Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Inklings are lower than K.Rool

How can you do this to me internet??

• Thumbs Up 7

K. Rool is one of those characters who I have no personal experience with and whose character design I think is just horrible, but that just lends him a kind of underdog status that makes me look kindly upon his chances.  I think he's the very definition of a left-field weird fan choice as a character, even if the logic of him as a recurring Donkey Kong villain makes a lot of sense on its own.  And I think it's pretty amusing that, after the shoo-in Inklings, he's kind of the next most popular realistic choice besides Isaac when the two of them are basically complete opposites.

I already can't wait to analyse the meaning of whatever characters end up winning out, and I don't even own the games.  What an awful hell the next few months to a year will be.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm in a similar position. I've little to no experience with K. Rool, but honestly? I think his design is fuckin' atrocious.

There are sooooooo many characters that I would rather make it in, given the choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

>Knuckles is the Sonic character with the most votes on the poll

bkwKq.gif

The Sonic fanbase / gaming community has made me proud today.

• Thumbs Up 5

Knuckles shouldn't be in Smash.

He would infinite jump right back from anything and break the game!

• Thumbs Up 5

People are just voting Knuckles because the people on /r/SmashBros think "[insert game] & Knuckles" is the most hilarious meme ever (bonus point if it features Dante from the Devil May Cry series)

Glad to hear Isaac is way up there....but kinda surprised Geno isn't higher than 3.3%. o_O

I don't care that much about Knuckles (I mean, I like him, but not that much) so I'd be pretty "eh" about him being in Smash. If they were ever going to include more characters from third party series that already have a rep--which I don't think they'd do unless there was a LOT of demand for a particular character or something--I'd go with Eggman as the second Sonic character.

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 3

I just can't imagine why, of all possibilities throughout decades of gaming, people would think Red Sonic is a worthwhile choice.

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly I'm just happy Knuckles has more votes than Shadow more than anything else. :U I can think of five characters I'd prefer to make it in Smash over him.

I really doubt guest fighters would even be able to get more than one rep, especially over first/second-party characters and other highly-requested fighters. I think at the very least the top 20 characters is a good basis to see who are the most-requested characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

K. Rool is one of those characters who I have no personal experience with and whose character design I think is just horrible, but that just lends him a kind of underdog status that makes me look kindly upon his chances.  I think he's the very definition of a left-field weird fan choice as a character, even if the logic of him as a recurring Donkey Kong villain makes a lot of sense on its own.  And I think it's pretty amusing that, after the shoo-in Inklings, he's kind of the next most popular realistic choice besides Isaac when the two of them are basically complete opposites.

I already can't wait to analyse the meaning of whatever characters end up winning out, and I don't even own the games.  What an awful hell the next few months to a year will be.

As you guys know I am a K.Rool fan, so I'll clarify a few things from my perspective, as a guy who grew up with DKC GBC/GBA, then got a re-surged interest the other year

A) Yes Mario is the villian of the original Donkey Kong, but he has never actually fought the Current, Iconic DK, who is the descendant of the arcade version(who is Cranky Kong), and the Mario of today is characterized far differently from JumpMan who only ever fought DK once(well and that time he caught him). K.Rool is the iconic villian of all the original DKC games, DK64, even the Gameboy and DS games and the wii spinoff

B) Design preference is always going to be different due to personal bias, and yes is a touch ugly, he is a crocodile, on the other hand, he's a deranged crocodile who will do whatever it takes to destroy the Kongs, and takes on different persona's to help him shake up his strategy

*Also keep in mind, if he did make into smash, and was confirmed for an eventual DKC6, he would get a Retro redesign(which they do have skill at) along with Sakurai and his team making a version that not only emphasizes the character's personality over his history, but that also fits into smash

C) Moveset potential is another major thing, and well, just go over to the smashboards K.Rool thread for that http://smashboards.com/threads/k-rools-kremling-kutthroats-get-onto-smashbros-com-and-krocthevote-time-for-our-finest-hour.324259/ 

