Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I knew from the beginning that if we got a Namco character it wouldn't be Klonoa. Pac-Man was the next best thing and far more likely, which made me want him an unbelievable amount. And here's here! He's actually fucking here and he looks amazing!

Him and Little Mac are the two main reasons I will play this game. No other (realistic) character announcements could be more hype than these for me. I'm so happy.

THE PAC IS BACK
THE PAC IS BACK
THE PAC IS BACK

THE PAC IS BACK

THE PAC IS BACK

THE PAC IS BACK

THE PAC IS BACK

THE PAC IS BACK

THE PAC IS BACK

• Thumbs Up 3

PAC-MAN Moveset Speculation Because Why Not

0:38 - Treated to what appears to be one of Pac's idle animations right off the bat, his signature thumbs-up and wink.

0:39 - Standard jump, and seems to be rather low. He then follows with with quick Fair, a quick kick with little landing lag.

0:39-0:40 - Freeze Frame Bonus - his side rolls has him go classic Pac-Man for a split second to roll behind.

0:40 - Punch, Punch, Kick. Standard Jab combo.

0:41 - Looks to be a special move where he summons the various fruits he can eat in the original Pac-Man. They're projectiles with no extending hitboxes - Sonic was literally right above the fruit and he didn't take damage. They also have Waddle Dee like properties, as the fruit protected Pac-Man from Megaman's Jab attack and didn't phase out.

0:43 - Pulling out two Ghosts and sending them on either side of him for a strong hit? Dsmash.

0:44 - I like that Dtaunt. Or is it his crouch? That would be a silly and fun crouch if it was.

0:45 - Dair, four kicks downward. Has some slight startup to it.

0:47 - ....The Galaga Ship capture waves? Well, Ness uses his friends' PK moves, so this is slightly consistent. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is a move that can only occur when Pac summons the Galaga ship and uses it, kinda like how the Villager's Down B and Game and Watch's Down B have different motions depending on how far the move their Down B is programmed to is going along.

Ooooooor it could be a very long, very slow grab. lol

0:48 - Looks like a crouch position, but Pac suddenly jerks awake. So this is likely Pac being put to sleep by Bellossom or something else.

0:49 - Another Ghost summon, and it appears to be his Forward Smash, since there's only one Ghost.

0:49 - I always wondered what a hypothetical Pac-Man UpB recovery move would be, and here we find out it's the trampolines from Mappy Land! Just like Mappy Land, the trampoline has 3 uses (PacMan uses the first bounce); once the trampoline turns red, the thing breaks if anyone tries to jump on it, just like Mario did there. What a cool reference!.... Buuut Pac really didn't get far or high with that move. The Villager and Diddy even jumped higher. Pac's gotta be careful using that move.

0:51 - Ghosts everywhere! Unlike the Ghosts Pac's been using, these four don't have outlines. Safe bet these are the Pac-Man universe's Assist Trophy.

0:52 - Pac-Man's going through his Fruit Summon again, and from the looks of it and the last time he used it, the fruits go in the order you can collect them in the original game: the Orange came right after the Strawberry in the Sonic/Megaman clip, and the Apple, Cantaloupe, and....ship thing were all in order.

0:54 - When Pac used the Orange, he just threw it and it blocked the projectile and it did nothing else. Here, he tosses that ship thing, and it's a lot more active. Based on that, if Pac can find the time to get way from the fight and go through the fruits, he can have a powerful projectile on his hands. Wonder what happens if Pac can get the Bell or the Key.

0:54 - Meanwhile, Pac uses a Uair. Standard flip kick.

0:55 - Fire Hydrant from Pac-Land? It feels like its a Down Special to me. It can gush water, and Pac uses his Ftilt to kick the thing out of place and use it for a projectile. Pretty nifty, this guy's got a LOT of projectiles!

0:58-0:59 - Double jump looks good, his Bair is a backwards drop kick, like 64 Yoshi and DK. Hi Pac-Land!

0:59 - Love his dash. Just love it. He's running at a very good speed.

0:59 - My favorite move of his that I've seen, the Dash Attack. Turning into classic Pac-Man and chomping away for a few feet is perfect.

1:00-1:06 - Pac-Man fanservice, through and through.

1:06 - Pac performs what looks like another summoning move, albeit with a different posture. This time, he summons a stream of Pac-Dots, complete with Power Pellets, that seem to go on a random path, but maybe you can control the path's trajectory. Unlike the Fruit Summons, Pac participates in this summon, turning into Classic Pac and following the path, seemingly invincible to everything in his way. As he eats a Power Pellet he becomes even bigger, perhaps stronger.

1:07 - Pac does the same summon posture as with the Pac-Dot, but now he's summoning a Namco game library. The Galaga starship, an enemy from Dig-Dug, Mappy himself, and a giant spaceship (Is that from Galaga too?). Pac's movement seems a little stilted during these summons, so it's possible the footage was cut inbetween segments for time and effect. If summoning the Galaga ship from before makes Pac use Galaga waves during the time the ship is active like I hypothesized, would that mean that summoning the these guys makes him do a specific move during their active time as well? And that the Pac-Dot summon is an automatic action? Are the Galaga waves automatic too? Where does the fire hydrant come into play during all this? Ah, so many variables!

1:09 - Fairy Queen's garden from Pac-Land. I didn't even see Toon Link or Yoshi until like my 30th time watching the video.

1:10 - S-Flag from Rally-X. You know, we've never actually seen the S-Flag being spawned as a random item. Maybe the S-Flag is another random summon from Pac-Man's Namco Summon move and he just chucks it like the fruit?

