Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Just got back from playing!

They let each group of 4 do two matches, so first round I played as Sonic to see if he was different. He's a bit more powerful, and I think they might have slowed him down a tad even. Most of his moves seemed to function all the same EXCEPT his side-B spindash. It has less of an arc, and when the arc is done (mid-air I'm talking), you go at like a 45 degree angle downward pretty rapidly. Wound up getting KO'd due to it since I wasn't expecting it to be nerfed so much. I got 2nd place that round though still and was awesome haha.

Second match I tried Mega Man and he's pretty rad. Clunky would be the wrong word, but he felt definitely like, weapon-oriented, as he naturally should be. It really works, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that I didn't find too many combos with him in the 2 minutes I had hands on with him. However I got his Final Smash right at the last 20 seconds and won, with the entire crowd yelling and doing that shit the announcer guy freaked out about last night at the invitational looool.

Lastly while I was waiting in line, there was someone with 3DS's strapped to them with the 3DS version of the game. Someone handed me the game out of frustration, so I got to play as Pikachu in Smash Run. All I can really say is that it's fucking hard, harder than I thought it'd be, and I kinda like it like that. Everyone won't be super beefed up that way.

I'm really looking forward to the game after playing today. It's faster than Brawl but not as crazy heavy as Melee. It's like a perfect balance I feel and I'm really thinking this will be the best installment of the series yet.

EDIT: Also doing the "YER TEW SLOOOW" taunt after you KO someone still doesn't get old

Most competitive/Melee fans completely disagree with you.

Then let them play Melee, my opinion still stands lawl

• Thumbs Up 9

Hey now, don't speak our words for us. It's true, we think it is sluggish, but I've explained what that means. All the same, we're not stopping the man from enjoying the game. If we cared about bringing down his hype, we would've responded about how the mechanics have changed for the worse.

• Thumbs Up 2

Video on the Smash Bros. Roundtable is up;

Have yet to watch it myself, but I'm hoping there will be Pac-Man footage in there!

• Thumbs Up 1

at 5:09, on the roster there, is that ROB in the bottom right? Might be the Miis though

Nope it's Miis

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey now, don't speak our words for us. It's true, we think it is sluggish, but I've explained what that means. All the same, we're not stopping the man from enjoying the game. If we cared about bringing down his hype, we would've responded about how the mechanics have changed for the worse.

You're not doing that. I wasn't referring to you.

at 5:09, on the roster there, is that ROB in the bottom right? Might be the Miis though

Mii. Greninja'd.

Honestly, I just play games for fun, which is while I will proably never end up in the competitive, but as long as I have friends to push off a cliff I'll have fun

Nope it's Miis

project-x-zone-2.jpg

PROJECT X ZONE CONFIRMED FOR SMASH

I wonder why I didn't think of making this joke until now

• Thumbs Up 2

The thanks Nintendo gets for inviting PeachyHime to try out their in-progress game in their tournament.

How dare she be honest.  What a bitch.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just got to try both versions briefly, here are my thoughts.

I first got to try the 3DS version while waiting in line.  It was supposed to be a Smash Run demo, but I got ripped off and just had to play the fight at the tail end of someone else's game.  I was Greninja, and I played on the Spirit Tracks stage.  It was a fun stage and Greninja is a cool character.  Pretty standard Smash experience, but with one problem: the little handheld screen really makes it harder to follow what's going on as opposed to a full TV.  And that was on the XL, so I fear it'll be a real eyesore on my tiny normal 3DS screen.  It wasn't a deal breaker though.  Still fun stuff.

I then tried the Wii U version as the Villager.  Villager is silly as hell and really fun to play as.  We went on the Wily Castle stage - and let me tell ya, out of the selection of stages, that was probably the worst choice, because it was awful.  Yellow Devil shows up way too often and takes up way too much of the stage when his parts fly around, and with four players it was an absolute clusterfuck.  I stuck around to watch some other matches though, and the rest of the stages looked a lot better and a lot more manageable.  The Colosseum stage in particular looked very fun, simple yet not boring.

So I wish I picked a different stage and I'm a bit worried about the 3DS visuals, but other than that, it's Smash Bros.  It's awesome.  I'm gonna get it, you're gonna get it.  There's no doubt in my mind that the 3DS version will be inferior, while the Wii U version will be my "true" Smash experience, but I'm still gonna get both.  

