Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

When you say New Clothes Toon Link, do you mean the outfit he wears on Outset Island?

Ehh, I still think Zora link could possibly work as a alt. he's around the same height as Link and is designed very similarly as far as proportions go.

Ordon Link is most likely, seeing as Link is based off of his Twilight Princess design

He could also have an alt based off of his Skyward Sword or Ocarina of Time designs, though

As far as alts go, I don't know if it's asking much but it would be really nice if I could choose my own colours from a pallete or something. If only because I'm massively biased towards purples, and the only one of my mains which has a purple-dominant alt is Dedede.

On another topic I've been thinking about customization lately, and even though I feel the inability to use it in random matches is a massively missed opportunity I still can't help but get a little excited for some of the possibilities it brings. You could give Ganon a completely new moveset and make most of his old moves customization options for Falcon for those still invested in the playstyle (and the same again for Fox, too - can you imagine him with Falco's blaster?). You could make legacy versions of existing moves available again, like SSB64 Link's Spin Attack. Hell, it's already given me a new outlook on some moves I previously thought to be practically useless, like the variations on Mario's fireball, and I can't wait to see more of them. Anyone else been thinking about these?

I wouldn't expect the customization to be enough to completely replicate a "clone" character like Ganondorf on the character they were cloned from. So far we've only seen modified special moves, and while there's plenty of time for them to surprise me, I don't think it's likely that we'll be able to modify much else. Final Smashes, maybe, but probably not all of the A moves and throws.

It's still a really interesting addition, though, even if ends up being just for specials. I know there's a few moves on my usual characters that I don't get much use out of as they are, and even the ones that I do, it'll be interesting to try some variations.

When you say New Clothes Toon Link, do you mean the outfit he wears on Outset Island?

Ehh, I still think Zora link could possibly work as a alt. he's around the same height as Link and is designed very similarly as far as proportions go.

When you beat the game, you get the "Hero's New Clothes" on New Game +. Basically, yeah, Toon Link's default outfit, because the "Hero's New Clothes" is just blank. Its the only name I could think of for it.

I guess Zora Link could work as an alt for Link, but it'd be way different... I'm not sure Sakurai would do a customization that severe. Perhaps.

As far as alts go, I don't know if it's asking much but it would be really nice if I could choose my own colours from a pallete or something. If only because I'm massively biased towards purples, and the only one of my mains which has a purple-dominant alt is Dedede.

On another topic I've been thinking about customization lately, and even though I feel the inability to use it in random matches is a massively missed opportunity I still can't help but get a little excited for some of the possibilities it brings. You could give Ganon a completely new moveset and make most of his old moves customization options for Falcon for those still invested in the playstyle (and the same again for Fox, too - can you imagine him with Falco's blaster?). You could make legacy versions of existing moves available again, like SSB64 Link's Spin Attack. Hell, it's already given me a new outlook on some moves I previously thought to be practically useless, like the variations on Mario's fireball, and I can't wait to see more of them. Anyone else been thinking about these?

I'm not so sure that alts like that may be outright denied, I think it would be a missed opportunity. One way they could incorporate that is by having some characters as new skins of existing characters, but with a "preset" custom moveset that changes them slightly. In matches where you're doing a random match and can't create customizations, you could choose this character skin that has a preset customization and it would keep that preset.

Just an idea, not sure if it would be incorporated.

I wouldn't expect the customization to be enough to completely replicate a "clone" character like Ganondorf on the character they were cloned from. So far we've only seen modified special moves, and while there's plenty of time for them to surprise me, I don't think it's likely that we'll be able to modify much else. Final Smashes, maybe, but probably not all of the A moves and throws.

It's still a really interesting addition, though, even if ends up being just for specials. I know there's a few moves on my usual characters that I don't get much use out of as they are, and even the ones that I do, it'll be interesting to try some variations.

I don't think he means to that extent, just that Ganondorf's old special attacks would be available as customizations for Captain Falcon. They really are just older versions of Ganondorf's attacks.

So far custom movesets only apply to special attacks. The only other things I could see are speed and power levels for moving and attacking, but not much more than that, and we don't even know if that'd be available. If speed and power levels were available, you would basically be able to recreate a clone character like Ganondorf (not like Wolf though).

Did people miss that she was horribly over-sexualized in Other M, and Smash is just taking from there?

Did people miss that she was horribly over-sexualized in Other M, and Smash is just taking from there?

Was she? It might be since I haven't played through the whole game yet but how exactly was she over sexualized? I don't mind spoilers since honestly the stories pretty bland so far in other M.

daily-5.jpg

Pic of the day. For the first time in the Smash series, Beam Swords will feature graduated colors. The attack item on the left is the Fire Bar. This is a peculiar weapon that becomes shorter after.

I really like how both items look. I kinda want them to give the Beam Sword more attacks though such as Beam Sword UTilt, DTilt and NAir.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Loving the Fire Bar item. Looks really cool! =D

And yes Other M over sexualised Samus quite a bit, mostly in the cutscenes. Ass shots and such. And she was wearing those high heels which were totally unnecessary, at least compared to the jet high heels in Smash Bros 4.

Really, the team has to adhere to the rule that certain characters whose designs tend to change with each game has to use the latest game's design. And in Samus' case, that was Other M. Brawl used Samus' Prime designs (including the uncanny-valley-inducing ZSS design). I imagine some on the Smash 4 team were also a little uncomfortable about the whole high-heels thing - it's likely they intentionally chose the rather jarring colour use for the jet shoes to highlight them and make people think "hey, doesn't that look kinda ridiculous"?

