Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

It really doesn't.

Mewtwo's big Smash debut amounted to sucking crap and having one of the most awkward playstyles I've ever handled. At least Jigglypuff proved to be a worthwhile fighter despite the fanboy deficit.

Plus, for what it's worth, Lucario already took the best bits of Mewtwo's style and reworked them admirably. I don't know that there's much room for Mewtwo to cover.

• Thumbs Up 1

Then... make him not awkward? I'm not sure why that's suddenly not an option.

Uh, guys? You're forgetting something.

Jigglypuff is going to be the best damn counter to Little Mac. Ever.

• Thumbs Up 2

Then... make him not awkward? I'm not sure why that's suddenly not an option.

That would require heavily reworking his character, which seems a waste of effort given that Lucario accomplishes the same purpose such a reworking would. 

Mewtwo's big Smash debut amounted to sucking crap and having one of the most awkward playstyles I've ever handled. At least Jigglypuff proved to be a worthwhile fighter despite the fanboy deficit.

Mewtwo's playstyle is one that is potentially interesting and has so much more room for creativity.  It was a flawed playstyle due to bad design decisions, but conceptually there was potential.  That's not the case with Jigglypuff.  Even in Melee when she was good her playstyle was horrible.  It was essentially the antithesis of what made that game enjoyable, yet that's partially what made it so effective.  She was even less worthwhile in Brawl because she was ass in that game.

Now you could argue that one could just revamp Jigglypuff's moveset to make her not retarded, but at that point one has to consider if you're going through the effort to completely revamp a moveset, surely it should be for a character that is popular and/or relevant (which Jigglypuff hasn't been for about a decade and a half).  Mewtwo on the other hand is both extremely popular and very relevant.

That would require heavily reworking his character, which seems a waste of effort given that Lucario accomplishes the same purpose such a reworking would. 

This is so asinine.  Mewtwo is literally nothing like Lucario barring Neutral B.

• Thumbs Up 5

Plus, for what it's worth, Lucario already took the best bits of Mewtwo's style and reworked them admirably. I don't know that there's much room for Mewtwo to cover.

The only thing Lucario took from Mewtwo's moveset was his Shadow Ball. Their actual moves and how they are applied in combat are completely different.

You should look at Project M as the prime example, which makes use of Mewtwo's long tail to give him extra reach, as well as giving him much more potent air control through use of letting him perform moves out of his teleport.

Shieeet, Wolf is more similar to Fox than Lucario is to Mewtwo.

This is so asinine.  Mewtwo is literally nothing like Lucario barring Neutral B.

Floaty fighter possessing special moves based around disorienting the opponent, makes heavy use of energy in normal attacks, roughly same build/hitbox, gruff voice for no reason,etc.?

Mewtwo's playstyle is one that is potentially interesting and has so much more room for creativity.  It was a flawed playstyle due to bad design decisions, but conceptually there was potential.  That's not the case with Jigglypuff.  Even in Melee when she was good her playstyle was horrible.  It was essentially the antithesis of what made that game enjoyable, yet that's partially what made it so effective.  She was even less worthwhile in Brawl because she was ass in that game.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree then. I had quite a bit of fun with Jigglypuff, much as I dislike the Pokemon. I'm not getting where the antithesis of Smash comes in.

I really do hate tripping into Smash debates when I'm tired and irritated. Pardon if I'm being too concise or whathaveyou.

Floaty fighter possessing special moves based around disorienting the opponent, makes heavy use of energy in normal attacks, roughly same build/hitbox, gruff voice for no reason,etc.?

-disorienting the opponent

-roughly same build/hitbox

That's literally not true.

gruff voice for no reason

And that's not even a valid reason.

• Thumbs Up 4

I still like the idea that both Jigglypuff and Mewtwo can return. Mewtwo was kinda cool to play with, but in Brawl he was somewhat understandably dropped, due to his appearance in the games being absolutely moot without trading him in.

However, now he's back with the whole Mega Evolution stuffs. So he's potentially in again... hopefully with a better final smash then Mega form, because while I do love the whole concept of it in the game, I don't want another Landmaster trio in there.

And like I said before, Jigglypuff'll be an absolute beast against Little Mac's. As long as they perhaps work up the Air game for Jiggly, along with updating the moveset. Adding in some Fairy-ness, perhaps!

