Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

See, if there are alts, they'd have to be of the same character.

The exceptions being WTF, Villager, and any of the Pokemon. Even if they're different people, they're still technically a "Wii Fit Trainer" and a "Villager" or a "Pikachu". Heck, we could even apply this rule to Mega Man and the Zelda characters. There's more than one Link, Zelda and Mega Man.

For others, though, there's only one Mario, one Sonic, one Fox McCloud, One Kirby, One Little Mac. They couldn't get away with having Shadow out while the announcer and audience are calling him "Sonic".

• Thumbs Up 2

See, if there are alts, they'd have to be of the same character.

The exceptions being WTF, Villager, and any of the Pokemon. Even if they're different people, they're still technically a "Wii Fit Trainer" and a "Villager" or a "Pikachu". Heck, we could even apply this rule to Mega Man and the Zelda characters. There's more than one Link, Zelda and Mega Man.

For others, though, there's only one Mario, one Sonic, one Fox McCloud, One Kirby, One Little Mac. They couldn't get away with having Shadow out while the announcer and audience are calling him "Sonic".

But they got Peach looking like daisy. but still call her peach. 

Probably have different voices and have the announcer speak the alt's name.

Is the Wii Fit Trainer is confirmed to speak? If so, she would need a different voice for her alt.

Ya she has a voice, you can hear her in her reveal trailer and hear her in game in the developer direct from last E3.

plus they had peach looking like daisy and still call her peach. 

Peach's Daisy costume is not Daisy.  It's Peach with Daisy's colour scheme.  They at no point pretend she is Daisy, just as Mario doesn't get renamed Fire Mario with the Fire Mario outfit, nor does Link or Samus get renamed Dark Link or Dark Samus.

Thus far, Smash's "alt versions" have all been either:

• A colour scheme that references another character (Fire-style Mario, Daisy-style Peach, Dark-style Link, Dark-style Samus)
  • An alternative, equally iconic costume for the same character (Wario/Warioware Wario)
  • An alternate version for a character from a game where the same character can be represented as either version interchangeably at the user's digression (Wii Fit Trainer)

Shadow instead of Sonic or Proto Man instead of Mega Man do not fit into these categories and as such there is literally no justification or evidence to get your hopes up over.

• Thumbs Up 6

But they got Peach looking like daisy. but still call her peach. 

plus they had peach looking like daisy and still call her peach. 

Yes, but it was still Peach but with Daisy's colors. If they specifically had it so you could switch to Daisy's model, that'd be different.

EDIT; Ouch, ninja'd. Thanks JezMM.

Yes, but it was still Peach but with Daisy's colors. If they specifically had it so you could switch to Daisy's model, that'd be different.

EDIT; Ouch, ninja'd. Thanks JezMM.

Oh shoot you meant a full out different model.

Well we shoulda called it alternate models :P

Carry on your discussion, I was not here.

As alternate skins, I don't think other characters will get in as alts of existing ones. However, I don't think its entirely out of the question to have an updated "clone" system where new characters can be unlocked that play exactly the same as an existing character and have the same size and everything, but with their own voice and their own name being called out.

Now, yes, we've got Toon Link and Luigi. Luigi isn't a clone, though, and Toon Link has a completely different size model from regular Link. Other than Toon Link, we don't have any clones revealed thus far, which is a huge change from in past titles.

Now, on another hand, I disagree on the notion of Lucina being disregarded as an alt of Marth, mainly because of

Lucina literally calling herself Marth early on. They could easily go with this and just change the voice slightly (or even just use the same voice for both, but of course Lucina would be altering her voice to sound masculine), but otherwise have Lucina as an alternate skin.

Other than Lucina, yeah, I can't see other characters getting in as direct skins of an existing character. I'd see them as being unlockable separately, but being more direct clones just with an alternate model. This would be mainly for characters who wouldn't be all that different from existing characters, such as FE Lords based on Marth, FE Mercs based on Ike, literally any Mother characters based on Ness/Lucas (whoever is chosen as the one to remain), Falco for Fox, etc. I couldn't see more than one, maybe 2 at the best, but I could see more made available as DLC. In fact, this is the only way I could see playable characters as DLC.

Also, of course, I believe it would be restricted to in-franchise. So Ganondorf gets his own moveset to replace his clone one and Ganondorf's old moves act as custom movesets for Falcon.

See this is why I'd like Metal Sonic, rather then Shadow.

Shadow, if anything, deserves his own moveset, rather then being a Sonic Skin. Granted, he might end up in the same scenario as Luigi is to Mario, but that's another story.

Either way, I can still see each character getting at least <i>something</i>. I mean, Project M has done quite a bit in both creating and showing exactly how these costumes could work. Dr.Mario, Mr.L, Shadow Peach, Dry Bowser... these are all awesome. Even that original design Meta Knight!

Now, It's obviously just a little bit of potential awesomeness, but I can see every character getting an alt Skin... except Megaman. Because huh... what, besides Protoman, could he have... a 'Classic-shaped' Zero/X? Who knows.

