Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I actually thought fighting games were evil when Brawl came out, so this is the first Smash game I got. So I liked it. I haven't got an Amiibo though, do they actually change the game that much?

I actually thought fighting games were evil when Brawl came out, so this is the first Smash game I got. So I liked it. I haven't got an Amiibo though, do they actually change the game that much?

The Amiibos doesn't really add anything. It just a better and smarter AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDvk3PMTVH0

Have I mentioned how much I love this game.

• Thumbs Up 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDvk3PMTVH0

Have I mentioned how much I love this game.

Game and Watch confirmed SSSSSSSSSS Tier

All ya' have to do is down tilt

Although that hitbox is amazingly tiny, most characters have a good down tilt that works out. Or using their ftilt and angling it downwards with proper spacing maybe. If this was used intelligently it'd be pretty broke tho'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klDfJ2Yb7wc

GUYS

MEWTWO'S RELEASE DATE ANNOUNCEMENT IS COMING SOON

HYYYYYYYPE omg

• Thumbs Up 5

Hnnnggg so excited~! Wonder if it's going to be a surprise announcement or mentioned in a Direct.

Speaking of Direct, we haven't had one for quite a while now.

Razor Wind said that the press are apparently attending some kind of Nintendo event next week, so I'd wager there miiiiiiiight just be a Direct on the horizon. :D

Razor Wind said that the press are apparently attending some kind of Nintendo event next week, so I'd wager there miiiiiiiight just be a Direct on the horizon. :D

I'm expecting a direct early next month as well. There's several known Nintendo events coming up very soon. One is a shareholder event I believe (for discussing profits over the past few months) and I also heard about a press event, too. So yeah, its probably a direct. We're due for information on a LOT of games as well.

Its about time we get some info on mewtwo, we will probably get a Nintendo direct or something soon. I hope the release date isn't too far when they announced it.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/03/22/sakurai-says-takamaru-would-have-been-playable-in-smash-bros-if-he-were-better-known/

ooooooooh snap

I didn't think how well known a character was had anything to do with whether they got in Smash or not

It doesn't, not really otherwise Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, Game and Watch, ROB, Roy, Marth, Ness, etc wouldn't be in smash, Sakurai makes his own choices and a number of his articles have contradicted each other on his choosing methods

Also if awareness and popularity were such a big fact, why hasn't K.Rool been in since melee :P

It's amazing just how popular Smash 4 is here on campus. I've logged around 75 hours or so playing with friends since the beggining of this semester; I think I'm pretty Smashed out for a little while, excluding Friday tournaments.

Is King K.Rool actually that popular by himself though?

He's got a strong western following in most of the smash communities(In NA and EU) and on miiverse, and enough popularity in Japan to show up pretty high whenever smash candidates are discussed and pulled. He's got a good amount of popularity and potential

Don't get me wrong, there are a few other strong candidates left too, but with Ridley and Mewtwo out of the running K.Rool is considered on of the stronger ones

Don't get me wrong though, an Inkling, Issac, RayMK, etc would be cool though

I'm surprised Sakurai was that concerned about popularity. A lot of Smash 4's newcomers are relatively unknown in the grad scheme of things. Most of the popular choices were covered by the time Brawl was out

I would imagine there were other factors at play as well, such as how much Takamaru's conceit overlapped with other characters.  If Takamaru was unknown but there weren't any other historical human sword-wielders in the game, that might have been a different matter; popularity was just the clincher.

Funny thing, I actually thought Takamaru was going to be playable this time. I liked his design and whatnot, and elemental powers would've been cool. We don't have many electric users in Smoosh Bruhs. :D

Blitz already covered it well but I thought it was well known that Sakurai uses multiple factors in deciding on the cast. In Melee, 4 newcomers were chosen for popularity and 4 were chosen for unique ideas, he literally said this, it's nothing new.

I imagine Brawl and SSB4's casts were chosen in similar ways. We have always known that there are multiple factors that decide different Smash characters.

• Popularity
  • Move potential
  • Legacy/Importance to Nintendo history
  • Celebrating obscurity
  • Relevance
  • Uniqueness
  • Representing a franchise that is not yet represented
  • Representing a popular or important franchise
  • Much much more than many of us probably haven't even realised.

All of these factors apply in different ways to different characters and they're all balanced when deciding the roster. Takamaru is not that popular anywhere, and his game was Japan-only until very recently. Ice Climbers on the other hand are extremely unique and that's the reason I miss them most.

It's naive to think popularity and relevance don't apply in any way to Smash's cast just like it's naive to think popularity and relevance are the only factors involved. Takamaru may represent an unrepped series and have a cult following but his original game wasn't that great and doesn't have many fans, plus he just doesn't have uniqueness on his side like many other newcomers do. All that and, making him a clone would be doing him an injustice in its own way. Wouldn't be surprised if other slightly obscure swordusers like Robin and Shulk were chosen over him for many other obvious reasons and factors.

And sure not every decision made on the roster is perfect in everyone's eyes but that's the nature of making a game for such a huge audience of different tastes. The lack of new DK content is weird but that's not because Sakurai outright ignored things like popularity.

• Thumbs Up 3

I never said it was the only factor though, I already knew it wasn't. :V But I didn't know popularity was /much/ of a factor, at least.

I was mostly responding to Mando and the current topic at hand not you ^^; sorry I shoulda made that more clear.

• Thumbs Up 1