Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Whether she's a clone of Marth with her own character slot, or just an alternate skin for him.

I don't know what's so confusing about this.

If she was an Alt, she wouldn't have been revealed in the Trailer like she did. She has her own official render and separate page of the Smash 4 official site. If she was just an Alt. for Marth and they wanted to make some significant notice to it...they would've made her share the same page with Marth like they had did for Male & Female Robin.

We're STILL discussing whether or not Lucina is a different character or just a Alt?

Why would they go through that entire trailer, introducing her with her own thing, and giving her her own page with Newcomer showing on it?

Making her a alt makes as much sense as making Shadow a alt for Sonic or Protoman a alt for Megaman. They are not the same character despite similarities. Lucina is Lucina, and Marth is Marth. They aren't gonna put that much effort in just for a alt skin. It just seems so ridiculous to assume they made a trailer like this just for a alt.

In my mind, Lucina could be a stand alone character or they could be using her as an alternate version of Marth.  Both interpretations seem reasonable to me.  And if she is being used as an alternate Marth, it would still make sense to highlight her in the ways that they've done, because she is still an additional character being featured in the game, even if she isn't functioning as a stand alone character.

And that's not even getting into the fact that one character being used as an alternate version of another would be pretty damn significant in its own right, and certainly worth highlighting in a trailer, at the very least.

She's not an alt, guys. She has her own portion of the site and had a trailer partially dedicated to her. They're not going through the trouble to do that for an alt. Granted, I'm biased because I hate the idea of characters having alts that are completely different characters, but I'm still 100% positive she has her own slot. Why is it so hard to believe that she's just a clone?

Lucina's in the same situation as Dark Pit. Two blokes that look identical to the original, but have their own mannerisms and personalities that make them their own characters. Unlike Lucina though, Dark Pit never got the character box.

Every newcomer up to this point had a video focusing on them. Except, technically, Charizard, who also got the typical square. Lucina is a newcomer, but she just wasn't the highlight of the video. Robin gets top billing, and that's why he has the newcomer banner.

Lucina's page has the Newcomer banner on it, the Smash Bros. main page update calls Lucina a "New Challenger", and viewing the main page on mobile brings up Lucina in a newcomer square as well. There's a lot of evidence going for standalone Lucina.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe because they know that Lucina is a popular character who has a decent amount of requests for a playable slot, and they figured that showcasing her like this would be more exciting for fans of the character than just making a casual mention of it.

If anything, I personally  think doing this and then just having her be a alt would be very underwhelming for many of her fans considering they really give the impression of "new character."

It seems Lucina's has Marth's old attributes. According to the e3 demo Marth is slower and his air game was nerfed. Also Lucina doesn't seem to hit with her sword's tip.

If I could compare this to two other characters it would be Fox, and Falco. Fox had several changes in Melee, but his old attributes were givin to Falco.

She's not an alt, guys. She has her own portion of the site and had a trailer partially dedicated to her. They're not going through the trouble to do that for an alt. Granted, I'm biased because I hate the idea of characters having alts that are completely different characters, but I'm still 100% positive she has her own slot. Why is it so hard to believe that she's just a clone?

Because it would dumb for the developers to go back to crappy Melee style direct copy clones after Brawl managed to completely avoid that problem.  And, as SilentDoom has pointed out, she's even more similar to Marth than Roy was, and Roy was one of the crappy copy clones.

• Thumbs Up 1

I may not play or like the Fire Emblem series but I liked playing as Roy in Melee so I'm actually very ok with a few more reps. But I'm still crossing my fingers for some new DK fep. That being said if this Robin character uses magic in his attacks along with a sword I may add him to my growing list of mains

You know, I wonder.

If Sakurai got the guys who did the Palutena's Revolting Dinner shorts and Fire Emblem: Awakening cutscenes, why didn't he get Studio OLM to do an anime-styled short for Greninja.

I guess it'd be easier to just do it in 3D.

You know, I wonder.

If Sakurai got the guys who did the Palutena's Revolting Dinner shorts and Fire Emblem: Awakening cutscenes, why didn't he get Studio OLM to do an anime-styled short for Greninja.

I guess it'd be easier to just do it in 3D.

Easier?  Maybe in terms of actually getting the studio, but in terms of actual man hours it's definitely more difficult.  Or at the very least more time consuming since render times need to be taken into account.

Regarding clones, I don't have an issue with them with the EXCEPTION of Ganon.  When clones go cross-franchise like that it feels so wrong and disrespectful.

Can you imagine the rage if Ridley was in... but he's a Charizard clone with the same level of difference as Ganon to Captain Falcon.

• Thumbs Up 6

I feel like Lucina was made mainly due to the team having some extra time and wanted to give FE fans what I assume, a fan favorite. So I wouldn't really call her a "wasted" slot but more of a gift then anything.

