Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I'm pretty surethe Pokemon I saw was a giratina. It was my first time see it appear in the game. It blows wind. Same thing as the wind blowing item.

I can't confirm that though because I barely remember how it looked.

If the mystery Pokemon was Giratina, maybe it wasn't like wind per se?  Maybe it was, I don't know, dark ghosty energy.  From the description I might've guessed Tornadus, but then I realised Tornadus is green and it's Thundurus that's blue.  I guess along the same lines, maybe Black Kyurem?  I guess it's pointless to ask if you don't remember quite what it looked like, but I'm intrigued.

I'm glad to see a clear lack of outright weak characters this time around. Especially compared to Brawl.

Yeah seriously, that Olimar and Kirby in the Invitational just seem so powerful compared to their Brawl selves.

Ugh, but I'm still disapointed with Mario's Final Smash through, it seems nearly the same as before. I was hoping for it to get more of a killing power, but I'm glad Super Sonic got nerfed.

Yeah seriously, that Olimar and Kirby in the Invitational just seem so powerful compared to their Brawl selves.

Ugh, but I'm still disapointed with Mario's Final Smash through, it seems nearly the same as before. I was hoping for it to get more of a killing power, but I'm glad Super Sonic got nerfed.

Olimar is actually top tier in Brawl! Maybe he's just tough to nerf, he's also kinda tough to be good with in the first place which might make people think he sucks when he's actually amazing.

I also wouldn't put too much thought onto a tentative tier list. With such a small play window so far, the best players are going to play with the characters they like most, and those characters are naturally going to be high in the tier list. A lot of competitive players seemed to like playing as Kirby, therefore Kirby is at the top. Same wirth Greninja. I think it's more a case of the characters towards the bottom being played less or having less thought put into playing them differently..

Also it's very strange how no one plays as Sonic despite him being the most-requested character. Did his Brawl moveset put people off him that much?

Also it's very strange how no one plays as Sonic despite him being the most-requested character. Did his Brawl moveset put people off him that much?

I think it's a combination of that and Sonic being a bit less popular compared to back in like 2006 when character requests were being made. 

I'm glad to see that Kirby and Greninja are top tier this time around! Kirby is a character I use a lot in Smash Bros and Greninja is a badass so yeah. XP I could tell from the Smash Bros. Tournament that they were damn powerful this time around.

Surprising to see Litte Mac as low tier though. I wouldn't have thought so...sure his air attacks suck but as long you stay on the ground he looks strong as hell.

Yeah lol, poor Sonic. From what I've seen in gameplay at E3 he seems a stronger character than in Brawl and luckily his FS is not as powerful nor does it last as long as it used to.

If this is in response to ZeRo's tier list, this tier list means nothing.  Regardless of the fact that he's a top player he's barely played the game.  It's a tier list of a work in progress game with an incomplete roster.  It will take months of tournament play before an actual decent tier list is formed.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic is pretty technical. No one played him for the invitational probably because he has a much higher learning curve compared to the rest of the cast. As in, every character has advanced techs, but playing Sonic well requires you to get fluent with them earlier than most. No surprise the players wouldn't want to risk losing the invitational due to being a step behind.

His Spindash shenanigans have been changed up from Brawl too.

-He can no longer shield cancel his Aerial Down B.

-He can carry his Spindash ad infinitum by hopping around with Vertical Spin Dash Jump. Think of a bouncy ball that never stops bouncing. That's what it looks like.

-Letting go of the directional buttons during VSDJ makes Sonic carry out the Spindash upon landing.

-Hitting folks with grounded Spindash makes him end Spindash sooner.

-Hitting folks with aerial Spindash has far less knockback, which allows him to combo better by jumping out of ASC.

-Sonic can now grab ledges straight out of Spindashes.

So yeah, same character, but his core gameplay has been tweaked a bit to make him a different beast.

Part of me thinks this is because they haven't had time to implement the new ones yet.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if tons of them stayed the same. My brother and I let out an audible groan when we saw Fox use the Landmaster. Seen enough of those in Brawl to last a lifetime.

Is anyone else disappointed that most characters have the same Final Smash as in Brawl?

I kinda expected it, since movesets in general don't change much between games.They're mostly just tweaked.

