Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Its funny how we seen the final destination form the day this game got revealed. I had thoughts on why battlefield was missing platforms during the developer direct video.

I rarely ever play with items on, they're too much of a distraction for me. I never minded the items in Melee but the new ones introduced in Brawl are so obnoxious.

They're small touches, but it's nice to see they're making efforts to make fighters more faithful to their canon counterparts

*cough* samus using the morph ball as a crawl *cough*

*cough* samus using the morph ball as a crawl *cough*

But I thought Metroid couldn't crawl?

• Thumbs Up 5

Generally speaking items on is the only fun way to play casually with friends who don't play video games as often as me.  With my video game veteran friends who I know it's not impolite to go all out on, I'll tend to enjoy playing without items more and have a competitive match.

3D land I can see having a Fd stage, just remove the obstacles and have the background move?

The star I CANT see getting a FD form is the Spirit Tracks level with the moving floor

Well Sakurai did say MOST of the stages have a FD form. Most. So I'm willing to bet Spirit Train is one of the exceptions.

So looking at the Direct, after four fucking games, Donkey Kong finally has the roll as his dash attack

10258051_639605386095314_773166246526239

all is now right with the world

also I love how his tie clips through his mouth

No, he obviously got hungry, mistook his tie for a banana and started eating it.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, he obviously got hungry, mistook his tie for a banana and started eating it.

Yeah, but he wanted to use part of it to pick his nose too, and wipe his lips.

If a sizeable amount of the Smash demographic are competitive psychopaths, then you may as well make a mode specifically to cater to them. 

It's beneficial to them, and its unoffensive to us.

I mean, I don't see people complaining about time attack modes or anything else that encourages speed running in Sonic games. It's there for fun.

Because fun is subjective.

It's worth noting at least that speed is a strongly implied objective of a Sonic game, though, so completing a game in timely fashion is just a natural result of becoming better at the game. Smash, on the other hand, has never claimed to be a particularly balanced game - nobody bar the fans have ever tried to give it that kind of label. That being said:

Or maybe people have different opinions on what actually qualifies as "fun?"

I was actually referring to "for fun", as in the game mode, and I feel really stupid now for mis-phrasing it that badly. >.>

Yeahhh you kind of dropped the ball there, bro :/

But we get ya. I'd argue against Smash not being a balanced fighter, though. If this were Smash 64, maybe, but Smash has evolved a lot. Nowadays months upon months of work is dedicated to making sure the game has balance. It's a seriously deep fighter despite being controlled by only two buttons, an analog stick and a trigger. 

If it weren't, there wouldn't be tournaments for it. Heck, even Melee had a tournament mode built in, and it's only the second one in the series. Sakurai knew it had potential.

• Thumbs Up 2

But we get ya. I'd argue against Smash not being a balanced fighter, though. If this were Smash 64, maybe, but Smash has evolved a lot. Nowadays months upon months of work is dedicated to making sure the game has balance. It's a seriously deep fighter despite being controlled by only two buttons, an analog stick and a trigger. 

If it weren't, there wouldn't be tournaments for it. Heck, even Melee had a tournament mode built in, and it's only the second one in the series. Sakurai knew it had potential.

I disagree with the notion that Smash has been balanced in the past. Melee may have been a bit more balanced, but even then it was very unbalanced. Same goes for Brawl which was even worse.

This time around, it does appear they're putting far more effort into reaching that balance. There's no guarantee that balance will be perfected, but hopefully most characters will be about the same and a lot closer to one another than in past games.

Most people who don't care about competitive fighting wouldn't care about balance anyway... so there's no real reason NOT to try and balance characters. I don't think Sakurai really was interested in balance that much in past games, he was just focused on making the game fun and enjoyable. Now things may be changing and he's focusing more on that competitive side, balancing things out.

One concern I did have is the fact that games like this keep on having more and more characters and features added, which may cause some issues... but I did realize that other than polishing up prior characters a bit, they don't need to do as much work on existing features as they do for new characters, which is what allows sequels to have more characters and features. Yeah, they still need to be polished over, make the models and graphics look better, but the assets already exist and can just be updated rather than having to be done from scratch.

Do we know if the 3DS Final Destination will be the same as HD? I mean, Battlefield is different, however I vaguely remember Sakurai saying only most of the stages are different for both versions.

Yeah, i've always liked to think that smash should still be about balance in some ways since it would cater to both the casual and the competitive sides of the gamer rainbow and for me at least it would be a bummer if the series just stopped trying to achieve some semblance of balance after melee.

Do we know if the 3DS Final Destination will be the same as HD? I mean, Battlefield is different, however I vaguely remember Sakurai saying only most of the stages are different for both versions.

We don't know what 3DS FD looks like. The Direct was the first time any version of Final Destination was shown off, and it does look epic. I'm hoping the 3DS version of Final Destination is roughly the same.

