Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Yay that's awesome...

For those living in the US! Why don't we Europeans get something cool like that? DX

We will probably get something similar like a month after the event. Like the tour Nintendo did around Christmas that had a lot of the games (minus mario kart) that beat buy had at their stores, but a few DS ones too...at least I hope they do something over here

Yay that's awesome...

For those living in the US! Why don't we Europeans get something cool like that? DX

Because they don't believe we have a market here.

10257813_542724735845345_617476677177465

Go-go-gadget Hookshot.

But hey, it's consistent with the Hookshot in the Zelda games now. :P

Yeah, i'm betting on Maximilian being one of the people invited: he's a fighting game pro/fan, and he expressed tons of interest for Smash Bros. tournaments.

The entire tournament is run perfectly, everyone watching is awed, and Super Smash Brothers enters a new age with 200 people regularly entering locals

Now that's just crazy talk

The only issue with a Smash Bros. tournament like this...? Nobody is going to know anything at all about how the game's quirks are compared to past games until they play it. Which may actually be a good thing somewhat, because it brings people closer to the same level. High level players won't be able to predict how their characters compare to other characters.

It will be interesting to see, though I'm betting they will have some practice matches before hand so people can get used to the controls.

Now, my question is: will the whole cast be revealed at E3 or just a few new ones? If so, will they all be playable? That'll be interesting to see.

I have a feeling new characters won't be playable. It would be very nice though to see how they do with players

It would be just like Sakurai and Nintendo to reveal a character at the end of the Invitational. The whole of the internet would be watching this tournament going down and seeing how the game is played, so that would be a great time to show it.

Especially if they make the finals match 1-match only. The last two players can relocate to a new, unused setup, play their match, and the "CHALLENGER APPROACHING" screen can pop up because that one match fulfilled the "Play X number of matches" objective that has always been one of the character requirements since Melee. People would have gotten their fill once the match concluded, thinking it was over, only to be hyped all over again because a character was unlocked.

If Mewtwo is back, this would be the perfect moment to show it. It's technically not a newcomer, so a CG trailer like the rest of the newcomers would be inconsistent and unnecessary, and its return has been desired by both competitive and casual players alike, what better way to bring it in than this invitational? It beats confirming its return in a standard update.

Plus, the idea of Mew2King being the one to unlock it and fight it on the livestream is hilarious to me.

Now, my question is: will the whole cast be revealed at E3 or just a few new ones? If so, will they all be playable? That'll be interesting to see.

Like i said in the other thread: considering the 3DS version will come out this summer and both versions have the same roster, that mean E3 will probably be the last event were new characters will be shown. Best case scenario is that the 3DS version will come out by the end of August and there will be Nintendo Directs in between.

Like i said in the other thread: considering the 3DS version will come out this summer and both versions have the same roster, that mean E3 will probably be the last event were new characters will be shown. Best case scenario is that the 3DS version will come out by the end of August and there will be Nintendo Directs in between.

actualy the 3DS version could come out late as september and I wouldnt be surprised if sakurai has a couple tricks up his sleeve to keep a few characters hidden till the Wii-u release

actualy the 3DS version could come out late as september and I wouldnt be surprised if sakurai has a couple tricks up his sleeve to keep a few characters hidden till the Wii-u release

Characters could be hidden until the Wii U release if after the Wii U releases, they provide a way to unlock those characters via Spotpass or something. Granted, even then, they'd still need to have the data on the 3DS, so hackers could hack in and figure that out anyway, so I doubt that'd work very well.

We'll see. Maybe they will reveal the whole roster, but depending on how late in Summer it comes out, as you say, we may get a Nintendo Direct in between.

At least by E3 we should know if Namco has a character in or not. There's no way they'd surprise us and announce Pac-Man in a regular direct.

4rt4dd.jpg

Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 Princess Toadstool confirmed.

Pic of the day. With the Super Leaf, any fighter can have ears and a tail. You can also float in the air by pressing the jump button. We're still figuring out whether you'll be able to attack with the tail...

Sounds like characters who use the Super Leaf get a Peach-like float ability.

