Nintendoga

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

I honestly don't see a huge difference between how samus looks now and how she looked in the other smash bros and metroid games. You know, aside from the heels, which were probably intended to be more of a style thing than anything else. Smash Bros has always gone for overexaggerated and stylized depictions of their characters over practical ones. 

I've seen a few people say it looks like she's wearing some kind of makeup, and I initially thought the same thing, but I noticed that Link has a similar effect on HIS eyes. It's probably just an effect to make them look more intimidating. Or Link is wearing makeup. 

I honestly don't see a huge difference between how samus looks now and how she looked in the other smash bros and metroid games. You know, aside from the heels, which were probably intended to be more of a style thing than anything else. Smash Bros has always gone for overexaggerated and stylized depictions of their characters over practical ones. 

I've seen a few people say it looks like she's wearing some kind of makeup, and I initially thought the same thing, but I noticed that Link has a similar effect on HIS eyes. It's probably just an effect to make them look more intimidating. Or Link is wearing makeup. 

So that's why people keep calling him Zelda!

edited the delivery of the joke there hehe

for that matter, Samus is barely human at all, she has so much Chozo, metroid, and X DNA in her, then throw in some Phazon corruption, its surprising she hasnt started growing feathers or become translucent by now, heels should be the least of our worries, and in hindsight the old Nintendo power of her with purple hair might eventualy become accurate XD

I don't really see her as that much more sexualised than she did before either.  She has pretty much the same figure her modern look has always had (only the early games portrayed her as muscular or super tall etc).

I honestly think most of the aesthetic changes that make her look more attractive are basically just side effects of redesigning her for the higher graphical fidelity.

I guess I just don't see heels as being automatically a sexual thing.  I think they look cool and flashy.

While I'm still a little upset over Squirtle's removal, the fact that Charizard is a standalone character means they don't need to balance him with the other two Pokémon in mind and can focus on making him an absolute beast this time around. I'm incredibly excited to see what they do with him.

It looks like Charizard's Fair and Side Special have been changed to a claw swipe and Flare Blitz. Rock Smash, I can live without, but that cone of fire Charizard used for Fair was something I liked - low damage, no stun at the edge of the move, but wonderful knockback and angle if hit with the beginning of the cone. Shame it's seemingly been changed to a regular claw move that really makes his arm look like it belongs on Ridley, lol.

WUPP_AX_scrnC23_32_Ev04a.bmp-noscale.jpg

Though, that claw move may have autocancel properties, or at least have an animation for when Zard hits ground. ooooooooooor that could be his Jab, lol

WUPP_AX_scrnC23_10_Ev04a.bmp-noscale.jpg

It makes me wonder what else has been changed or replaced. Nair has stayed the same, but we haven't seen what his Uair, Dair, and Bair are. And obviously Down Special has got to change. Maybe Blast Burn to reference the starter-only Hyper Beams, while Greninja's content to embrace his inner ninja?

The issue is, I think, that Samus is a character that people have thought of as a well-respected and modest character apparently? I'm not so sure about the controversy, either. 

Actually, scratch that.

It's not that she's sexy, it's that she may be turning into a sex object. Those are two different things. Earlier games gave her sex appeal, but she was still respectable. Other M dumbed her down a lot, apparently. I think that's what the issue is?

I think this Samus looks pretty similar to the one in Brawl. The only differences I see is that she looks more stylized and has those high heels. But the high heels, whilst standing out a lot compared to the rest of her design are at least useful and not just stilettos from Other M. They have a function, allowing her to fly and stuff! I don't even know for sure if this is the same Samus from Other M, since her face looks similar to Brawl's (albeit ten times better) and she probably won't be voiced by Jessica Martin though we'll have to find out once the game comes out of course.

So its a bad thing when samus is being sexualized? 

Whats wrong with a sexy character? Will people be mad if Bayonetta gets in?

It's not really exclusively the fact that she's being sexualized so much as it is her tougher amazon image being put aside for sex appeal. 

I kinda don't know how some people aren't seeing what makes this design different. It's not really just the heels, although those are beyond silly. She's given several subtle changes to make her seem more feminine, including a beauty mark, an adjusted figure, and suit coloration that draws attention to these adjustments. The heels I guess are just an easy thing to go after since they pretty obviously favor aesthetics over functionality. Try doing badass space warrior shit in heels. YOU CAN'T EVEN DO IT WITHOUT THEM.

To clarify, I'm not really up in arms about this. I don't dislike the design or anything (I sitll think it looks good) and I'm not trying to pretentiously tell anyone what they should or should not think is offensive. I just think the motive of the design is sorta lame. 

It's not that she's sexy, it's that she may be turning into a sex object. Those are two different things. Earlier games gave her sex appeal, but she was still respectable. Other M dumbed her down a lot, apparently. I think that's what the issue is?

It's this, basically. That was a lot more succinct than what I said. 

Say, I just had a thought, we all know how much Sakurai loves Kirby, what if instead of a new character he creates a new class of items that are Kirby's Animal friends from DL2 and 3, and they give a new standard move and affect movement characteristics(better jump, glide, etc) until they receive a certian amount of damage, and any of the 6 of them could show up

Say, I just had a thought, we all know how much Sakurai loves Kirby, what if instead of a new character he creates a new class of items that are Kirby's Animal friends from DL2 and 3, and they give a new standard move and affect movement characteristics(better jump, glide, etc) until they receive a certian amount of damage, and any of the 6 of them could show up

That would be pretty cool, they could work like the assist trophies except unlike just watching them go around and wreck people, you use them to wreck people.

