Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Was looking more at the aesthetic side really, but I do see your point.

Luigi is just a taller green Mario.

I suppose it does help that I grew up playing Donkey Kong Country and loved Donkey Kong far more than Mario, plus Dixie Kong is my favorite DK character (and even then I'd prefer K. Rool as a playable in Smash than Dixie). Everywhere I go, most people seem to think that Dixie is the next logical choice from the series and DK is big enough that it definitely could use another rep. Heck, hands down, Diddy Kong should've been in Melee.

We'll see how things go, though. We might not get a new DK character (though I highly doubt it).

I still think it'd be cool if we got a "character skins" feature in this game. They do all the 3D modeling already anyway when creating Assist Trophies, and even just regular trophies. With this new custom movesets, I find it highly likely that "character skins" may be a reality in this game.

I don't know for sure, but I think that the biggest complexity with creating new characters is designing an original moveset and balancing the moves. Adding alternate skins of characters with their own voice but the same animations might be a lot easier compared to this. This might be a good way to bring all prior clones back and add new "clone" characters as alts of existing characters. To differentiate them, they can give these character skins a default "custom moveset" when fought as NPC's.

I'm not sure if they would do this, but I think it'd be cool. I think that character skins would probably have their own voices as well, but probably not unique battle end animations. We could have both Falco and Fox with less development time than a full character involved. Lucas and Ness can both be in, but in one character, and even Roy, Dr. Mario, and Pichu could come back.

Just a thought, not sure how others would feel about this idea or if its viable.

• Thumbs Up 1

A little alternate FD action from the 3DS version for today's pic:

2r59kxh.jpg

Pic of the day. This is the final destination version of Gerudo Valley. No more surprise visits from Koume and Kotake, and the bridge is gone. There are no distractions and there's nowhere to run. And the score that plays in the background is "Gerudo Valley."

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, that's interesting. Wasn't sure if the FD alternatives appeared in 3DS. That's the first we've seen of them.

Oh, the Boxing Ring FD stage should be quite easy. Removed the platforms on the sides of the boxing ring and remove the barrier around the boxing ring.

EDIT: Btw, you missed this part:

You can make most stages turn into a final destination. Depending on the stage, it might be floating in midair or perched on a cliff.

I found this on Smash Bros Miiverse. Also, once again, he says "most." This probably won't apply to certain stages that are too complicated to handle, such as moving stages like Super Mario 3D Land.

Can't really be that hard to program a moving stage to stop moving. Mind you, I'm of the opinion that a Final-Destination mode is fucking stupid anyway and that people should just stick to FD itself if they hate fun.

3D land I can see having a Fd stage, just remove the obstacles and have the background move?

The star I CANT see getting a FD form is the Spirit Tracks level with the moving floor

I wonder if the floating vs cliff variants will bother competitive players.  Don't they have a whole thing around stuff taking place under the stage sometimes or would they still accept both stage types as neutral?

Just thinking in terms of if, online, FD variants will be picked at random or not.

Can't really be that hard to program a moving stage to stop moving. Mind you, I'm of the opinion that a Final-Destination mode is fucking stupid anyway and that people should just stick to FD itself if they hate fun.

Allowing variants of visuals and sound for any aspect of the game that will be played a lot is an important detail. I'd love stage skins for Home-Run mode too, or at least music that doesn't obnoxiously restart every single time you play, ugh.

I have to say though I never expected snotty attitudes from the "for fun" folks on this.  As a "for fun" person I am so happy we get variants of this because it means I can enjoy the occasional neutral match (I still play with items anyway) and the real super awesome Final Destination can remain special to the Single Player modes as the "final boss area" for me again.

Moving stages like PokeFloats and Rainbow Cruiser were fine for tourneys. They could just remove the obstacles from the 3DL stage.

If a sizeable amount of the Smash demographic are competitive psychopaths, then you may as well make a mode specifically to cater to them. 

It's beneficial to them, and its unoffensive to us.

I mean, I don't see people complaining about time attack modes or anything else that encourages speed running in Sonic games. It's there for fun.

