat? Olimar's got his Purple Pikmin ready for ya. Call these stages "Starter" stages instead - the term doesn't hold any sense of bias for or against that "Neutral" does.