Sonic is pretty technical. No one played him for the invitational probably because he has a much higher learning curve compared to the rest of the cast. As in, every character has advanced techs, but playing Sonic well requires you to get fluent with them earlier than most. No surprise the players wouldn't want to risk losing the invitational due to being a step behind.

His Spindash shenanigans have been changed up from Brawl too.

-He can no longer shield cancel his Aerial Down B.

-He can carry his Spindash ad infinitum by hopping around with Vertical Spin Dash Jump. Think of a bouncy ball that never stops bouncing. That's what it looks like.

-Letting go of the directional buttons during VSDJ makes Sonic carry out the Spindash upon landing.

-Hitting folks with grounded Spindash makes him end Spindash sooner.

-Hitting folks with aerial Spindash has far less knockback, which allows him to combo better by jumping out of ASC.

-Sonic can now grab ledges straight out of Spindashes.

So yeah, same character, but his core gameplay has been tweaked a bit to make him a different beast.

Don't forget his new split kick down smash and his dash attack now has two decent knockback kicks at the end of it. I've heard his side tilt has been buffed as well, but I didn't use that in the demo I played.

Appreciate the improvements for some of the old FSes, though. DK's Konga Beat actually having a little meter that you can time your button presses to is going to help my use of it IMMEASURABLY.

I think potentially the reason for that is that arguably DK reps are Mario reps. DK and Mario span off of one another and DK characters often appear in Mario games but never vice versa (you never get Mario characters in DK games, Mario is the central hub and DK is still an offshoot). It might not be that 2 DK reps is too little, but that 10+ Mario-universe reps is too much. Ofc this is all arguable, but I can see why Sakurai might want to prioritise the expansion of other characters' universes that are completely separate and unique to Mario's over DK.

..I can see why DK fans might be annoyed by that kinda thinking though. Esp since mainseries Mario continues to get new reps.

Mario and Yoshi had a small cameo in DKC2

I don't think that's what he means, that was a very small cameo compared to playable character in multiple mario spinoff games.

All in all I don't really mind who's in the game, as long as it's fun and they aren't ridiculously over powered. I just want me some smash!

• Thumbs Up 1

If the mystery Pokemon was Giratina, maybe it wasn't like wind per se?  Maybe it was, I don't know, dark ghosty energy.  From the description I might've guessed Tornadus, but then I realised Tornadus is green and it's Thundurus that's blue.  I guess along the same lines, maybe Black Kyurem?  I guess it's pointless to ask if you don't remember quite what it looked like, but I'm intrigued.

Yea, I was blocked by people when watching so it was hard to get a good view of the Pokemon. When searching the Pokemon giratina was the closest one that matched the Pokemon I saw. Im not sure if it was dark blue or just black but I know I saw yellow with a bit of red and it was blowing heavy wind.

The ones you showed I can confirmed it was not them. If I see it I'll notice it.

I'll try find it some more.

Say I wonder if Pac-man will have his Pac-land hat as an alt, that would be cool

Don't forget his new split kick down smash and his dash attack now has two decent knockback kicks at the end of it. I've heard his side tilt has been buffed as well, but I didn't use that in the demo I played.

I was specifically talking about Sonic's Spindash techs and how they've changed up, since Sonic relies on his Spindash usage.

These Spindash techs are going to get even crazier once we find out Sonic's custom moves, lol.

I was specifically talking about Sonic's Spindash techs and how they've changed up, since Sonic relies on his Spindash usage.

These Spindash techs are going to get even crazier once we find out Sonic's custom moves, lol.

Oh, sorry. ;-;

But yeah, Sonic's customs are something I've been curious about... What would his Up B be customizable into?

Mac looks like he's going to be one of those characters that starts out at the bottom of the list but will slowly rise up as people develop skills and techniques for him...just like his original game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder what the other two moveset could be for his up B.

Maybe the spring could be a bomb or something lol.

For his side b, maybe the jump goes farther from the start.

For the down D can be something that would adjust the speed and power maybe. Or maybe it changes the way it hits the players.

Calling it now, one custom move for the Spring is Sonic spinning around like he does in a Sonic CD, complete with a hitbox. Less height from the bounce, and Sonic goes into helpless.

The other custom move is the Spring placed at a 45 degree angle like in the Genesis days. Same bounce distance.

• Thumbs Up 2