-disorienting the opponent

-roughly same build/hitbox

That's literally not true.

Lucario's recovery is a quick, maneuverable dash that's hard to predict and allows for easy jumping around the map. The counter move, like others of its type, is good for breaking up combos and throwing people off balance. And, though my eyesight may be failing me, they do look about the same height and build.

And for what it's worth, I meant the voice thing as a joke. Poorly timed and badly executed, but still.

I still like the idea that both Jigglypuff and Mewtwo can return. Mewtwo was kinda cool to play with, but in Brawl he was somewhat understandably dropped, due to his appearance in the games being absolutely moot without trading him in.

However, now he's back with the whole Mega Evolution stuffs. So he's potentially in again... hopefully with a better final smash then Mega form, because while I do love the whole concept of it in the game, I don't want another Landmaster trio in there.

And like I said before, Jigglypuff'll be an absolute beast against Little Mac's. As long as they perhaps work up the Air game for Jiggly, along with updating the moveset. Adding in some Fairy-ness, perhaps!

I agree. People keep arguing Mario shouldn't have less characters, but Mario has tons of spinoff characters represented as is. I don't care that the "Mario" franchise only has five representatives, Wario and Yoshi are Mario characters as well. DK is arguably a Mario character, though his franchise is more distant from the Mario franchise.

Zelda, on the other hand, I could see getting a sixth character. But regardless, even if they don't, Pokemon is still a big franchise, and they really DID have six reps in Brawl. Adding Mewtwo and Jigglypuff wouldn't make it any different than if they just split Pokemon Trainer into three characters.

Exactly! In the end, I don't mind if they add in more characters of one particular brand! As long as they are recognizable and fun to play, and hopefully not clones, although that's sometimes understandably difficult.

To be honest, I'm still hoping for two 'Mario' representatives, but that's just my personal little dream characters. Being Geno and Paper Mario.

Lucario's recovery is a quick, maneuverable dash that's hard to predict and allows for easy jumping around the map. The counter move, like others of its type, is good for breaking up combos and throwing people off balance. And, though my eyesight may be failing me, they do look about the same height and build.

Well still, Lucario's playstyle is pretty straight forward. Mewtwo has more quirky moves, particularly in his specials.

If anything, you'd have a better argument saying Rosalina does what Mewtwo could do... she at least has slightly more in common with him.

And for what it's worth, I meant the voice thing as a joke. Poorly timed and badly executed, but still.

You are grasping at straws so hard it's painful.

Mewtwo revolves around spacing with his tail, teleport mindgames, making use of his powerful throws and double jump cancelled aerials (a double jump cancel is a mechanic exclusive to Melee exclusive to Ness, Yoshi and Mewtwo due to the nature of their jumps.  It allowed them to cancel the momentum of their double jump with any standard aerial attack).  These are all key qualities that Lucario doesn't have that define Mewtwo's moveset.  Mewtwo is also a lot taller than Lucario.

Lucario is a momentum based fighter that relies on playing defensively as he builds up damage then going more offensive once he reaches a higher % to deal more damage with.  A lot of his moves visually are inspired by tai-chi and the ways in which he approaches and combos foes are very different to Mewtwo's.

By extension of your logic, Jigglypuff and Kirby "accomplish the same purpose".  They're both small, round, marshmallow-esque things that are slow on the ground and primarily focus on attacking in the air with their quick aerial attacks, floatiness and multiple jumps.  Heck the two, unlike Mewtwo and Lucario, actually even share animations and are built off of primarily the same rig. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Bullet Bill confirmed as item rather than Assist Trophy:

vgtp3.jpg

Pic of the day. Bullet Bill here is an item. Can you guess what happens when you use it?

favuwy.jpg

Answer: You turn into Bullet Bill and go full speed ahead!

• Thumbs Up 5

If anything, you'd have a better argument saying Rosalina does what Mewtwo could do... she at least has slightly more in common with him.

I...don't see it honestly. I see Rosalina being kind of similiar to the Ice Climbers, in that you're controlling 2 characters at once. I would say Zelda has more in common with Mewtwo (the side smash, teleport, dash attack).

You are grasping at straws so hard it's painful.

Yeesh. I thought I was the one who was irritable.

