Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I'm ok with some randomness, if there is an element of player control to them and a strategy. Take Peach's turnips for instance; the stitch-face most especially. That turnip is liable to do 35% of damage whenever it harms a player and is usually an instant KO. However,  it is not a guaranteed hit until it makes contact with it's target, so the player must manuever around the opponent in an attempt to find a blind spot where they are less likely to dodge when you throw the turnip. However, even then it's not a guaranteed victory, because other players can catch the turnip and, in some instances, reflect it back.

6:38

It's the perfect balance of luck and skill if you ask me, because while the weapon may come randomly, it's up to the smart player to implement it. 

Tripping is completely random and leaves the player helpless for a second, and it throws them off, giving their opponent the upper hand to counteract it, especially if the opponent was the one on the offensive. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Tripping might not bother players who are less serious about the game, but in a competitive environment where opponents will capitalize on whatever small advantages they can take those one or two seconds are more than enough to lose you a game.

In Brawl, every dash is a test of character, a display of willingness to play the odds. That kind of acceptance of random elements is what elevates a game to a sport. 

Uh... What? No. I ran willy-nilly in Brawl, it didn't matter. It was not a test. It happened so infrequently that I never even thought about it- it was just annoying when it did happen. And it being random was a detriment to the game as a whole, whether you played competitively or casually. I played casually and I thought it got old really fast. 

This is like, Sequelitis levels of nonsense reaching for a point. And when talking about why Brawl wasn't a game for the competitive Melee scene, it seems silly to isolate tripping, because there are other reasons. 

• Thumbs Up 7

I always thought of tripping as a means of discouraging dash dancing, because it's only possible to trip right at the start of the dash and dancing is essentially just one dash start after another. If it were only that I wouldn't have a problem with it, but the fact that you can slip from just a single dash means it punishes the act of... moving, basically? At complete random? Which is, you know, a whole other leauge of stupid. I'm not sorry that they're gone, but on some level I feel they could've worked if there were an actual pattern to it. Like immunity to tripping on the first consecutive dash and steadily increasing chances every time you cancel one into another, something like that. Not that there aren't more subtle ways of cutting down on metagame exploits - we've gathered as much from wavedashing.

I'm more or less in agreement with Visionary otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another casual player here who never understood why tripping was introduced and won't miss it either.  Items may be random, stage hazards may be random, but they can be avoided or used to the player's advantage once introduced.  There is an element of planning and decision making to them.  If someone else gets there first because they were nearer at the time they appeared, then yeah that's bad luck and "random".  But there's no strategy or decisions or planning to tripping.  You don't see it coming, you have no scope to avoid it, you just occasionally get a light slap in the face by the game and that's... fun apparently.

Because most people tend to see Bandana Dee as another Waddle Dee. Which he is. He may be his own character, but really, the only reason he was created was for four-player co-op in some Kirby games. I'd prefer someone like Magalor if we were to get a fourth Kirby rep.

Which is exactly why everyone automatically chooses Meta Knight or Dedede in multiplayer and never discovers how amazing using Spear all the way through the game is.  ;-;

• Thumbs Up 3

Wait there are people who LIKE tripping? O_o

I mean sure I hardly noticed it most of the time, but when it did happen it got old real fast. For me, it slowed down the game and there was no point to it whatsoever. Also, tripping is a pain in the ass when you're playing competitively because it leaves you open for attack.

So yeah, I'm glad they got rid of tripping in this game and I think the Dtoid guy hasn't got a clue what he's talking about. =B

I'm still hoping for the day Sakurai reintroduces Wavedashing, Dash-Dancing and L-canceling, each with their own data value so that they can be recorded, but, as a system of risk-reward, tie the inputs to a set time interval, and the more of any input you do within that interval, the greater the chance you automatically trip.

It would be insanely trollish, but insanely awesome at the same time. Plus casuals don't have to feel bad for being so far away outmatched if they get a free Smash Attack because someone wanted to Wavedash a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still hoping for the day Sakurai reintroduces Wavedashing, Dash-Dancing and L-canceling, each with their own data value so that they can be recorded, but, as a system of risk-reward, tie the inputs to a set time interval, and the more of any input you do within that interval, the greater the chance you automatically trip.

It would be insanely trollish, but insanely awesome at the same time. Plus casuals don't have to feel bad for being so far away outmatched if they get a free Smash Attack because someone wanted to Wavedash a lot.