So I got to play both versions of Smash 4, and I gotta say, it was loads of fun!

So lets start with the Wii U version. The Wii U version is your traditional Smash in about every sense of the word. I ha to use the Pro controller(which I'm not too familiar with) and I still got the hang of it pretty quickly. Everything feels right. The game definitely is faster than brawl, and hit knock outs are a lot simpler to pull off. So dodging of course is still pivotal. My first round, I used Wii Fit Trainer, and did fairly well with her.  She's really fun to use, and with practice, I can see her being a main of mine. her specials can really help  you in tight situations imo. 

My second round I went with Sonic. And WOW they really improved him! He deals more damage, he doesn't use the spindash for everything, an his SS final smash is shorter. I don't feel like he's as abuseable and cheap either as he was in brawl. Can't wait for the full version to release so I can play with Toon Link again!

The 3DS version only had Smash Run, and boy is it challenging! Mainly due to the layout of some of the attacks and whatnot, so I blame it on not having a clear idea of the controls. But I still did decent. Again I used Sonic, and he still feels about the same in terms of strength and skill in this version as he does in the Wii U one. My only problem is that the dodge move has been moved to the Right Trigger. I've mainly been using a Wii controller and nunchuck for Brawl with the nunchuck in my left hand, so I always was comfortable with the dodge on the left side. Hopefully I can edit controls. But aside from that I ha fun. I just need more practice.

All in all, it's still fun and addicting like Smash Bros. has always been! Can't wait to get the 3DS version this October! (and maybe the Wii U one Christmas.)

So I wish I picked a different stage and I'm a bit worried about the 3DS visuals, but other than that, it's Smash Bros.  It's awesome.  I'm gonna get it, you're gonna get it.  There's no doubt in my mind that the 3DS version will be inferior, while the Wii U version will be my "true" Smash experience, but I'm still gonna get both.  

You don't speak for me sir!

*saves money aggressively*

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/article/first-thoughts-super-smash-bros-wii-u-perspective-competitive-player-e3/

This is a players thoughts on how smash 4 is at the moment from his own experience, figure it'd be somewhat relevant here for the more competitive people since it sounds like its almost there but the game isn't quite there yet with the mechanics as is right now so hopefully sakurai and the rest of the development team take this stuff to heart and make some more adjustments to the game before release.

Apparently Petlil and Cryogonal are also enemy Pokemon in Smash Run.

I'll get back with Nintendo later for making mah boi Cryogonal an enemy, but Petlil? That's quite random.

EDIT: Also doing the "YER TEW SLOOOW" taunt after you KO someone still doesn't get old

How well does RCS pull off "You're too slow"?

• Thumbs Up 1

Kid Icarus Uprising's Magnus confirmed Assist Trophy:

m83Ec7Y.jpg

I believe this is from GameSpot's stream, and players who played the game can confirm this too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys, I was ABLE TO PLAY. On the 3DS version, I tried out Sonic, Toon Link and Mega Man. Wii U characters, Greninja and Villager. Let's start with Greninja, shall we?

- Very fast and fun to play as. His ninja moves are incredible.

- To me, anyway, he doesn't feel like Sheik.

- Water Shuriken charges up by holding the Special button, and automatically gets thrown once fully charged.

- Up B is very similar to Pikachu's.

- Greninja has a Pink and Red color scheme. Kind of hard to distinguish between the two.

- Up Smash is just fun, I love it.

- Strong attacks are a bit lame IMO, just some toungue whipping.

Mega Man:

- I barely played as him, so I didn't get a chance to use all his moves.

- Down Smash is powerful, I love it.

- I wasn't able to use strong attacks. The circle pad needs some tweaking, as just holding to the right starts a dash.

Toon Link:

- Basically the same as Brawl. No problem for me, as I loved him in Brawl. Link's changes differentiate him from TL better.

Villager:

- Dude, fun. All his attacks are hilarious to use.

- Side smash is the bowling ball. I have horrible memory so I forgot about that.

- Up smash, the fireworks, is a bit too weak for my taste. Character had to be at a pretty high percentage to die (I think 110% on Sonic).

- I love Pocket. I picked up a crate with it, and I loved how I could still walk around at normal speed.