He also has a strong, committed, but relatively polite fanbase who back him all the way, and both due to nostalgia, interest, and fandom. He as just as much right and chance to be in Smash as Mewtwo, Wolf, Isaac, and any character in the running... and he would be awesome.

also BK would be cool, but still extremely unlikely, unless a deal was struck for Rare VC(which would make MC quite a bit since a lot of their games would sell and appeal to Nintendo's audience over their own)

Also, I'm probably going to vote for Bomberman as well, he deserves to be in smash(and under Nintendo's control, but thats another matter) 

Isaac, Ray Mk, Wonder Red, and Sami are also deserving, but I don't know if I'll have a chance to vote for them

• Thumbs Up 2

Guys

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/584023190692737024

Could it be possible

could it

This was posted earlier. It's not likely to amount to anything. A Microsoft guy saying that they're open to working with Nintendo doesn't matter.

Just about any videogame developer would let Nintendo use their characters for Smash Bros. It's free advertising. Snake would be back in Smash 3DS/Wii U if Nintendo wanted him, but they didn't. Hell, Wayforward wants to get Shantae in Smash, and is even using a hashtag of it on Twitter, but Nintendo knowing that they're open to it isn't enough. They have to decide themselves if the character is appropriate or worthwhile. Would they feel that way about Banjo, or indeed any other third party character? Time will tell, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

• Thumbs Up 6

This was posted earlier. It's not likely to amount to anything. A Microsoft guy saying that they're open to working with Nintendo doesn't matter.

Just about any videogame developer would let Nintendo use their characters for Smash Bros. It's free advertising. Snake would be back in Smash 3DS/Wii U if Nintendo wanted him, but they didn't. Hell, Wayforward wants to get Shantae in Smash, and is even using a hashtag of it on Twitter, but Nintendo knowing that they're open to it isn't enough. They have to decide themselves if the character is appropriate or worthwhile. Would they feel that way about Banjo, or indeed any other third party character? Time will tell, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Yes, at first I thought Konami prevented Snake from getting in, but apparently not. It was Nintendo. That's also why I think Snake will not happen now either, because they were very capable of getting him in before, but Konami is not supporting Nintendo with Metal Gear, so Nintendo does not feel open to the idea of getting Snake into the game.

Shantae I think might be a decent third-party contender, though, since she has pretty much been mostly on Nintendo platforms. Shovel Knight... I don't think Shovel Knight will happen because there's no Japanese support at all. I don't know how much support Shantae has, but Shovel Knight is not in Japan at all right now.

Odds are, though, the characters that would be most likely to make it in are Nintendo characters. Most of the biggest Nintendo characters are already in the game, the only ones I can really think of that are missing are King K. Rool and Dixie Kong. Isaac and Inklings seem to be the top ones right now for new franchises, though Isaac probably has a bit more backing since GS has been around longer.

Inklings mainly have support since Splatoon is coming out very soon while GS has not seen a game in a while. So it is really nice to see how much support GS is still getting even though its last game was 2010. Granted, part of that has to do with his cut AT (which, obviously, he wouldn't have much of any support at all if his AT was still in the game).

Honestly, I am a bit shocked I haven't seen as much Bandana Dee support lately. On Smashboards I hardly see anyone talking about him and not much elsewhere like on Youtube either. SSMB is mostly just talking about third-parties it seems.

Its difficult for me to gauge who the most discussed ones are, but based on everything I've seen King K. Rool does seem to be the top candidate right now (which I expected). I don't know about support for third-parties or anything, I do know that Shovel Knight, Rayman, and Shantae seem to be popular mentions, but again, Shovel Knight has the issue of no Japanese fanbase.

Granted, this is for newcomers. Wolf is by far the top one, but the general consensus is that Wolf is basically guaranteed right now with Lucas already in (who would seem to be the lesser requested character compared to Wolf). Snake is commonly suggested as well but considering the fact that it now appears Nintendo were the ones who denied Snake, I'd say that Snake's odds are slim.