Not sure about whether to include an attack with the tail - a tail sweep attack doesn't fit into the Swing/Shoot/Throw types of items that everyone has animations for, so that would mean programming a whole new set of animations for a single move. Unless simply turning the other way creates a hitbox with the tail...

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, I can't imagine the animation for the attack would be more complicated than "stick out butt, rotate body," so adding an attack for it should definitely be feasible.  Although there is the issue of doing distinct tilts and smashes for it...  Tough call...

Anyway, I'm curious to see what characters like Fox or Pikachu will look like with the Raccoon features, since they already have very distinct ears and tails.

I dunno, there's something hilarious about seeing Marth with a raccoon tail and ears... Toon Link just doesn't seem as odd because he's a, well, toony character, but Marth? He's from a far more serious and mature franchise. Yeah, there's humor in FE, but the games tend to be quite dark with wars constantly going on in every installment.

Granted, the Bunny Hood has the same feel, but this one is much more noticeable.

And now you have an official way to play your Sonic/Marine fusion fan character, Sorine! Or is it Maronic? I dunno, sounds pretty Maronic to me! *rimshot*

• Thumbs Up 2

They could easily have specific attacks for the Tail...

(Side-Tilt) Would be the regular Tail Spin

(Down-Tilt) Is the crouching tail-spin

(Side Smash) Would give you a Multiple-tail spin(2 spins)

(Down Smash) Would give Multiple-crouching tail spin(2 spins)

(Dash attack) Could be a weaker yet moving version of the Down or Side smash attacks for the Tail.

Well, it's pretty clear that there's going to be a huge Smash Bros. information blowout at E3, so I wouldn't be surprised if the invitational players are given the option of using one or several new characters first revealed then and there on stage (but presumably known to the players themselves from the practice matches they'll have been allowed beforehand).  I really like the idea of the winner suddenly being challenged by Sakurai himself using another new character, though; that'd be a huge "wow" moment.  ...The more I think about it, the more I think they should do that.

As for how they'll handle everyone knowing the roster once the 3DS version is out... well, they could hold back some characters from the 3DS version for a free update to coincide with the release of the Wii U version, but I don't know if everyone would be happy about that.  They could also have some characters in the 3DS version hidden and under extremely restrictive conditions to unlock, but far more accessible in the Wii U version.  So there are options, I think, although I sense it's most likely that the Wii U will simply have enough cool extra features on its own to compete.

Well, it's pretty clear that there's going to be a huge Smash Bros. information blowout at E3, so I wouldn't be surprised if the invitational players are given the option of using one or several new characters first revealed then and there on stage (but presumably known to the players themselves from the practice matches they'll have been allowed beforehand).  I really like the idea of the winner suddenly being challenged by Sakurai himself using another new character, though; that'd be a huge "wow" moment.  ...The more I think about it, the more I think they should do that.

As for how they'll handle everyone knowing the roster once the 3DS version is out... well, they could hold back some characters from the 3DS version for a free update to coincide with the release of the Wii U version, but I don't know if everyone would be happy about that.  They could also have some characters in the 3DS version hidden and under extremely restrictive conditions to unlock, but far more accessible in the Wii U version.  So there are options, I think, although I sense it's most likely that the Wii U will simply have enough cool extra features on its own to compete.

My thought pretty much is that the Wii U version will have its own features. One major feature I could see working out is a new character skin system, and I don't just mean alternate versions of the same character, I mean some new characters as skins, with their own model, name, voice, and recolors. However, they'd be the same size as and play identical to the main character they are based on (unlike the case with "clones" in past games, which varied a bit more despite essentially being clones).

If they do it well, they might even be able to set a "default" custom moveset on these character skins, so when they're used in modes that don't allow for custom movesets, they still have slightly different moves from the main character. This kind of feature is something that might be left out of the 3DS version due to size restrictions but added as free DLC later (or just not added at all, as they're not technically "new" characters).

Dunno, just a thought. We'll definitely get stage reveals, music reveals, and game mode reveals for the Wii U version after the 3DS version releases.

What happens to characters that already have a tail? Does it replace their existing one? Goddamnit, now I want to see how Pikachu and Diddy look with a leaf on.

Unless simply turning the other way creates a hitbox with the tail...

Oh shit, weaponized dash dancing? Now I have to see this.

• Thumbs Up 1