Geez, seeing Palutena's Temple once again it's bigger than the Temple and New Pork City. heck It makes Godzilla look like a midget tongue.png (no offense intended with the word midget)

And yeah hope 3DS's FD is at least similar, cause I might even say it's the best looking FD in my opinion.

Part of me wants Smash 3DS throw everyone the granddaddy of curveballs and have its FD actually be a retro stage. Specifically, the Smash 64 FD.

250px-FinalDestinationSSB.png

It's never been a legitimately accessible stage for VS. Mode in any Smash game. It would be wonderful fanservice to revive it as Smash 3DS's own FD, and kinda act as the progenitor of all the other FDs brought out via FD Mode. Even include a remix of the Master Hand fight music for good measure. Money.

• Thumbs Up 6

As far as I'm concerned this is by far the best looking FD.

And I know how much other people hate giant stages, but honestly, I've always loved large stages. Lot's of room to wander around in. I can understand how some people would be frustrated as stupid idiots constantly running away, but I like large stages for the ability to drag the fight around all over the place and have fresh battles, whereas small stages are like: "eh... its the exact same thing every time time and it just gets plain boring..."

That said, I'll admit I didn't care for New Pork City. Hyrule Temple is probably my all-time favorite Smash Bros. stage, though. Granted, I'd far prefer stages based on actual Zelda locations rather than a generic temple vaguely based on the general notion of a Legend of Zelda temple (despite its awesome remix of the original temple music from Zelda 2).

Part of me wants Smash 3DS throw everyone the granddaddy of curveballs and have its FD actually be a retro stage. Specifically, the Smash 64 FD.

250px-FinalDestinationSSB.png

It's never been a legitimately accessible stage for VS. Mode in any Smash game. It would be wonderful fanservice to revive it as Smash 3DS's own FD, and kinda act as the progenitor of all the other FDs brought out via FD Mode. Even include a remix of the Master Hand fight music for good measure. Money.

And why can't we just have that stage back as a retro stage without having it replace what has to be the best Final Destination stage yet? Couldn't be that hard, and it could be brought back on both versions.

At the same time, I don't see the point... it doesn't look all that special.

Smash 64 FD has the benefit of never being a selectable stage before, like I mentioned. But it also has a cool little relic aesthetic on its floor that's a nice contrast to the techno-motif of Melee's FD, "Modern-temple" structure of Brawl FD, and elemental yin-yang of Wii U's FD.

Smash 3DS's Battlefield is visually different from Wii U's Battlefield, and I don't expect the Smash 3DS FD to be as visually awesome as Wii U's. So why not just go for nostalgia points and bring back the original; it's keen on bringing back Jungle Japes, may as well go all the way back to square one.

Today's picture:

2cmlr2a.jpg

Strike the pose. Wii Fit Studio's Trainer silhouette section apparently also leaves silhouette afterimages of the characters. Nice touch. Though why doesn't Miss Fit have her own silhouettes following her?...

Did Samus's hair change color?

Strike the pose. Wii Fit Studio's Trainer silhouette section will also leave silhouette afterimages of the characters. Nice touch. Though why doesn't Miss Fit have her own silhouettes following her?...

It looks suspiciously like her Brawl Down+B to me. It was already basically an airdodge that doubled as an extra jump and a recovery move - adding afterimages would make sense to me.

...what did they replace besides her UpB? I can't remember if Sakurai named a few or if I'm thinking of Sheik.

It looks suspiciously like her Brawl Down+B to me. It was already basically an airdodge that doubled as an extra jump and a recovery move - adding afterimages would make sense to me.

...what did they replace besides her UpB? I can't remember if Sakurai named a few or if I'm thinking of Sheik.

ZSS and Zelda had one move replaced, Sheik's the only one that had two moves replaced.

This doesn't appear to be all too interesting really. Just filller fodder. Yesterday's was better.

Was anyone around here of the opinion that Peach should get a new Final Smash?  An idea for a new Final Smash for Peach just hit me all of a sudden.  

She could call an army of toads, or the Toad Brigade, and have them attack with a giant cannon or attack with fire flowers en masse or something.  The exact method of attack isn't relevant, the point is the idea of calling on the toads to aid her in some way.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Peach gets a new final smash, I'd want it to be her attacking and not people doing the attacking for her, it would be cool to implement her emotions from the Super Princess Peach game on DS, or go completely out of the ball park and have her become Evil Peach from Paper Mario and wreck people's shit.

Her FS in Brawl was useless unless you needed some food badly, more attack power pls Sakurai.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd really love something hilariously unexpectedly violent for Peach like Villager's Final Smash is.

Out of SPP's vibe powers though I guess it'd have to be Rage.  I kind of like the idea of her constantly switching between them for her final Smash (like she floats around knocking people to the ground, runs around crying making everyone trip up before smashing around in a firey ball of rage) but that has very unfortunate implications that the base game already had to begin with.