Is it safe to assume that there would be a female version of the Villager? I'm curious as Sakurai specifically mentioned that there would be a male and female version of Wii Fit Trainer in the Direct, but not the Villager. Plus, it shouldn't be THAT hard to make different model for the female one, being in the same height and dimensions and whatnot. Hmm...

See this is why I'd like Metal Sonic, rather then Shadow.

Shadow, if anything, deserves his own moveset, rather then being a Sonic Skin. Granted, he might end up in the same scenario as Luigi is to Mario, but that's another story.

I don't see how it's at all a different case for Metal Sonic than Shadow.  Metal Sonic is as much a different character from Sonic as Shadow is, therefore it makes little sense for him to be an alternate costume.

• Thumbs Up 2

If "different characters = costumes" ever turns out to be an issue (and to be honest I don't even think it's that big a deal to start with), I wouldn't mind settling for Sonic's Riders getup or something. I'd love to see his armour from Black Knight, or his PSO costume from SA2, but I'd be kind of surprised if that ever happened.

At best, I can see them using those Robo Sonic things. They've been used to replace Sonic for two games now in multiplayer modes(Lost World and Colors), so using them as a alt for Sonic in SSB4 makes sense if you ask me.

So I was right, Flare Blitz is Zard's new Side B!

10x62ib.jpg

Wonder what his Down B is gonna b-

Pic of the day. Here's Charizard's new special attack, Flare Blitz. It's a very powerful attack--however, you'll take recoil damage if you make contact. Pretty true to the original game, huh? Flare Blitz is Charizard's side special move, and Rock Smash is the down special move.

Oh. Oh. Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh.

Zard X is also the Final Smash.

o06sut.jpg

Eugh.

It's gonna be annoying having to get used to Rock Smash being a Down Special...

Good to see Mega Charizard X confirmed as Charizard's Final Smash, even though it was pretty obvious anyway. I guess we can now assume that Lucario will follow suit and have Mega Lucario as his Final Smash, too.

It's a shame that Mega Charizard Y isn't getting any representation, but... eh, Mega Charizard X was always the cool one. Plus he looks far more menacing as an ultimate form in a fighting game.

Haven't you saw the recent direct? They confimed both Mega Charizard X and Mega Lucario as final smashes in that.

Haven't you saw the recent direct? They confimed both Mega Charizard X and Mega Lucario as final smashes in that.

Yes I saw the Direct and yes they confirmed that Mega Charizard X and Mega Lucario were in the game, but I'm fairly sure they didn't explicitly say that they were Final Smashes, even though they blatantly were going to be. It's nice to see confirmation, even if it is obvious.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good to see Mega Charizard X confirmed as Charizard's Final Smash, even though it was pretty obvious anyway. I guess we can now assume that Lucario will follow suit and have Mega Lucario as his Final Smash, too.

It's a shame that Mega Charizard Y isn't getting any representation, but... eh, Mega Charizard X was always the cool one. Plus he looks far more menacing as an ultimate form in a fighting game.

Maybe mega charzard Y is the 3DS's final smash?

At best, I can see them using those Robo Sonic things. They've been used to replace Sonic for two games now in multiplayer modes(Lost World and Colors), so using them as a alt for Sonic in SSB4 makes sense if you ask me.

Does anybody want them, honestly? There are better choices for costumes, but I guess it's better than what we got in Brawl.

And that Mega Charizard is awesome, not regretting the loss of Pokemon Trainer, even though he was a unique and amazing character overall.

Poor MegaZard Y get's the least amount of opposure. I mean X had Pokemon Origins and the Mega Evolution Special in the Anime, poor Y keeps getting neglected.

Nice to see Flare Blitz confirmed after seeing the Direct, as I thought that'd be the case. The Megas being Final Smashes were obvious, but good to know its confirmed. It's also nice that Rock Smash is delegated to Charizard's Down B, but it'll be a bit awkward adjusting to it as using it as a side-B was a great way of approaching while dealing massive damage.

And even if Mega Charizard Y could happen, what would it do? I can think of Zard Y covering the stage with scorching heat and unleashing a huge ass Flamethrower a la Zero Laser. 

Also, I'd be pretty pissed if the Y version is 3DS only. I want mah dragon dammit

Maybe mega charzard Y is the 3DS's final smash?

I highly doubt they'll change the way a fighter works between systems just for the sake of version differences (ironically, like Pokemon itself). It'd take up extra time and resources they could be better spending elsewhere, and it also means the player would have to learn a completely new Final Smash mechanic in what is essentially two halves of the same whole.

Mega Charizard X has always been far more popular and visually appealing than Mega Charizard Y, so it's no surprise whatsoever that the former gets chosen over the latter. Maybe we'll get a Mega Charizard Y trophy or something at least.

Has it been CONFIRMED confirmed?  Could be that he can transform into either and it's randomised if not.

Nothing shown so far has even hinted at the possiblity of Charizard randomly being Y or X...

Its just been Mega X so far.