Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Dark Meta Knight is a bonus boss

But yeah they're probably not going to reveal anything for tomorrow. They don't really pay attention to release dates outside Japan, I think.

Diddy Kong was announced around the Western release of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Dark Meta Knight is a bonus boss

But yeah they're probably not going to reveal anything for tomorrow. They don't really pay attention to release dates outside Japan, I think.

DK tropical freeze us release date was the only game the got mention from sakurai and revealed diddy.

Lol I was too slow

Diddy was revealed on the Western release date because Little Mac was revealed on the Direct first.

Monday - Picture of a darkhorse ensemble character that's just as popular as the main characters of the series.

Tuesday - Picture of a buffed-up recovery mechanic

Wednesday - Picture of a method of recovery.

Thursday - Picture of an invincible, all-powerful enemy.

Fan-favorite, recovery focus, and OP entities? Kirby game out tomorrow?

Meta_Knight(Clear).png

Let's go.

You got a point there, I could believe that, unless Sakurai pulled the true joke, and made Midna's true form playable

Diddy was revealed on the Western release date because Little Mac was revealed on the Direct first.

The same case could probably be made for Meta Knight and Dedede though

Heh, I mean, know what would be possible, hilarious and a total troll move from Sakurai? if he made Midna's True  form playable, I mean it would be out of nowhere, but on the other hand full Midna is a blank slate, but a magic user.... extremely unlikely but on the other hand, well Sakurai has done more bizarre things before

Heh, I mean, know what would be possible, hilarious and a total troll move from Sakurai? if he made Midna's True  form playable, I mean it would be out of nowhere, but on the other hand full Midna is a blank slate, but a magic user.... extremely unlikely but on the other hand, well Sakurai has done more bizarre things before

Lol, yeah, don't think so. I'd rather them announce Isaac right now than a new character from an existing franchise (unless its a veteran fighter).

Plus, so far, we've had new character from Big 3, new IP character, then new character from Big 3 again. If they follow this, then its new IP character next. In theory, though, we won't get another new character until E3 anyway, so its a moot point.

Honestly, that'd be kind of a dumb thing to do. Midna's more well-known form is already an Assist Trophy, so it wouldn't make a lick of sense to have two different versions of the same character as both a playable and an NPC. There's no precedent for this sort of thing, anyway.

I'm curious. Do you guys think the 3DS version will support alternate skins, or will that feature probably be Wii U exclusive? Or perhaps only specific characters will get skins in that version.

I'm curious. Do you guys think the 3DS version will support alternate skins, or will that feature probably be Wii U exclusive? Or perhaps only specific characters will get skins in that version.

I think the 3DS will support at least alternate costumes. I do find it incredibly possible and likely that the Wii U version may have alternate skins that are other characters, though. These would have to have their own name and voice at least, but it'd be easier adding a larger variety of characters that way than adding them with their own entirely original movesets (especially in cases where the characters in the games play very similar, RPG's being a good example like Mother, Fire Emblem, and Golden Sun; assuming Golden Sun is in of course).

As for the 3DS version, that's more questionable. Its possible that they may provide alternate characters through Spotpass or something like that, but not necessarily directly in the game itself due to size restrictions. That would all depend, though.

Oh man, if we could have an Alt for Marth that turns him into Lucina with a voice and look change, I'd totally want that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh man, if we could have an Alt for Marth that turns him into Lucina with a voice and look change, I'd totally want that.

That's basically what I think is likely to happen. Lucina already has voices in Awakening, they wouldn't need to record anything new (unless they actually want her to speak words or something). Lucas, Roy, and Falco could come back as alts, too. (This idea would not have worked with Toon Link, notably, due to him being so much smaller than Link.)

I'm gonna backtrack to talking about the online mode of this game, because after talking about it with some friends of mine and giving it a lot of thought, I'm actually not liking how the online stuff for this game is sounding so far. I'm HOPING it turns out well, because Brawl's online was completely shitty. I'd love to be able to do online Smash matches and have fun doing it!

But here, let me explain my reasoning for being worried about the online mode this time around. For one thing, I don't like the Global Smash Power thing. I would actually prefer a normal leaderboard. Showing how many people you're better than is fine, that's a good idea- but here's the problem: It doesn't show you how you compare to people who are above you. People are gonna be posting their scores and figuring this out anyways, but my point is, the user shouldn't have to do arbitrary things to find out a statistic that is vital to competitive play: You WANT to know your standing, so that you have motivation to improve. Having a number 1 in my mind is a good thing- I know other people have different perspectives, but I am of course speaking from my own.

It kinda comes off as Sakurai trying to avoid hurting people's feelings, honestly. Which, if you're gonna get your feelings hurt by not being the best... don't play competitively to begin with? It's in the name of the playstyle: It's a competition to become the best, ergo you must have the determination to improve. And casual players AREN'T typically going to care WHERE they stand, as long as they have fun. Every player has their preferred playstyle of course, but this is a bad way to try to cater to multiple playstyles. It's like meeting the competitive players halfway just so they don't scare off the casual players, when the casual players mostly won't care anyways.