- Balloon Fight... I couldn't really test how good this was, as I was in the Boxing Ring.

- Did not get to try out the Tree attack. The matches all last 2 minutes, whereas 3DS you just play until it's your turn on the Wii U.

- Gyroid is fun. Only used it once, though.

Sonic:

- Almost the same moveset. He has some changes that weren't in his reveal trailer, however.

- Side B is less floaty. It kind of just hops and goes down really quickly.

- Down B is the same, though there's this purple aura and smoke when it's fully charged.

- Dash attack. IDK if this happened in Brawl, but it traps people on contact, and ends with two kick attacks, with decent knockback.

- Down smash is NO LONGER THAT SPIN THING. Now, it's a split kick, very similar to Fox's.

- Taunts are the same, but he no longer says "YOU'RE TOO SLOW". :'[

General:

- All characters from previous games, barring Fox, seem to lack their Dark colors. Like, no Dark Link or Shadow Link, no Dark Zelda, no Dark Pit. Link has a purple color which I adore.

- All the voices seem to be taken from other games (like, no newly recorded voices, except for MAYBE Rosalina). Since this is a demo, I expected this. Pit's Up B sound is definitely too aggressive for just flying (it's like this, "GRYAHHH" kinda sound). All of Sonic's sounds are taken from Free Riders, Colors and Generations, it seems. Kirby has a lot of new voice clips, though. Pit and Kirby seemed to be the only characters who grunted the second they got hit, ala Melee.

- Pokémon are awesome. I got a Darkrai, Abomasnow, Arceus and Fletchling. Darkrai shoots a dark orb at people from afar to make them fall asleep. I think it does a bit of damage. Abomasnow uses this icy wind stuff, and a charge that causes people to get frozen. Arceus is the same in the video. Fletchling is USELESS. I swear. XDD

- That pre-evolved Vivillion thing was there too. It stuns you, but not like, Mewtwo's confusion stun, but like, MAJOR hitstun... stun.

- Still dunno what Xerneas does. It made a glowing aura around someone playing as ZSS, but she never landed a hit during that phase.

- A professional Olimar player was there. I think his name was Matthew. He's American/Canadian, but he says he was in Japan, which is where he fought in tournaments. He had a shirt saying "Best Olimar player 2011-2014 something something". I didn't see him on Smash Wiki though.

- I got an awesome SSB badge/button/pin thing and some stickers. :DDD

I think that covers about everything I experienced. :D

How dare she be honest.  What a bitch.

Honesty is good, but she seriously could have at least been more constructive. I feel her post and the way she worded it was in poor taste, especially so soon after the tournament. It just rubs me the wrong way when people act like that.

Then again, it looks to be a post from her personal Facebook and I'm not even sure how that got circulated.

Hey guys, I was ABLE TO PLAY. On the 3DS version, I tried out Sonic, Toon Link and Mega Man. Wii U characters, Greninja and Villager. Let's start with Greninja, shall we?

- Very fast and fun to play as. His ninja moves are incredible.

- To me, anyway, he doesn't feel like Sheik.

- Water Shuriken charges up by holding the Special button, and automatically gets thrown once fully charged.

- Up B is very similar to Pikachu's.

- Greninja has a Pink and Red color scheme. Kind of hard to distinguish between the two.

- Up Smash is just fun, I love it.

- Strong attacks are a bit lame IMO, just some toungue whipping.

Mega Man:

- I barely played as him, so I didn't get a chance to use all his moves.

- Down Smash is powerful, I love it.

- I wasn't able to use strong attacks. The circle pad needs some tweaking, as just holding to the right starts a dash.

Toon Link:

- Basically the same as Brawl. No problem for me, as I loved him in Brawl. Link's changes differentiate him from TL better.

Villager:

- Dude, fun. All his attacks are hilarious to use.

- Side smash is the bowling ball. I have horrible memory so I forgot about that.

- Up smash, the fireworks, is a bit too weak for my taste. Character had to be at a pretty high percentage to die (I think 110% on Sonic).

- I love Pocket. I picked up a crate with it, and I loved how I could still walk around at normal speed.

- Balloon Fight... I couldn't really test how good this was, as I was in the Boxing Ring.

- Did not get to try out the Tree attack. The matches all last 2 minutes, whereas 3DS you just play until it's your turn on the Wii U.

