Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Explain how easy it is.

Easy enough for fans with little/no real development experience to fix it with hacks and still use the same game disc (Project M)

I'm assuming if fans can change Brawl so much with nothing but hacks, Nintendo can easily patch SSB4 to a similar effect.

I honestly can't see the difference between Melee and SSB4. There certainly is a difference between SSB4 and Brawl since the former looks a lot less floaty and closer to Melee's fast gameplay, but uh...other than that? Seems like petty nitpicking to me, but then again I'm not a competitive Smasher sooo...

Also, why the hell is Petilil an enemy in Smash Run? O_O It's so adorable and innocent looking! Cryogonal makes sense since it looks creepy already, but Petilil??

yeah if we're talking about issues of game balance (nay, game feel) it's pretty much just changing values. it's more whether or not Nintendo actually want to do it though. What the community thinks "feels" good could be different to what Nintendo likes the feel of though. 

Just watching videos, IMO it looks like it reads a lot better than brawl did, and visually it looks like it would feel fun/nice to play but I don't know how that would work in reality.

I think a lot of melee players make the mistake of thinking because the game doesn't feel like Melee it's bad. I like the feel of street fighter 3 way more than 4 but that doesn't mean 4's a bad game. It's just different. Hell I kind of like Smash 64 the best feel wise but I'm not about to boycott the rest of series because they feel different.

Furthermore it's way too early to say whether this is competitive or not! It's been played for one day!

• Thumbs Up 6

The technical process is easy. It's a matter of editing values such as the damage an attack deals, its base knockback and knockback growth, the angle at which it hits foes, the hitbox size, duration etc. Hitstun isn't actually an independent value. It's something that's basically dependent on a few other attributes.

But actually creating a game that is well balanced is very difficult and very few companies succeed in doing so. This is mainly because tactics and technology are discovered for characters during the time the consumer plays them. A character people initially assume is great may end up being worse than initially thought (Pit, Ike) and vice versa (Olimar, Ice Climbers).

• Thumbs Up 1

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/article/first-thoughts-super-smash-bros-wii-u-perspective-competitive-player-e3/

This is a players thoughts on how smash 4 is at the moment from his own experience, figure it'd be somewhat relevant here for the more competitive people since it sounds like its almost there but the game isn't quite there yet with the mechanics as is right now so hopefully sakurai and the rest of the development team take this stuff to heart and make some more adjustments to the game before release.

Yeah, I hope they fix up that stuff. I hope they fix up the fact that certain moves have too much knockback as some people have mentioned (this slows down the game and makes it clunkier). I really hope they fix that up before release because honestly that tourney gameplay made me extremely hyped and then reading the analyses killed my hype a tiny bit so I strongly hope they fix that. 

So apparently Chunky and Cranky Kong are assist trophies(they have shown up in the demos, so there goes Cranky's chances, however I think we have a high chance of Dixie and K.Rool, we just need to wait and see

For comparison, the Brawl E For All demo was available for play 3 months before Brawl was officially out in Japan. That's the demo that everyone called "Melee 2.0".

If Brawl can change that much in three months with no player feedback on adjusting it, Smash 4 has just as much, if not more, of a possibility to be adjusted, particularly the Wii U version.

For comparison, the Brawl E For All demo was available for play 3 months before Brawl was officially out in Japan. That's the demo that everyone called "Melee 2.0".

If Brawl can change that much in three months with no player feedback on adjusting it, Smash 4 has just as much, if not more, of a possibility to be adjusted, particularly the Wii U version.

I would hope so. I suppose I'll try to remain optimistic about it. I mean, Sakuari approved of an official Smash tournament, it seems he cares more about the competitive side this time then he did with Brawl (COUGH TRIPPING COUGH). 

I doubt it, Sakurai did say that Smash U was aimed to appeal to both hardcore and casuals so even if they change it between now and launch i don't think the change will be much to make the game a Melee 2.0.

So apparently Chunky and Cranky Kong are assist trophies(they have shown up in the demos, so there goes Cranky's chances, however I think we have a high chance of Dixie and K.Rool, we just need to wait and see

Wait, Cranky's an AT too? I only know of Cranky appearing as a regular trophy. Still, though, Cranky really didn't have any chances. The only characters who had chances were Dixie and K. Rool. The fact that CHUNKY, a one-time character who only appeared in DK64, came back REALLY helps K. Rool's chances of being playable. I saw that last night and I was ecstatic because I lost all hope after the stupid leak was proven true.

I doubt it, Sakurai did say that Smash U was aimed to appeal to both hardcore and casuals so even if they change it between now and launch i don't think the change will be much to make the game a Melee 2.0.

Its not supposed to be Melee 2.0, though. Its supposed to be "in-between" Melee and Brawl. If they improve it and make it more in-between Melee and Brawl it should help the competitive scene a bit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wait, Cranky's an AT too? I only know of Cranky appearing as a regular trophy. Still, though, Cranky really didn't have any chances. The only characters who had chances were Dixie and K. Rool. The fact that CHUNKY, a one-time character who only appeared in DK64, came back REALLY helps K. Rool's chances of being playable. I saw that last night and I was ecstatic because I lost all hope after the stupid leak was proven true.

