Nintendoga

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Regarding clones, I don't have an issue with them with the EXCEPTION of Ganon.  When clones go cross-franchise like that it feels so wrong and disrespectful.

Can you imagine the rage if Ridley was in... but he's a Charizard clone with the same level of difference as Ganon to Captain Falcon.

The thing is Gabon was never intended to be in Melee. The clones besides luigi were added because Sakurai thought the roster was too small. He said ganondorf only got in due to the fact he and falcon had a similar body shop. He called ganondorf lucky because of it.

Am I the only one who'd didnt hate the Melee clones?

I don't hate them, I just think it's stupid that they're direct copies with no unique attacks or interesting variant moves.  I mean, even when Luigi was at his most clone-y, in Smash 64, he still had a unique dash attack and distinct variants of the Fireball and the Super Jump Punch.

The thing is Gabon was never intended to be in Melee. The clones besides luigi were added because Sakurai thought the roster was too small. He said ganondorf only got in due to the fact he and falcon had a similar body shop. He called ganondorf lucky because of it.

In that sense then Ganon has been due for a proper moveset since Brawl, since he would've been planned from the start in that one.

Sort of makes you pessimistic about this one though.  If Sakurai decided "people will want him to be consistent" for that one, nothing stops him thinking the same here at all.

I'm quoting two gamefaqs posts here about why Lucina got in over chrom, so credit to those two.

"1) Sakurai often asks for Intelligent Systems' opinion on who to add. IS loves Lucina, just look at all the merchandise and advertisements featuring her.

I think this deserves special mention. A lot of people expected Chrom because they thought of him as the "poster-boy" or the "face" of Awakening. I disagree, mainly because Lucina's on 90% of the promotional material I've seen.

You've got:

- the artbook called "Knights of Iris" has a picture of Lucina taking off her mask

- the complete soundtrack has a picture of Lucina in a dress, along with piano sheet music for her theme

- the advertisement poster for the second series of DLC features a bunch of characters, but Lucina is by far the most prominent

- there's going to be a collectible model figurine, of which only her and two other characters get (neither of which are Chrom)

- I think at E3 when talking about Amiibos, they used a picture of Masked Lucina

As for Chrom, whenever he's used on promotional material, he shares a spot with Lucina. Game's cover? Lucina's there too. That picture of Chrom and Lucina dueling? Obviously Lucina's there too. The Puzzle Swap puzzle? Chrom fighting Lucina. SMT X FE trailer? Lucina's there too. Monster Hunter cameo? There's Chrom...with Lucina too.

Like, it's almost never exclusively about Chrom when he's used to promote the game, while Lucina is featured both with or without Chrom. While in the main story I would say Chrom's more important, I get the feeling that Lucina's favoured as an "advertising" type character, much like how Lyn's featured as an Assist Trophy for her game, even though she's the least important protagonist in hers too."

I'm quoting two gamefaqs posts here about why Lucina got in over chrom, so credit to those two.

"1) Sakurai often asks for Intelligent Systems' opinion on who to add. IS loves Lucina, just look at all the merchandise and advertisements featuring her.

I think this deserves special mention. A lot of people expected Chrom because they thought of him as the "poster-boy" or the "face" of Awakening. I disagree, mainly because Lucina's on 90% of the promotional material I've seen.

You've got:

- the artbook called "Knights of Iris" has a picture of Lucina taking off her mask

- the complete soundtrack has a picture of Lucina in a dress, along with piano sheet music for her theme

- the advertisement poster for the second series of DLC features a bunch of characters, but Lucina is by far the most prominent

- there's going to be a collectible model figurine, of which only her and two other characters get (neither of which are Chrom)

- I think at E3 when talking about Amiibos, they used a picture of Masked Lucina

As for Chrom, whenever he's used on promotional material, he shares a spot with Lucina. Game's cover? Lucina's there too. That picture of Chrom and Lucina dueling? Obviously Lucina's there too. The Puzzle Swap puzzle? Chrom fighting Lucina. SMT X FE trailer? Lucina's there too. Monster Hunter cameo? There's Chrom...with Lucina too.

Like, it's almost never exclusively about Chrom when he's used to promote the game, while Lucina is featured both with or without Chrom. While in the main story I would say Chrom's more important, I get the feeling that Lucina's favoured as an "advertising" type character, much like how Lyn's featured as an Assist Trophy for her game, even though she's the least important protagonist in hers too."

Lyn is the postergirl of Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword because she's the very first FE main Lord the west saw in an actual localized Fire Emblem game. That makes her very notable and iconic, hence why she got the slot of an AT before any other FE character.

Also, since we have TWO Awakening playable characters and Chrom is Robin's Final Smash, I really think we're going to get Assist Trophies from past games instead of Awakening.

You know, what would have been awesome for a FE rep is if they had Titania.

300px-Titania.jpeg

Really, how many axe fighters do we have in Smash? And a female one at that? Now that's something you can make a unique moveset over.

Or catgirl Lethe...or Lucia if we want another sword user. Then again, I'm too much of a sucker for the Tellius series compared to the Awakening. Doesn't matter all that much tho. laugh.png

But really, I kinda do want Titania. I don't even care about popularity.

dLyEldz.png

OFFICER DOWN, OFFICER DOWN, SHOTS FIRED

And at this point this game has like HOW many female characters now? Peach, Samus, ZSS, Zelda, Shiek, Rosalina, WFT, Palutena, now Lucina and Female Robin?

This just goes to show how lazy some teams can be when it comes to female characters, nevermind a large variety of them.

Nope. There is one. Three, even. Lucina explained!