Long story short, this is all Sakamoto's fault. The Smash 4 team can only do so much to make the design(s) look less shitty without changing it completely.

Dang is other M that bad? I need to check this game out

It was a game that betrayed Metroid fans by turning Samus into a generic female character and a...mess of other things involving what men think a woman is like. Not sure if it's even worth checking out if you respect Samus.

Anyway, on topic, I don't mind the heels...sort of. I'm used to seeing heels on characters; hell, Raiden from the Metal Gear series has heels and they gave him a pretty good advantage. It gave an extra appendage on the foot for grasping, but if they don't take advantage of this then yes, the heels are probably useless. If she doesn't move like a ninja then not sure why they would go for the choice, it goes straight back to the generic female character problem.

Isn't that the same pose Mario uses for his Home Run swing? Or does his Fsmash just happen to have similar frames? It's been ages since I ever played as him.

To be honest I just don't get the Fire Bar, because its main gimmick is a drawback - unless it hits like an absolute motherfucker or replenishes over time you'll literally have no reason to choose one over a Beam Sword or an Ore Club. What other point would there be in a melee weapon with an ammo count?

What I’m thinking is that after you’ve used up all of the flames on the Fire Bar, you’ll be able to throw the block that’s connected to the handle for a lot of damage or knockback or something. It would give players more of a reason to use up all of its “ammo”, too.

The Beam Sword looks nice; it’s neat how it goes from blue to red to fit the theme of the game. I also like how it’s more sword-shaped on the end than it was in Brawl.

Anyway, on topic, I don't mind the heels...sort of. I'm used to seeing heels on characters; hell, Raiden from the Metal Gear series has heels and they gave him a pretty good advantage. It gave an extra appendage on the foot for grasping, but if they don't take advantage of this then yes, the heels are probably useless. If she doesn't move like a ninja then not sure why they would go for the choice, it goes straight back to the generic female character problem.

Except Raiden's heels aren't rockets like ZSS. They seem to double as a thumb for his feet. And on top of that Metal Gear didn't differentiate between men and women having cyborg high heels (even Monsoon had heels) which, despite looking ridiculous, is far more trivial to complain about. Nevermind the other ridiculous stuff that goes on in the series that it doesn't always expect you to take with a straight face.

It's a different story for Samus when people look at her as though her new design still has connections to Other M, which leads to these discussions because why the hell would you make her rockets high heels instead of giving her more practical-looking rocket boots?

Just figured I'd make that distinction.

To be honest I just don't get the Fire Bar, because its main gimmick is a drawback - unless it hits like an absolute motherfucker or replenishes over time you'll literally have no reason to choose one over a Beam Sword or an Ore Club. What other point would there be in a melee weapon with an ammo count?

Well it's not like you have a choice what appears in battle (that is, while the battle is going on, not changing the item settings). If the fire bar shows up first, it doesn't really matter that it isn't the best weapon, it's (probably) better than having nothing.

Plus you could always throw the thing at someone to hurt them. Even the most useless item in Smash Bros had that benefit.

Except Raiden's heels aren't rockets like ZSS. They seem to double as a thumb for his feet. And on top of that Metal Gear didn't differentiate between men and women having cyborg high heels (even Monsoon had heels) which, despite looking ridiculous, is far more trivial to complain about. Nevermind the other ridiculous stuff that goes on in the series that it doesn't always expect you to take with a straight face.

It's a different story for Samus when people look at her as though her new design still has connections to Other M, which leads to these discussions because why the hell would you make her rockets high heels instead of giving her more practical-looking rocket boots?

Just figured I'd make that distinction.

Aye I know, I was just using it as an example instead of her having them as heels for the hell of it, especially considering the screenshots have shown that the exhaust comes out from the whole shoe rather than just the heel, making it a little redundant to have said heel.

Besides, lets face it, no series can have ridiculous designs like MGS and what not have without satiring the series.

By this logic we'd get rid of the regular Hammer because the Super Hammer was added.  I agree with Diogenes.  I like having a mixture of always-reliable items and clunkier, trickier to use ones.

• Thumbs Up 1

Meanwhile, there seems to be another leak, this time brought by the same person who predicted Villager, Megaman and Wi-Fit Trainer:

Honestly, i'm not totally convinced.

Meanwhile, there seems to be another leak, this time brought by the same person who predicted Villager, Megaman and Wi-Fit Trainer:

Honestly, i'm not totally convinced.

You do realize that the guy's original "leak" said his "unlikely predictions", right? The guy just got lucky, it wasn't a leak.

That video? BS. Who would predict Megaman? EVERYONE. Especially since he was the next most requested addition in Brawl.

And this idiot is so generic by saying "Pokemon from Pokemon X and Y." Someone leaking information about the game would know exactly who it was. That's why I don't believe it.

The main issue here is that the grand majority of these suggestions are fairly obvious. Wii Fit Trainer is the only questionable one he got right.

You do realize that the guy's original "leak" said his "unlikely predictions", right? The guy just got lucky, it wasn't a leak.

No, the guy who posted the leak said that. Sal Romano, the actual leaker, sent him the info via PM so he decided to put it forward as his "unlikely predictions" instead of posting "inside info" with no proof that it's inside info and looking stupid when it turns out to not be inside info.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wii Fit Trainer is the one character from an array of casual audience-focused Wii-originating IPs that, aside from gender, remains a constant, with no customization options or default option. Unless there's someone from Wii Music that I'm missing.

From a business perspective - "Who can we include in this game that can serve as one of the faces of our vast game library, that would also guarantee us profit when the game hits the shelves?" - Wii Fit Trainer makes a fair amount of sense.