Because fun is subjective.

I'm no competitive player, but I do enjoy a fairer fight on a stage like Final Destination from time to time. Giving every stage the option to be used in a Final Destination mode sounds like a great idea, personally.

There's only so many times you can play a stage without getting bored, so I can see the alternate modes being beneficial for all stages.

• Thumbs Up 2

Or maybe people have different opinions on what actually qualifies as "fun?"

• Thumbs Up 5

Or maybe people have different opinions on what actually qualifies as "fun?"

Seriously. Competitive Smashers don't hate fun, we just prefer it when random shit like items and stage hazards aren't there to get in the way of a good fight. And even then we still mess around with those every once in a while, lol.

To stray on the Final Destination subject a bit, anyone else hope that this game incorporates SD card/Flash Drive music? It seems like a completely logical thing to do and won't take too much effort for a pretty damn good reward. 

To stray on the Final Destination subject a bit, anyone else hope that this game incorporates SD card/Flash Drive music? It seems like a completely logical thing to do and won't take too much effort for a pretty damn good reward. 

Yeah, I hope they do this too since it seemed like a pretty big wasted potential for an extra music option, not only that, it would be nice to listen to Fight the Knight as I beat Marth to bloody pulp :P

Allowing custom music would certainly be beneficial for the 3DS version in particular, seeing as it'll only have a choice of two tracks for each stage (which is still very nice of course).

Not something I'd use though, the Smash soundtracks are always top-notch.  The only thing I disliked on Brawl was that several stages had too many songs packed into one for the sake of covering vaguer games (Pictochat has so many songs I like and I'll only get to hear each individual one rarely as a result).  Lip's Theme shoulda totally gone on Yoshi's Island due to the Tetris Attack connection.

I'm not very good at Smash at all but I always play No Items Final Destination/Battlefield. It's more fun without distractions.

• Thumbs Up 1

So looking at the Direct, after four fucking games, Donkey Kong finally has the roll as his dash attack

10258051_639605386095314_773166246526239

all is now right with the world

also I love how his tie clips through his mouth

• Thumbs Up 4

A good Smash with Items = Knowledge

A good Smash without items = Power

All Items on = a big no no, always has to be a specific set.

A good Smash with Items = Knowledge

A good Smash without items = Power

All Items on = a big no no, always has to be a specific set.

come on, we all know the perfect match would be Cuccos, Bob-ombs, Blue-shells, and smart bombs only, on extremely high, in high speed mode

I play with all items on high more often then not but I can also go for a 2hardcore4me no items match sometimes too. Depends on my mood and who I'm playing with or if I'm settling a grudge or not. 

I think that's part of the beauty of Smash Bros honestly: You can play it in many different ways and create many different dynamics to a match by changing up the item settings/stage/rules in general. 

So looking at the Direct, after four fucking games, Donkey Kong finally has the roll as his dash attack

10258051_639605386095314_773166246526239

all is now right with the world

also I love how his tie clips through his mouth

Project M still did it first :P (just joking but yeah it is nice that he finally got his roll).

Thank God DK's roll is back. That's been his staple since the originals. DK rolls, Diddy cartwheels, and Dixie hair twirls. Those were always their trademark running attacks. Its a shame it took Sakurai this long to add DK's roll to Smash, but glad its here now.

Also Link's dash attack is now the jump slash thingy and his  backwards roll is the backflip

They're small touches, but it's nice to see they're making efforts to make fighters more faithful to their canon counterparts

• Thumbs Up 3

All items on = crazy fun.

I usually play with items on. Sometimes I turn them off, but I rarely have ALL items on.

Some are just obnoxious as all hell, like the Dragoon Parts, or the smoke bomb, or the invincibility stars. 

Also on the subject of playing only Final Destination: it's not a 100% balanced stage. No platforms means you can't use them to follow up air attacks, and projectile centered characters have something of an advantage because they're harder to avoid. It'd be cool if there were a Battlefield version of each stage, too. There's a reason most competitive players play that one, too, in addition to FD.