Anyway... K. Rool and Isaac... all I've wanted since the start. ^^

• Thumbs Up 2

To be honest, as far as Rare reps go I personally would've gone with Joanna Dark. There was a sneaky reference to Carrington in Melee, so I'm sure she was on the cards before the MS buyout. And I'm legitimately curious what kind of approach they would have gone with her had Sakurai had the chance.

That's not to say I don't see or understand where all the demand for Banjo comes from, though.

Wait a minute, is the music in the lucus trailer remixed? If so its a possibility that more music could come right?

The second part of the music sounded remixed not the first one

Yes, at first I thought Konami prevented Snake from getting in, but apparently not. It was Nintendo. That's also why I think Snake will not happen now either, because they were very capable of getting him in before, but Konami is not supporting Nintendo with Metal Gear, so Nintendo does not feel open to the idea of getting Snake into the game.

Shantae I think might be a decent third-party contender, though, since she has pretty much been mostly on Nintendo platforms. Shovel Knight... I don't think Shovel Knight will happen because there's no Japanese support at all. I don't know how much support Shantae has, but Shovel Knight is not in Japan at all right now.

Odds are, though, the characters that would be most likely to make it in are Nintendo characters. Most of the biggest Nintendo characters are already in the game, the only ones I can really think of that are missing are King K. Rool and Dixie Kong. Isaac and Inklings seem to be the top ones right now for new franchises, though Isaac probably has a bit more backing since GS has been around longer.

Inklings mainly have support since Splatoon is coming out very soon while GS has not seen a game in a while. So it is really nice to see how much support GS is still getting even though its last game was 2010. Granted, part of that has to do with his cut AT (which, obviously, he wouldn't have much of any support at all if his AT was still in the game).

Honestly, I am a bit shocked I haven't seen as much Bandana Dee support lately. On Smashboards I hardly see anyone talking about him and not much elsewhere like on Youtube either. SSMB is mostly just talking about third-parties it seems.

Its difficult for me to gauge who the most discussed ones are, but based on everything I've seen King K. Rool does seem to be the top candidate right now (which I expected). I don't know about support for third-parties or anything, I do know that Shovel Knight, Rayman, and Shantae seem to be popular mentions, but again, Shovel Knight has the issue of no Japanese fanbase.

Granted, this is for newcomers. Wolf is by far the top one, but the general consensus is that Wolf is basically guaranteed right now with Lucas already in (who would seem to be the lesser requested character compared to Wolf). Snake is commonly suggested as well but considering the fact that it now appears Nintendo were the ones who denied Snake, I'd say that Snake's odds are slim.

Anyway... K. Rool and Isaac... all I've wanted since the start. ^^

If Nintendo was indeed the one to deny Snake, him doing well here would show Nintendo that they possibly made the wrong decision, no?

I'd say Nintendo being the problem with Snake's return is the more desirable choice here.

If Nintendo was indeed the one to deny Snake, him doing well here would show Nintendo that they possibly made the wrong decision, no?

I'd say Nintendo being the problem with Snake's return is the more desirable choice here.

Again, the main issue behind it is that if Nintendo chose not to bring back Snake, its probably due to the fact that Konami have not been supporting Nintendo consoles. That has absolutely nothing to do with how many people want Snake in the game. If they chose to leave out Snake, they flat-out knew they'd be alienating a lot of fans but did it anyway.

I'm sure they were well aware that, yes, Snake was a popular character in Brawl, this wasn't about the fans. It was about Konami's lack of support for Nintendo with the MGS franchise, so they handed that to other companies' franchises who were supportive of Nintendo in the past.

We'll have to see how things play out, of course. If another third-party got pretty high as well, they might consider looking towards someone else who is actually supporting Nintendo hardware. (Or perhaps even considering a different Konami character/franchise who is more associated with Nintendo.)

• Thumbs Up 2

I know what you are saying. I'm saying if Nintendo sees how many people still want him, they could change their stance. That happening is more likely than if there were any other problems

And for what it's worth, at the time the only recent MGS game was Twin Snakes, other games like MGS2 and 3 were skipped. Now the latest is MGS 3D, with MGS V being skipped. The situation hasn't changed all that much.