72qgjb.jpg

Pic of the day. Along with Robin, Lucina joins the battle!! Her physical ablilites are identical to Marth's--it must be in her D.N.A. However, where Marth's power is concentrated in the tip of the sword, Lucina's attack strength is balanced throughout the weapon, which might make her easier to control. She's also a little bit shorter than Marth.

juab9s.jpg

With the Wii Fit Trainers, the male and female Robins, the Villagers, and Little Mac, varying their appearances and voices works just like selecting alternate color variations. However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually.

2rm5dt1.jpg

By the way…there's probably no chance you'll be able to see this in the game, but Lucina has the mark of Naga in her left eye.

uuuuugh...

goddammit. Nothing against Lucina. I just really dislike the idea that She could be now taking up a spot on the roster. A spot a more unique fighter could be taking.

That and for petes sake why does Fire Emblem have 4 Reps now. Am I really missing an amazing game? I just never liked Strategy games, but apparently if its this popular to make this happen...

Would have made more sense to have the M and F WFT's next to the M and F Robin's but whatever. Also, Lucina now confirmed to be a clone with slight differences I guess. And no one was surprised that day.

uuuuugh...

goddammit. Nothing against Lucina. I just really dislike the idea that She could be now taking up a spot on the roster. A spot a more unique fighter could be taking.

That and for petes sake why does Fire Emblem have 4 Reps now. Am I really missing an amazing game? I just never liked Strategy games, but apparently if its this popular to make this happen...

There's not much to worry about Lucina "taking up a slot". It most likely took them no time at all to put her into the game. I'm willing to bet it took longer to assemble her voice clips than it did to actually make her work.

Fire Emblem is getting pretty popular nowadays thanks to Awakening, so the newcomers' inclusions are warranted. To be honest, I'm surprised we didn't get more sooner. The series was always big in Japan, IIRC.

So...wait...

Marth is more sluggish now with more KO power with his tippered attacks naturally.

Lucina is a seemingly faster Marth with less KO power but evened out power on the sword overall, and she had little to no landing lag in the trailer which could be unique asset of hers or just a general buff to landing aerials in general.

But if this is right all of the good qualities of Marth were split between him and Lucina.

...I'm...not sure how to feel about this...maybe I'm just thinking about it too hard

I'm cool with this. Clones are pretty much bonus characters on the roster anyway.

The best part is that it actually makes sense for her to be a clone of Marth. Could Dark Pit be on the horizon? 

Given Fire Emblem having a lot of diverse moves and classes in itself, I don't see why they couldn't give Lucina more differences to her movepool. Takes less effort than imagining one completely from scratch when the work is done for you beyond implementing it in a fighting game.

I'm cool with this. Clones are pretty much bonus characters on the roster anyway.

The best part is that it actually makes sense for her to be a clone of Marth. Could Dark Pit be on the horizon?

Dear god I hope not. I was hoping this game wouldn't have many clones, Dark Pit could be more than a clone anyway. Someone said it earlier, Uprising has much that could be represented still.

Anyway, I hope clone characters in this aren't anymore common than they were in brawl. Which was barely iirc.

Agreed. I'd rather have them in the game than not at all. Plus, clone characters are almost always just as good, if not better than their original counter-parts and Marth was already top-tier (Before they nerfed him, anyways), so there's no doubt that Lucina will be too.

To be honest, if they're going to be clones, then I'd rather them not be in the game. I find it a lot more fun when characters have more differences to them; nothing wrong with sharing some moves from others, and it's even better if they were mixed from multiple characters, but I believe every character should stand strong on their own merits and fall on their own weaknesses than that of someone else's.

I mean, really, I actually like having Lucina in the game (would prefer Titania even more tho), I just hate that her moveset doesn't seem diverse enough from what we know. I'd love to be proven wrong about that, but I still stand by my point regarding clone characters. It just comes off as creatively lazy to me.

So not only is she an identical clone to Marth but they removed the one element of Marth's gameplay that really defined him and made him more interesting to play.

So essentially she is literally a more bring version of Marth. Man how lame, she could have been so much more interesting.

The irony is, taking those 12 seconds of game play at face value, Lucina looks better than Marth.

At least when comparing that footage to what people who have played the game know from having played Marth, Lucina looks to be generally faster, and having a much better air game. Most people who played the game agreed universally that Marth's been crippled, that his speed was reduced and that his air game isn't as potent. I think the reason people realized so fast that Lucina was a clone in this context is just because she looks a lot more similar to the Marth we are all familiar with.

I never thought Lucina would have been the best addition to the roster since her existence in Fire Emblem is literally as a bait-and-switch clone, and this was the only way you could probably approach a character like her in Smash (hence why I expected someone like Anna if Sakurai preferred original reps this time around). So she's basically going to be a "Melee" clone.

Can't call this a waste of a roster slot though.

Can't call this a waste of a roster slot though.

Clone or otherwise, I tend to shake my head at the whole "waste of a roster slot" statement when that often comes across as entitled to the point of saying "because I said so" over who should be in. That's one thing I'm glad Sakurai hardly gives a damn about given how entitled fans can be.

See this is why I don't understand why they'd give both versions separate release dates, if they have the same roster and features for the most part. This is why I think Smash U will have a few more extras that the 3DS doesn't have.

*shrug*

See this is why I don't understand why they'd give both versions separate release dates, if they have the same roster and features for the most part. This is why I think Smash U will have a few more extras that the 3DS doesn't have.

*shrug*

Of course it will. After all, 3DS has Smash Run, and Sakurai already made it clear that the key difference is that 3DS has different stages.

All of that will most likely be extended with the supplemental content. The only thing that's the same is the character roster, so we'll probably hear a lot more after the release of Smash 3DS.