And that's just one of my issues; the other is the rules put in place for bans. On paper, they sound somewhat reasonable, but then you think how easily it could lead to people who aren't intentionally doing some of the things to get banned, and that it's a bit hard to prove who IS doing some of the things intentionally.

Let's go over them, in order of sensibility:
Cheating: The most reasonable to ban people, the one I have no qualms with. Usually easily provable, too.
Falsely reporting other users: Could get a bit subjective depending on a match... there could be a player who thinks an advanced technique is cheating in a match, because they don't know how to do it and never have seen it before. Would said person get banned for reporting that? For example, seeing someone wavedashing for the first time (though I don't know if it is in Smash 4, it is just an example).
Intentionally going after one player in a 4-player match: Well, what if there's one player who is kicking everyone's asses equally, and their stock is higher than everyone else? It would be fair to prioritize them in my mind, because they are the biggest threat.
Repeated self destructs: What if someone sucks at the game and doesn't know how to recover properly, or doesn't know that certain characters have more jumps, and end up killing themselves because of these things?
Starting a match and not playing: What if something urgent came up, like they had an emergency phonecall after a match started, and couldn't just drop out of the match, because it required absolutely urgent attention? A timer system for inactivity should be in place, instead. A player not moving for like 3 minutes could get kicked out of a match, for example. It shouldn't be a bannable offense unless provably intentional.
Frequently dropping out of matches: I guess if you have shit internet, you're not allowed to play online? Also, it can coincide with the above thing too somewhat. What if you have a busy schedule, and have to drop out of a match early because something comes up? Maybe your work calls you in early, or something.

I just hope it's gonna be somewhat lenient about these things. Only the most extreme and provable cases should really be punished by banning, in my mind.

I'm pretty sure they're not going to ban people just for flaking out of one or two matches; it's going to be people who are repeatedly breaking the guidelines. None of the things they mentioned seem unreasonable to me, and there's no reason to think they're going to bring down the dictatorial iron fist on people over it.

Also anyone whose internet is so shitty that they're constantly dropping out of matches is already functionally not able to play online, banned or not.

• Thumbs Up 7

Eh, I guess that's true. And I assume there's gonna be SOME way to contest unfair bans, and of course, such things would have to be looked over carefully. But pretty much, I have a cautiously optimistic view on the online for now. I have learned not to get hyped for things or assume they will be great, by all the burns I've had in the past. Hell, Brawl itself is a great example:  Random Tripping basically ruined any enjoyment I could've had with the game, even for casual play, because it could screw up a good match at any moment. And the latency/stability of the online mode made it basically worthless.

Hell, project M basically fixes all my issues with Brawl, ironically. Faster, no input lag (seriously what was up with that being in Brawl?), and no tripping. And yes, I know my main issue with Brawl (the tripping) is already confirmed not to be in Smash 4.

Edited by Shade Vortex

I'm pretty sure they're not going to ban people just for flaking out of one or two matches; it's going to be people who are repeatedly breaking the guidelines. None of the things they mentioned seem unreasonable to me, and there's no reason to think they're going to bring down the dictatorial iron fist on people over it.

Also anyone whose internet is so shitty that they're constantly dropping out of matches is already functionally not able to play online, banned or not.

This is something I would probably try doing a couple of times to see how well my internet stacks up, and if my internet constantly boots me out I just don't play online. That's really all you can do. Fully agreed, if you don't have an internet connection that allows you to play effectively online... don't play online.

I myself actually have pretty good internet, I was just worried about one of my less-fortunate friends who I would like to play online with. But I suppose I'll just have to accept that he won't be able to play the game much online anyways, if at all.

Honestly, I don't really mind not seeing where I stack up against other people so long as I know im being paired with people of equal or higher skill level, so long as I can have matches like those seeing the ranking would just be for bragging rights and nothing more. Its not something that I would mind being visible but its definitely something I can live without and as mentioned before, most people on the top would probably have just hacked their score to be higher than everyone else's or just use some exploit so even if there was a leaderboard it wouldn't be all too handy.

Having a "Numbah 1" type of ranking system is really not reliable when there are obviously gonna be troll-ish people who hack their games for even small stuff like this ranking system and the possibility of going up against people who are way above or way below your skill level making for some seriously underwhelming, Overwhelming or extremely One sided matches.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aw... I always thought it would've been cool to see Dillon as a playable fighter, as low as the chances were. I haven't played his games, but they definitely seem like one of the cooler new IPs from Nintendo.

Still, it's great to see him in the game as an Assist Trophy all the same.

Lol that is hilarious, Sonic's like "what the fuck bro! I'm the one who does the rolling!"

While I'm excited to see Dillon in the game in some form, I'm also sorely disappointed that he isn't playable. Aw well, maybe next time.

Ah, dammit. Dillon was one of my most wanted newcomers. Deserves more of a place than Greninja, at any rate.