Yep, that's what I was thinking, and again the link is obviously not all knowing 

also Amiibo prototype packaging looks awesome

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/37780/amiibo-prototype-packaging-revealed

Amiibo Prototype Packaging Revealed

by Justin Berube - June 12, 2014, 1:04 am PDT

Total comments: 4 

We have some of the first prototype packaging images of Nintendo's upcoming Amiibo figures.

5.jpg

We have taken some of the first images of the prototype packaging for Nintendo's upcoming line of NFC figures known as Amiibo.

We managed to get prototype packaging pictures for Wii Fit Trainer, Pikachu, Kirby, Pit, Villager, and Princess Peach. Just please keep in mind, the back of these packages were completely blank, so you aren't missing anything there.

So do you like where Nintendo is going with the Amiibo packaging? Anything you wish they would change? Let's hear about it in the comments section below.1.jpg

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

I plan on getting the Samus and Fox ones for sure, if they have a buy 2 get one free I'll proably get Kirby

So yeah, I plan on getting a few depending on the price, expecting a $5-$10 dollar range myself

Its not supposed to be Melee 2.0, though. Its supposed to be "in-between" Melee and Brawl. If they improve it and make it more in-between Melee and Brawl it should help the competitive scene a bit.

Yeah, this is personally what i'm hoping for at the very least since expecting another melee is like setting your self up for disappointment (I think sakurai himself said that some of the mechanics in melee were a happy accident) so if it can at least strike that balance i'll be okay with it.

Decrease the landing lag on aerials, increase the knockback a bit on those moves that should be killing but can't just barely, add more autocancel properties on moves, add IASA in greater frequency, nerf rolling a bit, add a slightly larger window for dash-canceling, but don't increase to Melee levels, add more shieldstun, ship it out. Done.

It's not really about making it as fast-paced as Melee. It's about having a wide array of offensive approach options. Melee accomplished it and everyone knows why. 64 accomplished it by virtually having no good defensive options at all. Brawl at its core is indeed competitive, but the mechanics favor a defensive style of play. Just either have good approach options, or nerf the good defensive options a bit, and people can make a competitive game out of it.

Amiibo figures looking nice. I await the many pictures of SSMB members holding their Sonic Amiibo figure.

Oooo, this video mentions another 2 games compatible with Amiibo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MQ9rpGzlQYQ

Yoshi's wooly world, and Toad Treasure tracker, alongside smash and MK8

Is there a source for Cranky and Chunky being ATs? I haven't seen them anywhere...

So this guy really likes his Megaman poster.....

tumblr_n6zmtxNFxw1qeqag3o1_400.gif

Also that gameplay does look really awesome in motion. Good that Sonic has more killing power, he was lacking that in Brawl. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Is there a source for Cranky and Chunky being ATs? I haven't seen them anywhere...

Someone saw it at Smashfest. He's trying to get footage of the Chunky AT (he recorded it, but isn't sure if he managed to record Chunky). I'm not aware of a Cranky AT, all I heard was that he was merely a trophy.

I think i saw classic tails trophy in the 3ds version trailer the part were it showed the trophy room. That's when we also saw metal sonic trophy

No one except the loudest minority is asking for a Melee 2.0. We're fine with a Brawl and Melee inbetween, as long as it can work for the competitive scene.

As is, it seems like this game is pretty decisive, but is winning a few people over in the Smash fests; mostly those who played bottom tier back in the day.

All the same, I'm happy that everyone else is going to enjoy Smash as a party game and the biggest crossover event in Nintendo history. It's always a joy to see hype build up around here and other places, because at the end of the day, competitive Smash and casual Smash are two completely different things that can be enjoyed for different reasons. 

• Thumbs Up 4

They're going to talk more about the 3DS version soon on Treehouse, according to Nintendo's Twitter.

Even if I'm not bothered about the amiibo concept itself, those figures are downright brilliant. I'd consider buying them even without the Smash benefits because they're looking like beauties 

• Thumbs Up 2

Same, I love figures, especially of characters that don't get figures very often.

Also, PeachyHime has been making more apologies on Twitter, she shouldn't have to, it's a real shame that the competitve players including her and the champion and probably others are getting harassed by "fans". Eesh. Way to put a damper on what was otherwise a fun thing for everyone, including the competitors.

• Thumbs Up 1

Same here. While the features of Amiibo are cool I don't think I'll be using them a whole lot. I just want to collect some of these for display purposes!

Same, I love figures, especially of characters that don't get figures very often.

Also, PeachyHime has been making more apologies on Twitter, she shouldn't have to, it's a real shame that the competitve players including her and the champion and probably others are getting harassed by "fans". Eesh. Way to put a damper on what was otherwise a fun thing for everyone, including the competitors.

I don't see what the problem is. It'd be fine if she worded it in a way like "I don't mind Brawl but I prefer Project M." But the way she said it was incredibly condescending. Its not her saying she's not fully liking this game at this point, its the way she said it that's the problem.