Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

So...Lucina is essentially Marth's Falco/Roy? 

Eh, I can accept that. She's kind of a difficult character to put into smash at all really since she even mimics the kind of stuff Marth does in Smash Bros in her own game. Either way I'm glad she's in. 

So she has nothing in her game to give her any noticable differences in the way she fights? Absolutely nothing of her own at all? Or nothing in the Classes of her game that she can use to differentiate herself?

All FE characters fight using their base movesets, they don't fight with other classes. Robin would've been the more ideal character to fight using the skills of other classes, and not even Robin does that.

Lucina's base fighting style (as is the case for nearly every main Lord in the series) is pretty much the same as Marth. Chrom is slightly different, and Ike is basically a Mercenary class, which is how he's different from most other main sword Lords.

All FE characters fight using their base movesets, they don't fight with other classes. Robin would've been the more ideal character to fight using the skills of other classes, and not even Robin does that.

Lucina's base fighting style (as is the case for nearly every main Lord in the series) is pretty much the same as Marth. Chrom is slightly different, and Ike is basically a Mercenary class, which is how he's different from most other main sword Lords.

But that's weird, because Ike's base is a Ranger, and isn't Aether a Lord skill that he learns when promoted? So I don't see how they can't mix skills like that from other classes for Lucina.

But I digress...

As for how different the characters are, this is the first time they've had to clarify that she has an actual roster slot, and why. 

Honestly, this whole argument is RIDICULOUS, people would be complaining FAR MORE if Lucina was a completely original character because it would mean Fire Emblem gets two completely brand new reps instead of just one and a very easy clone. 

On what planet? This is crazy talk. I think it's fine if people are happy with this, but there is no way that the majority would be more satisfied with a clone than they would something entirely original. Yes, Lucina is obviously only in because of the minimum effort required, but most people don't think in these terms. Anyone who's going to bitch about "slots being taken up" (yes it's stupid) is going to bitch anyway. And that's exactly what's going on. 

And while "crippled" may have been pushing it, most second hand accounts from the game imply that Marth is overall slower and has a worse air game than he did in Brawl. Ken was notably among the people who pointed this out. Meanwhile Lucina exhibits speed more comparable to the Marth we all know.

This is comparing 12 seconds of footage between 2 separate builds of the game. There is no conclusive evidence that suggests she's faster. They could have very easily said that in their update. I mean, they bothered mentioning that she was slightly shorter and had power balanced throughout her blade. If the speed difference is big enough that people would even notice it, why not say it there?

Lucina is awesome.

Lucina is my love.

I will play as Lucina.

None of the hate will go past me.

Lucina is life.

My body is ready.

100% THIS. Lucina is my favourite FE character and I don't mind that she's pretty much a clone of Marth because I like her so much! I'll definitely be playing as Lucina and I'm going to ignore anyone moaning about her taken up a slot (which is ridiculous since it didn't take long to put her in, being a clone and all) and there being "too many FE characters bawww."

It's a popular series, she's a popular character. Deal with it.

Stuff

Ah fair enough, I get where you're coming from better now at least.

I'm one of the people who didn't expect Lucina to be her own rep because I thought she'd be too similar to Marth to be considered, even though she's really awesome, so I can't help but be happy with the way things turned out. I'm happy we get to play as her at all, since back in the Brawl hacking days I was content with giving Marth an alt. costume that resembled her, and now she even has her own name, audio, and maybe even Classic mode ending. For me, I'm happy with how she's turning out, especially since she fights just like Marth in her own series to begin with, and I don't like Marth that much despite his moveset being a lot of fun so using Lucina will be a great alternative.

• Thumbs Up 2

As for how different the characters are, this is the first time they've had to clarify that she has an actual roster slot, and why. 

On what planet? This is crazy talk. I think it's fine if people are happy with this, but there is no way that the majority would be more satisfied with a clone than they would something entirely original. Yes, Lucina is obviously only in because of the minimum effort required, but most people don't think in these terms. Anyone who's going to bitch about "slots being taken up" (yes it's stupid) is going to bitch anyway. And that's exactly what's going on.

People would complain about Lucina being more original because it means she took up more development time and FE doesn't need four characters anyway. FE fans wouldn't care, but everyone else would.

EDIT: Also, it looks like CoroCoro is going to announce the "entire" roster next month. Which basically just means we're going to know all the starting characters and stages, because for Brawl they didn't announce the entire roster anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah fair enough, I get where you're coming from better now at least.

I'm one of the people who didn't expect Lucina to be her own rep because I thought she'd be too similar to Marth to be considered, even though she's really awesome, so I can't help but be happy with the way things turned out. I'm happy we get to play as her at all, since back in the Brawl hacking days I was content with giving Marth an alt. costume that resembled her, and now she even has her own name, audio, and maybe even Classic mode ending. For me, I'm happy with how she's turning out, especially since she fights just like Marth in her own series to begin with, and I don't like Marth that much despite his moveset being a lot of fun so using Lucina will be a great alternative.

