Nintendoga

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

When I first played Melee back in 2004, I only knew the Mario and Pokémon cast. Kirby I was sort of familiar with since I'd seen his games in many a videogame store. The Zelda cast was still a curiosity though again I was familiar with it, but everything else was a total mystery since I'd never really played many Nintendo games back then. I was more into the Playstation 1 and 2 (those were the only consoles we had!) and I never owned an N64 or SNES. No Nintendo consoles until the Gamecube, and we only ever had a regular ol Gameboy.

Now as for Brawl, the only ones I didn't recognise in that game were Pit, Ike and Lucas. By the time that came out I was already very much into Nintendo and knew about almost all the games and characters. There is no character in SSB4 that I don't recognise now! =3

Geez that's like the exact same situation as mine, just replace the PS1/2 with an Xbox and Dreamcast.

It'll be Krystal along with confirming Falco and/or Wolf, ending in "Year of Star Fox, Bitches," with a smart bomb exploding behind the text, and then I'll be really happy while the internet blows up that it wasn't Shulk or something :U.

Or yeah it's whatever you guys are saying, sure wynaut

seriously though I do hope the 3 minute video means it includes another veteran returning or something XD

I'm hoping for a veteran as well. IDK who, though, maybe Ness or Captain Falcon.

What will Shulk's intro tagline be? I'm thinking something like:

"Shulk foresees victory!" or "Shulk's time has come!"

I like those, I hope they do something like that.

They wouldn't waste a whole 3 minutes on a veteran. If a Veteran was involved, it would be like the Greninja trailer.

It wouldn't exactly be a "waste" but I agree, 3 mins is too long to spend on a vet. If a vet was shown it'd probably be alongside a Newcomer like you said.

I personally still think the only vets we'll see before launch may be as little as Wario, Meta Knight and Ice Climbers.. they may be saving everyone else as a secret character.

Infact, it's actually possible that Wario, MetaKnight and IC are all secret characters now, and that we'll only see Newcomers in the run up to release. One a month.

I think there's a good chance there'll be a veteran included in the reveal. Maybe Mr. Game & Watch since he was hinted at during E3.

On the other topic of being introduce to things through Smash Bros, for me it's like this:

64: I knew most characters somewhat. I knew of their existence and names (And even knew that Samus was a woman! laugh.png), but didn't know all too many details. We had a Genesis instead of a Super Nintendo and I spilled juice all over our NES when I was 3 or 4, so I only got to play their games at friends and family and the N64 and GB iterations, which some didn't have. Falcon was the one I didn't know, though. Like I said before, I thought he was from Metroid and was Samus' rival. I was pretty familiar with Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Link, Fox and Kirby.

Melee: I knew everyone but the Fire Emblem guys. I thought Roy was really cool, but didn't really care much about Marth.

Brawl: This time I knew everyone. I didn't know much about Lucas, but I knew of his existence and from what he was. Same for Ike.

SSB4: This time I know everyone playable again, I think. The most obscure thing for me so far is Pac-Land. The only Pac-Man platformers I've played are Pac-Man World 2 and Pac In Time. If Chorus Men get in, I don't know them, though I have played a bit of Rhythm Heaven at the store or a friends' once. I've never played Xenoblade, but I knew Shulk by name and look. Not a huge fan of his sword's design.

I think there's a good chance there'll be a veteran included in the reveal. Maybe Mr. Game & Watch since he was hinted at during E3.

Hinted? Only hinted? More like straight up revealed in that Pacman trailer! XP

But of course, we already knew G&W was going to be in because he's awesome and retro.

I might as well join in with how familiar I was with the franchises in each installment.

64: I basically only did not know who Ness was, as I had never played a Mother game or even really knew about the series at the time.

Melee: I only did not know who the Fire Emblem characters were. I had at least knowledge of the Ice Climbers and Game & Watch.

Brawl: There were no characters that I didn't know of.

Smash 4: If they're in, I did not know the Chorus Men from Rhythm Heaven.

Also, Smash Bros. didn't introduce me to any franchises because of this. All the franchises I cared about I already knew about, and as for Mother... let's just say I don't care enough about it to really play it myself, and that and Fire Emblem are the only franchises it introduced me to. I also don't care for Fire Emblem though. I like characters from both and story aspects of both, but just never got into playing them.

I barely knew anything other than Pokemon and vague knowledge of Mario when I played Melee. By Brawl I was only slightly better (I started getting into Zelda around that time at least). This'll be the first Smash where I, at the very least, know about everyone. XP

They should show Reyn, let him say his quote "Glad I'm here? No? Anyone?" with a few seconds of silence before Shulk comes in and gets officially revealed. biggrin.png

I thought Reyn was more popular that Shulk unsure.png

Assuming Shulk is the new challanger, the power of his Monado will already be useless in multiplayer matches. How can it predict the next move of real players?

When I first played Smash Bros Melee, I knew absolutely nobody aside from Mario, Pikachu, and Kirby. The trophies taught me a lot about all of the characters before I started jumping into their respective games, and by the time Brawl came around I could recognize most of the cast. Fire Emblem and Mother threw me off a bit, but aside from those franchises I knew everyone.

I thought Reyn was more popular that Shulk unsure.png

Assuming Shulk is the new challanger, the power of his Monado will already be useless in multiplayer matches. How can it predict the next move of real players?

The Monado did more than just predict the future, since its main use in gameplay is for buffs or trapping enemies, I can see them giving the Monado a wide range of uses.

I know I shouldn't buy into the hype so early but I'd love to play as Shulk and I think he could be a fantastic and unique addition to the long line of sword fighters in the Smash line-up.

Surprisingly I knew about most of the characters when I first played the N64 Smash Bros. at about 4 or 5, although it was mostly due to the recent N64 games at the time (such as Star Fox 64 for Fox and Pokémon Stadium for Pikachu). The only ones I didn't really know about were Samus, Ness, and Captain Falcon. The latter was funny because before I'd unlocked him, my brother was trying to describe him to me and I thought he'd look like a pirate captain or something because of the "Captain" in his name. After I unlocked him, I also thought he was Samus' rival since you had to fight him on the Brinstar stage beforehand.

By Melee I pretty much knew about everyone except Marth, Roy, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch. By Brawl the only ones I didn't know about were Ike, Lucas, Pit, and Olimar.

And now, like everyone else, I'm familiar with everyone on the Wii U/3DS roster so far, and that makes me pretty excited. I only know about Shulk because of people online asking for him over the past few months, but I kind of want to play Xenoblade Chronicles at some point so I can get to know him better. Him being in Smash would only make me want to do that even more.

I know I shouldn't buy into the hype so early but I'd love to play as Shulk and I think he could be a fantastic and unique addition to the long line of sword fighters in the Smash line-up.

B-B-But he's not Cloud! The only Sword fighter that needs to be in Smash 4 is Cloud!

8-Cloud-Strife.jpg

He aint happy he's not in.

B-B-But he's not Cloud! The only Sword fighter that needs to be in Smash 4 is Cloud!

*snip*

He aint happy he's not in.

How fitting that your 4,444th post is in the Smash 4 thread.

Too many 4s

At least coming into this game I'm not like "whose that?" Well I dont know who shulk/ chorus men or chrom but if they are in I have an idea for what they are about.

Same with palutena.

>Jonathan Holmes

Eh, he's ok but sometimes he writes huge articles on things that don't need huge articles just to sound clever or interesting or different. I don't really get how he thinks.

I don't really think the "competitive scene" would play Smash competitively if they didn't find it fun. Yaknow.