For the record, yeah. As someone who's casually played Smash through the years, fighters like Kirby and Jigglypuff play similarly to me. There's some differences and change-ups, of course, and I wouldn't be hurting too much if Jigglypuff quietly disappeared, but they both seem made with the same overall purpose. This is just in reference to general playstyle; I don't know nor honestly am too concerned with how tourney-level players approach these characters or how the moves vary visually. These strike me, for good or for ill, as more minute details built off of the same base idea. You gotta see the forest for the trees, comrade.

On the subject of Pokemon representation, I really do think Sceptile might be in.  The hybrid characters from Brawl have all been split up - Samus/ZSS, Zelda/Sheik - and it seems like the Pokemon Trainer is in a similar situation.  Charizard was the most complete of the original trio as its only fully-evolved member and thus returns as is, but the Water-type and Grass-type slots needed replacing with Pokemon of comparable power, which means that Squirtle and Ivysaur are out.  With two empty slots and two Gen VI games to promote, it makes sense to use those slots to represent X/Y and Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire.  Greninja is the most popular X/Y starter and can fill in the Water-type slot, so that's clearly why he's in.  That leaves the Grass-type slot to be represented by Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire's Grass-type starter, and Sceptile conveniently fits the bipedal fighter mould.  (Sceptile's not as popular as Blaziken, but the Fire-type slot was already taken so Blaziken never stood a chance.)  Even the Charizard/Greninja announcement trailer looks to me like it could be extended to include a Grass-type.  Maybe it could be announced alongside a further ORAS trailer at E3, much like Rosalina's announcement for Smash Bros. was as I recall made in conjunction with a Mario Kart 8 trailer?

Some people on Miiverse are saying the pic of the day was changed, before it was Bullet Bill it was something else. Can anyone confirm this?

On the subject of Pokemon representation, I really do think Sceptile might be in.  The hybrid characters from Brawl have all been split up - Samus/ZSS, Zelda/Sheik - and it seems like the Pokemon Trainer is in a similar situation.  Charizard was the most complete of the original trio as its only fully-evolved member and thus returns as is, but the Water-type and Grass-type slots needed replacing with Pokemon of comparable power, which means that Squirtle and Ivysaur are out.  With two empty slots and two Gen VI games to promote, it makes sense to use those slots to represent X/Y and Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire.  Greninja is the most popular X/Y starter and can fill in the Water-type slot, so that's clearly why he's in.  That leaves the Grass-type slot to be represented by Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire's Grass-type starter, and Sceptile conveniently fits the bipedal fighter mould.  (Sceptile's not as popular as Blaziken, but the Fire-type slot was already taken so Blaziken never stood a chance.)  Even the Charizard/Greninja announcement trailer looks to me like it could be extended to include a Grass-type.  Maybe it could be announced alongside a further ORAS trailer at E3, much like Rosalina's announcement for Smash Bros. was as I recall made in conjunction with a Mario Kart 8 trailer?

Despite this making sense, i'm not really sure: Sceptile looks a little similar to Greninja if you ask me, only with grass moves instead of water. Considering though how the other grass startes tend to be stationary or slow, the only alternative i'm thinking at this point could be Serperior.

If its extended, its probably to show off Mewtwo or Jigglypuff. Just because we're missing a "grass type" doesn't mean it'd get in. Mewtwo is more popular and is one of the most requested characters to return, and Jigglypuff is a veteran from the very first game even if she's not all that popular... plus Jigglypuff is presumably the only female Pokemon (although the theory goes that Pichu from Melee evolved into Pikachu in Brawl, and it seems that the Pichu was female based on the alts, but eh, its hard to tell).

Technically speaking, any Pokémon besides Mewtwo could be any sex, it doesn't really matter especially if we're talking game characters rather than anime characters.

Seeing as Greninja is in SSB4 I kinda think they're making the Pokémon characters more game-focused, meaning if you want.. it doesn't have to necessarily be Ash's Pikachu, just.. "a Pikachu". Which could be a female. Or a male. Whichever. Same for every Pokémon but Mewtwo (whose sex is unknown/unstudiable)

Some people on Miiverse are saying the pic of the day was changed, before it was Bullet Bill it was something else. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, I believe it was this:

tB0q4i6.jpg

I guess someone uploaded the wrong pic...?

• Thumbs Up 1