Wow...You know, you just reminded me of the Brawl hacks that were done that I practically forgotten about.

It might end up less of an issue with Lucina being a clone there if we get more information about her, and hopefully when someone get's around hacking the Wii-U version it might very well make the clone argument against her a non-issue, or less. Not that I play the hacks that much (clearly), but it shows that there's room for variety there.

People would complain about Lucina being more original because it means she took up more development time and FE doesn't need four characters anyway. FE fans wouldn't care, but everyone else would.

And like I said to SuperLink earlier, let them be. People will complain about something in this game regardless, since you're potentially kicking a beehive no matter what. Might as well wear a beekeeping suit no matter what.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some people would complain about Lucina, even if she were an original character instead of a clone and I think that's a bit silly. She's a popular character, was one of the most requested FE characters even though I didn't think she would make it in, and her playing similar to Marth makes sense since...well, she does play similar to him in her own game! This is why it doesn't annoy me that Lucina is a clone of Marth, because they're so alike already.

EDIT: Also, it looks like CoroCoro is going to announce the "entire" roster next month. Which basically just means we're going to know all the starting characters and stages, because for Brawl they didn't announce the entire roster anyway.

Ugh, i hope not. It's going to be so hard to avoid news about characters yet to be seen. .-.

That's an incredibly childish thing to get upset about IMO. 

Not saying it's likely but I actually could see them giving the entire roster before release. I realize that it's unprecedented for Smash but the conditions around this one are a bit different what with the 3DS version coming out before the Wii U version. Really though, we should take it with a grain of salt until we hear it from Nintendo. 

Based on what I read, though, CoroCoro said the exact same thing for Brawl, but there were still secret characters in Brawl no one knew about. My guess is it'll be the same thing here.

Also, I don't think all of the currently known characters will be starters, but I'd say most of them are, including Captain Falcon. Clones will probably all be unlockable again as will third-parties. Luigi will probably be unlockable as well, despite not being a clone.

With the Wii Fit Trainers, the male and female Robins, the Villagers, and Little Mac, varying their appearances and voices works just like selecting alternate color variations. However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually.

Sounds fair to me. She's basically an Alternate Skin +1, and they felt that +1 was enough to justify a separate spot on the character select screen. A fully unique moveset would've been nice, but it's just not in the cards, it seems.
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is comparing 12 seconds of footage between 2 separate builds of the game. There is no conclusive evidence that suggests she's faster. They could have very easily said that in their update. I mean, they bothered mentioning that she was slightly shorter and had power balanced throughout her blade. If the speed difference is big enough that people would even notice it, why not say it there?

I dunno, why didn't Sakurai mention Lucina's significantly lessened landing lag? He doesn't really spell out everything people actually notice.

I don't know. I don't have all the answers, maybe because the game still goes through regular balancing, maybe these things constantly change. All I have is guesstimation and approximation based on what is there, what we've heard and what I know is to be expected from Smash. All I'm sure about is that it's highly irregular of Sakurai to make a clone that has only one differentiating factor between characters, and one that arguably makes her a lesser character. Even the first clone, Luigi, had factors that made him a very different character than Mario. He had the exact same moves and even had the superb notable bonus that was the Fire Jump Punch, but he was arguably a worse character because he was made floatier to compensate.

Sakurai saying she has the same physical abilities does not mean she has the same properties, and I think the history of Smash in general stands in favor for slightly more alterations rather than just one minor addition, and in Marth's case this is especially true as the sweetspots of the sword dictate most of Marth's approach. If Lucina has everything but that, you have to reconsider the approach the character has with her moves.

So um, Lucina. She looks cool. And to me, she just seems like a glorified alt costume, but with her own slot. I'm okay with that.

Robin, YES. I never said it on this forum, but I've wanted Robin since I heard the game was coming out (and he was the only likely newcomer I wanted too, since Shadow, Lili Rochefort and Ridley are on that list, heh heh). He looks soooo fun, and Nosferatu is probably my favorite magic attack I've seen.

also there's that weird guy in the helmet who drives shopping carts and uses Eagle Slap or w/e

Kidding, so nice to see Captain Falcon again. He looks a bit different, too, design wise.

• Thumbs Up 1

So um, Lucina. She looks cool. And to me, she just seems like a glorified alt costume, but with her own slot. I'm okay with that.

Robin, YES. I never said it on this forum, but I've wanted Robin since I heard the game was coming out (and he was the only likely newcomer I wanted too, since Shadow, Lili Rochefort and Ridley are on that list, heh heh). He looks soooo fun, and Nosferatu is probably my favorite magic attack I've seen.

also there's that weird guy in the helmet who drives shopping carts and uses Eagle Slap or w/e

Kidding, so nice to see Captain Falcon again. He looks a bit different, too, design wise.