The whole "jet boots" argument is missing the point- they could have just as easily made the same case for jet sneakers, jet sandals or just plain strapping rockets to the back of her calves.  The choice to make the jet boots heels is the issue here.  I don't have a problem with the heels in and of themselves- accentuating sexuality of a character isn't inherently sexist.  Bayonetta uses them and they mesh perfectly with her playful personality and flashy fighting style.  Thing is that Samus isn't Bayonetta.  She's almost the opposite- stoic, task-driven and mindful.  Y'know, pretty much the opposite of what heels embody.  They could definitely work if she was more outgoing, but I doubt a spinoff fighting game is going to create enough meaningful character development to justify it.

Clearly what we need is a redesign

Only took 10 hours in MSPaint

Hahaha this made my day! Thanks a lot! :P

Yeah I honestly don't see the problem , Sakurai and the team were faithful with Other M's ZSS. And her face looks much better than the Brawl model. In fact I think while slightly funny, the jet boots are a great addition, and it makes sense with those giant leaps, it only makes sense she would propel herself with them.

This is probably the only time im going to post on this but how the heck are jet heels, JET HEELS, that are in no way even the slightest bit  hot or anything but just made to look cool even remotely close to sexualizing a character? Seriously am I missing something here cause I am just not seeing it, I don't see whats so different about her face (besides the fact that it actually has expression now), I don't see how her suit is any worse now when its basically the same but with a bit more emphasized blue on in a couple of areas (which to me actually does look better but different strokes for different folks I guess), and I don't see how giving her a mole is sexualizing when I can barely even see the thing on her face, in fact I never even noticed it until someone brought it up and I had to look intently at the picture at and even then I still hardly see it.

I don't know how the standards for sexualization sudden changed over the course of that direct but I just honestly can't see how any of this is more than what was already done before and yeah, while I may not pay as much attention to metroid since im not that big a fan I honestly don't think this is something to start going up in arms over.

Edit: also this isn't directed at you specifically spiky, its just something thats been really bothering me about this whole debacle.

It's not just the heels, though. The only reason they're the first thing to be brought up is because they're literally glowing yellow and completely unnecessary. 

j5IVXN1D7Lq0M.jpg

Her boobs are bigger than before, she's got dark spots and lines added to the suit to draw your eyes to her tits and ass, an added beauty mark (albeit from Other M) and... high heels. Her movements also look like something I'd expect from Bayonetta. 

Maybe I'm just misremembering, but I don't remember Brawl being as bad about this, or any Metroid game for that matter. Other M was stupid about it too, but it's at least not as bad at a glance. Of course, her character was completely fucked but you get the idea. 

I just don't like the idea of anime uguu mascara sexy samus. Didn't like it before, and I don't like seeing them get progressively worse about it every time she appears. There's more than enough sex appeal in gaming as is, there's just no need to make Samus an addition to the list.

I'm not outraged or whatever, but it's irksome. Metroid's characters and tone are my favorite things about it.

Can someone please elaborate on how and why ZSS looked "ugly" in Brawl? I never saw anything wrong with it, and it was really cool that her face looked like an average person instead of 10/10.

It's because she suffered from a horrific case of the uncanny valley in Brawl (not the first time, see the Prime games). She looks far more like a barbie doll (ie, incredibly artificial) than she does here - makeup or not, this version of Samus actually has a face that looks natural and emotive.

It's not just the heels, though. The only reason they're the first thing to be brought up is because they're literally glowing yellow and completely unnecessary. 

Her boobs are bigger than before, she's got dark spots and lines added to the suit to draw your eyes to her tits and ass, an added beauty mark (albeit from Other M) and... high heels. Her movements also look like something I'd expect from Bayonetta. 

Maybe I'm just misremembering, but I don't remember Brawl being as bad about this, or any Metroid game for that matter. Other M was stupid about it too, but it's at least not as bad at a glance. Of course, her character was completely fucked but you get the idea. 

I just don't like the idea of anime uguu mascara sexy samus. Didn't like it before, and I don't like seeing them get progressively worse about it every time she appears. There's more than enough sex appeal in gaming as is, there's just no need to make Samus an addition to the list.

I'm not outraged or whatever, but it's irksome. Metroid's characters and tone are my favorite things about it.

Well, to be honest I barely care about any of those things, in fact, I think half of these are really reaching to find problems with it. And those black lines around her eyes are probably to make the eyes come out more to make them look sharp, Link has this same effect on his eyes, and so does Zelda to an extent. I mean most of this stuff looks like something to look cool, flashy, and awesome compared to practical, like a lot of things in Smash Bros. really. Personally I think the heels look badass and add a contrast to her overall blue outfit.

While her movements are a bit exaggerated, they don't really look like something Samus wouldn't do to get the best possible results from her attacks, as well as her fluidity. I don't really expect a character like Samus to look stiff outside of her suit, considering she can curl up into a ball smaller than our blue hedgehog himself.

Wow. All I focused on is how kick-ass jet heels are. I didn't realize that people were looking at this sexually.

I didn't even notice the breast size thing myself until everybody started bringing it up. Also, maybe its because I don't know what mascara is but what exactly is wrong with samus' face compared to before? Its just brightened up (and like a mentioned before a bit more expressive).