I... wouldn't mind that, actually. Adding in Advance Techniques, but also adding penalties for using them to much, adding to the risk-reward factor. However, the competitive community would scream and go batshit insane if that happened.

Those people be trippin'.

*ba dum tish*

I didn't mind tripping all that much, but I'm glad they removed it.

I just hope Capcom doesn't go and just remove Mega Man (or cancel the game, because he's in it), because of that STUPID "Mega Man Gets Cancelled" Meme. That meme's getting old fast!

I just hope Capcom doesn't go and just remove Mega Man (or cancel the game, because he's in it), because of that STUPID "Mega Man Gets Cancelled" Meme. That meme's getting old fast!

Why would you think that would happen? Both versions of the game are approaching gold-release status; it's far too late to pull the plug on it in any fashion at this point.

Why would you think that would happen? Both versions of the game are approaching gold-release status; it's far too late to pull the plug on it in any fashion at this point.

I guess it must be the joking around that the SEGA Forums are known for in the Nintendo section. They joked around that because Capcom's attending EVO along with Nintendo, that they would replace Mega Man with Ryu, and announce Ultra Street Fighter 4 U (as in For You!) So we can have touch screen Ultra Combos... in HD!

I guess it must be the joking around that the SEGA Forums are known for in the Nintendo section. They joked around that because Capcom's attending EVO along with Nintendo, that they would replace Mega Man with Ryu, and announce Ultra Street Fighter 4 U (as in For You!) So we can have touch screen Ultra Combos... in HD!

Replacing Megaman( a complete character) with Ryu(would need to be made from scratch) would be fucking stupid. It's like if they replaced Mario with Isaac(no offense to Isaac fans).

That's about as stupid (or as crazy) as putting in more third party characters from ONE company than the others. I get that Sonic Battle was popular at the time, but that's no reason to add Tails into Super Smash Bros. as a playable character. If he gets in, then maybe Capcom can add in either Roll or Ryu, and Namco can add in Klonoa (because the furry lovers want someone who is Sonic's height to also get in) so they can all shout their collective "WAHOO!"

...Why would you add something like this? I'm sorry but intentionally adding something like this just seems dumb. Punishing players for being better at certain aspects of the game for no reason doesn't seem that awesome at all. The point of mastering those techniques is so you can use them as often as possible to get the best results, this sort of undermines that mindset to me.

• Thumbs Up 3

...Why would you add something like this? I'm sorry but intentionally adding something like this just seems dumb. Punishing players for being better at certain aspects of the game for no reason doesn't seem that awesome at all. The point of mastering those techniques is so you can use them as often as possible to get the best results, this sort of undermines that mindset to me.

I think the idea is: advanced techniques are available to use, but the more you use them the more risk there is when trying to use them.

Yea I posted this in the status so I thought I'd post it here too.

if shulk is in smash 4, I'll just be interested to see how he plays. I don't even care about him aaand that makes the reveal less interesting. oh well I'm just excited to see more gameplay of smash.

• Thumbs Up 1

http://smashboards.com/threads/heir-to-the-monado-shulk-for-ssb4.324326/page-147#post-17056673

If Shulk get announce tomorrow, this is going to confirm the gematsu leak.

No its not. Everyone believes Shulk was the rep for Monday anyway. If he announced it a few weeks ago, fine. This is a completely different situation from "Mii Fighter," because he got the name right. This time?

Out of all the remaining Gematsu leaked characters, Shulk was always the most likely not to get changed or altered during development. The Xenoblade developers retweeted the announcement. Hell, even BEFORE the Xenoblade developers retweeted the announcement everyone believed it was Shulk anyway.

And if Sal supposedly got an email some time ago, why the hell did he wait so long to post it? I already believe the Gematsu leak is legit but outdated anyway. This is the problem, I knew EXACTLY this kind of ****ing shit was going to go down. People are going to say when Shulk is revealed that it only further proves the Gematsu leak because of this "new" leak, when almost EVERYONE came to the conclusion that Shulk was the Monday rep anyway.

Huh. Didn't see that one coming.

tumblr_n8oucxpAWh1sntotwo1_500.png

Rayman's third party, right?

Either we will get Jimmy Neutron or a Bwahsome creature

Holy crap I thought it was actually just some fake picture, and then I went and looked at the miiverse.

What the bloody hell are you doign to us, Sakurai?

A RAYMAN trophy? What? That's... new. I doubt Rayman's going to be playable, but it sounds like third-party trophies of popular characters to appear on Nintendo consoles might be a thing now. I heard about that and I thought it was fake. Holy crap.