But they did try to remdy this by announcing Robin (Who was the most requested FE character next to Lucina) and the popular veteran, Captain Falcon.

Regarding clones, I don't have an issue with them with the EXCEPTION of Ganon.  When clones go cross-franchise like that it feels so wrong and disrespectful.

Can you imagine the rage if Ridley was in... but he's a Charizard clone with the same level of difference as Ganon to Captain Falcon.

The thing is Gabon was never intended to be in Melee. The clones besides luigi were added because Sakurai thought the roster was too small. He said ganondorf only got in due to the fact he and falcon had a similar body shop. He called ganondorf lucky because of it.

Am I the only one who'd didnt hate the Melee clones?

I don't hate them, I just think it's stupid that they're direct copies with no unique attacks or interesting variant moves.  I mean, even when Luigi was at his most clone-y, in Smash 64, he still had a unique dash attack and distinct variants of the Fireball and the Super Jump Punch.

The thing is Gabon was never intended to be in Melee. The clones besides luigi were added because Sakurai thought the roster was too small. He said ganondorf only got in due to the fact he and falcon had a similar body shop. He called ganondorf lucky because of it.

In that sense then Ganon has been due for a proper moveset since Brawl, since he would've been planned from the start in that one.

Sort of makes you pessimistic about this one though.  If Sakurai decided "people will want him to be consistent" for that one, nothing stops him thinking the same here at all.

I'm quoting two gamefaqs posts here about why Lucina got in over chrom, so credit to those two.

"1) Sakurai often asks for Intelligent Systems' opinion on who to add. IS loves Lucina, just look at all the merchandise and advertisements featuring her.

I think this deserves special mention. A lot of people expected Chrom because they thought of him as the "poster-boy" or the "face" of Awakening. I disagree, mainly because Lucina's on 90% of the promotional material I've seen.

You've got:

- the artbook called "Knights of Iris" has a picture of Lucina taking off her mask

- the complete soundtrack has a picture of Lucina in a dress, along with piano sheet music for her theme

- the advertisement poster for the second series of DLC features a bunch of characters, but Lucina is by far the most prominent

- there's going to be a collectible model figurine, of which only her and two other characters get (neither of which are Chrom)

- I think at E3 when talking about Amiibos, they used a picture of Masked Lucina

As for Chrom, whenever he's used on promotional material, he shares a spot with Lucina. Game's cover? Lucina's there too. That picture of Chrom and Lucina dueling? Obviously Lucina's there too. The Puzzle Swap puzzle? Chrom fighting Lucina. SMT X FE trailer? Lucina's there too. Monster Hunter cameo? There's Chrom...with Lucina too.

Like, it's almost never exclusively about Chrom when he's used to promote the game, while Lucina is featured both with or without Chrom. While in the main story I would say Chrom's more important, I get the feeling that Lucina's favoured as an "advertising" type character, much like how Lyn's featured as an Assist Trophy for her game, even though she's the least important protagonist in hers too."

I'm quoting two gamefaqs posts here about why Lucina got in over chrom, so credit to those two.

"1) Sakurai often asks for Intelligent Systems' opinion on who to add. IS loves Lucina, just look at all the merchandise and advertisements featuring her.

I think this deserves special mention. A lot of people expected Chrom because they thought of him as the "poster-boy" or the "face" of Awakening. I disagree, mainly because Lucina's on 90% of the promotional material I've seen.

You've got:

- the artbook called "Knights of Iris" has a picture of Lucina taking off her mask

- the complete soundtrack has a picture of Lucina in a dress, along with piano sheet music for her theme

- the advertisement poster for the second series of DLC features a bunch of characters, but Lucina is by far the most prominent

- there's going to be a collectible model figurine, of which only her and two other characters get (neither of which are Chrom)

- I think at E3 when talking about Amiibos, they used a picture of Masked Lucina

As for Chrom, whenever he's used on promotional material, he shares a spot with Lucina. Game's cover? Lucina's there too. That picture of Chrom and Lucina dueling? Obviously Lucina's there too. The Puzzle Swap puzzle? Chrom fighting Lucina. SMT X FE trailer? Lucina's there too. Monster Hunter cameo? There's Chrom...with Lucina too.

Like, it's almost never exclusively about Chrom when he's used to promote the game, while Lucina is featured both with or without Chrom. While in the main story I would say Chrom's more important, I get the feeling that Lucina's favoured as an "advertising" type character, much like how Lyn's featured as an Assist Trophy for her game, even though she's the least important protagonist in hers too."

Lyn is the postergirl of Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword because she's the very first FE main Lord the west saw in an actual localized Fire Emblem game. That makes her very notable and iconic, hence why she got the slot of an AT before any other FE character.

Also, since we have TWO Awakening playable characters and Chrom is Robin's Final Smash, I really think we're going to get Assist Trophies from past games instead of Awakening.