1:11-1:14 - The best thing to have ever graced the internet. Pack it up, go home, we are done.

All in all, Pac is surprisingly projectile-focused. He's decently fast all around, and can keep things fresh and wild with each different item summon. Definitely won't be a snooze to play as, or against.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pleasantly surprised having just learned about Pac-Man. I was worried he was going to be the Ghostly Adventures version, but no. It's Pac-Man World, mixed with classic and no horrendous voice.

daily.jpg?date=1402497941678

Watching the video made me remember why I liked and respected the character and his legacy, as well as reminding me why he deserves to be in the ultimate video game crossover.

It also reminded me on some of the stuff Charlie Brooker mentioned about him in that "How VideoGames Changed The World" show he hosted.

screen-5.jpg

He was the very first Video Game Mascot, was the first to use powerups and was the first to have cut-scenes in games. (I loved those comical little things.) He appealed to a female audience and had influenced some surprising titles that would follow years later, like the original Metal Gear games, GTA and possibly Doom as well. Think about it.

I don't understand how he can be considered boring, we owe so much to the little yellow dude.

I'm actually seeing that "boring" word a lot. Surely when Sakurai gives them the smash treatment, they wont be so boring?

But I'd still prefer Lucina over Chrom. Lucina is just so freakin' cool. ^-^

• Thumbs Up 3

I guess thats it for smash news huh?

I think we'll probably get a Mr Game&Watch official confirmation this week sometime.. maybe..

Have they shown any of his alternate costumes? I'm guessing he'll get the ghost colors. Though Clyde would be pretty close to his normal colors. Would be fun if there was a Ms. Pac-Man costume

Nintendo of America Twitter says they'll talk more on both versions later today.

Goody. I'm not expecting any character reveals, though.

Have they shown any of his alternate costumes? I'm guessing he'll get the ghost colors. Though Clyde would be pretty close to his normal colors. Would be fun if there was a Ms. Pac-Man costume

inb4wegetghostlyadventuresalternatecostume

*Gets booed*

OH COME ON!

With the team colors not having much precedence in Smash 4 thanks to colored outlines, I dunno about having a Red, Green, and Blue Pac-Man. Sonic's more blue than ever in his alt. colors in Smash 4, after all.

I think we'll be getting Ms. Pac-Man and Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man skins, but I don't know about anything beyond that.

Ms. Pac-Man I can see, but I don't think we'll get Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man (thank god). Sakurai made it clear that he wanted Pac-Man's appearance in this game to be reminiscent of his classic days, so to have the new design in would kinda defeat the purpose of that.

Or maybe that's just my personal distaste for GA Pac-Man talking happy.png

That announcer though.

Rosalina ran into the black hole purposefully. Your sacrifice shall not be forgotten, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rosalina ran into the black hole purposefully. Your sacrifice shall not be forgotten, lol.

She probably thought "hey, what's that black hole doing here? I thought I had the entire cosmos concealed under my dress!" and went to check it out.

And then she got MEGA BUSTED AWW YEAH

• Thumbs Up 1

Four of the greatest gaming icons ever known to mankind... legendary heroes across generations that have helped to save not only their respective worlds, but forge an entire industry that has changed the way we play forever... and now, against all the odds, they are finally brought together for one glorious occasion, one which may never be seen again...

...now let's have them BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF EACH OTHER FOR OUR AMUSEMENT HELL YEAH!

• Thumbs Up 7

For those who need help having Pac-Man's inclusion and what it means sink in a little;

http://a-world-of-our-very-own.tumblr.com/post/88460966929/battle-of-the-iconic-mascots

This gifset really helps drive the point home. This is fucking game history.

That's awesome. I like that idea. I just don't like how its hinted further at the leak which has killed a lot of my hype.

I agree that the Gematsu leak being more and more true is harming the mystery and hype of finding out new characters, but hopefully they haven't told us /everything/

Didn't you say there was another leak from them recently? Where was that?

Perfect, this is exactly how Pac Man should've been and he, well, is.

What was all that stuff about how small aesthetic touches don't make a world of difference?  Look at this trailer oh man.

Shame they didn't delve deeper to get some 8-bit Game Gear spritework of Sonic for the poster though lol.

tumblr_n70kynKmVb1qd2mamo1_1280.jpg

Wish granted :3

• Thumbs Up 4

Anyone else hoping for some veteran reveals during the Treehouse stream, provided they talk about Smash at all?

Um...if the leak's are ruining it for people, why check the leaks at all?

I didn't even know about them, and now that I do. I don't want to know about them.

Anyone else hoping for some veteran reveals during the Treehouse stream, provided they talk about Smash at all?

I hope so but I doubt.

Um...if the leak's are ruining it for people, why check the leaks at all?

It can be hard to avoid if you're actively Smash hype.

The leak isn't TOTALLY accurate. There was nothing about Rosalina, so hopefully there will be SOME surprises.

PAC-MAN Moveset Speculation Because Why Not

0:49 - I always wondered what a hypothetical Pac-Man UpB recovery move would be, and here we find out it's the trampolines from Mappy Land! Just like Mappy Land, the trampoline has 3 uses (PacMan uses the first bounce); once the trampoline turns red, the thing breaks if anyone tries to jump on it, just like Mario did there. What a cool reference!.... Buuut Pac really didn't get far or high with that move. The Villager and Diddy even jumped higher. Pac's gotta be careful using that move.

I also notice that the red trampoline also takes away marios chance to recover. Notice how mario is falling after touching the trampoline.