Nintendoga

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

It'd be surprising if he was a playable character, to be honest. I wouldn't object to Nabbit appearing in more games in the Mario series, but for now a cameo + hazard role suits him better in Smash.

I wasn't being serious, I'd be surprised too if he was.

Yeah, I did not catch the fact at first that Nabbit apparently shows up and stuffs players into his bag. That's a neat Stage Hazard.

Also I'm really thinking we're going to get a stage boss on the Colosseum, too.

That rumour was absolutely bullshit, I was kinda thinking "this sounds like a wishlist" as I read through it and the wording was strange, but "Snake returning as a trophy" really killed it for me.

If Nintendo went through the trouble to get Snake's rights and give royalties to Konami for his use, they may as well have gone all the way to make him playable. Him returning as a trophy is soooo unlikely if he's not playable.

That rumor was ridiculous. K. Rool an Assist Trophy, Mewtwo playable WITH Jigglypuff, despite Greninja being playable already, Snake a trophy only?

That actually hurt to read, nyaghh

Anyway, NABBIT WOW. That looks like a fun stage hazard.

Nabbit is cute, though I hope he's an easily avoidable stage hazard. I don't know if I'd like it much if he grabs you in the bag and it's instant KO.

Also, that leak is fake the moment I read Snake is in the game as a trophy. HahahaHAHAHAHAHAno. Forget about it, Snake is not in this game period. There's already three third party characters, highly doubt there will be a fourth added to the mix.

Brawl had Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Lucario, so six Pokemon reps isn't too out there. Especially from a franchise with 720 playable characters in it.

There's no true limit to how many characters from each franchise can be put in, anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pokemon got 6. There is a lot of pokemanz Lol.

Lol snake, he was pretty funny in brawl but I can't see him in the mix of the HD cartoons and him being even more realistic looking Lol.

Mario and Pokémon are Nintendo's biggest most popular franchises, them having the most playable characters isn't weird. Mario has 9 playable characters already. Yoshi, Wario and DK may have their "own franchises", but they are still Mario spinoffs. If Mewtwo got his own spinoff series, would it suddenly be "ok" for Pokémon to have more reps because he had his own character logo and stage?

I'm pretty confident Mewtwo and Jigglypuff will be playable, and people will complain even though Pokémon is regularly more successful than Mario nowadays.

The "slot limit" is also very much unspoken and imaginary. It seemed to exist in Brawl but we all know that Mewtwo was the closest character to being finished out of all the unfinished characters. There isn't really a slot limit. Plus, if Sakurai gave Wario and Yoshi their own "series'" in order to break that supposed slot limit, it means he's more than willing to bend the rules for the most popular franchises.

By the way, in the very first Smash Bros. game, the only franchises with multiple reps were... Mario and Pokémon. And even if Pokémon got 6 reps, it'd still be considerably less reps than Mario Universe reps. I really don't see the problem.

Mario and Pokémon are Nintendo's biggest most popular franchises, them having the most playable characters isn't weird. Mario has 9 playable characters already. Yoshi, Wario and DK may have their "own franchises", but they are still Mario spinoffs. If Mewtwo got his own spinoff series, would it suddenly be "ok" for Pokémon to have more reps because he had his own character logo and stage?

It wouldn't be Pokemon getting more reps, it'd be Hypothetical Mewtwo Spinoff getting more reps.

Trying to claim DK and Diddy as Mario characters is grasping for straws. The Donkey Kong franchise has more than set itself apart from the Mario games and barely has any connection to the franchise at all any more.

Both appear in Mario games, you don't get Zelda or Kirby characters in Mario games. They are part of the same universe, claiming they're not part of the same wider franchise is "grasping for straws", regardless of them having their own games.

Besides, even if they weren't part of the Mario franchise, Mario would still have 7 Smash Bros. reps. My entire point stands and remains completely valid.

Mario and Pokemon have more than enough reps.

I originally cared for Mewtwo to make a return, but if we have both Lucario and Greninja (which share a similar color scheme and body shape, oddly enough), as well as Charizard, Pikachu and the obvious-yet-unannounced Jigglypuff, then all that plus Mewtwo would be six reps, which is way more than necessary.

And as for Mario's reps..

We have him, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Rosalina, DK, Diddy, and Wario. That's nine reps. And yes, while Donkey Kong has had the Country series as well as various spinoffs, and Wario's had WarioWare and Wario Land, they're still canonically in the Mario universe. They share some mythos, they have similar gameplay qualities, heck they even make direct references to each other and share enemies / objects at times. And I'm stating that all as if them appearing in Mario's spinoff titles (Party, Kart, the sports games, etc.) didn't already make this clear. 

I don't care if Mewtwo would've been good, Waluigi would've been god-tier or whatever. I personally don't want to see any more slots blown on Mario or Pokemon whenever they take up massive chunks of the roster already.

I still think 6 reps is totally reasonable for Pokémon considering they had 6 in Brawl and Mario had 7 even back in Melee. Pokémon is huge and is one of the most successful franchises in the world, and is probably currently more successful than Mario, and I don't see a problem at all with Pokémon having 6, especially if that's just one more than Zelda and just one less than Mario.

I'd love to see Mewtwo join the fight again but Pokemon already having so many reps in SSB4 makes me wonder if he will make a reappearance. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. =[

Btw, do we know for certain if Wario is returning? I guess he is since a majority of Brawl's characters are in the game now but, don't you think it's odd that him and Metaknight still haven't been revealed?

Both appear in Mario games, you don't get Zelda or Kirby characters in Mario games. They are part of the same universe, claiming they're not part of the same wider franchise is "grasping for straws", regardless of them having their own games.

They obviously have a closer relationship than Mario and Zelda (although Link did cameo in SMRPG and SM3DW), but why should they have to remain eternally in Mario's shadow just because they started in the same series? DK's had his own series for ages, one that's completely apart from the Mario universe.

Besides, even if they weren't part of the Mario franchise, Mario would still have 7 Smash Bros. reps. My entire point stands and remains completely valid.

Only if you're counting Yoshi and Wario, and while Yoshi's arguable, Wario's clearly in the same class as DK. If a Warioware character were playable, would you consider them to be a Mario rep, even though they've literally never been in a Mario game?