I feel bad for Chrom supporters, but this is definitely the best thing to happen. I never wanted Chrom, not because I didn't like him, but because of lack of roster variety. Especially on the FE cast. I always wanted an FE mage, and early on I thought "the Awakening Avatar would be great," which turned later into me 100% supporting Robin, with Robin basically replacing Lyn (disconfirmed) as my #3 most wanted character.

It also gives me hope we'll get both King K. Rool (#1) and Dixie Kong (#4), too. Before Robin, the only character who was even in my top 5 was Mega Man (Little Mac I did want, though).

• Thumbs Up 2

Nope. There is one. Three, even. Lucina explained!

72qgjb.jpg

Pic of the day. Along with Robin, Lucina joins the battle!! Her physical ablilites are identical to Marth's--it must be in her D.N.A. However, where Marth's power is concentrated in the tip of the sword, Lucina's attack strength is balanced throughout the weapon, which might make her easier to control. She's also a little bit shorter than Marth.

juab9s.jpg

With the Wii Fit Trainers, the male and female Robins, the Villagers, and Little Mac, varying their appearances and voices works just like selecting alternate color variations. However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually.

2rm5dt1.jpg

By the way…there's probably no chance you'll be able to see this in the game, but Lucina has the mark of Naga in her left eye.

Ughhhhhhhh, FML! She's just a god damn clone! I was afraid of this! Come on Sakuari, you're better then this...

"oh but it doesn't take much dev time so stop complainin-" YOU KNOW WHAT? I think that Lucina is a cool character and actually deserves more effort put into her then being a Marth clone. 

I feel bad for Chrom supporters, but this is definitely the best thing to happen. I never wanted Chrom, not because I didn't like him, but because of lack of roster variety. Especially on the FE cast. I always wanted an FE mage, and early on I thought "the Awakening Avatar would be great," which turned later into me 100% supporting Robin, with Robin basically replacing Lyn (disconfirmed) as my #3 most wanted character.

It also gives me hope we'll get both King K. Rool (#1) and Dixie Kong (#4), too. Before Robin, the only character who was even in my top 5 was Mega Man (Little Mac I did want, though).

I thought Chrom was an okay-ish character, but he was kind of... Boring, to me. I preferred Ike more, so maybe that's why. IDK. He's not really bad, just uninteresting to me.

And I forgot, I did want Lip and Takamaru as well, and I still do want them. I just don't know how likely it is. I also wanted Infernape but then Greninja happened sooooooo

He is. We got three original FE characters and one unexpected low-effort clone for fan service.

Win-win.

Yep, the only other Smash franchises with at least 3 unique characters are Kirby, Mario and Pokémon and Zelda. Fire Emblem is now in the big leagues, even Zelda still only has 3 unique characters in it. If I were a big FE fan I'd be pretty happy :P

• Thumbs Up 2

Yep, the only other Smash franchises with at least 3 unique characters are Kirby, Mario and Pokémon and Zelda. Fire Emblem is now in the big leagues, even Zelda still only has 3 unique characters in it. If I were a big FE fan I'd be pretty happy tongue.png

Zelda is probably going to upgrade to four (Ganondorf becomes original) and I think Donkey Kong has a huge chance of upgrading to three with possibly one more original clone (Dixie Kong; she'll probably play like a combination of DK and Diddy, but with a couple of different specials).

He is. We got three original FE characters and one unexpected low-effort clone for fan service.

Win-win.

Two of which were in previous games and had not nearly as much work done to them because they already had moves...

Two of which were in previous games and had not nearly as much work done to them because they already had moves...

The game is being built from ground up, they have been done from scratch, so just as much work as any other character.

Comparitively, all 3 of Mario's unique vets are returning, all 3 of Zelda's, and probably all 3 of Kirby's with Kirby probably not getting a new rep.

Fire Emblem has had more new work done to it than most Smash franchises.

Why does it matter how much "work" is done on them as long as they all are solid and unique in the end?

Seriously, sometimes it seems like we're just looking for things to be mad at.

• Thumbs Up 6

The game is being built from ground up, they have been done from scratch, so just as much work as any other character. Comparitively, all 3 of Mario's unique vets are returning, all 3 of Zelda's, and probably all 3 of Kirby's with Kirby probably not getting a new rep. Fire Emblem has had more new work done to it than most Smash franchises.

Actually this isn't the case. Quite a lot of resources have been recycled from Brawl for the sake of saving time and making development more efficient. Whilst Melee and Brawl reanimated every character from scratch, Smash 4 recycles quite a lot of Brawl animations. There are still a lot of fresh ones mind you, but only the newcomers are 100% original.

• Thumbs Up 4

Why does it matter how much "work" is done on them as long as they all are solid and unique in the end?

Seriously, sometimes it seems like we're just looking for things to be mad at.

They aren't though. Lucina is a clone and that's what I'm mad about.