- Gyroid is fun. Only used it once, though.

Sonic:

- Almost the same moveset. He has some changes that weren't in his reveal trailer, however.

- Side B is less floaty. It kind of just hops and goes down really quickly.

- Down B is the same, though there's this purple aura and smoke when it's fully charged.

- Dash attack. IDK if this happened in Brawl, but it traps people on contact, and ends with two kick attacks, with decent knockback.

- Down smash is NO LONGER THAT SPIN THING. Now, it's a split kick, very similar to Fox's.

- Taunts are the same, but he no longer says "YOU'RE TOO SLOW". :'[

General:

- All characters from previous games, barring Fox, seem to lack their Dark colors. Like, no Dark Link or Shadow Link, no Dark Zelda, no Dark Pit. Link has a purple color which I adore.

- All the voices seem to be taken from other games (like, no newly recorded voices, except for MAYBE Rosalina). Since this is a demo, I expected this. Pit's Up B sound is definitely too aggressive for just flying (it's like this, "GRYAHHH" kinda sound). All of Sonic's sounds are taken from Free Riders, Colors and Generations, it seems. Kirby has a lot of new voice clips, though. Pit and Kirby seemed to be the only characters who grunted the second they got hit, ala Melee.

- Pokémon are awesome. I got a Darkrai, Abomasnow, Arceus and Fletchling. Darkrai shoots a dark orb at people from afar to make them fall asleep. I think it does a bit of damage. Abomasnow uses this icy wind stuff, and a charge that causes people to get frozen. Arceus is the same in the video. Fletchling is USELESS. I swear. XDD

- That pre-evolved Vivillion thing was there too. It stuns you, but not like, Mewtwo's confusion stun, but like, MAJOR hitstun... stun.

- Still dunno what Xerneas does. It made a glowing aura around someone playing as ZSS, but she never landed a hit during that phase.

- A professional Olimar player was there. I think his name was Matthew. He's American/Canadian, but he says he was in Japan, which is where he fought in tournaments. He had a shirt saying "Best Olimar player 2011-2014 something something". I didn't see him on Smash Wiki though.

- I got an awesome SSB badge/button/pin thing and some stickers. :DDD

I think that covers about everything I experienced. biggrin.png

Considering this notion, it makes sense why Chrom's voice actor wasn't called to voice him again. They probably had all the voice clips they needed for Chrom from Awakening.

Finally got to a Best Buy holding the event (after 2 failed attempts at other stores far, far away)

I thought I was going to miss out on the pre-order coin cus it was early afternoon, but to my surprise only 25 or so people were already in line at 1pm.

Swung inside to get confirmation that the event was taking place, they had these near the entrance -

IMG_0022_zps4870e4cf.jpg

IMG_0025_zpsb0974159.jpg

A Best Buy Employee came out shortly to greet us as said if we wanted to pre-order we could do it at any time BUT the coins wouldnt be available until we picked the game up. I didn't take any chances so I hopped out of line and put $5 down.

The line wasn't that bad until about 3 when the line reached around the corner of the store -

IMG_0026_zpse72a809a.jpg

IMG_0027_zpsf53f2486.jpg

Around 4 they let us in and we started playing. The first few groups of people were allowed 3 - 4 2 minute games.. that quickly ended when it was confirmed that there were 500 people in line.

My shot came, played around on the character select screen scrolling thru alternate costume colours (Sonic has one with a purple crystal cuff, a light blue glow cuff, and a weird white theme)

Chose Sonic, my opponents were Rosalina, Marth ... and I can't remember the 4th.

Not a lot happened in our match, I picked up an assist trophy which was Tingle and the camera zoomed in on me.. which can only mean one thing - taunts! Got a few chuckles from the crowd.. Came out as the winner with a score of 3, my opponents all tied at -1

Hung around for a bit longer to watch another Sonic fan play and started the 80 minute trek home.

Sonic's got a few changes, his Spin dash doesn't cover as much air, there's fire effects in his B punches and kicks, he isn't as airborne as long as he was in Brawl after using his spring... I managed to KO Marth with a simple side attack smash which brought a smile to my face, that was difficult to do in Brawl, so I guess he's got a little more "ompf" this time around :)

Pretty damn fun 2 minutes that left me craving for more :(